Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Soothing Vapors posted:

MMA confessions: I have trouble remembering which one is Chris Weidman and which one is Luke Rockhold unless I'm looking directly at a picture of one of them

Are you sure you didn't get that backwards?

From a distance they are both square-jawed white dudes in the looks department, but if I gave you their names, it shouldn't take you 2 seconds to tell me which one is the New York guy who knocked off the spider at the height of his powers and which one got KO'd hilariously by old man Bisping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Lindland
Feb 10, 2018

SHUT THE FUCK UP KEVEN

ALSO GJ BUYING A NEW ACCOUNT LIKE A GODDAMN COWARD
YOU USELESS WHITE NOISE POSTER

YOU WILL NOT ESCAPE THE BOLF RAMSHIELD YOU SO RICHLY DESERVE

now with professional animation
Yeah how could you confuse the two bland idiots with bland idiot names who are supposed to be good but keep getting KOed terribly. One of them had a good win 5 years ago.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
ones taller

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Holy gently caress, weidman/silva 1 WAS 5 goddamn years ago.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Eat This Glob posted:

help im dying

mewse
May 2, 2006

Jack Slack analysis of Rockhold/Romero and the rest of the card too

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Matt Lindland posted:

Yeah how could you confuse the two bland idiots with bland idiot names who are supposed to be good but keep getting KOed terribly. One of them had a good win 5 years ago.

One of them is in the 3rd or 4th-most played UFC clip ever. That might help.

El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

I'm not necessarily proud of this but I'm gonna leave it here anyways.
One beat Vitor. One did not.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Eat This Glob posted:

My MMA opinions and predictions are wildly inaccurate these days because I followed the sport obsessively 5 years ago and have been mostly casual since then. I'll be like, "Oh man, Jake Ellenberger is fighting, that should be good" and then check in on his record over the last few years and go....oh.

I'm starting to understand why I saw so many people relentlessly defending lovely Pride fighters in the late 00's/early 10's. Once you've registered a guy as 'good' it takes a long time for your brain to remove them from that category, regardless of how they've been doing lately cause you just have the highlight real memories and forget about the plodding slow losses.

El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

Edit: Double post. My bad. Computer went wonky.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

He seems to completely discount Yoel's cross arm / turtle guard. If Rockhold was kicking to the body a lot more, it wouldn't be useful, but for the shorter guy to deflect incoming straight punches, it's not a bad technique, especially as Yoel seemed to have Rockhold's respect for takedown threat off body kicks.

I like the shoutout for Adenaya's waist flick jab. Not for everyone but if you have good reflexes and a reach advantage, can definitely be a good tool.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I thought rockhold did a much better job of boxing and moving his head off the center line, but only when he was using his new tools. The counter right and the body kick both looked like old rockhold where he does the right thing at the right time but in a very exaggerated way

mewse
May 2, 2006

Gay Horney posted:

I thought rockhold did a much better job of boxing and moving his head off the center line, but only when he was using his new tools. The counter right and the body kick both looked like old rockhold where he does the right thing at the right time but in a very exaggerated way

Slack's point that Rockhold doesn't know how to move laterally was pretty much spot on

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
He kinda does though. There were a couple combos yoel threw that had rockhold ducking weaving and pivoting. I did only watch the fight one time maybe they were really telegraphed

mewse
May 2, 2006

Gay Horney posted:

He kinda does though. There were a couple combos yoel threw that had rockhold ducking weaving and pivoting. I did only watch the fight one time maybe they were really telegraphed

Rockhold seemed to be reacting to Romero's flurries by throwing his guard up and frantically backing away, and then when Yoel got him against the cage he didn't know what to do. The gif Slack used to illustrate this was when Yoel got like 6 brutal unanswered punches to Rockhold's ribs in the clinch

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Rockhold's punch combos are too slow. He has the speed, but still fires out strikes at half the tempo he needs to. He needs to get to another comfort level to really open up, to be able to cover more ground while punching in, to quit a combo early, and to draw enough defensive commitment to land kicks on open targets. His jab has so much promise, but we'll see what happens between fights.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

kimbo305 posted:

Rockhold's punch combos are too slow. He has the speed, but still fires out strikes at half the tempo he needs to. He needs to get to another comfort level to really open up, to be able to cover more ground while punching in, to quit a combo early, and to draw enough defensive commitment to land kicks on open targets. His jab has so much promise, but we'll see what happens between fights.

Agreed, I thought this Bisping knock out was because he was taking the piss and being too relaxed not taking Bisping seriously, but he threw the same relaxed punches in this fight as well so I guess that's just how he punches.

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

https://twitter.com/zabit_mma/status/963139533934968832

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

MysteryNad posted:

i for one am glad that mousasi is over in bellator where he can win questionable decisions over guys that were easily beaten by tito ortiz

it's much more fitting for him

Remember when he outlanded Keith Jardine 7 to 1 and still got taken down like 6 times and got a draw?

He seems determined to ensure that I can never get a bead on how good he actually is.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Its cool that rockhold still backs straight up under flurries, and it made me of the time someone on here got personally mad at me when i said hed lose to vitor again

El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

Ugh. Weak if true. Zabit is loving awesome and it's sad if he can't get a fight. Same thing seems to be happening with Taisumov.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Wasn't Rockhold going to make some career announcement thing a couple months back, or did he get distracted convincing a girl to cheat on their spouse with him and forget

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

maffew buildings posted:

Wasn't Rockhold going to make some career announcement thing a couple months back, or did he get distracted convincing a girl to cheat on their spouse with him and forget

Yeah, before Romero killed him he said he's moving to LHW, since DC is now at HW and retiring soon, and because the cut to MW is getting harder.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Was it the talk of moving to 205? He said as much today, can't remember when he started with that talk though.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
There should be a 130 140 150 155 lb division 165 175 185 division a 200 lb division a 235 lb division and a division bigger than that. If I'm missing some fly weight division suck my dick. Would fix so many problems in life

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
if one of your problems is that you think there's so much talent at heavyweight that there needs to be a way of having 50% of them disappear then yeah

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
Everyone who can't make 185 is a heavyweight.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

CRISPYBABY posted:

I'm starting to understand why I saw so many people relentlessly defending lovely Pride fighters in the late 00's/early 10's. Once you've registered a guy as 'good' it takes a long time for your brain to remove them from that category, regardless of how they've been doing lately cause you just have the highlight real memories and forget about the plodding slow losses.

The solution to this is to not watch fights. The last fight I watched was in 2010 and as a result the Pride guys I've registered as "good" can never be removed. Pride NEVER die.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Marching Powder posted:

Everyone who can't make 185 is a heavyweight.

Johny Hendricks vs Mark Hunt.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Wise Learned Man posted:

Yeah, before Romero killed him he said he's moving to LHW, since DC is now at HW and retiring soon, and because the cut to MW is getting harder.

After getting brutally knocked out by Michael Bisping, the only solution is to go to the division where they hit harder.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Dan Didio posted:

Johny Hendricks vs Mark Hunt.

Precisely.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Charles Gnarwin posted:

After getting brutally knocked out by Michael Bisping, the only solution is to go to the division where they hit harder.

This seems like common sense and oftentimes is true, but sometimes the issue of someone's chin is they cut too much weight that they're more likely to be knocked out due to having less fluid around their brain to cushion it from concussive force and moving up in weighr actually helps, despite there being theoretically harder hitters.

Rob Whittaker got knocked out by Stephen Thompson and rocked a few other times as a UFC welterweight and is now the undefeated champeen at middleweight.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
That's all true, but it's worth nothing that Rockhold's problem with his chin isn't down to weight-cutting anywhere near as much as it is down to his absolutely porous and pedestrian boxing defense.

As much as people like to harp on about Bisping not having any power, the man knows how to throw a punch and Parillo has helped him greatly in putting his weight behind his most meaningful punches and power is one of the less meaningful things when it comes to knocking out someone with bad defence and a tendency to overextend themselves.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Having a,great chin miiiight help you not get knocked down by a counter straight inside your hook that you dont see coming. Probably not, but maybe. Having a great chin wont help you against that ridiculous uppercut though

El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

Yeah Rockhold's check right hook has proven to be one of his better weapons but this time it was his undoing.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Dan Didio posted:

That's all true, but it's worth nothing that Rockhold's problem with his chin isn't down to weight-cutting anywhere near as much as it is down to his absolutely porous and pedestrian boxing defense.

As much as people like to harp on about Bisping not having any power, the man knows how to throw a punch and Parillo has helped him greatly in putting his weight behind his most meaningful punches and power is one of the less meaningful things when it comes to knocking out someone with bad defence and a tendency to overextend themselves.

That may be the case as well, but I would argue then it would only behoove him to move to a division where thee average fighter is substantially slower and shittier than the people he is being matched up with at middleweight

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

In addition to being a loving fun fighter who doesn't avoid tough fights even if she doesn't win all of them, Leslie Smith continues to be awesome by taking it on herself to start a UFC fighters' union without the meddling of sketchy agents or anyone named Bjorn:

https://www.mmafighting.com/2018/2/..._source=twitter

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

CommonShore posted:

In addition to being a loving fun fighter who doesn't avoid tough fights even if she doesn't win all of them, Leslie Smith continues to be awesome by taking it on herself to start a UFC fighters' union without the meddling of sketchy agents or anyone named Bjorn:

How long before Dana cuts her?

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Trast posted:

How long before Dana cuts her?

According to the article, she's got a contracted fight coming up, and it's the last fight on her contract. My thinking is they let her finish her contract and not resign her. If she wins this fight against Aspen Ladd (not a Keven-style made-up name, btw) Smith will be on a 3 fight winning streak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyber Dog
Feb 22, 2008

CommonShore posted:

this sort of thing is desperately needed

• Locked thread