Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is Trigger's best previous anime
Kill La Kill
When Supernatural Battles become commenplace
Kiznaiver
Little Witch Academia
Gurren Lagann*
Panty and Stocking*
Space Patrol Luluculo
Goku
View Results

• Locked thread
There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Man, Goro's a swell guy :unsmith:

Something I noticed near the end of the episode was how Ichigo and Goro had no idea how to handle the emotions they were currently feeling, which I thought was a nice touch to add to the whole "these kids aren't taught anything about love or intimacy and are only expected to fight" thing. Really shows how kinda hosed up their upbringing is when they can't even recognize basic things like having feelings for one another

Yeah, they even ritualistically exclude them from interactions with other human beings. If you notice during the ceremony, they are the only people with their faces exposed. Other than the other parasites, Papa and Mama are probably the only people they know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

There Bias Two posted:

Yeah, they even ritualistically exclude them from interactions with other human beings. If you notice during the ceremony, they are the only people with their faces exposed. Other than the other parasites, Papa and Mama are probably the only people they know.

I think this helps explain Zorome's behavior, too. He's the youngest kid (at least emotionally), and he wholly buys into the pageantry and propaganda. He's just a little kid acting out for praise and attention who doesn't fully understand the stakes and consequences of his behavior.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I guess the reason why they kept Hiro around is that they want to see just how effective parasites can be with some sense of actual individuality. If it turns out that it adds nothing then he would be vanished, but if it did lead to increase potential then I can see him turned into a teacher figure who gets shipped around to help foster identity in parasites to be.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Man, Goro's a swell guy :unsmith:

Something I noticed near the end of the episode was how Ichigo and Goro had no idea how to handle the emotions they were currently feeling, which I thought was a nice touch to add to the whole "these kids aren't taught anything about love or intimacy and are only expected to fight" thing. Really shows how kinda hosed up their upbringing is when they can't even recognize basic things like having feelings for one another

This is like a regular trope in anime romance except now there's a legit reason why people aren't handling their emotions with some common sense. Because there's bunch of anime with people acting the exact same without this excuse.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

There Bias Two posted:

I think you mean Nana and Hachi. Papa's a different guy. One of the many with a covered face.

Nana and Hachi seem the most likely of the named cast so far to be purestrain humans, but even that's not a sure thing. Nana also seems to give half a drat about the health and safety of the parasites under her command, which might come into play later.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Won’t be surprised if Nana and Hachi are parasites who grew up. Episode was good, and the side characters in this are actually interesting. Next episode is gonna be real good

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Kashuno posted:

Won’t be surprised if Nana and Hachi are parasites who grew up. Episode was good, and the side characters in this are actually interesting. Next episode is gonna be real good

Their names are literally 7 and 8, so it's quite likely they're parasites. I doubt this 'growing up' business, though. I suspect they're just built that way. Also suspect that this is one of those, 'the humans have been dead for a very long time' plot lines.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Sarcophallus posted:

Their names are literally 7 and 8, so it's quite likely they're parasites. I doubt this 'growing up' business, though. I suspect they're just built that way. Also suspect that this is one of those, 'the humans have been dead for a very long time' plot lines.
It's Trigger so I expect a world-rending twist by episode 12.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I think I need to watch this episode like 3 more times with a pen and paper to parse all of the subtle things that happened in this episode because you guys keep reminding me of stuff that I noticed and forgot or just didn't even consider.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Grouchio posted:

It's Trigger so I expect a world-rending twist by episode 12.

:thunk:

The Fwiggen OP, Eela6 posted:

DARLING in the FRANXX is studio Trigger's first entry into the mecha genre. Since many of the people at Trigger were responsible for beloved mecha classic Gurren Lagann some weird sex metaphor by A-1 pictures, with some animation and design by Trigger.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Sarcophallus posted:

We've already seen that the Parasites when they were younger and smaller, so being custom grown at the target age doesn't fit. At the same time, if they used to be pilots, then I'd think Zorome could just ask them for the story.

Curious where this is going.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The 13th is an experimental unit. It’s plausible that they assigned a veteran FranXX team to supervise them.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
So from what they've shown, everyone but hiro had a severe drop in what was it, yellow cells? But with Hiro's contact with 002, it's spiked into growths. Is that something that keeps a parasite alive/part of their whole infection or I guess part of however long they live until "they spill their last drop of blood for father"? Maybe all of them are a disposable Klaxosaur spiced child soldiers - or "human" seeing other little dumb theories exist out there.

Willias
Sep 3, 2008
Google yellow blood cells. It’s another term for “platelets”. They actually exist, and it means Hiro’s blood is clotting. Someone on reddit did an analysis on the terminals during that part of the episode. His red blood cell count is also abnormaly high. Hiro is suffering from heart failure.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
That makes sense given the big blue tumor's location. It'd be causing some severe heart stress

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Willias posted:

Google yellow blood cells. It’s another term for “platelets”. They actually exist, and it means Hiro’s blood is clotting. Someone on reddit did an analysis on the terminals during that part of the episode. His red blood cell count is also abnormaly high. Hiro is suffering from heart failure.

Except if you look at the medical readout there is another segment labeled PLT that is actually abnormally LOW. This might really just be a straight up Blood Type Blue.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
With the information that each plantation has their own FRANXX garrison, I'm curious what the protagonists' plantation did for self-defense before their training was complete and their unit was established, since it doesn't look like their plantation is recently established or anything.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Kanos posted:

With the information that each plantation has their own FRANXX garrison, I'm curious what the protagonists' plantation did for self-defense before their training was complete and their unit was established, since it doesn't look like their plantation is recently established or anything.

There was a previous parasite squad who full party wiped, they alluded to it in episode 3 I think.

UchihaHirou
Mar 8, 2007

Active Skill:
Solves all problems.
Is there a chance that this anime is playing the stamen and pistil thing straight rather than symbolism? That these kids are literal plant people, like Vash the Stampede? Looking at the other unit's lack of diversity in appearance (similar color hair vs. the variety of hair colors in the protagonists), could the protagonists be a different species of flowers that father is growing to see if they are better at piloting FranXX than the mooks?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

UchihaHirou posted:

Is there a chance that this anime is playing the stamen and pistil thing straight rather than symbolism? That these kids are literal plant people, like Vash the Stampede? Looking at the other unit's lack of diversity in appearance (similar color hair vs. the variety of hair colors in the protagonists), could the protagonists be a different species of flowers that father is growing to see if they are better at piloting FranXX than the mooks?

I thought the aliens in Trigun were called plants because power plants, not because of their chlorophyll content?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Darth Walrus posted:

I thought the aliens in Trigun were called plants because power plants, not because of their chlorophyll content?

It was both, actually.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

UchihaHirou posted:

Possible, but unlikely. The simplest answer still seems to work here: that calling them "penis" and "vagina" may have been a bit crude.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

AnacondaHL posted:

Possible, but unlikely. The simplest answer still seems to work here: that calling them "penis" and "vagina" may have been a bit crude.

Still less crude than butt handles though.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum

Willias posted:

Ehh, Hiro is neither abnormally bloated with fluids, nor constantly short of breath. I'll give the probable angina pains though.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
Guys clearly he's becoming a Guyver or Kamen Rider or something.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

UchihaHirou posted:

I've got it. The plant symbolism means they're all actually intersex.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Diabetes Forecast posted:

Guys clearly he's becoming a Guyver or Kamen Rider or something.

Becoming the blue oni parallel because he's actually someone with the capability to be Zero Two's partner is pretty good story imo

No idea what the consequences long term would be though

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Hiro begins swaggering around in states of undress and licking his peers

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

SpazmasterX posted:

Becoming the blue oni parallel because he's actually someone with the capability to be Zero Two's partner is pretty good story imo

No idea what the consequences long term would be though

Isn't the whole thing with the Blue Oni that he sacrifices his happiness for the Red Oni?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

skasion posted:

Sex Beast Hensin will become more and more frequent. 002 will have to keep him under control, but he'll grab boy butt.

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

We don't exist in real life, but we're working hard in your delusions!

skasion posted:

and everyone was afraid the show wouldn't go gay.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

in chapter 5 of the darling in the franxxx manga you do not see any characters bare breasts. thinking about dropping this

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

in chapter 5 of the darling in the franxxx manga you do not see any characters bare breasts. thinking about dropping this

If you want to see a boob, look in the mirror

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Guy Goodbody posted:

Isn't the whole thing with the Blue Oni that he sacrifices his happiness for the Red Oni?

In a way that's already happening. 02 seems extremely amped to spend time with Hiro, but him becoming attached to her is straining his other relationships enormously and is also causing him unbearable physical agony.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Kanos posted:

In a way that's already happening. 02 seems extremely amped to spend time with Hiro, but him becoming attached to her is straining his other relationships enormously and is also causing him unbearable physical agony.

At this point it's hard to say, but I'd consider that all but guaranteed with how anime loves it's japanese mythology parallels.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
This was a good episode, they really leaned into contrasts and shading and there's a lot to parse from this one compared to previous ones now that we've introduced another plantation.

And I feel relieved that only one group of anime protaganist characters got the fancy mechs and everyone else presumably pilots Zaku's or something. I'm looking forward to the designs of the standard FranXX.

ViggyNash posted:

I think I need to watch this episode like 3 more times with a pen and paper to parse all of the subtle things that happened in this episode because you guys keep reminding me of stuff that I noticed and forgot or just didn't even consider.

Same, this is the rare show I follow that warrants a re-watch.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Kanos posted:

I'm expecting 02 to mellow out a bit in the long run and actually get along with the squad longterm.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Brought To You By posted:

Same, this is the rare show I follow that warrants a re-watch.

It's been interesting to watch this show, because there's all these little touches and directorial flourishes for a story that's this season's go-to example for "What the gently caress, anime?!".

Until this episode, it's kind of felt either too smart to be as dumb as it was, or the reverse. You had characters who felt thinly sketched getting really detailed little animations to show their emotions, tiny thematic hints for a show that spent all of episode 2 yelling "IT'S SEX!" at the top of its lungs, and fancy directing tricks over scenes that advanced fairly basic plot beats.

This episode, though, just felt clever, building off earlier developments and showing new angles on most of the main characters.

Made it a lot easier to understand as a passion project, and much easier to believe it has something worth saying.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Mokinokaro posted:

I'm expecting 02 to mellow out a bit in the long run and actually get along with the squad longterm.

Onized Hiro has the power to lock horns with her and make her care about being nice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 241 days!

Crabtree posted:

Onized Hiro has the power to lock horns with her and make her care about being nice?

He will teach her to give back as well as taking by which I mean pegging him. Only once she FRANXXes him up the butt will she come to understand the power of friendship.

• Locked thread