Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

On further reflection, Kingsman 2 is actually really like Kick-rear end 2, in that both scripts needed another couple of passes to tighten them up. Kingsman 2 still has pretty cool action scenes but the plot is pretty bloated. Harry could have had his memories restored a lot sooner, for instance, there could have been a smoother way to track Charlie than the creepy Glasto scene (that Taron Egerton was reportedly deeply uncomfortable with) and I was particularly disappointed by how much of a nothing character Channing Tatum turned out to be.

All that being said, one bit I kind of appreciated is that the villain's plan was going to "fail" regardless of what Eggsy and Harry did because the president was an even bigger piece of poo poo than she was

You know what else it reminds me of? Machete Kills, which I have mentioned my problems with in this thread already.

It's a shitload more coherent than Machete Kills, but that is an exceptionally low bar to clear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Snowman_McK posted:

It's a shitload more coherent than Machete Kills, but that is an exceptionally low bar to clear.

On further further reflection, that wasn't an apt comparison and I should've just stuck with Kick-rear end 2.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The biggest problem with Kingsman 2 is that it was definitely a movie that didn't need to happen. I liked the first one but I doubt anyone was really champing at the bit for more adventures of Eggsy, Merlin and Roxie (who gets unceremoniously killed off anyway.)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What I think most people really would've liked to see was more of Colin Firth playing this ultra-violent take on Roger Moore as James Bond. :v:

I feel like Kingsman could've been a fun series of standalone spy movies (like the original James Bond series, really), but it's fallen victim to this trend you see where everything has to have some kind of big overarching storyline with loads of worldbuilding. To a smaller extent, that's something I think you see in the second John Wick movie as well.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Feb 12, 2018

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I liked the first Kingsman movie and definitely think that the second one did not hold up well. Roxy and Merlin were my favorite characters and I didn't like what the film did to them. I liked the Statesman characters and how it tied in to the franchise's mythos, but really my main problem was that Roxie would have made a better partner to Eggsy than the Swedish princess because I felt that they actually had chemistry and stuff. Harry was neat but I didn't really care for how they brought him back--it felt like cheap pandering.

Julianne Moore though. Great performance.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

What they did to Merlin was really stupid and pointless. The scene itself is fine but I was sitting there confused as to why this was happening. Considering his character wanted to be in the field (I think?). Was it supposed to be a joke?

I still like some of it so I don’t hate it or anything.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
Neither film had any idea what to do with Roxie. Once the big training setpieces are concluded in Kingsman 1 they have her gently caress off to hang out with that macguffin satellite or whatever, completely removed from where the actual plot is happening. And of course in Kingsman 2 he's her pathetic "best friend" who's in the movie to help make him look good in front of his girlfriend for five minutes before she buys it in the same sort of extravagant super-strike that characterized the end of the training stuff in 1, so they probably should have just cut the middle man and killed her there. (She is also laughably less clearly dead than Harry was when he bought it in 1; I'd say they could perfectly reasonably bring her back for 3 and play it off like Eggsy just didn't bother checking if she was alright, because that's how disposable she is to him)

The big problem is with Kingsman 2 is that it's fairly faithful to Mark Millar's source material, and while Mark Millar may or may not be an interesting writer on any number of topics, he is never more uncompellingly weird than he is when trying to offer any critique, no matter how facile, of America

Crion fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Feb 12, 2018

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
It's also never good news when your pre-credit roll intro scene is the best and most engaging action setpiece in the film, which is definitely more of a Matt Vaughn problem

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Welp, Streets of Fire was amazing. Next on the list is 2019: After the Fall of New York, which probably has no musical numbers.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Halloween Jack posted:

Welp, Streets of Fire was amazing. Next on the list is 2019: After the Fall of New York, which probably has no musical numbers.

Fortunately it has George Eastman as an apeman named Big Ape so it's even better. It's my favorite of the Italian post apocalyptic flicks.

Also keep an eye out for the backstory as discussed after some characters are captured. Despite this movie being...what it is...there is no way in hell the film adaptation of Childen of Men wasn't slightly inspired by it.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Feb 12, 2018

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Accident Man review:

If all VoD releases were this good I would be a happy man. This is a breezy, somewhat tongue-and-cheek action movie about a hitman who works for a firm setting up people's murders as "accidents". After his ex-girlfriend dies he decides to investigate her death and gets into some poo poo. There's a passing similarity to John Wick in that there's a hitman pub where all the hitmen gather but it's based on a comic from 1991 (and I'm sure that similarity helped it get funded).

When I say the movie is "somewhat tongue-in-cheek" I mean the characterizations and world. The action is dead loving serious, shot and performed well, and casts such DTV luminaries as Michael Jai White, Ray Park (Darth Maul himself! And he's still got it) and up-and-coming Woman of Action Amy Johnston, who really kicks rear end btw. The movie ambles along and gives a nice framework to hang a bunch of fist fights on. One thing I appreciated is this movie's very pre-Die Hard sensibility toward the male lead - it's the return of the badass "I can confidently kick everyone's rear end except for (maybe) the last guy in the movie while cracking one-liners" style of action hero, a sort of pumped-up Seagalesque superhuman who confidently navigates the plot.

This is definitely worth a four dollar rental on your favorite VoD service, maybe even a buy if the material resonates with you (it did for me). My three complaints are that a flashback sequence goes on for a little too long, the movie's editing is very workmanlike and could have benefited from a bit more flair and energy, and finally that Michael Jai White's face looks puffy and a bit unnatural...hope it's from plastic surgery and not from sickness or drugs.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Accident Man review:

If all VoD releases were this good I would be a happy man. This is a breezy, somewhat tongue-and-cheek action movie about a hitman who works for a firm setting up people's murders as "accidents". After his ex-girlfriend dies he decides to investigate her death and gets into some poo poo. There's a passing similarity to John Wick in that there's a hitman pub where all the hitmen gather but it's based on a comic from 1991 (and I'm sure that similarity helped it get funded).

When I say the movie is "somewhat tongue-in-cheek" I mean the characterizations and world. The action is dead loving serious, shot and performed well, and casts such DTV luminaries as Michael Jai White, Ray Park (Darth Maul himself! And he's still got it) and up-and-coming Woman of Action Amy Johnston, who really kicks rear end btw. The movie ambles along and gives a nice framework to hang a bunch of fist fights on. One thing I appreciated is this movie's very pre-Die Hard sensibility toward the male lead - it's the return of the badass "I can confidently kick everyone's rear end except for (maybe) the last guy in the movie while cracking one-liners" style of action hero, a sort of pumped-up Seagalesque superhuman who confidently navigates the plot.

This is definitely worth a four dollar rental on your favorite VoD service, maybe even a buy if the material resonates with you (it did for me). My three complaints are that a flashback sequence goes on for a little too long, the movie's editing is very workmanlike and could have benefited from a bit more flair and energy, and finally that Michael Jai White's face looks puffy and a bit unnatural...hope it's from plastic surgery and not from sickness or drugs.

Both he and Ray Park looked like they'd put on a little weight since I last saw them in something, which given that they're 50 and 43 respectively (Jesus Christ) didn't seem too odd, especially since the last time I saw Ray Park in something might literally be rewatching the Phantom Menace a couple years ago.

My only complaints were that the Jane the Ripper character was too Clearly This Movie Was Written By Dudes and could have been better integrated into the plot, but like, that's basically the best you're going to get out of that kind of character for the price point and intended audience of the film and Johnston was great so whatever. Could have used more Ray Stevenson. Also there's no way the actor they chose for the protagonist in the flashback grows up to be Scott Atkins but finding convincing-looking flashback actors has probably the worst effort-to-importance ratio of anything you can do on a film.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Accident Man review:

I've been interested in this for a while, because I remember the comic (from the short-lived British anthology Toxic!) as good, warped fun. I'll definitely have to check it out when I get the chance.

Bit of info: Accident Man the comic was written by Pat Mills, who was the creator of 2000AD and (as editor, so he went uncredited because he's heavily into creators' rights) was hugely involved in the genesis of Judge Dredd. For some reason - probably because of Mills's massive anti-authoritarian, anti-capitalist, anti-religion, pro-class warfare streak that runs about a tenth of a millimetre beneath the surface of all his work - nobody's filmed any of his literally dozens of other series. But because of Accident Man, a couple of days ago somebody on Twitter suggested that Duncan Jones (Warcraft) would be perfect for a movie of Mills' ultraviolent Celtic barbarian character Slaine. Jones himself read this, contacted Mills saying "holy poo poo, are the rights to Slaine available?", and when Mills said yes Jones got right back to him with an 'I'll be in touch' message. So that could be interesting.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Crion posted:

Both he and Ray Park looked like they'd put on a little weight since I last saw them in something, which given that they're 50 and 43 respectively (Jesus Christ) didn't seem too odd, especially since the last time I saw Ray Park in something might literally be rewatching the Phantom Menace a couple years ago.

I love that that their hand-to-hand fight with Adkins is in bulky Gis so nobody had to get into "show your abs" shape, except Adkins (and even then he wears a leather jacket for almost the whole movie so as not to upstage his co-stars.)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Did anyone ever play Time Crisis on the PS1? I'm amazed nobody's ever tried to make a movie of that. I was just thinking of it because Scott Adkins is being chatted about and he'd be a great Richard Miller.

Nicolas Cage could still play Wild Dog.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Payndz posted:

I've been interested in this for a while, because I remember the comic (from the short-lived British anthology Toxic!) as good, warped fun. I'll definitely have to check it out when I get the chance.

Bit of info: Accident Man the comic was written by Pat Mills, who was the creator of 2000AD and (as editor, so he went uncredited because he's heavily into creators' rights) was hugely involved in the genesis of Judge Dredd. For some reason - probably because of Mills's massive anti-authoritarian, anti-capitalist, anti-religion, pro-class warfare streak that runs about a tenth of a millimetre beneath the surface of all his work - nobody's filmed any of his literally dozens of other series. But because of Accident Man, a couple of days ago somebody on Twitter suggested that Duncan Jones (Warcraft) would be perfect for a movie of Mills' ultraviolent Celtic barbarian character Slaine. Jones himself read this, contacted Mills saying "holy poo poo, are the rights to Slaine available?", and when Mills said yes Jones got right back to him with an 'I'll be in touch' message. So that could be interesting.

Oh gently caress :chanpop:

That's going to be loving awesome if it ever gets made

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Oh gently caress :chanpop:

That's going to be loving awesome if it ever gets made

Warcraft suggests...not?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

sean10mm posted:

Warcraft suggests...not?

Duncan Jones has a movie coming out this month. Don't think warcraft hurt his stock too much. It's called Mute.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Yeah, Warcraft legit doesn’t even scan as a Duncan Jones movie for me. But then again, Moon bought him a hell of a lot of goodwill in my opinion. Hyped about Mute.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Fart City posted:

Yeah, Warcraft legit doesn’t even scan as a Duncan Jones movie for me. But then again, Moon bought him a hell of a lot of goodwill in my opinion. Hyped about Mute.

Warcraft definitely comes off as Duncan Jones proving he can be a company man if it helps get his other stuff made.

Never watched the movie myself, but it sure looked bad.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

It's almost like it's deliberately bad. Like it goes out of it's way to miscast roles, undermine its plot, tank its theme, introduce interesting characters and then cut away from them for most of the movie, have terrible production design, etc.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

FancyMike posted:

Yeah we need more grown up, adult prison movies. Like Riki-Oh

I rewatched Riki-Oh over the weekend, and man that movie loving rips, it’s a live action version of The Doom Comic.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I rewatched Riki-Oh over the weekend, and man that movie loving rips, it’s a live action version of The Doom Comic.

Dubbed or subbed?

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Wheat Loaf posted:

Dubbed or subbed?

Unfortunately dubbed, at a theater, so for the first third, the audience was laughing at every single line because the dub was awful. It was still awesome, but I would have preferred a subbed version.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I rewatched Riki-Oh over the weekend, and man that movie loving rips and tears, it’s a live action version of The Doom Comic.

:eng101:

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Subbed Riki-Oh is definitely the way to go, but in a clutch you can always synch up an acceptable audio track by blasting Mastodon at top volume on repeat.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Gonna check out Accident Man. I liked Savage Dog minus the narration and Scott Adkins is hnnng.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Having watched In the Line of Fire recently (still pretty good) and having watched Air Force One again a while ago, should I watch Outbreak to complete the Wolfgang Petersen mid-90s trilogy? I don't tend to like disaster movies. :shrug:

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Your cage isn't getting any bigger.

Fart City posted:

Subbed Riki-Oh is definitely the way to go, but in a clutch you can always synch up an acceptable audio track by blasting Mastodon at top volume on repeat.

No love for, "you got a lot of guts Oscar"?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

Having watched In the Line of Fire recently (still pretty good) and having watched Air Force One again a while ago, should I watch Outbreak to complete the Wolfgang Petersen mid-90s trilogy? I don't tend to like disaster movies. :shrug:

I loved Outbreak when it came out, but be prepared for dual creepers Dustin Hoffman AND Kevin Spacey.

It would make a great double feature with the much more recent Contagion, by Soderbergh.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I loved Outbreak when it came out, but be prepared for dual creepers Dustin Hoffman AND Kevin Spacey.

It would make a great double feature with the much more recent Contagion, by Soderbergh.

I know Contagion but it's a weird movie for me because I can recognise intellectually that it's a good movie, but I didn't really enjoy it because the plot is one I just don't tend to like.

Seriously, that's like episode five of every science-fiction show: some kind of weird virus infects everyone in the base or on the starship except one guy who's immune and has to discover a cure.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Wikipedia says $85 million, which I think would have qualified as a a "big budget" action movie in 1997 (recall that the most expensive production budget to that point had been the $100 million that James Cameron spent on True Lies).

Harrison Ford, Gary Oldman, and Glenn Close probably aren't cheap, and there are a bunch of gigantic CG sequences (the aborted landing, the KC-10 explosion, the dogfight, and then the rescue/crash sequence).

The sequence where the President tells the VP to order to F-15s to fire on Air Force One is incredibly underrated, IMO. It's this insane, high-scale ruse (that gets set up super early on, when the press secretary is telling the terrorists about the plane's security measures) and literally the only thing it's meant to accomplish is knock two people off their feet so one of them might be able to get the jump on the other. There's absolutely no guarantee of success-- even after the missile goes off the entire situation room has to listen in silence and hope that their guy can kill the other with his bare hands. And then it caps off with probably the most realistic, intense neck break in cinema.

Here's the last half of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6YKoCsJcN0

It's missing the best part, where Harrison Ford is at gunpoint with a live cellphone in his pocket and he's saying to the terrorist "Wow, it SURE WOULD SUCK if someone shot a missile at us, right, Dimitri?"

I loving love Air Force One, you guys.

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Feb 18, 2018

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

ninjahedgehog posted:

Harrison Ford, Gary Oldman, and Glenn Close probably aren't cheap, and there are a bunch of gigantic CG sequences (the aborted landing, the KC-10 explosion, the dogfight, and then the rescue/crash sequence).

The sequence where the President tells the VP to order to F-15s to fire on Air Force One is incredibly underrated, IMO. It's this insane, high-scale ruse (that gets set up super early on, when the press secretary is telling the terrorists about the plane's security measures) and literally the only thing it's meant to accomplish is knock two people off their feet so one of them might be able to get the jump on the other. There's absolutely no guarantee of success-- even after the missile goes off the entire situation room has to listen in silence and hope that their guy can kill the other with his bare hands. And then it caps off with probably the most realistic, intense neck break in cinema.

Here's the last half of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6YKoCsJcN0

It's missing the best part, where Harrison Ford is at gunpoint with a live cellphone in his pocket and he's saying to the terrorist "Wow, it SURE WOULD SUCK if someone shot a missile at us, right, Dimitri?"

I loving love Air Force One, you guys.

It's the second best Die Hard movie that isn't a Die Hard movie.

And, of course, the politics of the US attacking Kazakhstan with the help of the Russians has aged flawlessly.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Snowman_McK posted:

It's the second best Die Hard movie that isn't a Die Hard movie.

And, of course, the politics of the US attacking Kazakhstan with the help of the Russians has aged flawlessly.

I would argue it's a better Die Hard movie than several Die Hard movies. :colbert:

And yeah, it's the most post-Cold War, pre-9/11 movie ever made.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Yeah, it rules. It was also one of the first R-rated films I actually had permission to watch. Plus, the whole sequence where the terrorists take over the plane is intense as hell.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Executive Decision is a better Die Hard on a Plane than Air Force One

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Your list is woefully inadequate without Passenger 57

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Davros1 posted:

Executive Decision is a better Die Hard on a Plane than Air Force One

Thinking of Air Force One as Die Hard makes me think of Die Hard but instead of McClane it's Holly's boss who is the secret badass that stops the terrorist.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I simply do not like movies where everything happens on a plane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I feel like whichever movie from that period that has Wesley Snipes is the superior movie.