Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

euphronius posted:

Didn't iguodala also just start bricking FTs

That was more an issue of a year by year decline that persisted whether or not he shot well that year.

Still weird, but not really the yips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.

RCarr posted:

I don't get it. What's bad about a dude throwing up a goofy shot in practice?

Its probably just me, but I have coached a ton of basketball, and shooting is kind of my specialty. Nothing would piss me off more than "practicing" non game type shots in practice. You are either getting better as a shooter or worse. It was always my opinion that a couple of "bad" shots could derail a whole practice of "good" shots. It's muscle memory.... you are either improving or declining. Especially with a shooter with the yips I'd want him to not think at all about his shot and let his body take over. If I was coaching him he would be doing nothing but form shooting from the box for a long while.

Just my opinion, who am I to give advice to a professional basketball player surrounded by other professional basketball people, and coaches. And I've only see him shooting by what gets posted here, and have really not seen any improvement, and what I usually see doesn't even look like it would lead to improvement.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
It is:
  • Good that wolves news has nothing to do with Derrick Rose
  • PATTON TIME MOTHERFUCKERS OH YEAH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJbHTFmZoms

scuz fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Feb 12, 2018

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
:siren: Actual News :siren:

kyrie irving, from philosopher-king to movie star

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/derekbodnernba/status/963142294705762305

Also his drtg was probably like 85

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

FrankeeFrankFrank posted:

Its probably just me, but I have coached a ton of basketball, and shooting is kind of my specialty. Nothing would piss me off more than "practicing" non game type shots in practice. You are either getting better as a shooter or worse. It was always my opinion that a couple of "bad" shots could derail a whole practice of "good" shots. It's muscle memory.... you are either improving or declining. Especially with a shooter with the yips I'd want him to not think at all about his shot and let his body take over. If I was coaching him he would be doing nothing but form shooting from the box for a long while.

Just my opinion, who am I to give advice to a professional basketball player surrounded by other professional basketball people, and coaches. And I've only see him shooting by what gets posted here, and have really not seen any improvement, and what I usually see doesn't even look like it would lead to improvement.

I mean, I do understand your point, but I think you are over reacting. Everyone who has ever played basketball, even casually, has thrown up silly shots like that a thousand times. Expecting someone who's job it is to play basketball every single day to not let his guard down for 1 second and take a silly fun shot in practice is crazy. These guys aren't robots. I can almost guarantee there's shots like that going up a few times in every team's practice facility every single day.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I'm guessing at this point Fultz mentally cannot form a correct shot.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Markelle Fultz envisioning a correct shot is much like the mid aught goons who could not mentally picture an axe striking and breaking a log without the axehead turning around 180 degrees and/or flying off

elime anning
Nov 19, 2002

Morbid Hound
I'd also like to point out that that video seems to be from November 6th, when it still seemed like Fultz would be playing in a matter of weeks and before this whole saga got truly bizarre

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.
^^^ Good to hear.

RCarr posted:

I mean, I do understand your point, but I think you are over reacting. Everyone who has ever played basketball, even casually, has thrown up silly shots like that a thousand times. Expecting someone who's job it is to play basketball every single day to not let his guard down for 1 second and take a silly fun shot in practice is crazy. These guys aren't robots. I can almost guarantee there's shots like that going up a few times in every team's practice facility every single day.

I know, and agree with you.

I guess I get frustrated because here is a player making millions of dollars, being coached by coaches making millions of dollars, and this is what I see? I 'd tell my players to save the dumb shots for horse in the driveway over the summer. The gym is where we become better players not worse. I'm not against fun, you can have fun without killing your fundamentals.

Is he even hurt anymore? Or is he just not playing because he cant shoot?

The number one pick in the draft, a shooting guard, isnt playing because he cant shoot and he's throwing up behind the back shots in practice. Just not a good, or professional, look, I guess... but like I said I'm in a "get off my lawn" mood today.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

^^^ Good to hear.

I know, and agree with you.

I guess I get frustrated because here is a player making millions of dollars, being coached by coaches making millions of dollars, and this is what I see? I 'd tell my players to save the dumb shots for horse in the driveway over the summer. The gym is where we become better players not worse. I'm not against fun, you can have fun without killing your fundamentals.

The number one pick in the draft, a shooting guard, isnt playing because he cant shoot and he's throwing up behind the back shots in practice. Just not a good, or professional, look, I guess... but like I said I'm in a "get off my lawn" mood today.

Dude Fultz sucks. He probably thought he could save his career if he could start sinking those.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

http://www.nj.com/sixers/index.ssf/2018/02/sixers_mishandled_joel_embiid_against_the_clippers.html
Praying for him :pray:

e: to be clear this isn't me being rude about Joel Embiid's injury history, this is from the game against the Clippers on Saturday

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Feb 12, 2018

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Punkin Spunkin posted:

But they never made a Vince Carter Doctor Funk movie.

For shame.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Cool Buff Man posted:

Markelle Fultz envisioning a correct shot is much like the mid aught goons who could not mentally picture an axe striking and breaking a log without the axehead turning around 180 degrees and/or flying off

I missed out on this and it's too bad because now I'm picturing PenguinBC accidentally axeing himself.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Every basketball player must be 100% serious at all times, basketball isn't a game, it is a cutthroat sport. If Markelle Fultz thinks he is going get ahead in life throwing behind the back shots at the basket then he surely should reconsider his career choices. This is a mans sport and not a silly game!!!!

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.

Paul Zuvella posted:

Every basketball player must be 100% serious at all times, basketball isn't a game, it is a cutthroat sport. If Markelle Fultz thinks he is going get ahead in life throwing behind the back shots at the basket then he surely should reconsider his career choices. This is a mans sport and not a silly game!!!!

I realize that's how that comes off but it isnt really what I was trying to say at all.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

I posted an article earlier in this thread this morning that tries to answer those same questions.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
"practice makes perfect but practice makes permanent" was the warning piano teachers would give to emphasize that practicing incorrectly can be hugely detrimental. It's true enough. And "SHOOT GAME SHOTS!" is a very common coach's warning. But then again I've been waiting years to see this move make its appearance in a real game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoDKtzjLS9k

fuckin' around happens and it's fun

euphronius posted:

Didn't iguodala also just start bricking FTs

i think he was a dude whose FT% felt very connected to his FTAs, and his FTAs trend downwards forever after year three

Iggy's one of the best around the rim-finishers in NBA history and the lack of respect for him in the GSW fan base makes me hate them >:{

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
how is your asking price for Avery Bradley "danny green and a 1st rounder". yeah uhh, give me a better player, and a first round pick..

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Practicing dumb shots all the time is how Lonzo got his hosed up three second shooting motion.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Punkin Spunkin posted:

It would be great if they secretly already made Space Jam 2 and were sitting on it just to have it open that same weekend.

Also, lol at LaVar saying Lonzo will leave the Lakers if they don't sign LiAngelo and LaMelo.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

a friend of mine said that the Lakers are going to use part of their cap space to sign LiAngelo this summer. I thought he was crazy but lol we live in a silly NBA so it's a total possibility

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Carlosologist posted:

a friend of mine said that the Lakers are going to use part of their cap space to sign LiAngelo this summer. I thought he was crazy but lol we live in a silly NBA so it's a total possibility

He has to be drafted .

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I feel confident that the Lakers will be able to sign him after the draft is over

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/CodyWesterlund/status/963190623040831491

Salute to the Bulls dedication.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

DNP - Sore

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

EvanTH posted:

"practice makes perfect but practice makes permanent" was the warning piano teachers would give to emphasize that practicing incorrectly can be hugely detrimental. It's true enough. And "SHOOT GAME SHOTS!" is a very common coach's warning. But then again I've been waiting years to see this move make its appearance in a real game:

lol, piano practice is exactly what my mind went to. Thing is your piano teacher can't be around 24/7 to tell you to stop loving around screwing up the same measures over and over again in the exact same way, and break it down to practice reasonably.

I assume coaching in the NBA works a lot like paying $30 an hour for piano lessons once a week.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
that's why my main goal with a student is to teach them to teach themselves, police their own technique after i spoon feed

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
the big mystery with fultz now is why he's allowed to practice anywhere remotely near where the media might be and why he hasn't been shipped off to an air gapped bunker gym somewhere in the middle of the desert already.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That's not a mystery. The team is allowing him to do what he wants and is not micromanaging him or treating him separately.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Rodney Hood probably doesn't start because he's as thin as telegraph wire, coaches don't want him to get banged on to start the game and lose his rhythm. He's a good enough player to start, like Will Barton, he's a bit more suited to a bench role.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/963180876925493249

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

It seems like just yesterday Denver was using Ty Lawson in all their ads to be the team star post Melo.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I know we're just at ASB but Houston and Golden State are basically locked in as the top two Western Conference seeds right? Like, #3 is 9 games back in the loss column. Holy poo poo.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

why hasnt derrick rose signed with the timberwolves yet?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Emeka Okafor started a game in 2018. What a world.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I know we're just at ASB but Houston and Golden State are basically locked in as the top two Western Conference seeds right? Like, #3 is 9 games back in the loss column. Holy poo poo.

Yes, likewise BOS and TOR are locked in at the moment for the EC.

Spacebump posted:

Has he incorporated the scooter into his dancing?

Thought that was a pogo stick initially.

R.D. Mangles posted:

don't they usually do jersey retirements before the game

Pippen had his during half-time and they played the theme from Jurassic Park:
https://youtu.be/MqHpzfI87_I?t=40m44s

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I won't be happy until I see the Ball Family Lakers versus Bron & Bron Jr in the 2025 NBA Finals

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
When Dario shaves he looks like Voldemort with a Hitler haircut

e: This isn't the GDT but my point stands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
NO!! Take Rose! PLEEEEEEEEEEEASE.

AggressivelyStupid posted:

why hasnt derrick rose signed with the timberwolves yet?
Thibs lost his phone, probably.

Honestly I hope he's not that stupid. He took old Bulls players of his, but he took good ones (except Brooks) who can at least Do Things and Be Back.

• Locked thread