Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Wasn't Verrit the Twitter platform for racists and Nazis?

Edit: I should include a picture with this snipe.

Leave has a new favorite as of 15:25 on Feb 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Leavemywife posted:

That's Gab. Verrit was Twitter with eight-digit "verrit codes" for every tweet that linked to factchecking, pushed by the kind of people who wrote thinkpieces about how woke Hillary's campaign was.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

That's Gab. Verrit was Twitter with eight-digit "verrit codes" for every tweet that linked to factchecking, pushed by the kind of people who wrote thinkpieces about how woke Hillary's campaign was.

Oh, yeah, that's right. Why isn't Twitter good enough for these people?

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Leavemywife posted:

Oh, yeah, that's right. Why isn't Twitter good enough for these people?

Twitter isn't good enough for anybody (except the bigots and nitwits they obsessively court), but I understand what you mean.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Pounded in the Butt by an Angry Cock

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon
It kinda works:

https://i.imgur.com/PkoPsHU.mp4

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Don't you have to explain why things are funny when you post them?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

He gets a pass there I think.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
If you have to explain it, it's not funny.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
I don't think that's necessarily true. It's just not as funny as it would be to somebody who already knows that joke.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Field Mousepad posted:

If you have to explain it, it's not funny.

thus why he has to explain this

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Also there needs to be a guarantor of worth behind a currency. Bitcoin is absolutely worthless since it can be infinitely speculated up and down.

Any asset can be infinitely speculated up and down. What's the guarantor of worth behind any other currency?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Phanatic posted:

Any asset can be infinitely speculated up and down. What's the guarantor of worth behind any other currency?

Not being limited to 7 transactions per second max for one.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"

Indecisive posted:

thus why he has to explain this

Maybe because it says "Reboots Summer 2018", with 'Reboot' implying Summer 2018 already happened and this event is a better version of that. It is funny because 'Summer 2018' has not happened yet. :shrug:

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Phanatic posted:

Dunno if youre aware of this, but uh, the government?

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

That's what evacuees looked like in WW2 though? It's a totally normal thing in the UK (see how the price is in pounds not dollars) where hundreds of thousands of children were sent to live in the country during the worst of the bombing during the war. For some reason ignorant Americans see this and think "oh it's an Anne Frank costume!" even though she's never pictured wearing clothing like that.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Verrit is real fuckin' hard to explain, because it makes no sense at all and is only of relevant to extremely online politics people.

After the humiliating defeat of former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton by the game show host Donald Trump in the 2016 US Presidential election, Clinton consultant Peter Daou launched Verrit to combat the spread of Fake News. Essentially Verrit is a website that has quotes about how Hilary Clinton was good, and each quote came with a Verrit code. You would take the code to the Verrit website to verify that the quote was real.

If you are asking, "wait, what?" or "surely there was more to it than that?" then yeah, that was literally everyone else's reaaction. Coming from a high-level consultant like Daou and with the approval of Clinton herself who had tweeted about the launch, people were baffled by Verrit. And everyone assumed that was the end of it. Until now.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Guy Goodbody posted:

Verrit is real fuckin' hard to explain, because it makes no sense at all and is only of relevant to extremely online politics people.

After the humiliating defeat of former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton by the game show host Donald Trump in the 2016 US Presidential election, Clinton consultant Peter Daou launched Verrit to combat the spread of Fake News. Essentially Verrit is a website that has quotes about how Hilary Clinton was good, and each quote came with a Verrit code. You would take the code to the Verrit website to verify that the quote was real.

If you are asking, "wait, what?" or "surely there was more to it than that?" then yeah, that was literally everyone else's reaaction. Coming from a high-level consultant like Daou and with the approval of Clinton herself who had tweeted about the launch, people were baffled by Verrit. And everyone assumed that was the end of it. Until now.
what?

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Exactly. Verrit made no sense what so ever.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

ookiimarukochan posted:

That's what evacuees looked like in WW2 though? It's a totally normal thing in the UK (see how the price is in pounds not dollars) where hundreds of thousands of children were sent to live in the country during the worst of the bombing during the war. For some reason ignorant Americans see this and think "oh it's an Anne Frank costume!" even though she's never pictured wearing clothing like that.

I don't think anyone said it was inaccurate. Just a funny photo of a bizarre "girl's fantasy" costume. Do girls in the UK like to dress up like refugees for fun or something?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Leavemywife posted:

Edit: I should include a picture with this snipe.

I have this shirt and I love it dearly.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
The whole thing is not... exactly romanticised in the UK, but the evacuees aren't seen as refugees -- they were being sent out of harm's way, not because their parents were already dead. It's pretty commonly seen as Plucky Kids Going On A Heroic Adventure And Showing Indomitable British Spirit.

I'm not a historian so I've no idea how true that was, but that's certainly the popular perception.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Last Chance posted:

I don't think anyone said it was inaccurate. Just a funny photo of a bizarre "girl's fantasy" costume. Do girls in the UK like to dress up like refugees for fun or something?

Its not that uncommon for kids to dress up like that for a school project learning about the war. So when these companies scrape the search terms for costumes it will probably come up.

The_Book_Of_Harry
Apr 30, 2013

Jamesman posted:

The gameplay drags after a while, but everyone should play The Bard's Tale because it's loving hilarious.

Hello, childhood

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Last Chance posted:

It's usually done as part of school history lessons. Dress up and roleplay what it would be like

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

I found a subreddit for your posts, you should go there and get this crap out of your system before visiting SA

https://www.reddit.com/r/notinteresting/

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Don't sign your posts

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Drone_Fragger posted:

Dunno if youre aware of this, but uh, the government?

Yeah. Exactly my point. There's nothing about the government being a guarantor that prevents a currency from being speculated infinitely up and down. I mean, countries have chosen in the past to literally hyperinflate their currencies in order to pay off debt. Big-name economists like Krugman have advocated that the US should engage in massive inflationary policy in order to pay down its debts. At the time of its issuance, this was worth about $30 USD and is also a funny picture:

Bitcoin's dumb as hell but a number of the reasons why people think it's dumb are also dumb.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

I think an important thing to note about Daou is that nearly everything he has done in the past year has been fueled by spite for the Chapo Trap House because they kept making fun of his Goddess Mother Hillary Clinton

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Tsaedje posted:

It's usually done as part of school history lessons. Dress up and roleplay what it would be like

Yep, we had a discussion about all that in the bootleg/knockoff thread

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It's not an Anne Frank costume, it's a WW2 British child evacuee costume. The name tag pinned to her lapel (in case she gets lost on the trip) is a good indicator.

There's also a boys version of the costume:

Dunno if you guys have actually read The Diary of Anne Frank but she doesn't get evacuated in the end. :ssh:

Edit: apparently at least one costume site was selling it as an Anne Frank costume

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Also apparently dressing up as a WW2 evacuee for a school project is a thing in the UK?

I'm guessing that the costume company decides on what new costumes they're going to put out every year by checking what the most popular recent google search terms were for costumes so all those British school kids skewed the results. "Hey, WW2 evacuee costumes are super popular this year? Well all right, if that's what the people want ..."

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Maybe it’s their way of doing an unlicensed Narnia cosplay.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The evacuee outfit is also tied to Narnia.

E: gently caress

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009
I have a request: Does anybody remember the picture where some guy replaced his iPhone standard icons with pictures of himself reenacting them? Like, the iPod was him listening to an iPod, the calculator was him holding a calculator, all with the same face?

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

`Nemesis posted:

I found a subreddit for your posts, you should go there and get this crap out of your system before visiting SA

https://www.reddit.com/r/notinteresting/

I am sincerely sorry for your loss because the Verrit Saga is one of the funniest things on this dead, gay earth

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

They should've posted this GIF.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Mezzanine posted:

I have a request: Does anybody remember the picture where some guy replaced his iPhone standard icons with pictures of himself reenacting them? Like, the iPod was him listening to an iPod, the calculator was him holding a calculator, all with the same face?
I know exactly the one you mean I just don't have it, I am sorry :(

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?
I have a feeling someone posted the iPhone image earlier in the thread, I'll see if I can find it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS