Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Furry Hunter
May 5, 2005
Professional Fursecutor
The game is currently #2 on global top sellers on Steam, it will be interesting to see how long it stays there after release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Furry Hunter posted:

The game is currently #2 on global top sellers on Steam, it will be interesting to see how long it stays there after release.

Steam reviews will be mixed for about like 2 hours then dip hard into mostl y negative

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
I will add some people's impressions to the OP, whether they are positive or negative. I am personally keeping up my own hope that it's not all bad. :unsmith:

Lol game looks jank as hell - Phi230

This is gonna be just like a Bethseda game, the community is gonna have to mod it into working right. Glad I skipped the KS. -Skoll

looks pretty garbage tbh -frajaq

SlightlyMad fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Feb 12, 2018

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012
So the combat is janky poo poo like in chivalry but without the constant taunting to redeem it

Yikes

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Phi230 posted:

We literally had a guy explain this 3 pages ago but I guess the historical facts don't match up w your feelings

What is it about this game that brings out the chuds

tbh i didn't find what he said too convincing. it was an argument from some vague authority (he didn't claim any particular credentials) without citations. while i'd very much doubt a pure white depiction of major cities to be accurate i don't find it an incredible claim that the rural areas of 1403 bohemia would be overwhelmingly white, and the idea it was a 'melting pot' seems dubious. nor does the assertion people didn't tihnk of race the same way back then really meaningful - okay, that means other racial groups might not have been discussed in modern terms, but it doesn't mean there major non-european groups there.

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Feb 12, 2018

Furry Hunter
May 5, 2005
Professional Fursecutor

SlightlyMad posted:

I will add some people's impressions to the OP, whether they are positive or negative. I am personally keeping up my own hope that it's not all bad. :unsmith:

This is gonna be just like a Bethseda game, the community is gonna have to mod it into working right. Glad I skipped the KS. -Skoll

My fingers are crossed it's a least decent enough until Mount and Blade 2 finally comes out.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

If the combat is actually like Chivalry, it's a day one purchase for me. Chiv combat in an RPG would be like a dream come true. I highly doubt that's the case, though.

e: imagine looking at a historical game set in 15th-century Bohemia and complaining about the lack of racial diversity, how far gone you would have to be for that. It's like a parody. If the lead dev is an rear end in a top hat during interviews or something, that's fair enough, but this particular complaint is nonsense.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Feb 12, 2018

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
if you actually read the thread you'd realize we were talking about actual historical diversity, at the time, in that place.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Rookersh posted:

Hi, as an actual person with historical knowledge, yes there would be brown and black people all up in Bohemia, including bumfuck nowhere parts of Bohemia in the loving 1400's.

200 years after the Crusades, yes there will be brown people all over the place. Bohemia was the loving trading center of most of the HRE, and even in bumfuck nowhere Bohemia you'd have a lot of turnover.

This isn't even getting INTO the poo poo that was the Classical Era, Alexandrian/Roman migrations/colonization, the settling/migration of many African tribes, mercenary movements, Carthaginian turnover into Spain, Berbers and Moors, etc etc.

Like I think America is something like 30% African American/5% Middle Eastern and you see a pretty decently chunk of both groups. Medieval Europe would probably be closer to 5%/5% or maaaaybe 10%/5%, but that's still a pretty hefty chunk. If you went to a major city or even just wandered around long enough you'd see someone of a darker complexion, even if it was just a trader or a mercenary.

The idea that people would die of fright if they saw someone of a dark complexion and that they'd call over the local law enforcement is silly.

Like talking the nationalism/painting Bohemia right angle, this game does Bohemia a massive disservice by painting it as a shithole country, unlike what it was, which was a center of trade and knowledge. This instead informs the opinion of people that the Medieval Ages were exactly what Hollywood tells us, and not what they were actually like.

Also getting into weapon talk/historical accuracy, nothing I've seen so far of the gameplay reads historically accurate. Swords are for thrusting, you would almost never slash with a sword. This was the age of pike and crossbow, turning into the age of gun. You'd really start to see guns showing up among the nobility, and basically everyone would be given a spear/pike or a crossbow. This was the deathknell of "knights" ( even though knights are rarely what we envision them as ), because any rando fucker can pick up a spear/pike or use a crossbow and kill them pretty easily. It's the age when we started seeing real actual militaries again, built up off the backs of the lower classes. The idea of a dude wandering around the countryside with a sword and a shield picking fights with other people is kind of silly. The idea of a large scale battle built around lots of guys using sword and shields still in 1402 is downright wrong.

but hey it doesn't matter, since the game looks terrible

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
'actual person with historical knowledge'...? i'm sceptical without something a little more authoritative; there were huge barriers to population mobility back then, and even today the czech republic is rather homogeneously white. i wouldn't be surprised if the trading hubs were a little more diverse but outside of that i would think visible ethnic minorities would be few and far between.

Furry Hunter
May 5, 2005
Professional Fursecutor
'actual person with historical knowledge'...? Yeah, I'm going to need cited sources.

We will find out in less than a day about the actual gameplay and combat mechanics.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
Without some genomics data from 15th century graves in the region, it's pretty hypothetical really. History is an incomplete record of reality, that's why archeology and DNA samples are so important in trying to understand how things were. Some historian says one thing, another says differently. I can not estimate who is right or wrong in such a debate. If you feel you know better about topic A, B or C, good for you. The more I learn the more I understand how little I know.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

You can find several steams up on Youtube now, and the combat looks utterly dire, sadly. Also, why the hell is map travel so slow? What's the point of that? It's bizarre.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

SlightlyMad posted:

Don't add people's knee-jerk reaction to watching a YT video to the op. I'd rather know what people that have actually played the game think.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I don't think anyone will dispute the fact that there were traders from all over the known world in major European cities. I was under the impression that people were complaining that random-rear end villages didn't have black people in them. That's stupid. I'm very sceptical as to this claim of Europe in 1400 outside of the Iberian peninsula and the Balkans being 5% black (what? did they mean North African?) and 5% Middle Eastern. And the barrier here isn't 'race', which didn't exist yet as such, but religion. Religious conformity was strictly enforced at the time, and people coming in from outside cultures would usually be quickly absorbed by the local population instead of being allowed to form minority communities. If you saw them or their descendants in Europe at any given point in time, they likely would be indistinguishable from the natives other than a slightly darker complexion, if even that.

On the other hand, that period in time did coincide almost exactly with the arrival of the Roma in the area, so if that is reflected in the game somehow it could be interesting.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Would you say this is a bad game for racists?

Glad I didn’t pre-order or anything. An unproven developer with a greedy publisher trying to get $60 seems a bit absurd.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

VulgarandStupid posted:

Glad I didn’t pre-order or anything. An unproven developer with a greedy publisher trying to get $60 seems a bit absurd.

But enough about the new Dragon Age.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

corn in the bible posted:

You can find several steams up on Youtube now, and the combat looks utterly dire, sadly. Also, why the hell is map travel so slow? What's the point of that? It's bizarre.

I think they're going for an old school RPG fast travel where you have a chance of an encounter during travels.

In my opinion the map is dope it has a very nice aesthetic.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
At some point in the video the player serves 5 days in jail, which is 2 exciting minutes of looking at a screen counter that says "You're serving jail time, <x> days".

This is a game made by the same people who make "total realism" mods.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Phlegmish posted:

If the combat is actually like Chivalry, it's a day one purchase for me. Chiv combat in an RPG would be like a dream come true. I highly doubt that's the case, though.

e: imagine looking at a historical game set in 15th-century Bohemia and complaining about the lack of racial diversity, how far gone you would have to be for that. It's like a parody. If the lead dev is an rear end in a top hat during interviews or something, that's fair enough, but this particular complaint is nonsense.

It looks like it's a slightly more complicated version of Mount and Blade's Simon Says swordfights so god knows.

I'm probably going to pick this up one steam, play it for an hour and a half, and then decide if I want to refund it. Thank God they implemented that system.

E. Watching a streamer for a bit, the story and VA seems good but mechanically the game is kind of a mess. Horses handle like tanks, and the UI is very strange. The dude I was watching had to go through trial and error to figure out that the reason why his health was dropping was because he was bleeding to death, since it isn't easily shown on the UI like it should be. Didn't see any combat but the guy said it was kind of flimsy so we will see I guess. Questing is a bit of a mess too, the area that you are given to search in is huge, and at least from the quest I saw the NPCs are no help. They also have that thing where everyone in the same area will have the exact same conversation with you, which is jarring.

Kind of surprised to see this clusterfuck being picked up like it has been, I first learned about it while fixing my Nvidia drivers from an ad they had there, which is usually reserved for AAA games

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Feb 12, 2018

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

corn in the bible posted:

the fistfighting here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eu8O841-Mo&t=2402s

looks so loving lame and bad. love 2 play bad game oblivion

Oh my loving god. The old "Use the wait for ____ amount of hours feature in a shop to steal all the poo poo in the shop after the NPC's are assigned to go to sleep." exploit/bug from Morrowind is in.

They really didn't even care to try, did they?

Edit: It's around 42-43 minutes in for anyone that wants to see him do it.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Feb 12, 2018

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Archonex posted:

Oh my loving god. The old "Wait for ____ hours in a shop to steal all the poo poo in the shop after the NPC's are assigned to go to sleep." exploit/bug from Morrowwind is in.

They really didn't even care to try, did they?

Edit: It's around 42-43 minutes in for anyone that wants to see him do it.

This is good, though. Can we do the Skyrim thing of putting a pot on their head, too?

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
'sup janky european rpgs. i expected this exactly but hoped for more

Orv
May 4, 2011
You're getting Cryengine, first person Risen 2 and you're GOING TO LIKE IT.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

iGestalt posted:

This is good, though. Can we do the Skyrim thing of putting a pot on their head, too?

Doesn't look like you can pick up pots...Hell, I haven't even seen any in the game yet from this video.

Also, either they're trying to simulate ye olde english standards or they put like zero effort into grammar checking their game. I'm going with the latter since some of those words wouldn't make sense even if you were trying to account for some sort of historical language drift occurring over time.

This isn't the only typo(s) i've seen so far. But it is the most egregious.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

VulgarandStupid posted:

Would you say this is a bad game for racists?

People are saying the mechanics look janky, and some of the devs are dicks. Haven't had the time to take a good look at it myself, but it sounds like I'll be waiting for reviews to come out before I pick it up, if at all.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Archonex posted:

Doesn't look like you can pick up pots...Hell, I haven't even seen any in the game yet from this video.

Also, either they're trying to simulate ye olde english standards or they put like zero effort into grammar checking their game. I'm going with the latter since some of those words wouldn't make sense even if you were trying to account for some sort of historical language drift occurring over time.

This isn't the only typo(s) i've seen so far. But it is the most egregious.

Wow that is incredibly lazy work on that book.

Edit: Actually, a though: The character is illiterate to start with. Maybe it's a game-ified system to have him misread poo poo until he gets better?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Having the books in the old language is not immersion. It’s the same with flight sim nerds who want actual language cockpits and russian/chinese/french text on the gauge labels.

It’s not realistic. A pilot sitting in the cockpit of a Mig29 isn’t gonna go ”poo poo I can’t read russian”.

Same way, the player character in Bohemia should understand the people and language around him, ie you should understand.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

iGestalt posted:

Wow that is incredibly lazy work on that book.

Edit: Actually, a though: The character is illiterate to start with. Maybe it's a game-ified system to have him misread poo poo until he gets better?

The guy in question is only 14 minutes into his video though. What's the point of an illiteracy skill if all it does is switch a few letters around? Anyone with half a brain would still know what's going on, so it's not obscuring information or having a point to it beyond grognardy nonsense that serves no purpose.

Also, he can apparently read latin fluently. Which is odd. It's why i'm angling towards "They just didn't give a poo poo.".

Archonex fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Feb 12, 2018

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Archonex posted:

The guy in question is only 14 minutes into his video though. What's the point of an illiteracy skill if all it does is switch a few letters around? Anyone with half a brain would still know what's going on, so it's not obscuring information or having a point to it beyond grognardy nonsense that serves no purpose.

Also, he can apparently read latin fluently. Which is odd.

In that case, I suspect it's just extremely lazy.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

iGestalt posted:

In that case, I suspect it's just extremely lazy.

Yeah. Also, illiteracy doesn't switch letters around at random. That's dyslexia.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i dont care about the loving stupid diversity controversy

the games looks good? hows the combat? history elements?

buy at full price or wait for a discount?

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Archonex posted:

Yeah. Also, illiteracy doesn't switch letters around at random. That's dyslexia.

Yeah, I meant it in a gamified sense. A way to telegraph to the player that the character can't read properly yet. Which is a dumb mechanic but I could see them going for something like that.

Maybe the protagonist is Dyslexic, though?? Maybe that's the mechanic! A world first: A dyslexic protagonist in 15th century Bohemia.

Lil Bit O Vitriol
Jan 10, 2010

DoctorGonzo posted:

i dont care about the loving stupid diversity controversy

the games looks good? hows the combat? history elements?

buy at full price or wait for a discount?

From what I've seen the game looks ambitious and fun but I'd hold off until after release to get a better understanding of the games strengths and weaknesses.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Watching a bunch of streams for this game, and it seems like they went "You know all that poo poo about open-world/RPG's/elder scrolls that really annoys you? Let's make a whole game based around that."

Seems like it's got a good core to it, but everyone playing seems more annoyed than anything at the stuff they have to put up with to get to said good core.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I love how during combat all the bad guys make lovey eyes at you and walk slowly in a straight line while casually holding the sword above their heads. It looks so ridiculous! How can anybody be taking this seriously!

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I watched a bit of a video from a german streamer and the PR person with him actually said that they have a system so you can't read at the start of the game. If all they're doing is switching letters around that's kinda stupid.

lback ibel and phlegm

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Player comes across several people hanging by the neck from a tree.

You Have Discovered: Accident.

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

"What?! I'm not tangled up like this for fun, you know!"
I backed this back in 2014 when it was announced it would be out in 2016 because it looked cool and I figured I just needed something to tide me over until Mount and Blade 2 released ( :negative: ). The "beta access" they put out a couple years ago ran like poo poo and still runs like poo poo on my comparatively better hardware, so I gotta say I'm not exactly holding my breath at this point. We'll see, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
nvm

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Feb 12, 2018