Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I looked back at the gameplay trailer and I figured out why it felt so dark. There's no loving stars. It's just pitch black all the time.

There were no stars back then in Bohemia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Fame Douglas posted:

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Fame Douglas posted:

Open your eyes, look up to the skies and see.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Their on staff historian told them Copernicus hadn't invented stars yet.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Fame Douglas posted:

Made me laugh because I just found out about that SJW advocating the games racist for not having black people in 15th century bohemia.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

IGN is streaming it with someone from the company I think. It looks kind of fun.

https://www.twitch.tv/ign

Jolarix
Feb 28, 2004
Your reading skill has increased by +1 point(s).
Found a PS4 physical copy, and currently downloading the 25gb patch... so basically waiting until tomorrow.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Made me laugh because I just found out about that SJW advocating the games racist for not having black people in 15th century bohemia.

We were just discussing how everyone being a white dude is not historically accurate for, specifically, the period which they claimed to be accurately depicting. Keep up yo

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Iirc they hadn't yet invented race because they didn't need it to justify chattel slavery

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

TipsyMcStagger posted:

ya black people didnt exist rofl

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Niwrad posted:

IGN is streaming it with someone from the company I think. It looks kind of fun.

https://www.twitch.tv/ign

Yeesh, the dude found a sleeping guy and stabbed him several times, and the guy had time to play the "getting out of bed" animation and then run away, followed by 8-10 guards piling into the room and whaling on the player for half a minute till he was arrested. In the preview vids it looked a lot more lethal?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

The Chad Jihad posted:

Yeesh, the dude found a sleeping guy and stabbed him several times, and the guy had time to play the "getting out of bed" animation and then run away, followed by 8-10 guards piling into the room and whaling on the player for half a minute till he was arrested. In the preview vids it looked a lot more lethal?

IIRC killing someone with stealth is a perk, not something you can do off the bat. So i guess until you unlock it you will be shooting people in the head from half a foot away

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

KyloWinter posted:

The same way you would poop in any armor. As an armored person one would not be wearing any pants so it is impossible to poop one’s pants.

Kingdump Come: Shitymypants

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

DreamShipWrecked posted:

IIRC killing someone with stealth is a perk, not something you can do off the bat. So i guess until you unlock it you will be shooting people in the head from half a foot away

That's a fairly unique kind of stupid.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

A bit surprised they’ve erred on the side of “not lethal enough” rather than “too lethal”.

dpf
Sep 17, 2011

I'm sort of surprised about the whole diversity thing. The west absolutely has a moral duty to inclusively depict POCs in the arts, but countries like Poland and the Czech Republic were in no way involved in chattel slavery or imperialism and in the former case was a victim of repeated imperial dick moves. Seems like a lot of noise from Americans who are projecting their own (legitimate) neuroses onto the whole world.

Really hope this game rules and the combat isn't dreary

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The patron saint of the HRE (Saint Maurice) is literally a black dude so it's doubly hilarious.

Furry Hunter
May 5, 2005
Professional Fursecutor

DangerousDan posted:

I'm sort of surprised about the whole diversity thing. The west absolutely has a moral duty to inclusively depict POCs in the arts, but countries like Poland and the Czech Republic were in no way involved in chattel slavery or imperialism and in the former case was a victim of repeated imperial dick moves. Seems like a lot of noise from Americans who are projecting their own (legitimate) neuroses onto the whole world.

It's called Amerisplaining

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

DangerousDan posted:

probaly. if the game was in the heavy populated/trade areas, they would have alot less excuse. but it seems like its bumfuck rural 1 mile by 1 mile type deal near hungary.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

DangerousDan posted:

countries like Poland and the Czech Republic were in no way involved in chattel slavery

Which is why they hadn't invented race

xXWehrabooXx
Mar 11, 2014

DangerousDan posted:

I disagree. The only moral duty a game developer has is to develop a game where the value is greater or equal to the price the consumer pays. The player should vote with their wallet whether or not they are willing to pay more diversity in their games, if players do value diversity, then games with more diversity will do better and more studios will make games which features more diversity. Most of these people complaining about diversity in video games don't even play the loving game and do nothing more than make the developers waste resources which is passed onto the buyer.

Just let the studios do whatever the gently caress they want and let the free market decide whether or not they succeed.

Bitter fly
Sep 25, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I bought a 100 dollar steam wallet card at Target today so I could get this and the code gives an error message: The steam wallet code is invalid.

gently caress I want that preorder bonus

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
i always just assume that people who think that night is super dark have poor night vision

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

xXWehrabooXx posted:

I disagree. The only moral duty a game developer has is to develop a game where the value is greater or equal to the price the consumer pays. The player should vote with their wallet whether or not they are willing to pay more diversity in their games, if players do value diversity, then games with more diversity will do better and more studios will make games which features more diversity. Most of these people complaining about diversity in video games don't even play the loving game and do nothing more than make the developers waste resources which is passed onto the buyer.

Just let the studios do whatever the gently caress they want and let the free market decide whether or not they succeed.

I just think it's silly to present your game as The Most Historically Accurate Ever and then not be accurate

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Doorknob Slobber posted:

i always just assume that people who think that night is super dark have poor night vision

I mean if it’s cloudy or the moon’s taking a night off it’s going to be pretty dark

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

xXWehrabooXx posted:

hahaha games goons

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

are the town names shown so far real or not

shouldn't it be easy to know if this was a trade route territory or backwards country

xXWehrabooXx
Mar 11, 2014

corn in the bible posted:

I just think it's silly to present your game as The Most Historically Accurate Ever and then not be accurate

But is it really?
It's set in the middle of buttfuck nowhere in Bohemia in the 1400s. Yes, there are traders of color; no, there aren't many of them, especially in middle of buttfuck nowhere. Even though Bohemia is a major trade centre of the HRE, it wouldn't make sense for a merchant from North Africa or Turkey to travel all the way inland when they can sell their goods at a port or another trading centre much earlier since travelling on land is very slow and travelling far inland would mean that they would take much longer to travel back, giving them a lower profit rate while increasing the risk.
The big question is it really worth the development resources to capture a statistically insignificant population?
Even if you want it, I doubt most of the playerbase would care enough to pay extra.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

xXWehrabooXx posted:

But is it really?
It's set in the middle of buttfuck nowhere in Bohemia in the 1400s. Yes, there are traders of color; no, there aren't many of them, especially in middle of buttfuck nowhere. Even though Bohemia is a major trade centre of the HRE, it wouldn't make sense for a merchant from North Africa or Turkey to travel all the way inland when they can sell their goods at a port or another trading centre much earlier since travelling on land is very slow and travelling far inland would mean that they would take much longer to travel back, giving them a lower profit rate while increasing the risk.
The big question is it really worth the development resources to capture a statistically insignificant population?
Even if you want it, I doubt most of the playerbase would care enough to pay extra.

What was your thesis on?

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I think Grimoire has some dark skinned portraits. When your game is being more of a prick about this than Mr you sapiens don't understand my neanderthal theories of race war Grimoire dev you should probably rethink your position.

Especially when the laziest most half assed to do this is AlbedoColor = tex2D(_MainTex, IN.uv_MainTex).rgb * _SkinColor in a shader. This game looks like CryEngine Oblivion in every other way so why not double down on it.

Also request
in OP.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
In a futile effort, I went digging and found this (old) quote from a dev.

quote:

There will be Czechs, Germans, Cumans (Hungarians/Magyars). Swiss people will also a appear in a certain scene.
Jews lived in bigger cities and mainly in cities of the crown. This is not the case of our location in Act1. But some may be present.
Distant merchants (Arabs, Italians) also may appear.
Romani people started appearing in the country roughly at that time so these can also appear (initially they were mistaken for travelers form the Holy Land which may create some interesting scenarios).
We may also incorporate Poles, Russians, Greeks, Turks, Spaniards, French people or freshly christianized (and thus widely Pagan) Baltic. Individuals. That depends on design that is yet to be created.
Black people or distant Asians (India, China, Japan) will not appear. There might have been individuals in the capital city of Prague but our game doesn’t take place there.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

xXWehrabooXx posted:

But is it really?

drat. I didn't realize making a black npc took up more development resources than making a white npc

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

The weird canned combat animations make me think of one of those mods for Oblivion that shoehorns in new attacks but not well

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

KyloWinter posted:

drat. I didn't realize making a black npc took up more development resources than making a white npc

It's, like, one whole extra texture. They couldn't waste their precious making GBS threads system development time to make one.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Pretty sure everyone in Bohemia was black back then. Even today, barely any white people in the Czech Republic.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

corn in the bible posted:

The weird canned combat animations make me think of one of those mods for Oblivion that shoehorns in new attacks but not well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBXOK3eozyg

you reminded me of this.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Fame Douglas posted:

Pretty sure everyone in Bohemia was black back then. Even today, barely any white people in the Czech Republic.

go back to bohemia obama!!!!!

xXWehrabooXx
Mar 11, 2014

KyloWinter posted:

wtf what do you mean that other people don't want to pay for things I want to pay for?

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

xXWehrabooXx posted:

But is it really?

bohemia wasn't buttfuck nowhere, at least until frederick of the palatinate got through with it, and also i'm pretty sure it's historically inaccurate to block a sword with your fists.

more than once, i mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
i don't get why people think bohemia is unimportant! it was so important that the king of bohemia was one of the prince-electors of the HRE! that's how the loving thirty years' war got started!