Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Well that's no good. Hey, remember this mod?

http://www.moddb.com/mods/anno-domini-1257

Play this instead, it's awesome and historically accurate (lol)

E: I just realized the collector's edition of this game came with a real sword

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Feb 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

gasman posted:

Preload is up on Steam. Possibly for backers only.

Annoyingly enough I never got a key.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
https://www.twitch.tv/lorenlyr
This is a stream where I think the guy is cosplaying Ledger's character from A Knight's Tale but claims to be a real historian streaming the game, and is bad at it

gasman
Mar 21, 2013

hey now

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Annoyingly enough I never got a key.

Did you link your account on their site to your steam account?
You could do that only since saturday I think.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer

Firstborn posted:

Medieval WRPG with a healthy amount of jank is extremely my poo poo. Mount & Blade kept me occupied for well over 300 hours if you include mods.

Tell me the important stuff; how dirty are the peasants? Do you even notice when you trample them on your warhorse? Any roaming bands of nomadic bandits?

Your questions answered, but "Hope is a mistake" may yet apply. We shall see:

You start out as a blacksmith's son and can get dirty like any peasant. Warhorses can be used as living weapons (according to wiki). Roaming bandits can intercept you on roads. Horse archery is in the game in some form.

Will the game be any good, it is too early to tell. Lots of doubt in the thread, plenty of mixed views and uncertainty for now. If in doubt, wait.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

gasman posted:

Did you link your account on their site to your steam account?
You could do that only since saturday I think.

It was linked so I could get Beta access, but I don't have any way of getting the actual game. I checked their website and I don't see any way to link the account.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I thought this wasn't going to release until tomorrow. Any dudes streaming first impressions?

FlyingCowOfDoom
Aug 1, 2003

let the beat drop

Phlegmish posted:

I thought this wasn't going to release until tomorrow. Any dudes streaming first impressions?

Consoles got it early, PC not till tomorrow.

I am going to either love this and spend like 80+ hours or just hate it, cant wait to see which it is.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It was linked so I could get Beta access, but I don't have any way of getting the actual game. I checked their website and I don't see any way to link the account.

Hmm.
Maybe it's somewhere on the Backer Rewards page- sign in -option at their site? I signed into their site a while back when they had a thread open in forums for it. Contact their support or check their forums if you can't preload.

The download is a preload of the whole game. It should be playable on 13th.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

SlightlyMad posted:

Hmm.
Maybe it's somewhere on the Backer Rewards page- sign in -option at their site? I signed into their site a while back when they had a thread open in forums for it. Contact their support or check their forums if you can't preload.

The download is a preload of the whole game. It should be playable on 13th.

I checked and it has a blank entry next to "platform" so I suspect the problem is there. I was under the impression that they would default to the PC... but who knows.

gasman
Mar 21, 2013

hey now

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I checked and it has a blank entry next to "platform" so I suspect the problem is there. I was under the impression that they would default to the PC... but who knows.

Yea, that has to be a mistake if you had beta access. Definitely contact their support.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!
There's a huge GoT total conversion mod for this in the works so will be worth it just for that.

I do hope the game is successful enough for them to make KCD2 but in freaking Unreal Engine instead to get rid of this CryEngine jank. Just like Star Citizen, this game was kickstarted back in the day when the fact that CryEngine is absolute jank and buggy unfixable poo poo was, somehow, not yet common knowledge in the industry.

"Realistic setting, no dragons" medieval games are so rare that I hope success of this will mean we get more and better games in this niche in the future.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

They mentioned in a backer email that some Soldier level backers would need to contact them directly to get activation. Their whole setup seems pretty janky start to finish.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Firstborn posted:

Medieval WRPG with a healthy amount of jank is extremely my poo poo. Mount & Blade kept me occupied for well over 300 hours if you include mods.

Tell me the important stuff; how dirty are the peasants? Do you even notice when you trample them on your warhorse? Any roaming bands of nomadic bandits?

The combat footage from players involves peasants blocking swords and maces with their bare hands, and every fight seems to take ten minutes regardless of circumstances.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Rad Russian posted:

There's a huge GoT total conversion mod for this in the works so will be worth it just for that.

The larger and more ambitious the mod, the less likely it値l ever be completed.

Fingers crossed this is one of the few that make it.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Good luck making a mod for a fuckin cry-engine game lol

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Going for a hermit monk play through for my first run.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Skoll posted:

I must be the minority that always thought Chivalry combat kind of sucked. I loved how War of the Roses took on Mount and Blades basic combat and improved on it. The best I'd say though, was Of Kings and Men. Sadly, that game died an ignoble death but it probably had the best melee combat out of any of these games.

Wrong

Die By The Sword had the best melee

Now it's GORN

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Songbearer posted:

Wrong

Die By The Sword had the best melee

Now it's GORN

i want to get a vive someday, and when i do. GORN will be my addiction.

Popete posted:

Going for a hermit monk play through for my first run.

i am going for smart and literate fighter type.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Hi, I知 an historian for the Middle Ages and HEMA veteran.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

KyloWinter posted:

Was your PhD in Moorish migration patterns throughout Bohemian villages with population of less than 500 people in the early 1400s? If not, GTFO of this thread.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

KyloWinter posted:

What was literacy like in 15th century Bohemia, if you happen toknow? Legit curious, since it came up earlier in this thread in a round about way.

gasman
Mar 21, 2013

hey now

KyloWinter posted:

How do you poop in plate armour?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

It seems like a strange thing to complain about but I'm a bit concerned about how dark the game is during nighttime. Yes yes, not like they had artificial lighting, but there should at least be *moonlight* or something. From the previews it looks like it's cave dark the whole night.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

iGestalt posted:

What was literacy like in 15th century Bohemia, if you happen toknow? Legit curious, since it came up earlier in this thread in a round about way.

Bad.

England: 40% (Late 1400s - early 1500s)

Poland: 10% (1500s)

Italy: 25-35% (Late 1200s - early 1300s)

Germany: 5% overall, 30% urban areas (Early 1500s)

Like ironically enough, the fact anybody can read in this game is pretty ahistorical. This ain't England with it's 40%, it's Poland/Germany with it's sub5%.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Rookersh posted:

Bad.

England: 40% (Late 1400s - early 1500s)

Poland: 10% (1500s)

Italy: 25-35% (Late 1200s - early 1300s)

Germany: 5% overall, 30% urban areas (Early 1500s)

Like ironically enough, the fact anybody can read in this game is pretty ahistorical. This ain't England with it's 40%, it's Poland/Germany with it's sub5%.

Cool - I expected as much. Why is it that "Historical Games" never actually do research outside the surface area? I know the point has been made about the choice not to include peoples of an ethnic minority (within Bohemia in 15th century) but eeeh. Also the whole "night is super dark" thing is dumb. Night would've, surely, not been super dark as there wouldn't be remotely as much light pollution?

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Rad Russian posted:

Was your PhD in Moorish migration patterns throughout Bohemian villages with population of less than 500 people in the early 1400s? If not, GTFO of this thread.

Yes. I am currently teaching a 200 level course on the demographic genocide of the Bohemians caused by this.

iGestalt posted:

No one knew how to read before the Gutenberg press. All knowledge was divined through the medium to god, the clergy, as we understood the world in a metaphorical way and not a rational one.

gasman posted:

How do you poop in plate armour?

The same way you would poop in any armor. As an armored person one would not be wearing any pants so it is impossible to poop one痴 pants.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Still on the fence about getting this. Are there any reliable early reviews on YT amidst the garbage ?

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

iGestalt posted:

Cool - I expected as much. Why is it that "Historical Games" never actually do research outside the surface area? I know the point has been made about the choice not to include peoples of an ethnic minority (within Bohemia in 15th century) but eeeh. Also the whole "night is super dark" thing is dumb. Night would've, surely, not been super dark as there wouldn't be remotely as much light pollution?

Without moonlight night is really dark. Even with some moonlight it is still really dark. Light pollution makes things brighter. Leave your houses goons.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

KyloWinter posted:

Without moonlight night is really dark. Even with some moonlight it is still really dark. Light pollution makes things brighter. Leave your houses goons.

No, it's dark outside. How can I argue about things I clearly don't fully comprehend outside?!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yeah I didn't really get the point about light pollution

e: though gently caress realism, I want to be able to actually see things in video games.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Light pollution pollutes the light so it痴 darker you see.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!
So now the game is TOO black. We've come full circle.

FlyingCowOfDoom
Aug 1, 2003

let the beat drop

Rad Russian posted:

So now the game is TOO black. We've come full circle.

Nobody can be happy!

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Replace all NPC's with gigantic floating balls of non-polluted light. Everybody wins.

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
Wasn't there a supernova around that time? Too bad it was on the wrong side of the globe at night.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Dark rear end mods people always make for Bethesda games are dumb. Moonlight lights up the night pretty well whenever its out, but really just not staring into fire or whatever long enough your eyes adjust and you can see shapes and such. It's not like being thrown in a well. Otherwise I would've died trying to take a piss at 2am when I couldn't find my headlamp.

Also, its not any fun to see nothing in a video game. Just make it darker and desaturate poo poo. This game is already going nuts with full screen image effects throw on another one at night.

This is an entire game made by lovely Bethesda mod developers. I have to try it.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Bunch of Goons scared of the dark ITT

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

You know when you're drunk and it's dark out and you're lost and you're frustrated

This game will be like that, especially after I max out my Drinking stat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

KyloWinter posted:

I looked back at the gameplay trailer and I figured out why it felt so dark. There's no loving stars. It's just pitch black all the time.

E. This looked a lot darker in the video before I snipped it out, but you can still see there's no stars out.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Feb 12, 2018