Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
if you’re writing c or c++ and you don’t know how to do basic singly linked list operations then you are not capable of doing your job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

C maybe, but for C++ personally I care more about whether they they can code without causing memory leaks, whether they know how to debug properly, and whether they can effectively utilize c++11 features. I'm honestly not sure what I'd be looking for by asking them to do something they're never going to need to do on the job.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
if you're writing C or C++ and don't use a suitable list library that your framework provides then you're masturbating on company time

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Gazpacho posted:

then you're masturbating on company time
Sounds good to me.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Management posted:

if you’re writing c or c++ and you don’t know how to do basic singly linked list operations then you are not capable of doing your job.

#include <forward_list>

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I'm guessing if your company is kinda big on C++ they probably already have their own bespoke artisanal library with a linked list implementation in there

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
c++ and its standard library are godawful

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Symbolic Butt posted:

I'm guessing if your company is kinda big on C++ they probably already have their own bespoke artisanal library with a linked list implementation in there

My old company had this but only because their codebase is older than the STL

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Sapozhnik posted:

c++ and its standard library are godawful

Elaborate

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

qhat posted:

Elaborate

https://www.google.com/search?q=why+is+c%2B%2B+bad

plenty of detail is available in the TP thread and the PL thread

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Oh wow yeah stunning arguments from the Google search results. My counter point then: c++ and its standard library is actually fine.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

in most cases you are better off with an array anyways since traversing a linked list ends up being O(n) cache misses

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

The_Franz posted:

in most cases you are better off with an array anyways since traversing a linked list ends up being O(n) cache misses

Fact

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Sapozhnik posted:

tbf reversing a singly-linked list in place is a useful part of a lock-free queue

please dont diy lock-free data structures

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Progressive JPEG posted:

please dont diy lock-free data structures

I cannot stress this enough

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
they're really not lol. they have a lot of inertia, that doesn't make them in any way good.

c++ wasn't designed, it was congealed. features were added haphazardly, then they interacted in unforeseen ways, then those unexpected interactions were resolved by piling more poo poo on top of the existing poo poo. a fairly fundamental misfeature is the fact that you have manual memory management and unconstrained exceptions in the same language making it very difficult to reason about an application's resource management and error paths. no, raii and smart pointers are not a magic bullet here.

the standard library is a special kind of awful. it did recently get directory traversal and threading but it still doesn't do sockets. the goddamn string type is worthless because it isn't aware of unicode or character encodings in any useful way. oh, there's std::wstring, which consists of wchar_t elements. ok, what is a wchar_t? it's a 4-byte integer on unix and a 2-byte integer on windows. did you just tell me to go gently caress myself? string formatting is horribly verbose and un-internationalizable and littered with poo poo syntax gimmicks. "oh good, i'm glad my standard string type is a generic type parameterized on what integer type is incorrectly used to store its characters", said nobody ever. containers all take an idiotic "allocator" type parameter because "what if you want to make a container type specialization that allocates shared memory!".

the stdlib just has the most bizarre and worthless mis-features that nobody could ever possibly want and critical deficiencies in the sorts of things people actually do want, like the ability to serialize and deserialize utf-8 text, or format text, or do multiplexed io, or interact with that new fangled "internet" thing in any way whatsoever.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

The Management posted:

agreed, but this particular case is something i'm just doing for shits and giggles.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Management posted:

then stop putting it in interviews

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm reading the 'cracking the coding interview" book just now, very slowly

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Valeyard posted:

I'm reading the 'cracking the coding interview" book just now, very slowly

it still makes me sad there's a whole cottage industry around this stuff

well beyond cottage now, that stuff has venture funding anymore as they're blurring the lines between help guides and practice sites and hiring boards

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I can agree that the fact the stdlib doesn't have a unicode string class in 2018 is a scandal and the standards committee should be lined up against a wall for it.

Manual memory management isn't really a criticism of the language, just like it's not a criticism of C, it's just an inherent fact. The only people who complain about this are worthless p/j-langers who can't for the life of them understand how there are valid use cases for loving around exactly with how memory is managed on the most fundamental level of the program. C++ attempts to appeal to the widest variety of programmers, from driver implementations to higher level high performance algorithms. It's not a perfect language by any means, but it still has a level of practicality that no other language on the planet has come close to replicating.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

hobbesmaster posted:

then stop putting it in interviews

I would never ask anyone to implement a lock free algorithm in an interview because I would never be able to hire anyone.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

i assume you ask them that so you have a not illegal reason for only hiring white male stanford grads

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

The Management posted:

I would never ask anyone to implement a lock free algorithm in an interview because I would never be able to hire anyone.

Seriously. Everyone I've interviewed so far struggled just to do a basic dfs, you'd be crazy to ask something like that unless you're hiring for something very specific and difficult.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

hobbesmaster posted:

i assume you ask them that so you have a not illegal reason for only hiring white male stanford grads

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

hobbesmaster posted:

I’d never hire a Stanford grad

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

that’s nice, I’ve literally been asked to implement lock free data structures like that at an interview

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

i've only worked with one stanford grad in my career so far he was very sure to let everyone know how he was from stanford and was also easily in the bottom 10% in skill amongst everyone i've worked with

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Rex-Goliath posted:

i've only worked with one stanford grad in my career so far he was very sure to let everyone know how he was from stanford and was also easily in the bottom 10% in skill amongst everyone i've worked with

Except for the only skill that mattered: reminding people of being from Stanford (which is also beaconing).

:shrug:

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Rex-Goliath posted:

Shocking. It's like there's no correlation between academic performance and industry competence.

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

That's just a bullshit word.

qhat posted:

Shocking. It's like there's no correlation between academic performance and industry competence.

i have an abet accredited degree in Good Posting and could not agree with u more on this

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
cool anecdote. wow!

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

asking someone to implement a lock free queue in an interview could be interesting because it can be interesting to see how somebody flails in a high-pressure situation where they know they are going to fail

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Bloody posted:

asking someone to implement a lock free queue in an interview could be interesting because it can be interesting to see how somebody flails in a high-pressure situation where they know they are going to fail

It turned out that the real Kobayashi Maru was the friends we made along the way!

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Bloody posted:

that’s just being an rear end in a top hat.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Bloody posted:

“i don’t know what that is”

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

getting owned by online applications that want a minimum number of references. I've stopped talking to almost everyone this past year and have no personal references (who are also professional). I don't have any contact info for any of supervisors from before my last job but it isn't like you'd remember some no-name kid from ~5 years ago anyway

r i p

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

Poniard posted:

I've stopped talking to almost everyone this past year and have no personal references (who are also professional). I don't have any contact info for any of supervisors from before my last job but it isn't like you'd remember some no-name kid from ~5 years ago anyway

r i p

:same:

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Poniard posted:

getting owned by online applications that want a minimum number of references. I've stopped talking to almost everyone this past year and have no personal references (who are also professional). I don't have any contact info for any of supervisors from before my last job but it isn't like you'd remember some no-name kid from ~5 years ago anyway

r i p

nonono don't worry about this at all, just send an e-mail to your old boss/company and tell them that you need past references and ask them to provide some e-mail or phone number

if you are slightly braver, just go through your old companies' websites and provide their public contact information

do not worry about this at all, it is industry standard practice*

* - maybe worry if you are an rear end in a top hat who hosed up badly at a past job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

keep your old offer letters. i needed to get employment verification letters from all the places id worked for the last 10 years for a visa application, and thank god all the companies in question were still in existence, otherwise it'd have been a lot harder to show that

doesnt hurt to keep your old employee reviews around either, assuming you can get them in some written form. ive found a good strat is to grab a couple quotes from those and put em on my resume