Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

lalaland posted:

So the combat is janky poo poo like in chivalry but without the constant taunting to redeem it

Yikes

I'll tickle ur catastrophe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
this game looks worse than i thought

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

This seems like one of those sim games whose devs spent so much time trying to implement so many systems that they forgot to check to see if any of them were any fun.

I guess it's going to come down to why you are playing it, and what kind of game it really is. A lot of RPGs have actually kind of lovely combat. Everyone loved Skyrim so much but let's be real melee combat was kind of poo poo. But you did it so you could explore the world.

If it ends up painting a compelling story it could be good. Or if you are there for all the micromanagement in making GBS threads Simulator 2018 then it will probably be good. But if you are there for the combat it's probably going to be crap. I expect the user reviews for this are going to be *scathing*

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

DreamShipWrecked posted:

This seems like one of those sim games whose devs spent so much time trying to implement so many systems that they forgot to check to see if any of them were any fun.

I guess it's going to come down to why you are playing it, and what kind of game it really is. A lot of RPGs have actually kind of lovely combat. Everyone loved Skyrim so much but let's be real melee combat was kind of poo poo. But you did it so you could explore the world.

If it ends up painting a compelling story it could be good. Or if you are there for all the micromanagement in making GBS threads Simulator 2018 then it will probably be good. But if you are there for the combat it's probably going to be crap. I expect the user reviews for this are going to be *scathing*

Yeah this seems like a good predictor.

I sank my money on the kickstarter at the lowest tier years ago so it's a sunk cost now, I'm mostly just hoping it has some entertainment value in there somewhere.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Maybe don’t advertise your game as having sick rear end combat then

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

KyloWinter posted:

Maybe don’t advertise your game as having sick rear end combat then

But "sick rear end" sounds accurate??

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
That’s the thing. That video where an unarmored peasant parried with fists didn’t exactly strike me as ”visceral” or ”painstakingly realistic”.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Fame Douglas posted:

But "sick rear end" sounds accurate??

yeah, you get the shits because you ate something bad and brown your pants when super hobo peasant beats you to death.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Looks like everyone gonna be a stealth archer

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

KyloWinter posted:

Looks like everyone gonna be a stealth archer

:same:

just can't help it, it's always fun in these kind of games

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Because the swordplay sucks

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Skyrim has bad combat but it's very simple. This has bad combat where it seems to take around ten minutes to kill an unarmed man with your sword because he has arms of steel. Fun times

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

KyloWinter posted:

Because the swordplay sucks

it looks like a combination of for honor, darkness 2 and oblivion. i guess i will see tomorrow night.

corn in the bible posted:

Skyrim has bad combat but it's very simple. This has bad combat where it seems to take around ten minutes to kill an unarmed man with your sword because he has arms of steel. Fun times

apperently thats gonna be patched, least i hope. wish i had arms of steel.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

from what I understand this is what that gigantic day-one patch is about

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

frajaq posted:

from what I understand this is what that gigantic day-one patch is about

well thats encouraging. somewhat.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I'm glad someone decided to add stealth archery. Such an easy thing to overlook, really

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Vahakyla posted:

That’s the thing. That video where an unarmored peasant parried with fists didn’t exactly strike me as ”visceral” or ”painstakingly realistic”.

Historically accurate medieval combat would be pretty boring since, as with any weapon today, you don't whip that thing out unless you're planning to hurt someone, and you'd want to stay as far away as possible from your opponent until you're actually planning on stabbing them. Fights would be over pretty quick as most people don't care to keep going after getting their arms lacerated. Also in a pitched battle scenario, your free hand is every bit as important as your weapon, but to this day I've never seen a game that even attempts to let you control your left arm independently of the sword.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

corn in the bible posted:

I'm glad someone decided to add stealth archery. Such an easy thing to overlook, really

Especially considering it was in the trailer

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

exquisite tea posted:

Historically accurate medieval combat would be pretty boring since

So is the combat in this game.

Seriously, wait for reviews to hit before buying. I have a feeling the game's going to be EXTREMELY divisive.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
I will add more clear words of caution to the OP, to encourage people to wait and see how the release version is.

I will be moving house soon and out of internet for an unknown number of days, so can't update the first page during that time.

Yeah, it does look like it will be a divisive game. I had higher hopes for it but we shall see.

If anyone is on the fence about buying, my personal opinion is: stay on the fence for now. There's no rush to buy.

I think the negative impressions should stay in the OP for now. I want different opinions to be heard without wading through the whole thread.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Negative impressions are fine (and likely accurate lmao) but reading someone else's reaction to someone else playing is probably not very useful

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer

The Chad Jihad posted:

Negative impressions are fine (and likely accurate lmao) but reading someone else's reaction to someone else playing is probably not very useful

It's what we have available as of Feb 12th.

I will update the OP with player opinions on the days after release, once I'm in my new home and have internet again. Right now potential buyers need some information to fill in the gaps in knowledge. I am not here to sell the game, but to give my own impressions and a chance for others to speak their minds about the product.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Archonex posted:

Oh my loving god. The old "Use the wait for ____ amount of hours feature in a shop to steal all the poo poo in the shop after the NPC's are assigned to go to sleep." exploit/bug from Morrowind is in.

They really didn't even care to try, did they?

Edit: It's around 42-43 minutes in for anyone that wants to see him do it.

Wait, you mention the sleep in their shop thing, but not the NPCs straight up just greeting him and not caring as he wanders around in a Private Area and knocks out some sleeping lady while they all watch? Also him fumbling around for 5 minutes trying to get back out while they all see him in the private area the stuff is stored at and just keep saying HELLO HENRY like some terrifying cult?

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Rookersh posted:

Wait, you mention the sleep in their shop thing, but not the NPCs straight up just greeting him and not caring as he wanders around in a Private Area and knocks out some sleeping lady while they all watch? Also him fumbling around for 5 minutes trying to get back out while they all see him in the private area the stuff is stored at and just keep saying HELLO HENRY like some terrifying cult?

I didn't want to seem like I was complaining for the sake of complaining by just ranting on and on about stuff I saw in the video. But yeah, all that poo poo happened too and it had me laughing my rear end off and wondering where their QA budget went.

Going off of the previews so far this thing is going to be such a mess. What's worse it's around the top seller spot on Steam at the moment.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Archonex posted:

I didn't want to seem like I was complaining by just ranting about the video. But yeah, all that poo poo happened too and it had me laughing my rear end off and wondering where their QA budget went.

This thing is going to be such a mess. What's worse it's around the top seller spot on Steam at the moment.

At the moment, the way it's sounding so far, it's reminding me a lot of how Ultima Online was when it first came out -- a stinking hot mess of an awful game that was still worth playing anyway -- at least if you could play for cheap -- because it had some new and interesting ideas mixed in there.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

VulgarandStupid posted:

Would you say this is a bad game for racists?

No this is going to be a great game for racists.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Have they said much about modding and how easy it's gonna be?

Looks like it's gonna be a bit of a mess on release but man the visuals really do look good and if it's moddable enough to fix bad mechanics it might turn out awesome.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

fuf posted:

Looks like it's gonna be a bit of a mess on release but man the visuals really do look good and if it's moddable enough to fix bad mechanics it might turn out awesome.

Ive already heard stuff about people working on complete overhauls of the game so I guess it's going to be pretty moddable.

https://www.pcgamer.com/a-game-of-thrones-total-conversion-mod-for-kingdom-come-deliverance-is-in-the-works/

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

fuf posted:

They've said they'll talk about modding plans after release, but that the game should support them eventually.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Archonex posted:

Going off of the previews so far this thing is going to be such a mess. What's worse it's around the top seller spot on Steam at the moment.

It surprises me that this became so popular. Like that other goon said, I saw it mentioned in the blurb for an nVidia driver update. It's weird as this originally struck me as an obscure game for nerds (like me), but it seems to have broad appeal.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Phlegmish posted:

It surprises me that this became so popular. Like that other goon said, I saw it mentioned in the blurb for an nVidia driver update. It's weird as this originally struck me as an obscure game for nerds (like me), but it seems to have broad appeal.

This game checks a lot of boxes (historic medieval setting, open world, survival mechanics, deep RPG system etc.) for what tops the Steam Charts. First person melee games like Chivalry and Mount & Blade are very success on the platform. There's also a strong demand for these types of RPGs in PC centric Europe which disproportionately buys games like Stalker and Fallout New Vegas.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Carmant posted:

No this is going to be a great game for racists.

I don’t know how many layers deep we are right now, but wouldn’t racists want to kill people of other races... so they can’t fulfill that fantasy here?

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

In this game you can become a monk and do monk stuff, that better include drawing pictures of dicks and rabbits riding on snails in the margins of books.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

lol apparently theres no preloading for those who didn't kickstart?
https://twitter.com/WarhorseStudios/status/963018181181718530

gasman
Mar 21, 2013

hey now
New cinematic trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWG3oA8Hjm8

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I get the feeling this game is gonna be awful to play but hilarious to watch Youtube compilations of.

gasman
Mar 21, 2013

hey now
Preload is up on Steam. Possibly for backers only.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer

gasman posted:

Preload is up on Steam. Possibly for backers only.

Thanks for the heads-up. I am downloading, did not back on kickstarter. Pre-ordered in January.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Medieval WRPG with a healthy amount of jank is extremely my poo poo. Mount & Blade kept me occupied for well over 300 hours if you include mods.

Tell me the important stuff; how dirty are the peasants? Do you even notice when you trample them on your warhorse? Any roaming bands of nomadic bandits?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
It looks like you can’t trample over the peasants, instead they will parry your horse with their wrists.