Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I like video games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I started liking Xenoblade 2 a lot more when I started ignoring half the systems

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I finished up the main story in Celeste over the weekend and am now working on doing the B-Sides. It's about everything you'd want out of a platformer, tough but not overly frustrating discrete sections that steadily build on simple mechanics.

Anyone who was a fan of meat boy should give Celeste a try. It's not exactly the same thing but it's similarly polished and there's a lot of content to sink your teeth into.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Deadly Prem is wearing out its welcome. It's pretty obvious they needed padding midway through so lets have like 5 chapters devoted to small combat areas where you learn five minutes worth of information.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

When people say Deadly Premonition is Twin Peaks: the video game, they really aren't kidding. Now you're in Season 2.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

al-azad posted:

Deadly Prem is wearing out its welcome. It's pretty obvious they needed padding midway through so lets have like 5 chapters devoted to small combat areas where you learn five minutes worth of information.

Get the infinite guitar and ohko most everything to rush to get back to the free roam stuff

al-azad
May 28, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

When people say Deadly Premonition is Twin Peaks: the video game, they really aren't kidding. Now you're in Season 2.

I hope there isn't a Fire Walk With Me or I'm boned.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just realized my wife is starting a new job this week and I'm finishing this client's website at the same time so I'll be home alone with plenty of time to grind through the hostess game in Yakuza 0 and now I can play dressup with all the hostesses without her dastardly interference. I'm an adult

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

ZenVulgarity posted:

I started liking Xenoblade 2 a lot more when I started ignoring half the systems

Yea lol. I think it's cool that you can pretty much just focus on the things you care about and ignore the rest, but I wish they did a better job of communicating that.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

I said come in! posted:

I like video games.

day crew with the harsh drama already goddamn let me finish my coffee

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I sincerely wish the Yakuza 0 real estate/cabaret games were mobile games, because I would just play those forever. I spent like 60 - 70 hours with 0 and that was definitely most of my time, along with doing like half the substories

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

al-azad posted:

Nah, the final act of Deadly Premonition actually makes up for everything.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
more superfluous open world: LA Noire or Deadly Premonition?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

precision posted:

do not call the open world in dp superfluous

anyway i didn't finish dp but only because i got to like the second to last chapter and then the pc port died

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The open world in Deadly Premonition owns because you can figure out a lot of stuff about the killer just by following their NPC's schedule around.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I've never played Deadly Premonition but you can run out of gas and that's hilarious.

L.A. Noire's map isn't a sandbox, it's a museum

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

precision posted:

It's actually Alan Wake, which includes full support for vehicles and large outdoor areas and uses them for getting from point A to point B down a linear road once or twice.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

L.A. Noire would’ve been a lot better without the silly open world portion but it was Rockstar so they had to put that in there because it was expected

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

haveblue posted:

It's actually Alan Wake, which includes full support for vehicles and large outdoor areas and uses them for getting from point A to point B down a linear road once or twice.
IIRC doesn't Alan Wake actually use an open world they had designed for like a single chapter?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
With LA Noir I can just imagine a rep from the game telling a Rockstar exec it wasn't gonna be open World and that exec getting up from his chair and slamming his fist on the desk saying "No open world?!?!? WE ARE OPEN WORLD!!!!"

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Funny story is that LA Noire devs actually bought city assets from Mafia 2 devs as it was another game with heavily underused city that 2K had no problem with selling for parts.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Most superfluous open world is Ride to Hell Retribution, which doesn't even allow you to access it.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Unrelated, they released the trailer for Blanka (aka my favorite SF character) in SFV which was the last chance I was gonna give that game and MAN does he look bad. Like his rolls look like they lack range and are almost comically slow. I guess I didn't actually expect better from this game but MAN

axelblaze fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Feb 12, 2018

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
you: did you know kirby 2 has an outline of a naked lady

captain rainbow:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Raxivace posted:

IIRC doesn't Alan Wake actually use an open world they had designed for like a single chapter?

Maybe, I haven't played it since the launch era. Mostly what I remember is getting into a car in the countryside, driving a short distance down the one road that led to the nav point, and none of the optional detours resulting in anything interesting.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

al-azad posted:

Or you start fights with dogs.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Spring Break My Heart posted:

I used it back in the 360

The bone store is immeasurably worse. I had an easier time as a grade schooler with the original Myst and no strategy guide than I did figuring out how to get it to recognize that I bought a digital copy of a game from gamestop.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

glam rock hamhock posted:

Unrelated, they released the trailer for Blanka (aka my favorite SF character) in SFV which was the last chance I was gonna give that game and MAN does he look bad. Like his rolls look like they lack range and are almost comically slow. I guess I didn't actually expect better from this game but MAN

Blanka sucks anyway so no big loss.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

chumbler posted:

Blanka sucks anyway so no big loss.

Oh gently caress off

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

They gave him a command grab, I think he'll find plenty more haters after he debuts.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Blanka looks like a fuckin' cop now, wowzers

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

They gave him a command grab, I think he'll find plenty more haters after he debuts.

This looks cool so I assume it's fake or something

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
so it seems that tomorrow Jim Sterling is going to have Harsh Words to say about the new Dynasty Warriors game

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

when did they put tomba in street fighter and color him green

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

There was a girl named Blanka in my highschool.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Palpek posted:

There was a girl named Blanka in my highschool.

Was she green?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Zetsubou-san posted:

so it seems that tomorrow Jim Sterling is going to have Harsh Words to say about the new Dynasty Warriors game

I haven't heard anything about it recently, what's up?

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I like that Blanka standing near the realistic sheep and bird

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Cowcaster posted:

i smoked the last of my weed last week now i have no weed

this is why you should only lightly toast your weed, and smoke the fine mist that rises from it. because just when you think you're out, no, you can use all your abv for cooking :420:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Electric Phantasm posted:

I haven't heard anything about it recently, what's up?

they went for an open world thing and it mostly just gets in the way of the game

• Locked thread