Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.
Jesus Christ TM is going to flip scum isn’t he. :suicide:

This game is reaching farce levels for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

I thought AA had decried it too, based on his comment at how quick I voted with the case. But I guess he didn't explicitly say so and now he's saying he likes it, so?

Something to look at later.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

King Burgundy posted:

I thought AA had decried it too, based on his comment at how quick I voted with the case. But I guess he didn't explicitly say so and now he's saying he likes it, so?

Something to look at later.

AA is bad.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I mean in this case I kinda agree with him, but in general: bad.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
i can maybe be around to hammer (unless i pass out which is possible/likely) but idk how i feel about the tm case

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Oh are we switching?

##vote TM

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

I can switch whenever.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
yeah im cool w/ a tm lunch they didnt even vote once d2 and i feel like tm puts in just a lil bit more effort w/ their town game

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret

Asiina posted:

Oh are we switching?

##vote TM

apparently

i genuinely don't understand this vote, if it's a lurker lynch we have NGO as actual lurker instead of content lurker

whatever

##vote TM

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Asiina posted:

Oh are we switching?

welp I fuckin guess so

now watch Gaspy go all BOOYAH!!!! on the hammer yet again, after sitting around with his one vote on TQ before and not even trying to push that as a real end of day possibility... not that it was an important principled thing this time cause he just forgot he had his vote on me this whole time apparently

and he calls this game a farce, he's responsible for most of it imo with everything he's posted relating to Hal's death! Seriously if he is town I don't see how he doesn't even get why I think he's scummy

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I didn’t say this games a farce I said I am. I keep bungling dumb poo poo and freaking you out and every time I try to reassure you I bungle something else.

Also I’m not keen to hammer TM if people are around and talking after days of silence.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Asphyxious posted:

This game is reaching farce levels for me.

Asphyxious posted:

I didn't say this games a farce I said I am.

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Asphyxious posted:

I keep bungling dumb poo poo and freaking you out and every time I try to reassure you I bungle something else.

lol it even happened in this exact post where you said that

god I can't wait for deaddoc

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

“Reaching farce levels for me” I’m the subject not the game. Jesus Christ Bif.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Asphyxious posted:

Also I’m not keen to hammer TM if people are around and talking after days of silence.

doesn't seem like they really are, though

##vote TM

:redhammer:

scum plz murder me

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

Hey!

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 3

Tired Moritz (9): Truth Quark, King Burgundy, Your Personal Muse, Natural 20, King Burgundy, IllegallySober, Tobbs Gnawed, Anomalous Amalgam, Asiina, Juchero, Bifauxnen
NevergirlsOFFICIAL (1): King Burgundy
Truth Quark (1): Asphyxious
Natural 20 (1): GeneX
Asphyxious (1): Truth Quark, Tobbs Gnawed, Tobbs Gnawed, Truth Quark, Truth Quark, Bifauxnen, Anomalous Amalgam, Tobbs Gnawed, Bifauxnen, Bifauxnen, Truth Quark, Juchero, Tired Moritz, Asiina, Tobbs Gnawed, Anomalous Amalgam, Asiina, Juchero, Bifauxnen
Asiina (1): Mithross, Tired Moritz, Tired Moritz
flerp (1): NevergirlsOFFICIAL
Bifauxnen (0): Asphyxious, Asphyxious
GeneX (0): Natural 20, Bifauxnen, Tobbs Gnawed, Anomalous Amalgam, Truth Quark, King Burgundy, King Burgundy, Bifauxnen, Truth Quark, Tobbs Gnawed, Anomalous Amalgam, Natural 20

Not Voting (1): flerp

With 16 alive, it's 9 votes to execute. The current deadline is February 11th, 2018 at 11:30 p.m. EST -- that's in about 5 minutes.

Todays Materia are Restore, Time, and Mime.

Todays mini game is Bone Village Eaxcavation!

Every player has TWO workers to assign to coordinates on the map.

The Materia have been placed in the grid.

I will accept submissions for BOTH workers at the same time ONLY.

If either of your workers hits a materia then you get the materia! (This could allow for people getting multiple materia)

If no one hits a materia it will go to whoever was closest to it.

So when you are ready to assign your workers send me a PM or private message on discord.

You have until the day ends to give me coordinates!

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Is TM not hammered?

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
##vote tm just in case i guess

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
Tired Moritz - Mukki- town aligned Vanilla was pushed off a cliff on day 3

You are Mukki

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Mukki

You are town aligned vanilla and win when all threats to town have been eliminated.

It is night 3.

Materia will be calculated and pms will be sent.
Tonight's winners are Anonymous.

This week starting from this post on please pm all game related activities to co mod Max who will be assisting me this week with flips and votecounts. I'll be back Saturday night. Since he won't be able to close and open threads you may talk at night for the remainder of the game. Please use nights to poo poo post and shoot the poo poo and talk about non game related things.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
but i would never shitpost

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

CapitalistPig posted:

Please use nights to poo poo post and shoot the poo poo and talk about non game related things.

oh good now Gaspy has no excuse to stop posting FF7 liveblogs

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Bifauxnen posted:

:yeah:

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

Bifauxnen posted:

:getin:

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Bifauxnen posted:

:hellyeah:

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

WHERE WE LAST LEFT OFF

This whole thing happened and it was amazing, frankly.

Shinra has just dropped a city (? roof?) on top of another city and stole Aeris in a helicopter!

Already the stakes feel higher than in any other final fantasy game I’ve played. At this stage in FF8 you’re stressing about exams while your hot teacher tells you she has a crush on you. In FFX you’re helping the local losers do well at sports. In FF12 you’re watchung a parade. Here? The bad guys have crushed all your friends while bragging about how much they love literally killing the planet for dosh. Amazing.

I’ve found out Aeris is something called an Ancient, no idea what the significance of that is but it sounds ponderous as all hell.

We set out to rescue her, and we have to ways of doing that; burst in through the front door, or...

... what a thriiiiill....

... the staircase of endless regret.

After the stairs (which using the iPhone touchpad I literally had to stop halfway through due to cramping) we have forced stealth sections dodging behind guards, hiding behind statues and having to signal your team members to do the same. Luckily if you gently caress it up enough you can just kill everyone and walk through the level normally, as there was no way I was getting through that using the touchscreen.

What follows is multiple floors of gimmicky puzzles which I wanted to go all completionist on, but after two I was like “gently caress this” and just bolted to the top.

The best part of this section is easily the bit where you crawl into the ducts to eavesdrop on the Shinra board meeting; they don’t spell out the path you’re meant to take at all (there’s a couple of hints) and the whole sequence gives you a lot more of the plot.

Up next: Yiff Yaff

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

I totally forgot they had an iPhone port of this.

I may have to start my own play through and try to catch up to you. :)

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

So, Hojo (this is a character I only knew by name, I don’t know what I expected Hojo to be, maybe like sephiroth’s travelling monk companion? Not this creepy gently caress, anyway) he has this idea that he has decades of research he needs to do on The Ancients and Aeris is probably going to die before he’s finished (Jesus) so his great plan is to breed her with Red Xiii.

If there’s any kind of logic to this, I have yet to see it. Red hasn’t been really explored at this stage but he’s just super lovely, which I had no idea. It’s another one of those things where when people talk about Red or when he shows up in other media he’s always cool, kinda snarly and aggro? Was not expecting him to be super polite and very gentle.

I love this as well, Cloud sees... Jenova? Jehovah? anyway, they’re obviously meant to be someone or something very important and Barrets just like “LOOKS DUMB. NEXT!”

Speaking of looking dumb, the monster design in this is hosed. Everything in FF8 is kind of a bit of a tweak of classic monster design, FF7 is like a big rainbow nightmare. It’s got a tremendous sense of fun and creativity behind it, but I can sometimes struggle with what the hell im looking at.

SO, our heroes rescue Aeris and Red BUT it turns out to be a trap and everyone’s thrown in jail. After a quick nap though, the doors are opened and everything’s okay!

Everything’s okay!

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

IllegallySober posted:

I totally forgot they had an iPhone port of this.

I may have to start my own play through and try to catch up to you. :)

Absolutely do this, this is great.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Hi everyone sorry I wasn't around

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

but now that it's shitposting time I'm back

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

... that’s not how anything works. Also if that’s his sword, where’s Sephiroth? Also wasn’t expecting everyone to know who sephiroth was. Like literally everyone. I thought he was meant to be enigmatic.

So our heroes go onto the balcony to meet the new head of Shinra, who seems utterly non-plussed about his dad’s horrific stabbing.

Yeah that’s clearly what Shinra needed, to be more evil.

Rufus has a weird cat, a shotgun and basically no personality at this point. This game’s surprised me a few times now but Rufus feels very cookie cutter. I think it’s one of those things where in the 90s this was kind of new and different but now it’s just very very cliche.

Heh.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Red owns and I always renamed him Fluffy.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Also only Sephiroth can use the sword cause it's a longass sword and they are all short Lego people.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Only Sephiroth can use that sword because Cloud can't equip katanas, and the other characters have pretty obviously different weapon preferences

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Bifauxnen posted:

Only Sephiroth can use that sword because Cloud can't equip katanas, and the other characters have pretty obviously different weapon preferences

I like the rationale behind being unable to use certain things.

Like, does Cloud coat his hands in butter, so the only sword he can keep a grip on is his giant junker sword? Else why can't someone just pick the damned thing up at least?

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Spoilers for a very old game:

something something genetic markers probably, considering this game

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

This episode is called “I feel like I missed something”

WHAT

Cloud has a sick bike! Where did he get it from?? They’re escaping the building and then they’re like “wait, where’s Cloud?” and then he’s just on a motorbike tearing poo poo up.

The sight of this honestly chilled my blood. I’ll put the question out there, was this game murderously fast in the original? using the iPhone I basically couldn’t control myself at all and when the boss fight at the end happened, the rest of my party was already dead. I was surprised how good this looked, but it was also basically impossible.

Again, I feel like I’ve missed something here. Settle what score? So far sephiroth has a) killed the ceo of an evil corporation and b) sworn to not let said corporation plunder an... island? Continent? Plane? something, anyway. This sephiroth guy seems alright Cloud, I think you’re overreacting a bit.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Asphyxious posted:

Again, I feel like I’ve missed something here. Settle what score? So far sephiroth has a) killed the ceo of an evil corporation and b) sworn to not let said corporation plunder an... island? Continent? Plane? something, anyway. This sephiroth guy seems alright Cloud, I think you’re overreacting a bit.

HUUUURRRMMMM

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

HUUUURRRMMMM

Shoutout to KB. Love ya buddy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Just wait, the best (worst) part of the game is coming up.

The part I give up on every single time I try to replay it.

• Locked thread