Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Krazyface posted:

I own Dark Souls: Scholar of the First Sin. Is this the definitive one? What's the situation?

It solves some of the mob layout problems of the vanilla game while introducing others, in addition to making a number of progression and equipment changes. It's more or less a better version of the game, and you're not missing anything by not playing vanilla first/instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Somebody should make a Dark Souls game but like, a less combat-oriented one where every single thing isn't trying to kill you. Like maybe every 5 minutes you come across something that wants to kill you, and the rest of your time is spent just exploring the environment taking screenshots.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

pokemon snap

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Xaris posted:

I have zero interest in DoW3 despite liking 1 and 2.

All three DoW games were remarkably different - like more different than you'd expect three games in the same series to be.

DoW1 is pretty much a standard RTS, but with a cover system that was unusually detailed for the time, and absolutely stellar voice acting. No joke, I think vanilla DoW1 has the best voice acting of any game.

DoW2 as I played it was a two-player co-op RPG thing. One of the DLCs tried to bring it back to a squad-building RTS but I didn't love that one. They kind-of improved on the cover system from DoW1 - there was way more detail to it, like you could hide behind a wall rather than just in a "cover zone", but lots of units would just break the cover when they tried to use it.

DoW3 was just terrible. Everything felt simplified - we were back to "cover zones", with the addition of "stealth zones", which were pre-placed in the level design (while in other games you could take cover in shell holes and such like), and doing well in combat seemed to entirely hinge on using the cool-downs of your units as soon as possible. I got a few missions into it (last straw was a tremendously unfunny "funny" ork mission) and dumped it. Luckily I didn't buy it, I was just playing a shared copy.

Orv
May 4, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpKN-U1-bWk

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Is it worth playing Demon Souls? Never played any of the Dark Souls series (for more than an hour) so is it worth starting with the first one?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Xander77 posted:

Is it worth playing Demon Souls? Never played any of the Dark Souls series (for more than an hour) so is it worth starting with the first one?

Honestly it might remain the series best entry point. Demon's still has some very cool bosses and some very cool areas. At the same time it's very obvious that nine years later as of last Tuesday (fuuuuuuuuuuuck time), the games have gotten better and more playable since. The disconnected, sort of self-difficulty gated nature of the game is one of its strongest points, and the MP servers are, finally, slated to go down on the 28th of this month, so I'd do it now, if ever.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Start with King's Field or bust.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Demons owns, I'd recommend playing it first because all the games make mechanical and QoL improvements that make them annoying to play out of order. It's a rough game but really fun, memorable and experimental, it's cool to see a Souls game before the formula was really a thing

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Don't forget Evergrace. Just don't.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Gort posted:

No joke, I think vanilla DoW1 has the best voice acting of any game.
Base DoW1 lacks the Guardsmen. And more importantly, the Commissars. And the Psykers. And the Priests. And those drat Tech Priests. :colbert:

:agreed: tho that those games are a masterpiece in voice acting no matter how you slice it.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Palpek posted:

drat right, OG 1994 Moonlight Sword or nothing.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Demons owns, I'd recommend playing it first because all the games make mechanical and QoL improvements that make them annoying to play out of order. It's a rough game but really fun, memorable and experimental, it's cool to see a Souls game before the formula was really a thing
It’s dang ridiculous I still can’t play Demon’s Souls or MGS4.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

otoh Demon's Souls is pretty janky and old. Still owns, but I wouldn't recommend playing it first since it might just turn you off the whole series :v: If you play the other Souls games first and enjoy them, then you might be able to look past the jank and missing QOL and enjoy DeS more. Maybe that's just me though.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Palpek posted:

gently caress yeah, though king’s field is more about exploration and dark souls is more about combat and dying

Man I really want another King’s field

SelenicMartian posted:

Don't forget Evergrace. Just don't.

Is that the ring game? That one owned

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

HGH posted:

I like to compare Iconoclasts' pacing to Metroid Fusion's. Some open areas and backtracking but mostly railroaded by plot.
The store page specifically mentions Metroid Fusion as an inspiration, actually.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK
During xmas sale I picked up Dead Cells

I wasn't really a fan of rogue lites or anything before this game. What I got with this game is a very smooth polished combat. A lot of features that keep me coming back for more and over all a new genre I will try more games in.

If you haven't gotten a chance to play it you should. Its very polished and is very close to being complete.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Samuringa posted:

This looks interesting: Lobotomy Corporation is a management sim where you're in charge of an SCP-like institute. I don't like buying Early Access games but they've been making steady updates and a full release will most likely come out in the next few months.

The concept is great - RTS running the SCP labs and trying to keep horrifying monsters locked away for the safety of humanity/profit - but it's really hard to actually get in to. There's no real tutorial, only a giant in-game guide, and it's all terribly translated so that it's practically illegible. So it's trying to be an XCOM/They Are Billions cascade failure situation where one bad decision can wipe out everything, but what's going on is so poorly explained that it's hard to feel anything but confusion over what's going on.

Also, yes, the cutscenes are anime as all hell, and just as poorly translated.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
have you played it recently? it seems someone did a pass over the translation because the only textual problems I had was that I didn't yet understand all the in-universe jargon, and some of the UI is written in Flyspeck 3 because lol unity scales text to fit and english is longer than korean.

other than the UI readability issue, the other two problems I had that might be worth mentioning are

- you need to click on the mostly blank screen before the main menu appears
- the game defaults to korean on first start, but changing it to english was easy enough

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Artelier posted:

Has anyone in here played Dandara? For those that don't know, it's a mouse/analog stick platformer where you can't walk/run; instead, you dash from platform to platform.

It looks like a fun, unique Metroidvania, but I have two big concerns: there seems to be no map, and on top of that, sometimes the level seems to switch orientations randomly, so remembering paths seems like an even bigger pain than usual (can turn this off?).

I've been playing Dandara (buy local). I don't think you can turn off the random orientation thing. The game tries to give you some bearings when you enter a new room, it's always gonna face the direction it follows on the map. Yeah, there are maps.

It gets quite hard on the second half, BTW.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Is Salt any good? The sailing and pirates explore and build poo poo game. I noticed it just left EA.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Your Computer posted:

otoh Demon's Souls is pretty janky and old. Still owns, but I wouldn't recommend playing it first since it might just turn you off the whole series :v: If you play the other Souls games first and enjoy them, then you might be able to look past the jank and missing QOL and enjoy DeS more. Maybe that's just me though.

I remember buying Dark Souls, getting to Lordran and not seeing the stairs to the aqueduct (hello skeleton town). I sold the game, bought Demon Souls, loving loved it, then went back to Dark Souls and loved it even more. Weird.

Also important to note just HOW MANY mods are coming out these days - people have managed to do some basic scripts like "no estus and you suffer from the Calamity Ring effect until you defeat Kalameet", "all items are randomized" and I think people managed to randomize vendor inventories for DkS1???

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Your Computer posted:

I played demon's after dark souls 1 and it was fine, to be honest I think the game's weird experimental but ultimately dumb stuff like world tendency and character tendency will have aged exactly as badly whether it's your first game or you've played the others already. But maybe I'd think differently if I went back to it after playing 2 and 3.

The graphics will definitely be a step down while the atmosphere is one of the best parts of the game, so it's true that maybe the best way to experience that is not to play three games with better graphics right before it

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
The graphics at actually pretty good even for 2018 but due to console limitations it’s impossible to see. This is from seeing some of the 4K shots that someone took while playing it in the emulator.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Zetsubou-san posted:

have you played it recently? it seems someone did a pass over the translation because the only textual problems I had was that I didn't yet understand all the in-universe jargon, and some of the UI is written in Flyspeck 3 because lol unity scales text to fit and english is longer than korean.

other than the UI readability issue, the other two problems I had that might be worth mentioning are

- you need to click on the mostly blank screen before the main menu appears
- the game defaults to korean on first start, but changing it to english was easy enough

Their roadmao also says from now until the release in march the focus is going to be on improving stuff and making a proper tutorial, so it might be more accessible in a month or so.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Looks like another round of Make War Not Love is on, but the website is currently hosed so who knows what's what. :goleft: Sales are up for the usual Sega-published suspects, including DoW 3 lol, but no DLC.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

0. Tiny Barbarian DX
1. Shank 2
2. Odallus: The Dark Call
3. Stealth Inc 2: A Game of Clones
4. Squishy the Suicidal Pig
5. Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition
6. Vessel
7. Owlboy
8. NOT A HERO
9. Castle of Illusion
10. Flinthook
11. Crab Dub

12. Omegaland

There are some games that are hard to talk about in a review, because they go to great lengths to hide what they really are. From eversion to Doki Doki Literature Club, these titles are best experienced personally for their twists to have the greatest effect. Reviewing them is a struggle, but luckily Omegaland isn’t too hard to explain without dropping the great secret that lurks within. It’s a quality platformer, hearkening back to the golden age of such simple pleasures, and when it shows its hand the game only becomes deeper and more engrossing for it.

You are Pat, a running, jumping, helping soul residing in the picturesque Flower Kingdom. Princess Omega has been locked out of her castle, and it’s up to you to locate the keys scattered across the land. There are plenty of enemies to bop and pits to hop, along with coins to collect along the way, of course. Those coins aren’t just for score, either, as they can be used to buy new upgrades and powers to help you get around. You’ll find a fair number of residents more than happy to share little snippets of their lives with you, too. And let’s not forget a few collectibles scattered about in the form of tasty foodstuffs with auspicious names.

Omegaland is very clearly a send-up of the classic Mario titles, all the way down to breaking blocks for invincibility stars. Almost all of your foes can be stomped into submission, and beyond them are the ubiquitous spikes and bottomless pits to avoid. You start out only being able to take one hit but can upgrade your life to take more. The only twists the early levels will have are gates that require keys to pass, but aside from that you’ll be running, jumping, and collecting coins the same as you ever were. You also get a Super Mario World-style overworld to wander, complete with signposts to read but not much else to do, at least at first.

Once all the keys are found and Princess Omega has the run of her castle again, A Thing will happen and the game will shift into its second act. While the gameplay itself doesn’t fundamentally change the depth of it does, with more to accomplish while you’re out and about and more to do with your hard-earned coins. The tone is also going to take a major shift, not into full horror like you’re probably expecting but something far more interesting and meaningful. You’ll spend the bulk of your time in this act, working towards a final climax that leads into a surprisingly open and lengthy endgame sequence.

It’s a good twist to be sure, and it kept me hooked on the game clear through to the end, but it wasn’t quite as poignant as I was expecting from Jonas Kyratzes. Part of it might be how NPCs only speak to you in quick snippets, preventing any sort of direct plot expansion from the dialog. There’s definitely a story here but one without a central narrative to follow, told more from the actual flow of the game and hints in the environments than plot lines. The Sea Will Claim Everything certainly had its share of subtext analysis to do to glean real messages but it’s more of a challenge here, and I honestly can’t say I grok the full depth of what Omegaland is saying. I was also thrown off a bit in how it doesn’t have a proper ending in the traditional sense, and while I’m still pleased with the conclusion it might be something to prepare yourself for.

Seeing the ending is totally worth the effort, of course, because Omegaland is much more than its twist. The platforming is responsive and solid, and the game gives you plenty of creative and wide-open levels to practice your running and jumping in. You’ll get a good four or five hours out of this one, and aside from a bit of a power gap in the beginning of the second act the difficulty curve is nice and smooth. I’m not in love with Omegaland like I am with The Sea Will Claim Everything but it remains a quality title. It’s just that the quality is more in the gameplay than the narrative, and the world can always use more good platformers.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
Well, given that Omegaland is $3, I'll probably give it a whirl when next I need a platforming fix. Are you going to do Eversion as another 'twist' platformer? That one's old enough that it may not be so relevant now. I still love the first level music though.

Also is Creepy Castle in the queue? I've been playing with that one and struggling somewhat with the size of the game versus your map resources but it definitely has some interesting concepts in it. I don't know if it strictly qualifies as a platformer either, it's got a lot of RPG elements.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Just wanted to pop in and say that Sargocentron is good people and free games are always much appreciated, especially when they're on my wishlist.

Also I thought I already owned two of them despite having them on my wishlist. That's Steam!

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

occamsnailfile posted:

Well, given that Omegaland is $3, I'll probably give it a whirl when next I need a platforming fix. Are you going to do Eversion as another 'twist' platformer? That one's old enough that it may not be so relevant now. I still love the first level music though.

Also is Creepy Castle in the queue? I've been playing with that one and struggling somewhat with the size of the game versus your map resources but it definitely has some interesting concepts in it. I don't know if it strictly qualifies as a platformer either, it's got a lot of RPG elements.

I did eversion last Platformebruary, but as you can imaging I can't say a whole lot about it. As far as I'm concerned it still holds up, though. Creepy Castle's not on my list this year but I'll keep it in mind for the future!

I'll link my current Weeklong Deal roundup but they've only got one game discounted I would recommend, and it's Golden Krone Hotel. That should save you a click right there, which maybe you can spend looking through the rest of the deals because they do have all the Might and Magic games and some other neat-looking platformers on sale.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
I gave Omegaland a shot, but I couldn't get past the lack of controller support or the framerate seemingly being capped at 50fps, both of which are inexcusable in this genre, IMO. Shame, as it seemed intriguing.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
framerate is easily the least important thing about any game

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Venuz Patrol posted:

I wish you posted this in the fighting games thread

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Venuz Patrol posted:

Yeah I play games at 15fps.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Venuz Patrol posted:

Nah, that absolutely depends on the game and how high or low a frame rate you're talking about, also how consistent it is.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Venuz Patrol posted:

this take is so hot you might say it's steaming

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Imagine a game where your current framerate was equal to your health. Worst loving game

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Venuz Patrol posted:

what have you done

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I think I have enough garbage cards to sell and buy Omegaland, I'll give it a try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

John Murdoch posted:

Looks like another round of Make War Not Love is on, but the website is currently hosed so who knows what's what. :goleft: Sales are up for the usual Sega-published suspects, including DoW 3 lol, but no DLC.

Reward List:

Register:

The Revenge of Shinobi
Streets of Rage 2

Day 1:

Total War: WARHAMMER II - The Grim and the Grave
Total War: WARHAMMER - The Grim and the Grave
Viking: Battle for Asgard

Day 2:

Company of Heroes 2 - Victory at Stalingrad Mission Pack
Binary Domain

Day 3: