Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Pellisworth posted:

I thought Kennedy nailed "party girl" just fine. She picked an interpretation of "party girl" which appealed to Ru and was also hilarious. You can't say she didn't rock that challenge, I think it's unfair to say she won because she played a ghetto character. She won because she played ghetto black party girl hilariously well.

I didn't disagree that she rocked the challenge. She earned her spot in the top. My point was that she strayed from her assignment probably more than Aja did. The editing suggested that Aja was placed in the bottom because she didn't portray her assigned character, which is disingenuous since Kennedy didn't get the same criticism. Aja wasn't as funny, which is true. They could have left it at that. But they didn't. Kennedy's portrayal was more thirsty than party girl. The only thing that suggested party girl was bringing out the shots at the very end of the challenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Kennedy was 100% party girl imho and not even just ghetto, reminded me of a lot of girls I used to drink with growing up in a small town.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Nihonniboku posted:

I didn't disagree that she rocked the challenge. She earned her spot in the top. My point was that she strayed from her assignment probably more than Aja did. The editing suggested that Aja was placed in the bottom because she didn't portray her assigned character, which is disingenuous since Kennedy didn't get the same criticism. Aja wasn't as funny, which is true. They could have left it at that. But they didn't. Kennedy's portrayal was more thirsty than party girl. The only thing that suggested party girl was bringing out the shots at the very end of the challenge.

I think you were expecting white girl wasted party girl and that's not who Kennedy was playing.

pandabear
Apr 27, 2006
Jumping on the Kennedy did an amazing party girl train. I am so impressed with her comedic chops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=?6ztB3fg9knE
Seeing this made me realize how Milk can be so insanely unaware (bordering on deluded) yet still charming in person - Like, he obviously didn’t take in any of the criticism but this also meant he didn’t take anything said personally? He is just utterly confused.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Chaotic Flame posted:

I think you were expecting white girl wasted party girl and that's not who Kennedy was playing.
I was real impressed with her take on the party girl. There was a dark, desperate edge to it; that was a party girl at the end of the night, or at the end of several consecutive nights. Being all "wooooooo" would have been too easy.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i swear to god, Ben DLC's facial expressions and acting throughout the Bitchelor is some of the best comedy done on drag race. every time she's on camera as gross mom her face this is mask of alcoholic cougar agony. its incredible

didnt think i would be such a Ben fan this time around but she is crushing it

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
The Bitchelor needs to be turned into its own show a la Burning Love or something.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Ubiquitous_ posted:

The Bitchelor needs to be turned into its own show a la Burning Love or something.

Logo should make it. Anything's better than Fire Island.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I was really hoping Bendela would try to baby bird the banana into Jeffrey's mouth, but we can't always have what we want.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

I just realized there would be a TVIV thread for this so I'mma say this quick: Shangela.

*echoes of kennedy saying I hate you swirl in the wind*

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Ben was excellent as usual. If they want to use that Lorde song they should have used the Chromeo remix.

Bliggers- posted:

I think Shangela dropped the ball in the challenge by allowing Chi Chi to come apart. I know you are not supposed to carry your partner but she did nothing to help Chi Chi land any jokes and she ended looking worse off because of that. I don't understand why she didn't try to be more encouraging and work out some material ahead of time to fall back on.

I disagree with this so hard, Shangela was trying to be a good improv partner the whole way through. Kept setting Chi Chi up for a moment to come up with something (the guy asked how they met, Shangela is like "Oh I'd say it was fate, wouldn't you?" and leaves it wide open for Chi Chi) - she just didn't have the comedy instinct to come up with anything.

zedar
Dec 3, 2010

Your leader
So far this season it seems like Bendela has this in the bag. The thread seems very big on Trixie but so far she has just faded into the background. At first Bebe seemed like a contender, but I suspect she doesn't have enough depth to pull through acting / comedy challenges.

Shangela may be a contender, but she really needs to give up on self-referential gimmicks. From the box on her first arrival, to the corn outfit, to the constant hallelus, it's like she's relying on a cult of personality to carry her through. Though I never liked her in season three either, so maybe I'm just biased.

It feels like Kennedy's elimination of Milk is pretty weird after going on and on about how it should be all about performance in challenges and on the runway, and that almost certainly pointed to a Chichi elimination this week, Milk's only real sin this week was going too hard.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

zedar posted:

So far this season it seems like Bendela has this in the bag. The thread seems very big on Trixie but so far she has just faded into the background. At first Bebe seemed like a contender, but I suspect she doesn't have enough depth to pull through acting / comedy challenges.

Shangela may be a contender, but she really needs to give up on self-referential gimmicks. From the box on her first arrival, to the corn outfit, to the constant hallelus, it's like she's relying on a cult of personality to carry her through. Though I never liked her in season three either, so maybe I'm just biased.

It feels like Kennedy's elimination of Milk is pretty weird after going on and on about how it should be all about performance in challenges and on the runway, and that almost certainly pointed to a Chichi elimination this week, Milk's only real sin this week was going too hard.

Shangie has built her own brand and sticks to it, much like Alaska did.

Also Kennedy has been saying from the start she's taking into account more than just the challenge and runway, hasn't she?

Girl are you watching the same show?

esperterra fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Feb 12, 2018

THS
Sep 15, 2017

zedar posted:

Milk's only real sin this week was going too hard.

:wow:

zedar
Dec 3, 2010

Your leader

I mean if we're judging purely in terms of performance. She was a mess backstage obviously.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

zedar posted:

I mean if we're judging purely in terms of performance. She was a mess backstage obviously.

her runways, talent show act, and Celine Dion diva act have all been bad

I mean, you're entitled to your opinion, but everything Milk has done this season has been very weak and lame af. I say this as someone who went into AS3 hoping Milk would be top four, but she's massively underperformed.

edit: I guess another way of putting it, what do you think Milk has done well so far and why?

Personally I don't think Milk "just went too hard" in the Bitchelor challenge. She was one-note and obnoxious, she just doesn't get that acting and comedy are interactive. She got her stalker role and just blasted a single idea at 110% volume the whole time without playing off her coactors.
It was an improv challenge. Milk didn't improv or interact with Trixie and the Bitchelor, she wasn't funny and sprayed rancid cheese all over that skit.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Feb 12, 2018

zedar
Dec 3, 2010

Your leader
I dunno, maybe it's because I don't really know Celine Dion at all but so far Milk has just seemed bland to me rather than actively bad. Each week there are people who have done worse, her being safe for the first two episodes seemed about right to me. I don't even know why I'm arguing about this as she was obviously never going to win and she was annoying me as much as she was everyone else where, it just seems that if Kennedy was judging on overall performance (which is what I thought she meant when she said she was judging overall, maybe I misinterpreted) then Chichi should have been the one to go. Which would break my heart because I love Chichi, even though she's clearly not doing well so far.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

zedar posted:

I dunno, maybe it's because I don't really know Celine Dion at all but so far Milk has just seemed bland to me rather than actively bad. Each week there are people who have done worse, her being safe for the first two episodes seemed about right to me. I don't even know why I'm arguing about this as she was obviously never going to win and she was annoying me as much as she was everyone else where, it just seems that if Kennedy was judging on overall performance (which is what I thought she meant when she said she was judging overall, maybe I misinterpreted) then Chichi should have been the one to go. Which would break my heart because I love Chichi, even though she's clearly not doing well so far.

That's fair. It's reality TV, you're allowed to get into dumb internet arguments :v:

I agree that ChiChi has done worse overall, but Milk has still been in the bottom of the pack. With All Stars rules, you're an idiot to pick petty fights with other queens like Milk did with Kennedy. You don't control your own elimination.

That's why Ben is trying so hard to be the nice girl. She fully understands how much of a threat she is being in the top all of the first three episodes. At this point, if you're one of the other queens you'd be a fool not to send Ben home if/when she lands in the bottom.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

zedar posted:

I dunno, maybe it's because I don't really know Celine Dion at all

Pellisworth posted:

That's fair. It's reality TV, you're allowed to get into dumb internet arguments :v:

Truth.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

zedar posted:

Milk's only real sin this week was going too hard.
Milk was the only queen to ignore the brief. Michelle expressly told them not to talk over one another, and they didn't, except for Milk.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it's one thing to do badly like Chi-chi and another to sabotage your co-stars for a boring performance. Milk totally deserved the boot.

minema
May 31, 2011
When DeLa said her catheter line I had to pause it I was laughing so hard. :allears:

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I don't know that DeLa threw this lip sync but I can't imagine she was ready for three different lip syncs against three different Queens. I would guess at this stage in the game, you plan to do it once, maybe twice and plan your reveals / gimmicks around that. Alaska had what, 4 LSFYL in AS2? Ben has already done 3 with 6 episodes to go.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I was lukewarm on BenDela in her season, but I’m pretty much rooting for her and Shangela at this point. I love Bebe as well (such goddamn grace) but I don’t think she’ll make it past final four.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

zedar posted:

Brand-building and "expecting the unexpected" are exactly the sort of traits that Ru looks for in winners.

I love Dela but she only has the 1 trick.
For the same reason you don't see Jinkxs being top-billed anymore, whoever wins is going to have to be able to sell the same show in the same city more than once a year, be it on looks, performance, or shock-value.

I'd go so far as to say whoever has the best singing voice to auto-tune will win. Gotta move albums somehow.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

That being said Aja is gaining serious weeaboo traction and I wouldn't be surprised if this is the year they decide to break out internationally by crowning the anime queen.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

4 minutes of next episode are up.

I. Am. GAGGED. at the end.

https://www.facebook.com/RuPaulsDragRacePeru/videos/1606430706060028/

Holy poo poo LOL

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

somnambulist posted:

Holy poo poo LOL

fyi Snatch Game picks:

Trixie - RuPaul
ChiChi - Maya Angelou
Ben - Paul Lynde

I dunno Ben, you can probably pull that off but it's a questionable choice imo.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Bad choices left and right from Trixie. Delightful.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it

somnambulist posted:

Holy poo poo LOL

poo poo, this edit has me :magical: for Trixie.

Please don't let this be as straightforward as Milk's edit from last week, I want Trixie to stay. :cry:

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

shadow puppet of a posted:

Bad choices left and right from Trixie. Delightful.

I disagree. For one, RuPaul loves when queens parody him. Second, Trixie's RuPaul impersonations are hilarious.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, I doubt this will be a Jessica Wild situation. Which tbf he also loved because it was so bizarre.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Didn't she do some impressions at the season 7 reunion that were well received? Trixie's just amazing at impressions in general, so I wouldn't be worried.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Her Ru is lit af, I can see it going over really well. Snatch Game is Trixie's last chance to pull off a win imho before it starts to look dicey for her chances. She's been doing well, but after a while safe gets worse than bottom three-- at least if you're in the bottom you can hear what the judges think need improving.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
It's definitely Trixie's challenge to win. In addition to only being safe so far, there's a lot of pressure on her since comedy's supposed to be her strength and she never got to do Snatch Game on her season. I'm calling it now, that'll be her story arc next episode.

For lolz, I hope she somehow gets unjustly eliminated, then returns to steal the crown.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Pellisworth posted:

fyi Snatch Game picks:

Trixie - RuPaul
ChiChi - Maya Angelou
Ben - Paul Lynde

I dunno Ben, you can probably pull that off but it's a questionable choice imo.

God drat it Ben, you're trying so hard to win my heart. I LOVE that person.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

CaptainScraps posted:

God drat it Ben, you're trying so hard to win my heart. I LOVE that person.

It's a fun choice and Ben will probably do it well, but I'm a bit worried about picking male Snatch Game characters, even campy flamboyant ones. Seems like an unnecessary gamble when Ben could kill it with most any character.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I gay gasped on the El when I heard Ben's choice

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

somnambulist posted:

Holy poo poo LOL

the FB link seemed to be taken down, so here's the VH1 link if anyone wants it

http://www.vh1.com/news/348687/rupauls-drag-race-all-stars-snatch-game/

wow ben was gonna get rid of chi chi and defends her choice pretty soundly. kennedy's decision has minor ripples but god drat i am enjoying some of the added tension from people playing who they want to go

WOW thorgy still coming across as a bitter sourpuss two episodes on. looking forward to the shangela / trixie showdown.

also this morning i realised i say "HELLO HELLO HELLO" to my pet cats whenever they come into the room. ru is invading my lexicon in some strange ways.

alf_pogs fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Feb 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

alf_pogs posted:

also this morning i realised i say "HELLO HELLO HELLO" to my pet cats whenever they come into the room. ru is invading my lexicon in some strange ways.

Hahahaha.

The edits to make the queens seem OVERLY excited at every thing Ru says makes me laugh every single time. I imagine your cats doing this, and then ignoring you completely once you feed them :3:

• Locked thread