Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LastCaress
May 8, 2004

bonobo

ManofManyAliases posted:

My goal is not to try and turn people here, defend CIG from the goons, shill for CIG, protect backers or the like. It's to defenstrate this notion that crowdfunding of this magnitude is bad, that a company that may not have started off surefooted can try and gain some ground in the more recent years and that there exists a possibility of a space simulation that many people want and is for all intents and purposes, attainable. Look: CIG has raised a poo poo ton of money from backers and an unknown amount from private investment. They have positioned themselves around tax hurdles, setup subs to adjust their positions, hedge and play the game (just like any other corporation does), and - iny my opinion - are making efforts to really achieve some semblance of a game that has grown into the scope that it has because of backer demands. I don't think Chris is sitting atop a pile of decisions and yes'ing or no'ing each into oblivion. I think he relies heavily on the advice of Todd, Erin and others for their respective areas and yes - as CEO decides overall direction but leaves a lot of the liberty to the respective heads. As for Crytek: I think CIG would have outright settled if they honestly thought they were in the wrong and "caught" by Crytek (so to speak). Either there are other facets of the agreement(s) that were made that we're just not privy to or they really think CryTek's case isn't strong enough to worry about.

To your point about attacking the arguments of others instead of others directly: I'm not outright attacking anyone. I tried making reasoned arguments but either people thought they were poo poo and stopped responding or felt the need to quash the one outspoken voice in the thread so badly that it just became less and less fun to argue. Now I just poke Smart every once in a while and say a few words here-and-there to gauge what the narrative shifted to week-by-week. One week it's about marketing and Sandi. Another it's about Erin and some Irish Mafia connection. Then it's Archer. Rinse, repeat. It's honestly old. I stopped giving CIG money and am equally as glad that there's no need to buy into and pay for anything more in SA forums. Some of the other threads and topics in the forums are ok - I'll go spend some time there and talk about my fishing kayak, learn a few tips for when I'm at the range next or whatever.

>>> %Run sentiment.py
https://westeurope.api.cognitive.microsoft.com/text/analytics/v2.0/sentiment
{'documents': [{'score': 0.23541486263275146, 'id': '1'}], 'errors': []}
>>>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

SomethingJones posted:

When you use an online thesaurus to post in order to appear intelligent, oftentimes you end up using a word that sticks out and gives you away.

It's often better to use a diminutive word to encapsulate the very verisimilitude of your position, and avoid any appearance of ambiguity intrafrastically.

Two years of Austen has a way of warping the consciousness in ways that cannot be fully appreciated.

tl;dr - yes.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

IANAD but when can we expect a reply to Motion to Defenestrate?

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Nice! Cheers goonarooni

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Speaking of love! If you are still looking for that perfect Valentine’s Day gift, why not take a look at our shop, as nothing says “I want to spend more time with you” more than a Star Citizen Starter Package.

Remember: “The M50 is red, the Razor is blue – I’ll find my Valentine in the PU.”

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Nicholas posted:

was it a mass exodus or do they just update the post occasionally so it doesnt seem like these roles have gone unfilled for months upon months?

They refresh vacancies on the CIG site from time to time to which rotates the 'latest vacancies' that appear at the top.

What's changed recently is vacancies being posted en masse in big chunks on recruitment sites like indeed.co.uk and creativeheads and others.

Some of these senior roles are new vacancies.

They had a top tier marketing girl in LA quit late last year shortly after she appeared in a video and senior roles started coming up after that and have continued into January.

You can actually watch them promote QAs internally and then the QA vacancy goes up and the dev role comes down.

All of this is public and paints a picture. Imagine you're a poo poo hot programmer, young, single, good looking with great hair and you don't require fingerless programming gloves because your work speaks for itself.

You aren't looking at indeed.co.uk to make a move at that level.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Has Frenchie said anything amusing about Cry vs Cig in the video uploaded a few hours ago?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hioAOD7c2EM

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

SelenicMartian posted:

Has Frenchie said anything amusing about Cry vs Cig in the video uploaded a few hours ago?

"I don't know what that means"

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Daztek posted:

"I don't know what that means"

Lmao

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

ManofManyAliases posted:

No, it isn't:

https://web.stanford.edu/class/history34q/readings/Derrida/Differance.html

For the record, Derrida talks about the ability to get to the underlying meaning of language through both difference and deference (when specifically talking about the element of time

In other words, our understanding of a word/words/phrase isn't so binary that it can be ascribed to one or another meaning, but that the meaning is fluid and depends on an abstract, social agreement of said word/words/phrases at a particular moment in time.

Defenestration was the act of physically throwing a person or oneself out of a window. But if the societal majority agree that defenestration in the colloquial now means the expulsion of a one's ideas "out the window" ( so to speak), then that is what becomes accepted.

No no no my sweet summer child,star citizen is bad.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Daztek posted:

Speaking of love! If you are still looking for that perfect Valentine’s Day gift, why not take a look at our shop, as nothing says “I want to spend more time with you” more than a Star Citizen Starter Package.

Remember: “The M50 is red, the Razor is blue – I’ll find my Valentine in the PU.”

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

I wonder if CIG pays well.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

SoftNum posted:

Depends on what company you work for.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I've heard they pay below industry average. So it's a poo poo gig where you crunch for 5 years and get paid less than everyone you know.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

I think these guys really do believe that the number of times they lie about something, then repeat it ad nauseum, the more likely that it will change to actual demonstrable facts. :allears:

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Daztek posted:

Any word on CIG offering a Valentine's day pack of 2 ships for me and my loved one (WHICH WASN'T loving GIFTABLE BECAUSE THEY ARE IDIOTS!)

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

his nibs posted:

Word on the street is that it's not Derek, but I remain highly skeptical

I gave up on that one sometime ago. Now I just roll with it because it's hilarious to me.

----------------

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Duckaerobics posted:

I believe it only because I don't think there is anyway Derek would let anyone else take his spotlight.

That, and the fact that Beet did hear back from a Reddit admin that they had no reason to believe that was my alt. So. :colbert:

----------------

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

ManofManyAliases posted:

What company do you know comments on pending legal action? Or, makes a variety public statements while under potential legal action?

CIG for starters?

To wit:

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/940947796794003457.html

"We are aware of the Crytek complaint having been filed in the US District Court. "CIG hasn’t used the CryEngine for quite some time since we switched to Amazon’s Lumberyard. This is a meritless lawsuit that we will defend vigorously against, including recovering from Crytek any costs incurred in this matter."

----------------

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

SoftNum posted:

MoMA, who is Toast, would know!

e: Poxy paralegal salary though.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Thread title is poo poo.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

ManofManyAliases posted:

My goal is not to try and turn people here, defend CIG from the goons, shill for CIG, protect backers or the like. It's to defenstrate this notion that crowdfunding of this magnitude is bad, that a company that may not have started off surefooted can try and gain some ground in the more recent years and that there exists a possibility of a space simulation that many people want and is for all intents and purposes, attainable. Look: CIG has raised a poo poo ton of money from backers and an unknown amount from private investment. They have positioned themselves around tax hurdles, setup subs to adjust their positions, hedge and play the game (just like any other corporation does), and - iny my opinion - are making efforts to really achieve some semblance of a game that has grown into the scope that it has because of backer demands. I don't think Chris is sitting atop a pile of decisions and yes'ing or no'ing each into oblivion. I think he relies heavily on the advice of Todd, Erin and others for their respective areas and yes - as CEO decides overall direction but leaves a lot of the liberty to the respective heads. As for Crytek: I think CIG would have outright settled if they honestly thought they were in the wrong and "caught" by Crytek (so to speak). Either there are other facets of the agreement(s) that were made that we're just not privy to or they really think CryTek's case isn't strong enough to worry about.

To your point about attacking the arguments of others instead of others directly: I'm not outright attacking anyone. I tried making reasoned arguments but either people thought they were poo poo and stopped responding or felt the need to quash the one outspoken voice in the thread so badly that it just became less and less fun to argue. Now I just poke Smart every once in a while and say a few words here-and-there to gauge what the narrative shifted to week-by-week. One week it's about marketing and Sandi. Another it's about Erin and some Irish Mafia connection. Then it's Archer. Rinse, repeat. It's honestly old. I stopped giving CIG money and am equally as glad that there's no need to buy into and pay for anything more in SA forums. Some of the other threads and topics in the forums are ok - I'll go spend some time there and talk about my fishing kayak, learn a few tips for when I'm at the range next or whatever.

----------------

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Close the window, MoMA

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

D_Smart posted:

I think these guys really do believe that the number of times they lie about something, then repeat it ad nauseum, the more likely that it will change to actual demonstrable facts. :allears:

Username / post combination.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
Hey! Who remembers when I totally called this one?

Remember our pandering pal, Leonard French?

Jan 7th, 2018 @ 38:28

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ti4R8JsJa9A

quote:

"this [Motion to Dismiss] sounds like a knock-out punch to me"

Feb 13, 2018 @ 01:31

quote:

"I really don't know which way this one's gonna go. If I'm gonna put my money on it...and I'm not...I'm gonna give it odds towards that the motion to dismiss gets denied and the case continues for further adjudication. Whether that be into discovery or what, I expect there to be a denial of the motion to dismiss. I'm not predicting that as a hundred percent though - I'm going 60/40 on that"

I did say that despite being entitled to his opinions, it seems like he was just pandering to the Cognitive Dissonance of the backer base who have been parroting that nonsense since Dec when he started chiming in on the case.

He is at 60/40. I remain 100% ALL IN that the MtD is going to get DENIED out of hand. What remains to be seen is how much - if any - of it survives at all.

----------------

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Feb 12, 2018

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug
At what kind of range does one use a fishing kayak?

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
Also MOMA, stop being a pedantic twit. Chill MOMA is better.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

D_Smart posted:

Hey! Who remembers when I totally called this one?

Remember our pandering pal, Leonard French?

Jan 7th, 2018 @ 38:28

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ti4R8JsJa9A

Feb 13, 2018 @ 01:31

https://youtu.be/hioAOD7c2EM

I did say that despite being entitled to his opinions, it seems like he was just pandering to the Cognitive Dissonance of the backer base who have been parroting that nonsense since Dec when he started chiming in on the case.

He is at 60/40. I remain 100% ALL IN that the MtD is going to get DENIED out of hand. What remains to be seen is how much - if any - of it survives at all.

Derek Smart was 60/40 right.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Dooguk posted:

How far can you throw a harpoon? That's your range.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

ManofManyAliases posted:

My goal is not to try and turn people here, defend CIG from the goons, shill for CIG, protect backers or the like. It's to defenstrate this notion that crowdfunding of this magnitude is bad, that a company that may not have started off surefooted can try and gain some ground in the more recent years and that there exists a possibility of a space simulation that many people want and is for all intents and purposes, attainable.

(And more :words:.)

(I can’t believe you’ve had this many replies and nobody said “Nice meltdown.” And nobody pointed out you spelled “defenestrate” incorrectly either. Oh well I won’t break the streak.)

My reply is late so please ignore this if the thread moved on. Seems you made an earnest effort with your defenestration effortpost so I might as well do the same in reply.

“It's to defenstrate this notion that crowdfunding of this magnitude is bad.”

Well that’s a surprising mission statement at this point. MoMA, defenestrator of erroneous notions about crowdfunding at scale, etc.. I just assumed you stayed for the camaraderie and already made peace with the project malaise. I guess I misread that.

It’s honesty been a while since Erin, Sandi or Archer (!) have really been in the hot seat. Feels like Papy’s been made the heat sink for backer dreams this season in his new role. Poor bastard. Oh and Lando, too — laying it on thicker than ever, convincing no one, and leaving many of us nostalgic for the earnestness of the trueblood fanboy Lesnick.

Nobody here thinks Sandi does the Marketing nor have they for ages — she shows up for ATV, occasionally twitters, pursues the next cutting room floor gig with that indomitable drive of hers, drives away Marketing subordinates quarterly, and hits a stage twice a year to tearfully giggle before a crowd as if each new appearance was her accepting a lifetime achievement award for humanitarian work rather than being a big awkward reminder she’s still making fat bank for reading scripts about marginal progress underway for a game she cares not a whit about.

As for Erin and Chris, they both seem to be shrinking and retreating. Chris has pivoted back to Squadron oversight again so that should pretty much kill its hope of release in the next couple of years. Erin was supposed to be a confidence builder for the backers but at this point his machine gun stammer and worrying health signs just seem to heighten anxieties. He may be better off letting the Dukes of High Chill, Papy and Chambers, do the talking. Neither look like they’re about to grab their chest and start gasping — which is optically a more helpful look.

I don’t know how it looks from where you stand but it sure feels to me like 2017 was the year that the expansionist vision of Star Citizen surrendered to contraction and resignation, even though neither CIG nor backers are openly speaking of it. Capitulation is felt and seen everywhere even though old habits die hard and routines run habitually. It’s depressingly thin gruel for comedy sometimes but we do what we can.

CONSIDER THE LIVESTREAMERS

You can really see it on the regular fan livestreams. Redacted, Relay, the Captain’s Table, the Space Bro Show. Nobody is playing the release they spent a year and a half hyped to max about.

It’s widely agreed that 3.01 is unplayable. If it’s not the framerates, it’s the interdictions. If not the interdictions, the broken missions. So everybody’s jamming on Tarkov, Fortnite, Monster Hunter or something, anything else but Star Citizen during their daily streams and when they get together for their weekly discussions with other streamers, they theorycraft about 3.2, 4.0, “what I will do when (x) is in the game”, or they grouse politely about CIG’s gaffes of the last week. The old routines run out of duty, habit, compulsion — even though they rely on an assumption nobody really seems to believe anymore:

“The game will one day be fixed, fun and make possible all of these theorycrafted possibilities for gameplay I’ve been clinging to for years and do so better than all games that came before it.”

(Just listen to Erris on this week’s Relay craptalking about Bethesda’s supposedly terrible lockpicking mechanics and you’ll see him employ this when theorycrafting CIG’s better [but as yet totally undefined] way of implementing hacking in the game...)

The routines die hard, but even the longtime loyalists are exhausted, losing faith, watching the last dimly glowing embers of what was once white hot hope slowly crumble off as ash. Even if stability and performance weren’t such a brutal tax, the meager loops and frustratingly implemented play mechanics in the game are a drag as designed — a fact that guys like Luke Pressley at Foundry openly admit. There’s a huge burden to fix not just what is broken to make what isn’t broken Fun. In year 6.

Erris’s desperate pleading that “We need Chris, too” because “Chris gives me faith” a couple of weeks ago was a miserable drat sight; a dreamoholic with cirrhosis of the brain begging for a shot of the hair of the dog that bit him. Chris’s confidence helps Erris run the magic routine. But Chris is retreating, closing up, slipping away and he might as well, he may be symbolic source of hope for the dreamer collective but he’s the practical source of the project malaise just as Lucas was for the prequels.

Batgirl watched CIG revoke her backstage VIP pass right after they maximized the chance to squeeze it for a little extra CitizenCon 2017 hype — cold-blooded, considering how loyal she’s been and for how long. Now she’s venturing into constructive criticism.

Dan Gheesling said his pained goodbyes after explaining 3.0 didn’t have enough to keep either him or his viewers engaged.

BadNewsBaron wrote an essay of defense of Star Citizen on Medium.com a little while back, but he too has moved on quietly to new games.

Twerk probably didn’t realize the irony last week when he openly bemoaned that the bigger ships made for terrible FPS levels and it really needed fixing — he was only just now seeing problems that Heretic Beer4theBeerGod had written extensive warnings about three years ago. Good thing CIG drove out such voices and left the community a safe space for asskissers and theorycrafters — they’ll have only each other to feed on as they get exactly what they asked for all along, Chris Roberts’s unalloyed vision of the Best drat Space Sim Ever.

The malaise is everywhere — the sense that things have gone horribly wrong is widely felt though not widely acknowledged. It’s the subtext of nearly all discussions about the game between fans and streamers and even from CIG themselves yet never the text save for places like here, or Frontier forums, Derek’s blogs, the refunds subreddit, MassivelyOP or other little heretical outposts here and there. (There’s another very interesting one but I’ll write about that later.)

If the thread feels like a broken record, MoMA well, it’s in part because malaise has been the story here for years.

CIG really seems to be shrinking before our eyes and putting greater distance between leadership and the public than in the dumb ol’ days. Most of the energy and enthusiasm these days has shifted to arguing about the Crytek lawsuit because at least that has a wide range of possible outcomes and will make winners and losers of those playing prediction games. That game has no designer, it’s been improvised on the fly by critics and fans serving their time-honored roles on a new battlefield, yet even that game is a better game than Chris has managed to put out after $180 Million and six years of effort. Seems like that says quite a lot, little of it good.

I still enjoy your participation in the thread, MoMA. How you spend your money is your business and if you want to use big $0.25 words in effort posts I’m hardly one to throw stones. You do you, even if you like to rock the :smuggo: maybe more than you should and the :gary: not enough.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Propagandist posted:

:grin:

----------------

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

Dooguk posted:

Beet, how far can your dog jump?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

I REMAIN 100% ALL IN *SKRONK*

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

:yikes:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Propagandist posted:

Sixty percent of the time he's right all the time.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

G0RF posted:

The malaise is everywhere — the sense that things have gone horribly wrong is widely felt though not widely acknowledged.

And also in the game.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

I think Mr. French was hoping to get some sweet CIG money for being an adviser on the case (since afaik that's how he got that other gig he had). But now that it's obvious it won't happen he doesn't give a poo poo anymore.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

G0RF posted:

(I can’t believe you’ve had this many replies and nobody said “Nice meltdown.” And nobody pointed out you spelled “defenestrate” incorrectly either. Oh well I won’t break the streak.)

My reply is late so please ignore this if the thread moved on. Seems you made an earnest effort with your defenestration effortpost so I might as well do the same in reply.

“It's to defenstrate this notion that crowdfunding of this magnitude is bad.”

Well that’s a surprising mission statement at this point. MoMA, defenestrator of erroneous notions about crowdfunding at scale, etc.. I just assumed you stayed for the camaraderie and already made peace with the project malaise. I guess I misread that.

It’s honesty been a while since Erin, Sandi or Archer (!) have really been in the hot seat. Feels like Papy’s been made the heat sink for backer dreams this season in his new role. Poor bastard. Oh and Lando, too — laying it on thicker than ever, convincing no one, and leaving many of us nostalgic for the earnestness of the trueblood fanboy Lesnick.

Nobody here thinks Sandi does the Marketing nor have they for ages — she shows up for ATV, occasionally twitters, pursues the next cutting room floor gig with that indomitable drive of hers, drives away Marketing subordinates quarterly, and hits a stage twice a year to tearfully giggle before a crowd as if each new appearance was her accepting a lifetime achievement award for humanitarian work rather than being a big awkward reminder she’s still making fat bank for reading scripts about marginal progress underway for a game she cares not a whit about.

As for Erin and Chris, they both seem to be shrinking and retreating. Chris has pivoted back to Squadron oversight again so that should pretty much kill its hope of release in the next couple of years. Erin was supposed to be a confidence builder for the backers but at this point his machine gun stammer and worrying health signs just seem to heighten anxieties. He may be better off letting the Dukes of High Chill, Papy and Chambers, do the talking. Neither look like they’re about to grab their chest and start gasping — which is optically a more helpful look.

I don’t know how it looks from where you stand but it sure feels to me like 2017 was the year that the expansionist vision of Star Citizen surrendered to contraction and resignation, even though neither CIG nor backers are openly speaking of it. Capitulation is felt and seen everywhere even though old habits die hard and routines run habitually. It’s depressingly thin gruel for comedy sometimes but we do what we can.

CONSIDER THE LIVESTREAMERS

You can really see it on the regular fan livestreams. Redacted, Relay, the Captain’s Table, the Space Bro Show. Nobody is playing the release they spent a year and a half hyped to max about.

It’s widely agreed that 3.01 is unplayable. If it’s not the framerates, it’s the interdictions. If not the interdictions, the broken missions. So everybody’s jamming on Tarkov, Fortnite, Monster Hunter or something, anything else but Star Citizen during their daily streams and when they get together for their weekly discussions with other streamers, they theorycraft about 3.2, 4.0, “what I will do when (x) is in the game”, or they grouse politely about CIG’s gaffes of the last week. The old routines run out of duty, habit, compulsion — even though they rely on an assumption nobody really seems to believe anymore:

“The game will one day be fixed, fun and make possible all of these theorycrafted possibilities for gameplay I’ve been clinging to for years and do so better than all games that came before it.”

(Just listen to Erris on this week’s Relay craptalking about Bethesda’s supposedly terrible lockpicking mechanics and you’ll see him employ this when theorycrafting CIG’s better [but as yet totally undefined] way of implementing hacking in the game...)

The routines die hard, but even the longtime loyalists are exhausted, losing faith, watching the last dimly glowing embers of what was once white hot hope slowly crumble off as ash. Even if stability and performance weren’t such a brutal tax, the meager loops and frustratingly implemented play mechanics in the game are a drag as designed — a fact that guys like Luke Pressley at Foundry openly admit. There’s a huge burden to fix not just what is broken to make what isn’t broken Fun. In year 6.

Erris’s desperate pleading that “We need Chris, too” because “Chris gives me faith” a couple of weeks ago was a miserable drat sight; a dreamoholic with cirrhosis of the brain begging for a shot of the hair of the dog that bit him. Chris’s confidence helps Erris run the magic routine. But Chris is retreating, closing up, slipping away and he might as well, he may be symbolic source of hope for the dreamer collective but he’s the practical source of the project malaise just as Lucas was for the prequels.

Batgirl watched CIG revoke her backstage VIP pass right after they maximized the chance to squeeze it for a little extra CitizenCon 2017 hype — cold-blooded, considering how loyal she’s been and for how long. Now she’s venturing into constructive criticism.

Dan Gheesling said his pained goodbyes after explaining 3.0 didn’t have enough to keep either him or his viewers engaged.

BadNewsBaron wrote an essay of defense of Star Citizen on Medium.com a little while back, but he too has moved on quietly to new games.

Twerk probably didn’t realize the irony last week when he openly bemoaned that the bigger ships made for terrible FPS levels and it really needed fixing — he was only just now seeing problems that Heretic Beer4theBeerGod had written extensive warnings about three years ago. Good thing CIG drove out such voices and left the community a safe space for asskissers and theorycrafters — they’ll have only each other to feed on as they get exactly what they asked for all along, Chris Roberts’s unalloyed vision of the Best drat Space Sim Ever.

The malaise is everywhere — the sense that things have gone horribly wrong is widely felt though not widely acknowledged. It’s the subtext of nearly all discussions about the game between fans and streamers and even from CIG themselves yet never the text save for places like here, or Frontier forums, Derek’s blogs, the refunds subreddit, MassivelyOP or other little heretical outposts here and there. (There’s another very interesting one but I’ll write about that later.)

If the thread feels like a broken record, MoMA well, it’s in part because malaise has been the story here for years.

CIG really seems to be shrinking before our eyes and putting greater distance between leadership and the public than in the dumb ol’ days. Most of the energy and enthusiasm these days has shifted to arguing about the Crytek lawsuit because at least that has a wide range of possible outcomes and will make winners and losers of those playing prediction games. That game has no designer, it’s been improvised on the fly by critics and fans serving their time-honored roles on a new battlefield, yet even that game is a better game than Chris has managed to put out after $180 Million and six years of effort. Seems like that says quite a lot, little of it good.

I still enjoy your participation in the thread, MoMA. How you spend your money is your business and if you want to use big $0.25 words in effort posts I’m hardly one to throw stones. You do you, even if you like to rock the :smuggo: maybe more than you should and the :gary: not enough.

:monocle:

:brutaltakedown:

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

thatguy posted:

Every time Derek or MoMA gets one of their posts quoted by six or more people everyone who responded including the OP (Derek/MoMA) should get probated. This should be enacted immediately as it would improve the thread immensely. Thank you for listening to my suggestion.
Bump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

I really want Squadron 42 to come out. Gigabytes of pure Chris Roberts 'vision'. Leaden, hackneyed, derivative, and that'll just be the opening credits.