Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

2house2fly posted:

I've seen people heap praise on series 9 in some corners of the net and I don't get it at all. By the time the zygon episodes came around I was relieved at how politically iffy they were because Christ at least there was something about them that was interesting.

I was convinced there was something more to it and it was all gonna make a lot of sense in retrospect.

When it was all done, it.... kinda did. Sorta. A little. Maybe? ....but not really :sigh:

But gently caress it we got Heaven Sent out of it so in the end it was all worth it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I quite like Under The Lake / Before The Flood, but I think they were probably one more draft away from being very good.

Heaven Sent is quite good though, barring the part where I just can't bring myself to care about 12 or Clara. Face The Raven is in the same boat, too.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
My boyfriend skipped Capaldi, and I was thinking of giving him a list of highlights, and it would probably end up being about 10 episodes and lots of ‘ok this 10 minutes of Deep Breath’ ‘five minutes near the end of Zygon inversion, but don’t look too deeply at the meaning of the words’ bits.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Open Source Idiom posted:

I quite like Under The Lake / Before The Flood, but I think they were probably one more draft away from being very good.

Yeah I quite liked it too. Especially the rock intro to the second one.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Under the Lake was very good, it didn't stick the landing though

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Yeah, absolutely. There's something about the future sections that don't work very well, with the way the episode handles its guest cast. It does have that absolutely killer moment where that crewmember is being stalked, though.

I do appreciate how it's one of the few stories -- actually, I think it's the only story -- that season to set up the Face The Raven stuff with Clara struggling to position herself as the Doctor. (Oh, okay, technically The Witch's Familiar tries this as well, but mostly by making Clara actually loving magic at solving technobabble in a way that's deeply unbelievable.) Before The Flood's also got an interesting moment of hypocrisy for the Doctor, as he yaps on about the immutability of death and the impossibility of saving people from their predestined fates.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The biggest problem with that one on a visual level was that they did not know how the shoot the suit out doors.

That was one of the more impressive 'monster' suits they've come up with but the way they shot it kinda diminished that whole thing

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Much like a parrot it looks amazing from the side and goofy from the front

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I didn't even realize that Under The Lake's quality was a controversial point.

Really, if an ep is going to have a problem, I'd prefer it be the effects and costumes and not the script.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Which is the best Doctor Who DVD commentary? I only have Curse of Fenric and Remembrance of the Daleks on DVD and want some funny commentary.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Goofy-looking, yet still menacing monsters seems to be DW's strong point, starting back with the Daleks

The Fisher King was an interesting concept and I hope they'll bring it back in the audios

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

marktheando posted:

Which is the best Doctor Who DVD commentary? I only have Curse of Fenric and Remembrance of the Daleks on DVD and want some funny commentary.

The secret commentary track on The Five Doctors.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

marktheando posted:

The War Games is quite fun I remember

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Alternatively just watch The War Games

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Well both those stories are great so I’ll order both of them!

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

marktheando posted:

Anything with Peter Davison on it usually has a great mix of insight and humour. You'll never see Turlough in the same light again...

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

FreezingInferno posted:

The secret commentary track on The Five Doctors.

Seconded, it's worth the price of entry alone.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

marktheando posted:

Arc of Inanity Infinity is really entertaining, with Peter Davison, Colin Baker, Janet Fielding, and Sarah Sutton:

quote:

Baker: The last time I saw you lying on the ground like that you turned into me.

Davison: Fate worse then death, Colin.

If you're unsure about buying it, remember that it comes in a boxed set with that other all-time classic, Time-Flight!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

marktheando posted:

The movie one with Paul McGann, Nick Briggs and (?) Sylvester McCoy. Home of McGann's, "Oh, look. Are those stairs going to light up when he steps on them?" quip when Eric Roberts announces that he likes to drezzzzz for the occasion.

The companion one from "The Five Doctors" with Janet Fielding, Carole Ann Ford, Nicholas Courtney and (?) Mark Strickland where they all join in on the mind probe line is pretty good too.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Vinylshadow posted:

Goofy-looking, yet still menacing monsters seems to be DW's strong point, starting back with the Daleks

The Fisher King was an interesting concept and I hope they'll bring it back in the audios

I mean, it was just an alien dictator.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The War Games is quite fun I remember

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Alternatively just watch The War Games

marktheando posted:

Well both those stories are great so I’ll order both of them!

Good call

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Jerusalem posted:

Time for your semi-regular reminder that this loving ruled, does rule, and always will rule:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e71KWwE5Fk

"Calling the War Council of Gallifrey.... this is the Doctor!" :hellyeah:

"Oh, for god's sake, Gallifrey stands!"

I saw as one of Vue's special event things and this was the cinema's reaction:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VDgOXVsosg

Also, from Day of the Doctor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cbQVfVfSrI

"You know, I really think you might." :tviv:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

marktheando posted:

Outside of the others already mentioned, I'm a big fan of The Brain of Morbius, because they're all enjoying Philip Madoc so much :allears:

TinTower posted:

God drat did the 50th rule, from start to finish I was just so happy :)

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Jerusalem posted:

I was convinced there was something more to it and it was all gonna make a lot of sense in retrospect.

When it was all done, it.... kinda did. Sorta. A little. Maybe? ....but not really :sigh:

But gently caress it we got Heaven Sent out of it so in the end it was all worth it!

I kinda liked the pay-off to the Hybrid thing, and how it revealed that Missy put Clara and the Doctor together in hopes they'd break the loving universe, and it NEARLY WORKED. :allears:
but a lot of season 9 was rocky. Aside from the Doctor's incredible speech at the end, the Zygon two-parter is rubbish. Sleep No More might be the worst episode of Capaldi's run, and I might put it in the bottom ten of Moffat's tenure. the season opening two-parter is really uneven. Maisie Williams is a pretty limited actress, which isn't a problem in her first episode, where the character's entirely within her wheelhouse, but becomes more of a problem in every subsequent episode.
but I have a lot of fondness for Under the Lake/Before the Flood, Face the Raven is dope, Heaven Sent is unimpeachable, and that Capaldi masterclass showcase everyone was waiting for when they cast him. and I like Hell Bent more than most.
season 8 is more consistent and coherent, and season 10 is more fun, but 9 is weird and sort of experimental in a way I find fascinating. It doesn't work the way Moffat wanted, but I'm sort of expecting Chibnall's first season is going to most closely resemble a more upbeat version of it, structurally.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

TinTower posted:

Also, from Day of the Doctor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cbQVfVfSrI

I enjoy this scene but I'm completely baffled by it from a narrative standpoint.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
The Curator is just a wise old man who inspires the 11th Doctor. That's about it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

CommonShore posted:

I enjoy this scene but I'm completely baffled by it from a narrative standpoint.

I'm no Who expert but it seems relatively clear that it's implying he's the doctor many regenerations from now in the distant future and he just decided to take on some of his old faces as he went.

But also its just fanservice, not plot development, so you can just chalk it up to a weird curator and the Doctor reading into things.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

CommonShore posted:

Who knows?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
When Four is about to regenerate, his final words are "it's the end... but The Moment has been prepared for."

So that explains it.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

CommonShore posted:

I think you're kind of supposed to be. The Fourth Doctor basically shows up and says "Oh, by the way, I'm still here, after all this time...or maybe I'm not? It's terribly tiring, this whole Schrodinger's Doctor business. :haw: Anyway, so nice to meet you, or meet me, or not to exist at all. Jellybaby?"

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It just seems like Doctor Who makes no sense if you're the type that cares deeply about canon and continuity. No? You just gotta go for the ride.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Jerusalem posted:

Outside of the others already mentioned, I'm a big fan of The Brain of Morbius, because they're all enjoying Philip Madoc so much :allears:

God drat did the 50th rule, from start to finish I was just so happy :)

There are two cases in all of Doctor who that I literally shouted out loud at the screen “OH MY loving GOD!”

One was the very first reveal of the Master in the new series. The other was when I heard that voice. :aaaaa:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I really thought the Leela yo-yo scene from Robots of Death was the one where the Doctor explained how the TARDIS was bigger-on-the-inside with a tautology, but I'm wrong (although it is a great scene). Does anyone remember what I mean? I think it might be in The Talons of Weng-Chiang? I swear it's the Fourth Doctor, but maybe I'm wrong. It'd be totally up Two's alley, maybe Six's.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

howe_sam posted:

Who knows?

Who.

Nose.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CommonShore posted:

The narrative/plot/continuity reasons are all,"It's the 50th and we've got Tom Baker so goddammit we're gonna use him."

I fully support, applaud and embrace this line of thinking.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

I really thought the Leela yo-yo scene from Robots of Death was the one where the Doctor explained how the TARDIS was bigger-on-the-inside with a tautology, but I'm wrong (although it is a great scene). Does anyone remember what I mean? I think it might be in The Talons of Weng-Chiang? I swear it's the Fourth Doctor, but maybe I'm wrong. It'd be totally up Two's alley, maybe Six's.

The one with the two boxes? That's definitely from Robots of Death like you say:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvnKXOGYKM8

Unless I'm misunderstanding your question?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

CommonShore posted:

Well you see, at some point among his first three incarnations the Doctor met up with this museum curator, and evidently they got on so well the Doctor took on his face. The Curator knows a bit about Time Lord regeneration and assumed the Eleventh Doctor, who looked younger, was in fact a younger version of the man he'd met

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jerusalem posted:

The narrative/plot/continuity reasons are all,"It's the 50th and we've got Tom Baker so goddammit we're gonna use him."

I fully support, applaud and embrace this line of thinking.

2house2fly posted:

Well you see, at some point among his first three incarnations the Doctor met up with this museum curator, and evidently they got on so well the Doctor took on his face. The Curator knows a bit about Time Lord regeneration and assumed the Eleventh Doctor, who looked younger, was in fact a younger version of the man he'd met

These two things reconcile perfectly.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I am surprised that no one has made a YouTube Poop of the Rosie Ball story mashed with the Curator’s bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jerusalem posted:

The one with the two boxes? That's definitely from Robots of Death like you say:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvnKXOGYKM8

Unless I'm misunderstanding your question?

I'm sorry, the Robots of what?

• Locked thread