Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

SpazmasterX posted:

How long have you been playing? Do you usually play solo?

~180 hours, and I almost always play solo. I don't know how playing in a team will make my reflexes better or stop me from getting outmatched when it comes to small 1v1s. I've got no friends around my skill level, though I do occasionally play with two separate groups. One group are guys way worse than me, and the other are guys way better than me. So in the former, I'm top of the scoreboard, and they're all having a bad time because they're dying so much. I usually bail and let them play by themselves cause I feel like a scumbag when they're nonstop dying because my rank influences who they get matched against. In the latter, I'm pretty much being carried and doing nothing.

Both situations aren't fun, cause either I'm stealing enjoyment from my friends, or my friends are taking enjoyment from me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Kikas posted:

I actually prefer the dig delay on Ash's launcher cause it means I get a while after shooting to switch to my main gun. With Zofia I always feel so exposed when I blast a wall, cause if I don't kill whatever's behind it, I'm stuck holding my gadget and not my gun, most likely meaning I'm dead.

lol i never even considered this because i often found myself just forcing a reload from cover afterwards during the delay

there was a goon in discord that loved to breach the first soft wall/door like this and rush into the building so quickly with their gun up and ready that the defenders wouldn't even expect it. it owned when it worked

Q8ee posted:

Both situations aren't fun, cause either I'm stealing enjoyment from my friends, or my friends are taking enjoyment from me.

you might be overthinking things bro

if you are carrying your team then that's cool and it gives them room to safely try new things

if you're being carried take the opportunity to experiment yourself

stop looking at rank and scoreboard for a while and just try to take advantage of the sheer amount of different ways you can approach the same situations in this game.

i play a lot of solo ranked when i'm not with friends because the matchmaker is more stable and the random people you encounter tend to be less toxic more often than not. my rank bounces around constantly because i will go from playing purely for the objective to just roaming around and shooting people like its TDM. there are a lot of people like me that solo que ranked and just treat it like deathmatch - its a big reason why operators like vigil/jager and really most 3 speeds in general are so popular.

the cool thing about siege is that once you get burnt out on a certain play style you can totally switch it up and do a support/recon role. on top of this, literally every operator has something about them that lets you break the mold and surprise the enemy with so take advantage of that if you feel like you're getting stuck in a rut.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

definitely not overthinking, I can hear my friends who aren't good at the game get more agitated as rounds go on, and sighing exponentially increases as they slowly become fed up with how things pan out, but are too polite to say anything. if I'm dead and I'm spectating them, it's easy to see they're outmatched and are getting tired of how bullshit it can feel. they tend to have much more fun when I'm not in the group because it's more of a level playing field. 180 hours vs 20 hours.

the bit about ignoring the scoreboard and just trying different roles each time and not taking it so seriously is something I'm definitely going to try. I usually wait until everyone has picked their class so I can pick someone who meshes well with the group dynamic, but this can get a bit boring as I usually end up just taking rook or doc. I ought to roam more.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Something you can find in team games if you're a team player is that simply being a team player can carry you higher than your individual skills warrant until you eventually hit a wall where you can no longer compensate and you get dumpstered. The suggestion to just stop playing the objective and run around shooting dudes is a good one for fixing this.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I can't for the life of me properly track moving targets at close range when using acogs. No such issues with other sights.

Someone has recommended to make ADS sensitivity the same as non-ADS sensitivity and I did that but it feels really hosed up since if I make the non-ADS sensitivity the way I usually do (full mouse mat swipe = 180 degree turn) then the ADS sensitivity is way too high and my aim ends up jittering a lot in ADS, or if I set the sensitivity low enough so that ADS is comfortable to use then it's way too low for just turning around.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

It's why I stopped usiing acogs. Unless I KNOW I'm staying outside, like as dok on house, I always equip a red dot or reflex. Much better for cqb, imo

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Jack Trades posted:

I can't for the life of me properly track moving targets at close range when using acogs. No such issues with other sights.

Someone has recommended to make ADS sensitivity the same as non-ADS sensitivity and I did that but it feels really hosed up since if I make the non-ADS sensitivity the way I usually do (full mouse mat swipe = 180 degree turn) then the ADS sensitivity is way too high and my aim ends up jittering a lot in ADS, or if I set the sensitivity low enough so that ADS is comfortable to use then it's way too low for just turning around.

What's your vert/hor and ADS sensitivity? I find myself having the same problem after playing for 6-7 months until I changed it

I cranked my ADS to 70 and played thunt attack to get a feel for it, and I was surprised at how precise and quick I was able to aim.

70 as a little high though so I've since been dialing it down and experimenting. Right now it's 60 I think. Give it a decent shot, play a couple of rounds of thunt attack Solo and try to 3 speed rush it while only going for headshot

Also listen to some Carpenter Brut while doing it, really gets the blood flowing

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Penpal posted:

What's your vert/hor and ADS sensitivity? I find myself having the same problem after playing for 6-7 months until I changed it

I cranked my ADS to 70 and played thunt attack to get a feel for it, and I was surprised at how precise and quick I was able to aim.

70 as a little high though so I've since been dialing it down and experimenting. Right now it's 60 I think. Give it a decent shot, play a couple of rounds of thunt attack Solo and try to 3 speed rush it while only going for headshot

Also listen to some Carpenter Brut while doing it, really gets the blood flowing

I changed XFactorAiming to 1 and AimDownSightsMouse to 100 in the config file, which results in ADS sensitivity being the same as non-ADS sensitivity (normally it's lower).
My vertical and horizontal sensitivity is also at 5, not that it'll tell you anything since it depends on the mouse DPI.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Oh yeah completely forgot to mention I'm at 800. You do you but if you're having a problem tracking closer targets with a zoom you just need higher ADS speed, and I Iooked into the multiplier when I first started and gave up on it. After spending a ton of time with the game I've just gone with what feels right. Having your ADS be 1:1 with hip fire left me feeling a bit sluggish when I tried it months and months ago

ten_twentyfour
Jan 24, 2008

Q8ee posted:

I need advice that isn't just "get gud". I've never been amazing at FPS games, but I've been above average. I really, really, really love Rainbow Six, it's an amazing game. But I keep losing steam and all motivation to play it, because I prefer Ranked (as I feel it's the best way to improve / go up against players of my own skill level, Casual is such a coin toss on how tough your opponents will be).

However, Ranked really fucks me over. It's as if there isn't a skill bracket for my level. When I'm in high Silver, I dominate, it's no competition, I top the scoreboard. Then I get the inevitable rank up to low Gold, and it's the complete opposite. There's no middle ground. I'm either 100% wrecking (which in itself isn't really fun, as my opponents don't use sound and have poor reflexes, so there's no challenge), or I'm getting wrecked (which is no fun because who wants to die all the time). In low Gold, I play it safe, but it just boils down to my reflexes / reaction times not being as good as the person I come up against. I'll see them, fire, but my aim isn't great, and they'll just flick and headshot me.

I'm in a perpetual state of non-stop winning games, ranking up, and then non-stop losing until I derank back to high Silver. I usually binge on the game when I'm high Silver, but when I'm in Gold, it's just such a slog and I end up giving up and not touching the game again. I really want to play right now, but the thought of going through 5 games of just being dominated is a huge turn off.

Sounds like your mmr is high silver low gold? Only way to improve skill is to play. Play casual if ranked is giving you stress (it will).

Qubee
May 31, 2013

just played 4 games, I was gonna put the advice I was given to use, but I was in Silver so I just sorta ran around curbstomping. once I rank up, I'll give it a go.

and the problem is, I'm a casual player. with uni and life responsibilities, I don't have the time to sink in to this game to get good. I've sorta plateaued, it's pretty much just my reflexes holding me back. map knowledge is at a good level, I utilize sound, I rotate and attack from different angles. I just get sorely outmatched when it comes to putting my reticle on their heads. the few games I can squeeze in, I just want it to feel like poo poo's evenly balanced / matched, instead of it being so drastic of a swing and a coin toss whether I win or lose.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Play some more roam-y ops so you can flank people and take who headshots who first more out of the equation.

and no offense dude but there's no way there's not room for you to improve in other areas beyond just reflexes at low gold. At high gold there's still ways to outplay people that don't at all involve that; the best player in my group who sits solidly in platinum while the rest of us teeter around gold has some of the worst aim of all of us, but he gets kills because he plays the maps insanely well.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

nah none taken, reading what you said, I realised I was talking poo poo, there's definitely room for me to improve. I'm just tunnel visioning on most of my deaths which are usually cause of them reacting faster than me, but your advice of roaming more to totally negate that is pretty good.

on the topic of roaming, I find I'm too scared to roam cause I'm so paranoid about making noise. I know footsteps from normal walking are quite loud. how difficult is it for an opponent to hear me if I'm alt-walking / crouching? do they need to be right near me to pick up the sounds? when I look around or reload, are those noises audible quite clearly, or does the opponent have to be very close to me?

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

the sound alone is a major reason i play this game so much

using the walk key is the best way to creep around. move from cover to cover or corner to corner. don't be afraid to sprint when its safe.

a very good player is going to hear every noise you make. the most basic tip for someone getting into this is to simply move sporadically. if you're just shuffling along, a player that has developed map knowledge will find it much easier to predictably track when you will expose yourself.

after a while you will get comfortable with the basics. now to level up your stealth you can start practicing moving loudly when "things are happening". gunshots, breaches, people breaking boards or reinforcing things... all of these sorts of things can be used to mask your sound. if op4 is smart you'll still be on their echolocation radar but they won't be able to really pinpoint what you're doing.

some people use sound against like-minded players to bait them. every time you crouch or lay down jt has an audible que. and then some will even taunt by spamming these shuffling sounds as a sort of "come at me bro"

of my favorite ways to cheese sound against very experienced players is to break a hatch while i'm standing on a desk and then walk off the desk to make the dropping sound. this often tricks them into thinking i am rotating and will allow me to either stay camped in that spot or surprise them when my sudden rush of footsteps isn't actually going under/around them but to close the gap and create a bottleneck in my favor

my general focus on pvp in this game boils down to this and in a strange way its what makes this game one of the best multiplayer stealth games on the market that doesn't rely on literally going invisible. add some smoke grenades to the mix and you're really in business :ninja:

Thief fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Feb 11, 2018

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Q8ee posted:

nah none taken, reading what you said, I realised I was talking poo poo, there's definitely room for me to improve. I'm just tunnel visioning on most of my deaths which are usually cause of them reacting faster than me, but your advice of roaming more to totally negate that is pretty good.

on the topic of roaming, I find I'm too scared to roam cause I'm so paranoid about making noise. I know footsteps from normal walking are quite loud. how difficult is it for an opponent to hear me if I'm alt-walking / crouching? do they need to be right near me to pick up the sounds? when I look around or reload, are those noises audible quite clearly, or does the opponent have to be very close to me?

Unless you have a shield or 3 armor, alt-walking is so silent the sound might not even be there.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

yeah I loving love the sound design in this game. I binge watch tonnes of MacieJay videos and Serenity videos, so I've picked up their tricks of sprinting / walking fast when lots of loud poo poo is popping off. I keep coming back to rainbow six because the mechanics are just so satisfying, especially when you use them all in sync. that desk hop bait is ingenious, totally nicking that idea.

I've also fallen in love with the breach charge and switch tactic, where you put a breaching charge on a wall, sneak up to door leading into the room, blow the breach charge and then blindside whoever is inside.

I almost exclusively play armour 3 operators during defense, so that totally explains why I've usually found roaming so difficult and getting prefired when I push. I'll start playing lighter, quicker people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1pfnqQ8j1w this vid was really helpful.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Thief posted:

of my favorite ways to cheese sound against very experienced players is to break a hatch while i'm standing on a desk and then walk off the desk to make the dropping sound. this often tricks them into thinking i am rotating and will allow me to either stay camped in that spot or surprise them when my sudden rush of footsteps isn't actually going under/around them but to close the gap and create a bottleneck in my favor

gently caress thats smart.

In interest of sharing i will provide my tip though its only useful on chalet.

If the enemy is in the snowmobile garage and has a bandit you can disable his batteries by rolling a frag through the drone hole. Lets you be an impromptu thatcher.

That tips not as good as the one i quoted but it's fun to know

Qubee
May 31, 2013

most bandits playing snowmobile won't put their stuff down on garage door as they'll wait to bandit trick it. really frustrating. nade + thatcher could give you a big enough window to let thermite put his charge down tho

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Jack Trades posted:

The game is basically the gun version of a knife fight in a telephone booth. A magnified scope to me is klutzy most of the time, although I am sure people adapt to it.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

unlawfulsoup posted:

The game is basically the gun version of a knife fight in a telephone booth. A magnified scope to me is klutzy most of the time, although I am sure people adapt to it.

i sincerely think that ACOGs should be limited to DMRs only because the focus of this game is on indoor shootouts and as it stands it mostly promotes mid-long distance pixel sniping headshots. sure, you can do the same thing with a pistol or whatever. and attackers are more likely to be peeking through windows from afar

but once you get used to them they are generally considered the best option if available. combined with a laser sight you can toggle in/out constantly to check tight corners pretty much just as effectively as without one while on top of that having the absolute advantage down long hallways. it's pretty much bullshit and everytime they have removed an acog from an operator the game has only gotten better from it. but i'm pretty sure it's considered essential to attackers at this point for eSp0rtz or whatever and i don't expect them to ever actually go away, i just think the game would be better without everyone using them on fully automatic assault rifles

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
can someone explain to me why laser sights are good

I mean, aren’t the dots visible? Or is the idea it just doesn’t matter because the hipfire accuracy increase is so significant and if you’re at close enough range to be hipfiring, they know where you are anyway?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
They're not flatly good, it's situational. If you're attacking aggressively then the extra visibility is not gonna matter for poo poo, and having the hipfire accuracy helps you a ton if you need to make snap shots as you rush around the map. If you're stealthily holding an angle then obviously you're gonna care more about that visibility, and you're probably not gonna be ADS'ing so quickly for it to benefit so much anyway.

Also I dunno about taking away ACOGs for most people, the imbalance between attacking/defending guns is a big thing. Giving DMR's even better zoomies could be a cool way to buff them though.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Q8ee posted:

just played 4 games, I was gonna put the advice I was given to use, but I was in Silver so I just sorta ran around curbstomping. once I rank up, I'll give it a go.

and the problem is, I'm a casual player. with uni and life responsibilities, I don't have the time to sink in to this game to get good. I've sorta plateaued, it's pretty much just my reflexes holding me back. map knowledge is at a good level, I utilize sound, I rotate and attack from different angles. I just get sorely outmatched when it comes to putting my reticle on their heads. the few games I can squeeze in, I just want it to feel like poo poo's evenly balanced / matched, instead of it being so drastic of a swing and a coin toss whether I win or lose.

I had the same problem, I'm coming back to FPS's as someone who's not 15 anymore and doesn't have 6 hours a day to get good at clicking on pixel heads. I started using Aim Lab (a $10 early access FPS aim trainer thing) and I found that it really helped my reflexes a lot and significantly improved my ability to shoot dudes

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

quote:

fookin laser sights

they're mostly helpful for that transitional moment between hipfiring and ADS with an acog indoors.

the actual dot itself is not distorted when on a wall at any angle so it doesn't actually give away your position nearly as bad as most people think unless you are particularly careless

they really shouldn't be getting you killed unless you sit in really obvious spots and point them right in front of you. or are flopping around and the sound you make in conjunction with seeing a laser on a wall is what's doing it.

i play DMR a lot especially since Dokk's been added and sometimes the laser is good for baiting impatient kill-hungry defenders into exposing themselves.

there is almost no reason not to put a laser on a offhand weapon that you will switch to and fire immediately in emergency situations. i also put them on all shotguns except the korean railgun because its very easy to hide the dot and you aren't nearly as reliant on ads as the other guns

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
thanks for the tips dudes, much appreciated

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Q8ee posted:

most bandits playing snowmobile won't put their stuff down on garage door as they'll wait to bandit trick it. really frustrating. nade + thatcher could give you a big enough window to let thermite put his charge down tho

You would think this but then they do anyways

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

its always fun to sit back and watch people learn the hard way that rolling nades through a vent while prone isn't as easy at it first looks. it'd be cool if you could right click finger roll nades with tacticool finesse like some other games.

but lol yeah bandit players are generally lazy with their batteries and seem to just wanna play smg hit and run harassment which i can't blame em because its fun. roaming barbed wire trap bandit especially because you can cheese a lot of drone kills and tiny aoe damage hits to soften them up before you kill them by magdumping in their general direction

then you got the ones that more often than not end up dying while trying to do the trick because they deploy beyond the point of no return and get gibbed by the breach. bless their hearts :h::h::h:

actual experienced bandit mains seriously own though and when they team up with mute/ela/valk and even castle it can be a nightmare approaching the obj without blanketing the roaming jumpout flanks with claymores

Thief fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Feb 12, 2018

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Laser sights should have a toggle so you can use them when you want and just always have them equipped

Jedrick
Mar 21, 2010

:420: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high-powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Smoke weed every day.
:420:
A new attachment option that goes in laser slot would be rad. I have no idea what it would be though.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Jedrick posted:

A new attachment option that goes in laser slot would be rad. I have no idea what it would be though.

Only thing I can think of would be a flashlight, which could have a mini-Blitz like effect if you're aiming at an enemy at close range.
But yeah, as Spazmaster said, a toggle for the laser sight would be great - especially if you could have it switched off by default.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

a tacticool flashlight is the most obvious choice and i really hope that the reason there is a even a separate slot for it is just in case they ever want to further develop low light situations into gameplay

also monetizing legendary alpha pack laser colors ftw lol

sometimes you get lucky when breachers are rushing. and sometimes you get even luckier when goons are giving you perfect callouts so you don't even have to think about what to do:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwKbEo0AHrw

Jedrick
Mar 21, 2010

:420: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high-powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Smoke weed every day.
:420:
Yeah, flashlights are neat. I always thought toggleable light switches/being able to shoot out lights would be cool. Imagine boarding up and blacking out a room adjacent to obj during prep phase to gently caress with attackers.

That being said, I'm sure plenty of people would hate this.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

New operator switches the lights on and off rapidly in an adjacent room, causing weird vision artifacts for a short time for anyone inside

Doesn't work on Ash

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Thief posted:

i sincerely think that ACOGs should be limited to DMRs only because the focus of this game is on indoor shootouts and as it stands it mostly promotes mid-long distance pixel sniping headshots. sure, you can do the same thing with a pistol or whatever. and attackers are more likely to be peeking through windows from afar

but once you get used to them they are generally considered the best option if available. combined with a laser sight you can toggle in/out constantly to check tight corners pretty much just as effectively as without one while on top of that having the absolute advantage down long hallways. it's pretty much bullshit and everytime they have removed an acog from an operator the game has only gotten better from it. but i'm pretty sure it's considered essential to attackers at this point for eSp0rtz or whatever and i don't expect them to ever actually go away, i just think the game would be better without everyone using them on fully automatic assault rifles

I can totally see why they are popular in higher level play. Not being in that subset, coming from other more open shooters (BF1, TFall2) it just feels really cramped to me.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

If any of you have played Door Kickers, it'd be a real neat feature for Ubisoft to add a synchronised gadget / breach / whatever mechanic. So teammates put their breaching charges down, and then hover over it and enable it to be synchronised. Then when everyone fires their gadget, the last person to fire sets them all off and you all breach from multiple angles.

"Why add this when you can just talk over Discord?" it's useless for with friends, but in pubby games it'd encourage coordination.

Sidenote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NC2uCLkBFec

I tunnel vision so much, I'm not a very creative person. but this Fuze vid by MacieJay is awesome. so many things that I never even thought of doing. Definitely gonna start playing him more now.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Feb 12, 2018

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I did not know the spread on those was so predictable. I will have to modify my fuze thoughts now. Though I have definitely done the defuze defense before just not with auch accuracy.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I just always assumed they were random. it changes so much. the orientation so it sprays down a hallway is just brilliant.

:confused: four guys in a premade, never played ranked before. initially, when they weren't mic chatting, I was sorta being disappointed over mic. but then we got to chatting and I realised they were fresh and then we became friends and played for fun instead of to win.

the enemy team was chill about it, they kept going all recruits.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Feb 12, 2018

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

How about a new operator that can pick up and switch out any dead operators gun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

The Bananana posted:

How about a new operator that can pick up and switch out any dead operators gun

With a 5-second "checking for booby traps" animation

because realism