Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Billzasilver posted:

The worst thing is fake or useless variety

In DeI it's pretty common to see units with the same names and costs but different stats, or the same names and stats but different costs.

Also sometimes lots of variations of "x levy, y levy, z levy" that are identical except graphically if you're somewhere multicultural, but them I don't mind too much cuz the mod is intended to be spergy and it looks cool to see a mixed force on the battlemap if you're a multicultural state.

gently caress the native language thing though. It's not that hard to figure out what a hoplitai athenaioi or a cohors legionari is but I am not so familiar with loving punic or parthian or whatever

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Feb 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
It's not even actual native languages though, they have the Scythian stuff in Greek and so on. It's just some weird pseudo-authenticity for the sake of looking fancy.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Koramei posted:

It's not even actual native languages though, they have the Scythian stuff in Greek and so on. It's just some weird pseudo-authenticity for the sake of looking fancy.

Yeah, that's been a standard thing for Total War mods since the Rome 1 and Medieval 2 days. Sometimes it's been actively against history, like using anachronistic terms etc. But people lap it up as being 'accurate' even if you can't make out any of what it means.

Honestly I think there's room for a little of that for flavour but you don't need to rename literally everything.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Yeah I agree it's not inherently horrible, it just annoys me particularly because the modders always claim to be going for maximum historicity but tend to do it in very narrow ways.

Also this is probably my bias as an anglophone, since I imagine in other languages they would use different terms anyway, but one of the few net long term positives I take out of these games (and Paradox ones, which have exactly the same modding issue) is that they teach me a lot about geography and context etc behind some of the history. Which I get none of if I'm using mods that use names and terms that not even history textbooks use.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

imo if you’re going to give things historically accurate names you should use the historically accurate script/alphabet as well. if your ancient egyptian units aren’t named using hieroglyphics you can gently caress off

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

BBJoey posted:

imo if you’re going to give things historically accurate names you should use the historically accurate script/alphabet as well. if your ancient egyptian units aren’t named using hieroglyphics you can gently caress off

There was a Rome 1 mod set when egypt was around, Rise of Persia I think? Egyptian units were named in the way an egyptologist would transcribe hieroglyphs, like “pt-3mn” or “mwt tfr”

Such immersion

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

There was a Rome 1 mod set when egypt was around, Rise of Persia I think? Egyptian units were named in the way an egyptologist would transcribe hieroglyphs, like “pt-3mn” or “mwt tfr”

Such immersion

this is my poo poo right here

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

In DeI it's pretty common to see units with the same names and costs but different stats, or the same names and stats but different costs.

Also sometimes lots of variations of "x levy, y levy, z levy" that are identical except graphically if you're somewhere multicultural, but them I don't mind too much cuz the mod is intended to be spergy and it looks cool to see a mixed force on the battlemap if you're a multicultural state.

gently caress the native language thing though. It's not that hard to figure out what a hoplitai athenaioi or a cohors legionari is but I am not so familiar with loving punic or parthian or whatever

DeI has a submod for doing away with that though, so it's not all bad.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Randarkman posted:

DeI has a submod for doing away with that though, so it's not all bad.

the problem is that that requires me to have to dig through all the submods to find it

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Such immersion

0 A.D. pulls this poo poo too.

http://0ad.wikia.com/wiki/Ptolemies

choice quote demonstrating this in addition to an other problem the game has...

quote:

Buildings, units and technologiesEdit

Village Phase
pR-'a (Civic center) [500 w, 500 m, 500 s, 500 sec]: Allows to aquire large territories, and builds citizens.
Gyne Aigyptia (Egyptian Woman) [50 f, 1 pop, 8 sec]: Thanks to her inspiring aura, nearby male citizens work 10% faster.
Phalaggmomakhimos (Egyptian Pikeman) [50 f, 50 w, 1 pop, 10 sec]: Melee infantry unit.
Kousit Misthophoros Toxotes (Nubian Mercenary Archer) [25 f, 50 w, 25 m, 1 pop, 10 sec]: Ranged Infantry unit.

Asehujiko fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Feb 12, 2018

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

"Gyne Aigyptia" hahahahaha

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
That hieroglyph transliteration thing is incredible, and I can't believe anyone thought it was a good idea (except in the case of the 0AD folks, who have no good ideas ever).

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

hWT-N-HT.W-WHA.W (Market)

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Agean90 posted:

the problem is that that requires me to have to dig through all the submods to find it

The submods are all linked to in the main download I think.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Asehujiko posted:

0 A.D. pulls this poo poo too.

http://0ad.wikia.com/wiki/Ptolemies

choice quote demonstrating this in addition to an other problem the game has...

The Ptolemaic Dynasty was extinct by 0 AD. Immersion ruined.

Here's a fun drinking game: browse TWC or the official forums.

Take a drink if something is immersion-breaking
Take a drink if something post-Med2 is dumbed-down or arcadey
Take another drink if it's described as being "for the masses"
Double the above two rules if the same, but everything post-Med1

Elite version:
Take a drink if someone off-handedly insults Warhammer fans
Take a drink if someone exhibits veiled anti-chinese bigotry.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Running these games on a modern electronic computer is an insult to anyone genuinely interested in history. I've ported the 0 A.D. code to a period abacus. Takes about 20 years to load, unbeatable immersion.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

i remember when the accepted wisdom on twc was that m2tw was a blight on the noble total war series and was strictly inferior to rtw in all ways

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Ola posted:

Running these games on a modern electronic computer is an insult to anyone genuinely interested in history. I've ported the 0 A.D. code to a period abacus. Takes about 20 years to load, unbeatable immersion.

Huh, so they finally managed to reduce turn time.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
I honestly don't know why those TW modders insist on including their linguistic work in the main versions of their mods when they're so broadly unpopular and it'd be so easy to include them as a sub-mod.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Because they are terrible dudes.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Kaal posted:

I honestly don't know why those TW modders insist on including their linguistic work in the main versions of their mods when they're so broadly unpopular and it'd be so easy to include them as a sub-mod.

Well, the answer is probably that it's not the main modder who's doing that, and one or more other dudes whose only real responsibility in the project is coming up with units and names who are doing this, and they want their work in the mod, goddamnit.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

BBJoey posted:

i remember when the accepted wisdom on twc was that m2tw was a blight on the noble total war series and was strictly inferior to rtw in all ways

I'm glad they finally stopped demanding a return to sprites.

Sometime in the past decade the complaint went from "gameplay over graphics you hacks" to "these non-photorealistic battlefields destroy my immersion, where is the realism?"

My new favourite CA forum post is a dude declaring he won't buy Three Kingdoms because the unrealistic trailer fight shows a full commitment to Warhammer-level fantasy and Cao Cao will clearly be able to shoot lightning. He compares it to the Shogun 2 trailer where, of course, the straight-out-of-kurosawa fight choreography that teleports in a cherry blossom grove is exactly how samurai fights happened. Anyone who questions this needs to research martial arts.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I'm glad they finally stopped demanding a return to sprites.

Oh I got your sprites right here

https://my.mixtape.moe/akzjtb.webm

feller
Jul 5, 2006

my god... the realism

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Woah woah woah darth’s civil american war game is actually...... decent? There isn’t even a darth vader anywhere

Biggest complaint so far is I routed the rebels at Bull Run but then Shiloh happens just like in real history, my impression was more dynamism

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Woah woah woah darth’s civil american war game is actually...... decent? There isn’t even a darth vader anywhere

Biggest complaint so far is I routed the rebels at Bull Run but then Shiloh happens just like in real history, my impression was more dynamism

Yes

If you turn on dynamism the enemy will draw from a force pool and if you really gently caress them up in a battle the next battle you fight they will have less guys.

There's no branching alt history stuff, that's only for the Gettysburg standalone.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
What's his game called again?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Kaal posted:

There is simply no other way to accurately convey the meaning of "Greek man with sword" other than Akliopoiso Sjlklmnikjop.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Nuclear War posted:

What's his game called again?

Ultimate General: Civil War

I haven't played much but my only complaint is that it's not literally Sid Meier's Gettysburg

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Ultimate General is pretty fun and the creator really grew up and out of his DARTH VADERZZ beginnings, it’s a legit good game.

I kind of wish Total War games would pull their focus away from the world map and focus on battles, similar to how UG:Civil war did. The Total War campaign AI really struggles to make good choices that lead to constant excellent battles. In UG:Civil War it felt like they flipped the setup and designed awesome battles first, then designed campaign map decisions that influence the battles. I guess technically you get less replay value but a full play through of UG:Civil War is like 40+ battles that last over 40 minutes.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

a little concerned about TW Britannia, having not seen anything about it before really I just watched some videos and apparently its basically an expansion of Attila with much less unit variety? I love the Attila time period but I'd say thats the only TW game that doesnt actually work at all.
All my games of it have been just been me putzing around with 100 gold income slowly building boring units while the AI does nothing at all. Though admittedly its a little better if you play as either of the Romes.

A proper 64 bit engine and such should fix a lot of the technical issues and I cant imagine the CAI will be as braindead but still a little offputting if so, I was kinda hoping TW:WH would signal a clear break from their old stuff, since IMO both TW:WH games are the best vanilla TW experiences.

Maybe TW:China will be that instead? Do we have any news of that one?

And again, terrible visual variety in the units, all of them are clones with 2 diff colours of hair and cloaks. I guess maybe in 4 years or so there will be a really good mod for it, but that never happened for Atilla.
(Sorry for repeating myself in the WH thread, i forgot this one exists)

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Captain Beans posted:

Ultimate General is pretty fun and the creator really grew up and out of his DARTH VADERZZ beginnings, it’s a legit good game.

I kind of wish Total War games would pull their focus away from the world map and focus on battles, similar to how UG:Civil war did. The Total War campaign AI really struggles to make good choices that lead to constant excellent battles. In UG:Civil War it felt like they flipped the setup and designed awesome battles first, then designed campaign map decisions that influence the battles. I guess technically you get less replay value but a full play through of UG:Civil War is like 40+ battles that last over 40 minutes.

My interest right now in the TW series has basically taken a back burner until I hear of some significant change of the world map. I just feel the way it is used is a relic of the past. Imagine the tears if ever there was some form of -*-Casualization-*- of the world map.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Captain Beans posted:

Yeah it’s a nifty game, people who like TW will probably like it. It’s surpsingly ungroggy and the tooltips/help menu are better than CA’s tbh.

A sequel with more polish and more scenarios would be a solid buy from me.

I’m hoping 3 kingdoms will have a more substantial break from Rome/Attila then ToB but the changes in ToB look like a great start

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

StarMinstrel posted:

My interest right now in the TW series has basically taken a back burner until I hear of some significant change of the world map. I just feel the way it is used is a relic of the past. Imagine the tears if ever there was some form of -*-Casualization-*- of the world map.

They've done a lot of changes to the campaign map with Warhammer, especially with the new maneuvering stances than let you bypass obstacles at times. They need to get rid of forced March however because that stance has never been fun and the ai abuses the hell out of it.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Yeah it’s a nifty game, people who like TW will probably like it. It’s surpsingly ungroggy and the tooltips/help menu are better than CA’s tbh.

A sequel with more polish and more scenarios would be a solid buy from me.

I’m hoping 3 kingdoms will have a more substantial break from Rome/Attila then ToB but the changes in ToB look like a great start

There was a sequel: Ultimate General Civil War. Gettysburg was only that one battle, while Civil War takes you through minor skirmishes along all the famous encounters.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

nopantsjack posted:

Maybe TW:China will be that instead? Do we have any news of that one?

And again, terrible visual variety in the units, all of them are clones with 2 diff colours of hair and cloaks. I guess maybe in 4 years or so there will be a really good mod for it, but that never happened for Atilla.
(Sorry for repeating myself in the WH thread, i forgot this one exists)

I think unit variety would be aided if the devs dug in a bit deeper on the histories of the various factions in play in their games since they could use that sort nuance to breath a bit of life into rosters without just making fantastic/ahistorical units. That said, I'm not so sure we'll see that all that much in the next game. They could emphasize tactical differences within the factions to really shape unit/roster composition. Hell, maybe they could do something with heroes too, since the Three Kingdoms has a bunch of em! (Potentially, they could draw some inspiration from RoTK!)

That said, my experience with some unit mods hasn't been so hot. There was this one for Rome II Emperor Edition (which, I must admit, I quite enjoyed in spite of its issues) which basically gave every army tons of units that, functionally, made every army the same. Rosters had basically no gaps, tons of redundancies, etc...

I know the WH games are sort of close to this, but I'm still holding out hope for a proper pike and shot game since the 16th and 17th centuries are so rife with conflict. I think you could get some interesting variety in there too with regards to armies, formations and tech trees. Could also have a pretty expansive map/faction roster and lots of map agents! I'd probably settle for a more fleshed out, balanced and expansive sequel to Empire though.

Also, I somehow missed almost all news about Britannia.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Captain Beans posted:

My brother autoresolved like 90% of the battles he ever played in Total War.

nopantsjack posted:

a little concerned about TW Britannia, having not seen anything about it before really I just watched some videos and apparently its basically an expansion of Attila with much less unit variety?

Now that you mention it, they do both have swords in them. :thunk:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

There was a sequel: Ultimate General Civil War. Gettysburg was only that one battle, while Civil War takes you through minor skirmishes along all the famous encounters.

I meant rather, a sequel to the sequel!

In New Rome II, can I change what provinces belong to what political factions? I finally murdered the gently caress out of the insidious romans as Pyrrhus of Epirus in DeI and I'd like my own faction to have Rome or Tarentum instead of dumb useless Epirus. gently caress off Apollonia, I'm Basileus Rhomaion now. Get hosed republics!

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

nopantsjack posted:

a little concerned about TW Britannia, having not seen anything about it before really I just watched some videos and apparently its basically an expansion of Attila with much less unit variety? I love the Attila time period but I'd say thats the only TW game that doesnt actually work at all.
All my games of it have been just been me putzing around with 100 gold income slowly building boring units while the AI does nothing at all. Though admittedly its a little better if you play as either of the Romes.

You're supposed to disband your units in Attila often since the upkeep starts out so high. Also the AI ought to be burning down everything Roman and taking their poo poo so idk what is going wrong.

Fire Barrel posted:

I know the WH games are sort of close to this, but I'm still holding out hope for a proper pike and shot game since the 16th and 17th centuries are so rife with conflict. I think you could get some interesting variety in there too with regards to armies, formations and tech trees. Could also have a pretty expansive map/faction roster and lots of map agents! I'd probably settle for a more fleshed out, balanced and expansive sequel to Empire though.

Also, I somehow missed almost all news about Britannia.

Britannia is somehow the most Empire-like of all the new games, at least until we see what Three Kingdoms looks like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
have they confirmed a massive multiplayer grand campaign for britainia yet

i want those 5 player campaigns