Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

spankmeister posted:

What's 16gb and 512gb in this day and age anyway? Pretty standard stuff imo.

It's about $2600 from PC Connection with a dock.

Really that spec isn't very high, I agree. I guess we will replace that with something like a quad-core T480 in the next few months, probably saving $500-$800?

We used to use a T520 or something which saves quite a few bucks over a full workstation like a W or P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

The Iron Rose posted:

yeah i'm 100% okay with giving finance and accounting overpowered laptops so they can brute force their way through pivot tables rather than calling us in

Our guys export 300,000 rows from our database and then do queries and poo poo on it in Excel. I get it, you know how to work with it, but guess what you can do the same thing in seconds if you just use the drat database.

Part of this to blame is the owner of the company made two of our accounting people 'data analysts' and they spend all their time trying to find places to save very small sums of money, create redundant data, blah blah. Useless.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I'm listening to my boss do a phone interview at his desk, and, uh, this is super painful to listen to.

On one side, we have a non-technical person reading technical questions off a piece of paper and not understanding what he's asking.

On the other side, we have an interviewee who's applying for a network position and doesn't know what ARP is.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Just a reminder that desktop and laptop processors are very different. i3 desktops are perfectly functional, i3 laptops are best used as doorstops.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Hell my own work machine is a desktop with a i5-3450, 8GB and 120GB SSD. The laptop I have (that I don't really use much) in an ancient HP Probook with i5-2400. Our upgrade cycle is "is it still working? Yes?, then it doesn't need replaced".

I am switching to a modern laptop soon though.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

redeyes posted:

Speaking of that, companies that buy laptops instead of proper workstations. RAGE

While I am personally a fan of having a desktop, I get why laptops are the default option now. I guess my environments also have resources available to do the heavy lifting for things you need a desktop for.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Renegret posted:

On the other side, we have an interviewee who's applying for a network position and doesn't know what ARP is.

Sound a small dog makes when he doesn't know where to go?

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Renegret posted:

Ancient Routing Protocol?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Siochain posted:

Sound a small dog makes when he doesn't know where to go?

correct

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

Renegret posted:

Pretty sure that's the club for old people.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Bob Morales posted:

"Why are emails being delayed? <whoever> sent me an email at 8:47 and it just came in at 9:07a."

:derp:

Should I reply with:

"Rackspace is looking into it"

This, always this.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Our standard laptop is either an i5 with 8gb ram and 256gb ssd or an i7 with 16gb and 512gb ssd.

The main deciding factor is whether or not your title is three letters starting with a C.

Or if you're the one doing the ordering.

This i7 elitebook 840 is really nice.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Alighieri posted:

No poo poo, I received an AARP birthday card the day before my 50th birthday. No one escapes their attention.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

"Why are emails being delayed? <whoever> sent me an email at 8:47 and it just came in at 9:07a."

:derp:

Should I reply with:

"It's not called instant messenger"

"Your fat rear end didn't even get to work until 8:52"

"Rackspace is looking into it"

The pigeon died from overwork.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Renegret posted:

You mean like Diablo or Torchlight?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

PremiumSupport posted:

Ancient Routing Protocol?

no that's RIP

Malek posted:

You mean like Diablo or Torchlight?

no that's JRPG

Alighieri posted:

no I can't come up with a good joke for this one

uh...freemasons?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Renegret posted:

uh...freemasons?

somethingawful.com user forums

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

The Fool posted:

somethingawful.com user forums

you fool :argh:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I'd have just gone with GOP :shrug:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The Fool posted:

This i7 elitebook 840 is really nice.

840 G5's ship this week.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

quote:

the password I use on my usual computer does not work on this one.

:wtc:

mewse
May 2, 2006

Don't try to explain it to me, just fix it

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

mewse posted:

Don't try to explain it to me, just fix it

<throws iPad Pro for emphasis>

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Not domain connected or wrong username.

How people gently caress up username I don't know, but they sure do it often.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

ilkhan posted:

Not domain connected or wrong username.

How people gently caress up username I don't know, but they sure do it often.

It's for a web app, so it's 100% not the domain thing. I'm standing far to the edge of this one. It's squarely on my co-worker, who is valiantly trying to figure out what's up.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Avenging_Mikon posted:

It's for a web app, so it's 100% not the domain thing. I'm standing far to the edge of this one. It's squarely on my co-worker, who is valiantly trying to figure out what's up.

caps lock

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer

Maybe the usual bad password is not accepted by the password policy?

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Or num lock lol

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

SCROLL LOCK

Wiggly
Aug 26, 2000

Number one on the ice, number one in my heart
Fun Shoe

stevewm posted:

SSD at the least is standard though

My dream job. Boss still buys hard drives. :emo:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Or num lock lol

If the user is on a laptop, this is an A+ guess.

Nothing like typing jkl and getting 123.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Renegret posted:

no that's RIP

no that's JRPG

uh...freemasons?

The LDS?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Our baseline laptop is the Elitebook 840 G4 with 16G of RAM :homebrew:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I do like the 840's. Still using the side dock instead the poo poo USB3 or Thunderbolt docks.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
I feel like anything with less than 8GB of RAM and an i5 doesn't really have any business running Windows 10. I feel like if your employee isn't worth at least that, then why are they your employee?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Thanatosian posted:

I feel like anything with less than 8GB of RAM and an i5 doesn't really have any business running Windows 10. I feel like if your employee isn't worth at least that, then why are they your employee?
You have somewhat higher expectations of your employer's regard for you than I've come to expect.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I've put Windows 10 on a laptop with 4 gigs of RAM and a Core Duo. It surprisingly scales down quite well.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

GreenNight posted:

I've put Windows 10 on a laptop with 4 gigs of RAM and a Core Duo. It surprisingly scales down quite well.

Core 2 Quad and 8Gb here. Works well enough, and I can play Overwatch and Destiny 2 quite playably...

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Samizdata posted:

Core 2 Quad and 8Gb here. Works well enough, and I can play Overwatch and Destiny 2 quite playably...

C2Qs are still solid workhorses. C2Ds...not so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

dragonshardz posted:

C2Qs are still solid workhorses. C2Ds...not so much.

All I can say (even before my rebuild) is that this old girl must have been a bit of a god box back in '08.