Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
immortal anime
Oct 21, 2017

by Lowtax
BLUF: If a driver is driving the car forwards at 80 MPH and you walk from the front seat to the back seat, if the car disappeared which direction would you go when you hit the ground?

Imagine a driver is driving a car "forwards" at 80 MPH. Your child is crying so you unbuckle your seatbelt to check on them so you walk "backwards" towards the rear of the car. This is the opposite direction that the car is traveling. Say you are walking about 5-10 MPH in the car. If the car suddenly disappeared, which direction would your body roll when you hit the pavement, if the pavement was completely flat and had no influence on which way you roll? If it doesn't make sense to you that the car disappeared, imagine you are walking off the top of a car. Attached is a visualization to help you understand the problem.

Personally, I say you continue to go backwards. Yes, the car is going forwards, but your body is not-when you hit the pavement you will go 10 MPH opposite of the car, because once you step off the car you aren't traveling 80 MPH now. My wife says you go forwards, because you subtract 10 from 80 (10 being how fast you're walking) which would action mean you roll backwards (towards the car) when you hit the pavement. Thoughts? I don't know if there is a solution, but it's an interesting thought experiment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PTSDeedly Do
Nov 24, 2014

VOID-DOME LOSER 2020

immortal anime posted:

BLUF: If a driver is driving the car forwards at 80 MPH and you walk from the front seat to the back seat, if the car disappeared which direction would you go when you hit the ground?

Imagine a driver is driving a car "forwards" at 80 MPH. Your child is crying so you unbuckle your seatbelt to check on them so you walk "backwards" towards the rear of the car. This is the opposite direction that the car is traveling. Say you are walking about 5-10 MPH in the car. If the car suddenly disappeared, which direction would your body roll when you hit the pavement, if the pavement was completely flat and had no influence on which way you roll? If it doesn't make sense to you that the car disappeared, imagine you are walking off the top of a car. Attached is a visualization to help you understand the problem.

Personally, I say you continue to go backwards. Yes, the car is going forwards, but your body is not-when you hit the pavement you will go 10 MPH opposite of the car, because once you step off the car you aren't traveling 80 MPH now. My wife says you go forwards, because you subtract 10 from 80 (10 being how fast you're walking) which would action mean you roll backwards (towards the car) when you hit the pavement. Thoughts? I don't know if there is a solution, but it's an interesting thought experiment.

immortal anime posted:

80-10= 69 mph

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Your wife is right.

Gregslo
Dec 9, 2005

Is that you John Wayne? Is this me?
You would continue moving in the direction of the car at 70 mph while your wife drives off to gently caress a smarter man.

immortal anime
Oct 21, 2017

by Lowtax

Gregslo posted:

You would continue moving in the direction of the car at 70 mph while your wife drives off to gently caress a smarter man.

So as soon as I step off the car and hit the pavement I get sucked back in it's direction? Even if I somersaulted or jumped forward? I don't see how that makes sense.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

You are only moving backward relative to the car, you are still moving forward relative to everything else.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Your wife is correct, you still have the forward motion of the car applied to your body.

Also, do you often think about falling out of the car while your baby cries and your wife is in the front seat? Perhaps the real physics problem here should be "why am I dangerously depressed and suicidal?".

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

If the car dissapears instantly I think it's momentum would dissapear with it, so I think in this case you are correct

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

OP do you believe that if you are in a plummeting elevator that you can survive by 'jumping' at the last second?

immortal anime
Oct 21, 2017

by Lowtax

popewiles posted:

OP do you believe that if you are in a plummeting elevator that you can survive by 'jumping' at the last second?

No, because gravity will push me down if I jump up. This situation is different because of a car driving horizontal.

Gavrilo Princip
Feb 4, 2007

immortal anime posted:

So as soon as I step off the car and hit the pavement I get sucked back in it's direction? Even if I somersaulted or jumped forward? I don't see how that makes sense.

Your momentum vector still points in the direction of the car's travel and you retain that momentum when the car disappears. Even jumping will only affect your net momentum by a small amount, so you'll carry on travelling in the same direction as the car.

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

is the car on a treadmill?

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

immortal anime posted:

No, because gravity will push me down if I jump up.

The same will happen here but with stupidity

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Enough of this useless theorycrafting, you need to get hard empirical results. Have your wife accelerate to 80mph while you're standing on the roof and then jump off the back and report what happens.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
what about a jet on a friction less treadmill op

Gregslo
Dec 9, 2005

80 mph + (-10) mph = 70 mph. The ten is negative because it's in the opposite direction. You're still moving at 70 mph in relation to the ground.

immortal anime
Oct 21, 2017

by Lowtax

Gregslo posted:

80 mph + (-10) mph = 70 mph. The ten is negative because it's in the opposite direction. You're still moving at 70 mph in relation to the ground.

Wait if I jump 81 MPH I will go backwards?

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

immortal anime posted:

Yes but you're too stupid and weak to accelerate yourself to 80mph

Gregslo
Dec 9, 2005

immortal anime posted:

Yes

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
What happens if you ride a bike on a treadmill and hit the brakes? :thunk:

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Gregslo posted:

immortal anime
Oct 21, 2017

by Lowtax

Walrus Pete posted:

Yes but you're too stupid and weak to accelerate yourself to 80mph

What if the car is then going 10 mph and I jump 80? I think you're starting to learn via my socratic method :)

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

You can test this by throwing something backwards out the window - a ball or whatever - and watching which way it rolls. Your wife is right.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
i bet you dont even have a wife op

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Your wife seems nice, I don't think I could marry a mentally retarded person.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
So in the OP's world buses and subway trains don't need to stop, you can just walk off the back.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Emptyquote this post if you support re-permabanning the OP

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

SCROTO TURBOSPERG posted:

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

immortal anime posted:

What if the car is then going 10 mph and I jump 80? I think you're starting to learn via my socratic method :)

You know what, how about trying this tonight at home? Start your car rolling at about 45 mph. Put it into cruise control and jump out the back at EXACTLY 45 mph. Guess what will happen then!

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

This is a really tricky problem, so I can see your frustration! Let me try to break this down for you as best as I can.
If we apply the eight principals of physics (formally referred to as Octoid's Razor), there are several things that immediately come to mind: what is the surface of the road? does it have any viscous materials on it like oil, jizz, or spanish peanuts?
This would change the heat on the surface and therefore, change the kinetic energy trapped in the model - model energy is called the Estes Foundation, btw.

We know from thermodynamics (that's theory that explains why a cup of water will boil with ice-cubes are in it) that in conjunction with the Estes Foundation that the car's vector cannot be accurately calculated due to the <hat - unit> direction and magnitude of said vector. As a result, your body will also inherit the property of not being able to calculate the <hat - unit> direction and magnitude vector.

All this leads to the inescapable conclusion that we will never be able to prove what happens to two bodies in motion in the same system, including any experimental data from a few hundred years ago.

HTH friend.

immortal anime
Oct 21, 2017

by Lowtax

A Fancy Hat posted:

You know what, how about trying this tonight at home? Start your car rolling at about 45 mph. Put it into cruise control and jump out the back at EXACTLY 45 mph. Guess what will happen then!

Right, but a car will always be faster than a human. It's like the old paradox of what weighs more, a pound of feathers or a pound of lead? It tries to set you up into thinking they weigh the same, but lead has more density. Now apply this same thinking to a human vs a car, and the car will always be faster--but we're getting off track. I think that the human would still roll in the direction opposite of the car if they jumped. No one has shown me physical proof otherwise.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
"If I move at 70 mph, will I instantly change speed to 10 mph in the other direction when I no longer touch the car"

Yes, you will, op! This is known in physics as the Abraham-Minkowski controversy.

immortal anime
Oct 21, 2017

by Lowtax

ilovebeersooomuch posted:

This is a really tricky problem, so I can see your frustration! Let me try to break this down for you as best as I can.
If we apply the eight principals of physics (formally referred to as Octoid's Razor), there are several things that immediately come to mind: what is the surface of the road? does it have any viscous materials on it like oil, jizz, or spanish peanuts?
This would change the heat on the surface and therefore, change the kinetic energy trapped in the model - model energy is called the Estes Foundation, btw.

We know from thermodynamics (that's theory that explains why a cup of water will boil with ice-cubes are in it) that in conjunction with the Estes Foundation that the car's vector cannot be accurately calculated due to the <hat - unit> direction and magnitude of said vector. As a result, your body will also inherit the property of not being able to calculate the <hat - unit> direction and magnitude vector.

All this leads to the inescapable conclusion that we will never be able to prove what happens to two bodies in motion in the same system, including any experimental data from a few hundred years ago.

HTH friend.

This is nonsense.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
try this op: stuff yourself down into a canon, then stuff that canon facing the opposite direction down into another canon. then fire both simultaneously

immortal anime
Oct 21, 2017

by Lowtax

Mooey Cow posted:

"If I move at 70 mph, will I instantly change speed to 10 mph in the other direction when I no longer touch the car"

Yes, you will, op! This is known in physics as the Abraham-Minkowski controversy.

Right, showing my mom this when she gets home from work.

e: I mean my wife. Excuse the typo.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

immortal anime posted:

. No one has shown me physical proof otherwise.

Ultimately you gotta find out for yourself, for science favors those who conduct science themselves.

immortal anime
Oct 21, 2017

by Lowtax
I guess we can never really know, because there's no way to safely test it. In the end, like most things, all that matters is what you think and not what anyone else thinks-because that's just their opinion. I don't care much about proving my mom right with the Abraham-Mikowski controversy, because I never tested it myself. We can agree to disagree and still go on loving each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

• Locked thread