Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Its Différence you uncultured swine.

Oh whoops, I didn't realise the idiot who coined this term decided he'd rather piss all over the French language to an extent it would make Trump blush. Fucker never even wore a bowtie and he just goes around ruining words and languages? *spits*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

You all should chill and watch some anime.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

AlbieQuirky posted:

Yes! And it only means to literally throw out of a physical window. It's not something people use as a metaphor, the way they might say "smash an argument" or "explode a preconception." "Defenestrate an argument" isn't a thing.

Yeah, even this dude, who is not the brightest bulb on the porch, is careful about its use.

Dogwelder is cooler

Who needs dictionaries when we have comics?

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

All of you on the attack are comibg off just as bad as any shitizen defense squad right now. Just saying.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Have yall calmed down yet?

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

grimcreaper posted:

Have yall calmed down yet?

If calming down means watching anime, I'd rather live my life in an unstoppable :pgabz: rage.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

grimcreaper posted:

All of you on the attack are comibg off just as bad as any shitizen defense squad right now. Just saying.

You don't bring a comb to a late 20th Century semiotics fight.

You need a French philosopher for that kind of thing.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Still no game and Crobberts is not in jail so I'm assuming thread is bad again

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
final fantasy derridia opera momentum XVI: hyper diamond shine gloss effect 4

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Taintrunner posted:

Still no game and Crobberts is not in jail so I'm assuming thread is bad again
never open the thread, that way it can be bad and good at the same time

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

TheAgent posted:

never open the thread, that way it can be bad and good at the same time

Sometimes it's so bad it's good.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Breaking:

Wind

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

AlbieQuirky posted:

You sad poser. I took a seminar with Derrida. Seriously. You're just embarrassing yourself.

YEAH WELL UHH...Lets see... Just gotta find the proper one... ummm...

Gravitation... its important!

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

TheAgent posted:

final fantasy derridia opera momentum XVI: hyper diamond shine gloss effect 4

I wonder if this is too many characters to be our new thread title

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Beet Wagon posted:

yep

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Beet Wagon posted:

I think so, which is really a shame.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Beet Wagon posted:

Is it still 70 characters?

Almost!

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I could take out the "Star Citizer" part to make the rest of it fit, but I won't.

Instead I'm gonna look at this dope-rear end calico crab

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Just shorten Final Fantasy to FF, even the creators don't care anymore.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
This is the SC thread gentleplp, let's talk about starcitizen, ok?

quote:

So every year a new iPhone comes out, and the iPhone from just 6 years ago is basically useless in the modern world. That's how tech works... It's always building upon itself.

Even if you look at something like a car, 20 years ago cars are almost prehistoric compared to cars today.

With almost 2 dozen well known arms manufacturers in the world, competition would be incredibly intense!

So why do we only have 1 year's model of guns?

Look at something like a Badger repeater.

Well... if this were a real sim, then we would see new badgers that were at the top of technology, but on the market we'd also see last years model, and the year before that, and so on and so on...

Go on auto-trader or something like that. You'll see mazda miatas (one model) in the range from $5,000 - $35,000... and you'd see the NA, NB, NC, and the new ND models.

If you start out in the game, shouldn't you start out like a high school kid using old used poo poo and then working your way up to new poo poo?

And every year or every quarter, shouldn't companies release new weapons?

For instance, I'd start with an old model of a mustang from 20 years ago, using weapons from 20 years ago. I'd fight and earn money then buy a newer model from 10 years ago. Eventually I'd get good, have more money, and be able to buy a new model.

Moreover, in the far reaches of the galaxies, shouldn't you have less of the newer models, because there's less money around? You'd have different degrees of ship strength (newness) / difficulty based on how close you are to manufacturing centers.

Moreover, implementing a system like this, is not only realistic, it's easy to do! The visual differences between a 2007 and 2018 corolla are pretty minor. It would be very small artistic changes. Besides that, it's just a matter of stat changes.

Moreover, it gives people something to work for. If this year new weapons come out, they'll be super expensive because demand is high and supply is low. I'll have to work my rear end off to afford the newest, baddest weapons, and I'll need these newest, baddest ships and guns in order to fight the richest, baddest pirates (who also have the new gear because they stole it).

Look at the AK-47 for instance. It came out 70 years ago, and is still in use today. Yes, but that doesn't mean an AK used today is the same AK made 70 years ago. New models are improved upon constantly, as machine tooling gets better, parts change relative cost, etc... We've seen dozens of models of the AK-47 over the years, including it's replacement a few decades later of the AK-74. It's the same gun, yes, but a newer model of the same gun.

Same with how the porche 911 has been going strong for 70 years too, but to say that a porche made today is equivalent to a porche made 50 years ago is absurd. It's the same car yes, but a newer model.

There's your gun analogy, and your ship analogy. It's how the real world work.

TL;DR: You start life after high school with a 1992 corolla, then you get your first job and buy a 2007 nissan sentra. Finally, you get a nice promotion and buy a brand new hyundai. But maybe if you picked a really lucrative job you pick up a 3 year old porche. If you're top of your field in a well paying company, you buy a brand new porche.

If you want to race your car though, or use it to its max, you need the newest model to be very competitive.

Shouldn't it be the same with weapons and ships?

It would be simple stat modifications and ever so slight artistic modifications that would take very little time, and give players something cool to work towards.

It's realistic, easy to implement, and fun.

... So why isn't it in the game?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I think CIG actually did want to do something like that for the spaceships at one point, before they realized how much work they'd be adding to their already impossibly long task list.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
So. I got really drunk at a bear festival on Saturday so I decided to make Sunday gravy while hungover.
(I was already planning on making the gravy just not hung over)

I'm not Italian and I learned this from an Italian gal, and basically every family has their own way of making it so feel free to mix it up.

First the meatballs. Make the meatballs however you want, these are half beef half veal because that's what the butcher had Friday night when I bought the stuff.
(I use salt, pepper an egg and fresh parsley in mine. Except I forgot to put the parsley in being hung over). Put them in a hot pot with a little olive oil in the bottom.

When those are nice and brown on two sides. I pull them out and put them in a oven safe bowl covered in foil in the oven. (I baked them for like five minute while I make the rest)

Next up is some nice boneless pork chops and some de-boned chicken thighs. (If you are thinking of using breast meat just skip chicken all together). These also get browned and most of the fat is rendered off into the pot.

Take those out and onto a cutting board. Since these chops are from the butchers they are extra thick so I cut them into three pieces equal sized. If your chops are thin, you can cut in half or leave them as is. The chicken I cut into large manageable pieces. While you are doing that however you put your sausage in the pot.

(These are from a local Italian butcher shop fresh made there. If you are getting yours in the supermarket go ahead and put more in, they tend to be smaller, just make sure they all touch the pan bottom)
When they are browned, take them out. If they have string like mine, go ahead and cut it off and unlink them. Leave them whole though.

Now you put in a chopped large onion. I use a big Spanish onion. This will start to deglaze the bottom of the pan and also the onions will soak up the menage of animal fats from the previous steps.

(I also forgot to mention I add pepper and a little salt here too as well as season the above pork chops)

This step may look the same but we have a half clove of garlic added after the onions are wilting so it doesn't get burnt.

(Not pictured I de-glazed the pan with some Cabernet. ( I often use lager but I was sick of beer from the festival before)

Followed quickly by crushed tomatoes, and either tomato puree or sauce . The puree is extra thick so I add water that not only gets the last bit of tomato goodness from the cans but also adds volume because the puree is so thick. (If you are not using puree add some paste) If not using puree use another can of crushed tomatoes for three total. Four cans of liquid either way.

(I was going to add that red pepper but wife didn't want it in there so I just left it out to go in the mixed green salad. If you do add the pepper make sure you add it near the end like an hour to go, otherwise you end up with pulpless peppers and no one likes pulpless peppers.)

This is what it looks like. I usually add some herbs in now. Always some parsley. (This time the stuff I forgot to add into the meatballs) most times some fresh basil and maybe in a dash of oregano. The meatballs are not in the sauce yet. We add them back in halfway through cooking)

Begun the slow cook it has. Do not cover the pot. We are reducing the liquid slowly while cooking that delicious animal product.

After about 90 minutes or so of slow cooking. (we want a steady slow bubbling, bloop bloop bloop. Too fast and it's too hot. Too slow and it's too cold.) I add the meatballs back in.
After another hour or so it looks well reduced.

At this point it's nice and reduced so I go ahead and cover the pot and let it cook longer on very low while I make whatever else it is we are going to eat that evening.
Wife loves angel hair so I made a pot of that. Add some butter to it to keep it from sticking.

I toasted some fresh bread and a little olive oil on that (rub a fresh clove of garlic on it for some spicy goodness). Some pecorino romano on the sauce to taste on the plate.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Beet Wagon posted:

I think CIG actually did want to do something like that for the spaceships at one point, before they realized how much work they'd be adding to their already impossibly long task list.

But, you see

quote:

Moreover, implementing a system like this, is not only realistic, it's easy to do!

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I love how people type out these long theorycrafting essays for game mechanics that never take balancing or what an actual video game is into consideration.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

crowd funding sucks poo poo moma, just like star citizen and your stupid belt.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

big nipples big life posted:

crowd funding sucks poo poo moma, just like star citizen and your stupid belt.

Harsh but fair.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Lladre posted:

So. I got really drunk at a bear festival on Saturday

Seems like the kind of festival where staying sober might be in your best interest.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
They just gotta fix the pipelines and viôla!

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Scruffpuff posted:

Seems like the kind of festival where staying sober might be in your best interest.

Ahaahah! go drat I am bad at typing.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Lladre posted:

Ahaahah! go drat I am bad at typing.

:lol: It's all good, now everyone at work is wondering why I'm laughing my rear end off at the idea of a "bear festival." Then when the other possible meaning occurred to me, the laughter tripled every second.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Scruffpuff posted:

:lol: It's all good, now everyone at work is wondering why I'm laughing my rear end off at the idea of a "bear festival." Then when the other possible meaning occurred to me, the laughter tripled every second.

Chill bears are the best, would love to go to a bear festival...

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

SomethingJones posted:

Current Frankfurt Vacancies:

Senior Producer
Feb 8, 2018

Producer
Jan 16, 2018

Senior Tools Programmer
January 16, 2018

Senior Game/Animation Programmer
January 16, 2018

Senior Engine Programmer
January 16, 2018

Senior Game/AI Programmer
January 16, 2018

Senior Game Programmer
January 16, 2018

Physics Programmer
January 16, 2018

Lead Gameplay Programmer
January 18, 2018

Gameplay Programmer
January 29, 2018

Senior Systems Designer
January 15, 2018

Level Designer
January 16, 2018

Lighting Artist
January 16, 2018

Senior Environment Artist
January 16, 2018

Real-Time VFX Artist
January 15, 2018

Senior Lighting Artist
January 16, 2018

Senior Animator
January 16, 2018

Animator
January 16, 2018

Senior Facial Animator
January 11, 2018

was it a mass exodus or do they just update the post occasionally so it doesnt seem like these roles have gone unfilled for months upon months?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Nicholas posted:

was it a mass exodus or do they just update the post occasionally so it doesnt seem like these roles have gone unfilled for months upon months?

The latter

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Just rename the project to "Meh".

Problems solved.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?
whew! for a minute i was worried the game might be in trouble.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

IS A CITIZEN NOT ENTITLED TO THE JPEGS HE PURCHASED?

No, says Chris Roberts. That was a pledge, and no refunds. Game delivered.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Want to eat that sauce, Lladre. Looks good. Unlike Star Citizen. And Crobbler's headsuit.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Scruffpuff posted:

The one thing i remember from it is that their is a new brewery in Freeport which is like a five minute drive or ten minute train ride (walking to and from the stations). So I am definitely going to be checking out that place.
They had a solid lager. And a nice crisp pilsner.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Its Différence you uncultured swine.

No, it isn't:

https://web.stanford.edu/class/history34q/readings/Derrida/Differance.html

For the record, Derrida talks about the ability to get to the underlying meaning of language through both difference and deference (when specifically talking about the element of time

In other words, our understanding of a word/words/phrase isn't so binary that it can be ascribed to one or another meaning, but that the meaning is fluid and depends on an abstract, social agreement of said word/words/phrases at a particular moment in time.

Defenestration was the act of physically throwing a person or oneself out of a window. But if the societal majority agree that defenestration in the colloquial now means the expulsion of a one's ideas "out the window" ( so to speak), then that is what becomes accepted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

ManofManyAliases posted:

No, it isn't:

https://web.stanford.edu/class/history34q/readings/Derrida/Differance.html

For the record, Derrida talks about the ability to get to the underlying meaning of language through both difference and deference (when specifically talking about the element of time

In other words, our understanding of a word/words/phrase isn't so binary that it can be ascribed to one or another meaning, but that the meaning is fluid and depends on an abstract, social agreement of said word/words/phrases at a particular moment in time.

Defenestration was the act of physically throwing a person or oneself out of a window. But if the societal majority agree that defenestration in the colloquial now means the expulsion of a one's ideas "out the window" ( so to speak), then that is what becomes accepted.

how many people need to agree "star citizen is bad" for it to become accepted