Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

You mean a position like being an expert the most important person on the planet regularly asks about swords?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
makes sense he would track cultivation down as the best choice to have nightblood. too bad

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Anyway, my expectation is that the "Unite them" voice is actually Cultivation, who knows, thanks to her being good at foresight, that she's going to get shattered. It isn't a commandment to put Honor's shard back together, rather it's the command to put honor's and cultivation's splinters together into a whole new, combined, shard

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
I've been thinking about Cultivation...

The Nightwatcher had Nightblood available to offer to Dalinar a few years back. It could be that Vasher sought out the Nightwatcher to gain the ability to live off Stormlight, and the price was his Awakened sword. A godspren is a pretty good place to stash it if you're voluntarily giving it up. How Nale got ahold of it, is another question...

The alternative is that Vasher arrived here through Cultivation's perpendicularity, which gave her awareness of Nightblood's existence, but then got involuntarily separated from NB somehow. Given how NB works (kills people dead if the would-be thief has an "evil" nature) this is actually harder than it sounds on the surface.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

NecroMonster posted:

Anyway, my expectation is that the "Unite them" voice is actually Cultivation, who knows, thanks to her being good at foresight, that she's going to get shattered. It isn't a commandment to put Honor's shard back together, rather it's the command to put honor's and cultivation's splinters together into a whole new, combined, shard

Kinky :heysexy:

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

spootime posted:

I agree with you guys on the previous page - I sure do hope there's a different reason for the recreance. I don't buy the whole ancestors committing a crime thing as a valid reason to essentially kill your bonded life partner. Hopefully he has a better reason or I'm going to be massively disappointed.

I also agree that he's given away too much of the mystery too early. What don't we really understand about the cosmere at this point? The shattering itself? Everything else seems to have been already answered or heavily hinted at through WoB's.

Interesting point. I suppose that Harmony is already a combination that has never existed before. What makes you think that Adonalsium reconstituting isn't the end game of this universe?

Weren't they also explicitly told they would destroy Roshar just like they did their original world?

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
At some point a Vasher needs to talk with Dalinar they can commiserate about being regret filled former conquerers who killed their first lovers

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I compare it to America we wiped out the Native Americans and for the most part do not care, we are destroying the world with climate change and we won't do anything about it really because of rich peoples profits let alone killing basically best friend and dooming them to an endless torture.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

spootime posted:

I also agree that he's given away too much of the mystery too early. What don't we really understand about the cosmere at this point? The shattering itself? Everything else seems to have been already answered or heavily hinted at through WoB's.

It's hard to say, because we don't know what we don't know. I'm a little bummed myself, but I'm holding onto some hope that there's a lot more to come.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

socialsecurity posted:

I compare it to America we wiped out the Native Americans and for the most part do not care, we are destroying the world with climate change and we won't do anything about it really because of rich peoples profits let alone killing basically best friend and dooming them to an endless torture.

It’s more like a bunch of ecoterrorists giving up if it turns out global warming is a lie. I agree regular people wouldn’t care but knight radiants with their oaths are a special case - might even be that knowing they are the conquerors but keep fighting would have been a breach regardless.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Also keep in mind that it isn't just discovering the info, it's having God in a half-mad, dying raving confirm that yes, you're the problem and it's your fault.

Compare to the present time where god's already dead and the apocalypse has already started and there are far fewer Radiants to offer considered viewpoints--it's still troubling, but without a divine "j'accuse" and a more imminent existential threat they can afford to shrug it off far easier.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Avalerion posted:

It’s more like a bunch of ecoterrorists giving up if it turns out global warming is a lie. I agree regular people wouldn’t care but knight radiants with their oaths are a special case - might even be that knowing they are the conquerors but keep fighting would have been a breach regardless.

If that was the case it would still be true and none of these new knights would be able to function or get very far in their oaths.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Modest Mouse cover band posted:

It's hard to say, because we don't know what we don't know. I'm a little bummed myself, but I'm holding onto some hope that there's a lot more to come.

Journey before destination. :colbert:

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

Evil Fluffy posted:

Journey before destination. :colbert:

Eh, gently caress that. When’s the last time Sanderson tipped his hand?

Yeah, he’s thinking of this as his magnum opus, it seems, and that’s led lots of more-talented people to failure—but I’m going with the 1.000 batting average.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Hell we don't even know all 16 shards, we only know the barest hint of the extent of surgebinding let alone voidbinding, dawn shards, the old magic and a possible whole extra Roshan magic system. We don't know how Honor was killed and shattered we don't know how Odium was bound to the Roshan system or how the oathpact itself worked or what was the true cost of the heralds breaking it.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Then there's what we know that could be lies, myths and misinformation.

Such as the Unmade and Cultivation.

I don't think Odium was out to pull legs with his warning about Cultivation. None of the shards so far are entirely on the side of "good times had by all", although given the choice between the two? Cultivation might be alittle less immediately lethal if you're in her sights.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jan 27, 2018

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Thyrork posted:

Then there's what we know that could be lies, myths and misinformation.

Such as the Unmade and Cultivation.

I don't think Odium was out to pull legs with his warning about Cultivation. None of the shards so far are entirely on the side of "good times had by all", although given the choice between the two? Cultivation might be alittle less immediately lethal if you're in her sights.

on this note, we've seen Hoid directly tell us he'd let the whole world burn to satisfy his grudge against Odium. given Cultivation's 'pruning' ethos, she probably wouldn't be adverse to it either - as long as some people come out stronger in the end. I bet we're going to see some alliances between those two and some bad folks that create a lot of moral confusion.

Vladora
Apr 21, 2010
The Kaladin album is available on Spotify/Amazon/iTunes/Google Play:

https://open.spotify.com/album/1Rg6jC3HxOC3B9Xz7QOELC?si=NIUA-PNxRier6fY9nOZBZA

I listened to it while painting today and liked it pretty well.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Vladora posted:

The Kaladin album is available on Spotify/Amazon/iTunes/Google Play:

https://open.spotify.com/album/1Rg6jC3HxOC3B9Xz7QOELC?si=NIUA-PNxRier6fY9nOZBZA

I listened to it while painting today and liked it pretty well.

Listening to this is a strange experience for me. I've never listened to an album based on a book, I occasionally hear bits and I'm like 'I wonder if the composer was thinking of this particular bit in the book at this part?'

jebrown84
Aug 27, 2005

Help me Johnny Boy you're my only hope.

ekeog posted:

on this note, we've seen Hoid directly tell us he'd let the whole world burn to satisfy his grudge against Odium. given Cultivation's 'pruning' ethos, she probably wouldn't be adverse to it either - as long as some people come out stronger in the end. I bet we're going to see some alliances between those two and some bad folks that create a lot of moral confusion.

He says he will watch the world burn to get what he needs. Not because of his grudge. Of course his need could be his grudge but I didn't take it that way.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
I’ve missed a few dozen pages. Have we started speculating how Eshonai will be POV in the next book? Personal thought is that we will get her turning into a Voidbringer and end up bonding her sister.

Or maybe she will be the first Voidbringer to bond a Radiant (Dalinar). “Unite them.”

Either way, I’m betting on some Voidbringer perspective in the book.

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Feb 5, 2018

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Lawlicaust posted:

I’ve missed a few dozen pages. Have we started speculating how Eshonai will be POV in the next book? Personal thought is that we will get her turning into a Voidbringer and end up bonding her sister.

Or maybe she will be the first Voidbringer to bond a Radiant (Dalinar). “Unite them.”

She'll be a flashback character. That's all.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Yeah, the POV (present) will be Venli, with Eshonai flashbacks.

And given that Venli has 2 spren bonds going on, you're not wrong!

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Lawlicaust posted:

Renarin is a viewpoint character, so...

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Glys is a corrupted Truthwatcher spren, not a voidspren so Renarin isn't really a Voidbringer, he just has access to what looks like the Voidbinding version of Illumination.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Renarin might be the character whose story I'm most looking forward to hearing. He seems like such a broken person, but he somehow keeps pushing himself. The journey he and Glys are going through together is heart wrenching and sweet. Neither has a clue what's happening to them, but above anything else they seem to have each other's back.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Potato Salad posted:

Renarin might be the character whose story I'm most looking forward to hearing. He seems like such a broken person, but he somehow keeps pushing himself. The journey he and Glys are going through together is heart wrenching and sweet. Neither has a clue what's happening to them, but above anything else they seem to have each other's back.

And Renarin does seem to want to do good things for people, so maybe a corrupted spren isn't all bad.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I get the sense that it's hybrid spren and access to voidbinding that will give Radiant Knight Orders 2.0 more balanced outlooks and powerful toolkits.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Potato Salad posted:

I know I'll enjoy the plot points and worldbuilding surrounding it, but I'm just hoping Sanderson writes the perspective well. I like that he's writing mentally ill characters, but I don't know that he's figured out how to do it in a way that isn't resorting to caricature/stereotyping. He struggled with the more nuanced perspectives in this last book and I'm worried he'll struggle with Renarin as well.

I just don't want another interesting-seeming character from the outside to be a let down once we get inside their head.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

He did a good job with Kaladin's depression but Shallan's dissociative fugue didn't seem that believable to me.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
It’s also because dissociative identity disorder or multiple personality disorder is almost unheard of, with most cases in popular media and fiction being overly stylized, often to the point of being farcical. I kind of liked Sanderson’s depiction as being closer to “method actor get way too into her role” rather than the trope of other personalities clashing and acting like “possessors”. I hope he never writes a plot where Shallan can’t remember something she did while acting out one of her other personas.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
I have Shallan a pass because *magic* but yeah if he starts following the personalities fighting trope imma be real disappointed.

Finally rereading Mistborn and it’s so satisfying knowing what’s actually going on

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I think the move now is toward Shallan slowly learning to cope and accepting her personality rather than trying to section it off into different acts. Wouldn't be character growth otherwise.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Aggro posted:

I kind of liked Sanderson’s depiction as being closer to “method actor get way too into her role” rather than the trope of other personalities clashing and acting like “possessors”.

Same.

Add onto this the fact that prolonged use of investiture changes the body and soul, and for soulcasters like Vorin Ardents or Lightweavers, the effect is likely more direct and amplified.

Shallan is probably a method actor who not only gets way too deep into her character, but also literally feeds that character mass-energy-thought-soul-equivalency material.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

i think Shallan might actually be borderline personality disorder. The fact she gives names to her emotional states might just be a red herring to make us think shes multiple personality

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
Borderline personality has nothing to do with multiple personalities.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Yeah, I'd probably avoid trying to pin any real conditions on these characters. Sanderson does homework, but he's not a psychologist and any resemblance to actual disorders is probably more coincidental than planned.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Another way to put it is that the important parts are the symptoms the characters have, not whatever label you use to categorize the specific set of symptoms.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Aggro posted:

Borderline personality has nothing to do with multiple personalities.

Multiple Personalities now falls under the diagnostic label of Dissociative Identity Disorder. You could probably write a book about the symptom and diagnostic overlap between DID and BPD, depending on the survey or study you're reading between 35-80% of patients with DID also meet the diagnostic criteria for BPD.

hell, dsm-v first essential diagnostic criteria for BPD:

quote:

A. Significant impairments in personality functioning manifest by:
1. Impairments in self functioning (a or b):
a. Identity: Markedly impoverished, poorly developed, or unstable self-image, often associated with excessive self criticism; chronic feelings of emptiness; dissociative states under stress.
b. Self-direction: Instability in goals, aspirations, values, or career plans.

So not too surprising there's confusion between dissociative identity disorder vs an impaired identity that can also become dissociative under stress (BPD). Both diagnoses suffer from being way too vague in what they mean by a dissociative state (a spectrum that can run from daydreaming to full blown feelings of demonic possession and amnesia).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Is there a Robert Jordan or Wheel of Time thread somewhere? I went back a few pages in the forum and couldn't find anything...

Or should I just ask if the books get any less word vomit as the series goes on? I'm going to guess no. Currently listening to the series on audiobook (just started book 5) during my work commute, and I'm enjoying it, but goddrat are there tons of chapters that just bore me to tears. The complete Aiel history in Shadow Rising and all the Rhuidean stuff just killed me, especially when some chapters introduce 400 extra characters that all sound the same.

Perrin's chapters are easily the best so far.

Totally enjoying the overall story, but man there's some parts that are just a slog to get through.