Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Twin Cinema posted:

This is a weird question. But I am wondering who is the most surprising player who is still playing. Like, a dude you haven't thought of in years, and then bam, they're still inexplicably in the NHL. The two names that come to mind for me are Ales Hemsky and Marian Gaborik. I think Peter Budaj also counts.

Chris Thorburn, Cal O'reilly, Steve Bernier

e: Dennis Seidenberg too. Does he still use those weird t-blades?

Thufir fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Feb 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Mark Streit technically played a few games this season. Same with Steve Bernier.

oh yeah mike fisher lol

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

how da gently caress Matt Hendricks still playin hockey

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Aye Doc posted:

how da gently caress Matt Hendricks still playin hockey

silky mitts hendricks

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Jason Chimera. Dude only has 2 goals on one of the highest scoring teams in the league and I honestly forgot about him after he left Washington.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I didn't forget about Chimmer since he's been on the Caps recent enough that it's not surprising I still see him playing. I'm more surprised that he's 38.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Genuinely surprised Steve Bernier is still playing.

Was going to say Mike Fisher, but since he is unretiring, I recently thought of him.

Jason Chimera has back-to-back 20-goal seasons coming into this year?? What?

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I think its Beauchemin for me

This one is mine. I watched a Colorado game not that long ago and was really surprised when I heard his name called.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
i bet you could throw one made up name into the list of the current list of rangers defensemen and about 95% of nhl fans wouldn't be able to correctly identify it

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Mind_Taker posted:

Jason Chimera. Dude only has 2 goals on one of the highest scoring teams in the league and I honestly forgot about him after he left Washington.

He actually had 20 goals last year

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS
I was watching the Islanders game when they mentioned perineal underrated Superstar Loui Eriksson, and suddenly remembered he exists.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I’m not getting my hopes up about the Flyers, is love for them to actually get to the playoffs but it’s just as easy for us to go another huge game losing streak as it has been for us to be “good” again

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Ginette Reno posted:

He actually had 20 goals last year

hell i follow the islanders and this surprised me. i was thinking like 'no that was two years ago, with washington' but whaddya know

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Twin Cinema posted:

This is a weird question. But I am wondering who is the most surprising player who is still playing. Like, a dude you haven't thought of in years, and then bam, they're still inexplicably in the NHL. The two names that come to mind for me are Ales Hemsky and Marian Gaborik. I think Peter Budaj also counts.

Michal Rozsival and Jason Pominville.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Furnaceface posted:

Michal Rozsival

What the gently caress no way

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I didn't forget about Chimmer since he's been on the Caps recent enough that it's not surprising I still see him playing. I'm more surprised that he's 38.

if i weren't a cats follower, Derek mackenzie would be my answer. he feels like a 43 year old still hanging on, meanwhile he's "only" 36

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Twin Cinema posted:

Hemsky hasn't played a game since October.

On that topic, Lee Stempniak.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

It was Chris Kelly for me.

A bunch of the old Thrashers would be the current ones. I have trouble remembering Bryan Little plays in the league.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

LumpyGumby posted:

I was watching the Islanders game when they mentioned perineal underrated Superstar Loui Eriksson, and suddenly remembered he exists.

I got an Eriksson jersey when he played for the Stars, and not even four months later he was traded to Boston.

Not.....even the slightest bit.....sad about that money.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Jamwad Hilder posted:

What the gently caress no way

I forgot he hasnt technically played a game this season because he ended up getting injured. If that wasnt the case he totally would have played a few games by now because Chicago's D really is that bad right now.

e: Hossa and Rozsival, old dudes hanging out on LTIR.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

David Booth, Dan Hamhuis, and Ben Lovejoy

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

yellowcar posted:

Hemsky hasn't played a game since October.

On that topic, Lee Stempniak.

That dude ruled on the Devils. Can scarcely remember a better rental kind of player.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
if you asked me this question last postseason i would have said john-michael liles, who i thought retired in 2012 but somehow found his way onto boston's postseason roster

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
N: The Leafs being able to roll 4 lines of pressure is really nice to see. Also I'm actually surprised they beat Tampa.

V: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKQJXJOVGE4

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

corn on the cop posted:

if you asked me this question last postseason i would have said john-michael liles, who i thought retired in 2012 but somehow found his way onto boston's postseason roster

add lauri korpikoski, who i thought went to the finnish league in like 2011 but somehow managed to play 401 games with the coyotes

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Leafs feel and look like they're playing like they were at the start of the season, I approve.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Chad Sexington posted:

That dude ruled on the Devils. Can scarcely remember a better rental kind of player.

Search my post history for “stempniak” to see one mans shouts into the void about how stupid they were not to re-sign him for like $1.5M AAV a few years ago

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug

AegisP posted:

Leafs feel and look like they're playing like they were at the start of the season, I approve.

I actually think they're playing slightly better. Offense is back and defensively are a bit more consistent (though still a weakness). Like Stretch was saying, the new lines rolling 4 with solid pressure really has helped. Kapanen was the missing piece!

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
*At Heads on a Swivel, the leading hockey think tank one individual postulates what could be the sports equivalent of a strategic breakthrough.*

So you know how we have, like, two good lines, then one enh line, and then one poo poo line that just goes out while the others are tired?
So what if
What if... all of the lines are good?
Whoa whoa it's just an idea calm down

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

stepniak and rozsival are good ones. any of the old coyotes that made a name elsewhere.

also apparently raanta had to move because of scorpions. how would sami salo have handled this situation.

also charles barkley dropped the puck at the coyotes game which is incredibly funny given how he acts about suns basketball (rightfully so but still)

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Tom Pyatt. I thought that guy busted out the league in like 2012.

Scottie Upshall too. Apparently he's been playing for the Blues the last three seasons. Looking at his career stats I genuinely can't remember him playing for any team since the Coyotes and that was 7 years ago.

Also somehow Matt Stajan is in his 9th season with the Flames. How was the Phaneuf trade 8 years ago?

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Feb 13, 2018

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

Scottie Upshall too. Apparently he's been playing for the Blues the last three seasons. Looking at his career stats I genuinely can't remember him playing for any team since the Coyotes and that was 7 years ago.

He had a stint with the flyers what feels like ages ago

E: lordy, 10 years ago

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

DJExile posted:

He had a stint with the flyers what feels like ages ago

E: lordy, 10 years ago

He actually had a PTO with the Canucks during training camp this year but ended up signing with the Blues. Until I looked him up just now, I had assumed he'd spent the past couple seasons in the AHL or Europe and was looking to make a comeback. I guess not.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

the coyotes traded for chimera during the lockout and traded him before the lockout ended

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

ThinkTank posted:

Upshall did a stint with the CBJ in 2010-11 when Howson decided to be a buyer at the deadline and picked him up with Sami Lepisto for Rusty Klesla and Dane Byers (e- CBJ were like 3 points out of a playoff spot, for context). I thought he'd been acquired a second time in the summer of 2014 until I swiped open the alert I got from the NHL app and saw it was Scott Hartnell.

Useless fun fact- he's one of a handful of players I traded for/acquired in an EA NHL game only to have them actually wind up on the real CBJ later. Nathan Paetsch, Scott Harrington, and Jussi Jokinen are the others.

hifi posted:

the coyotes traded for chimera during the lockout and traded him before the lockout ended

He was traded to Columbus and, at one point, had some sort of iron man streak in terms of consecutive games played for the team. He was later traded to Washington for Chris Clark and Milan Jurcina.

Jurcina was traded back to Washington like two months later.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Feb 13, 2018

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

a false posted:

i bet you could throw one made up name into the list of the current list of rangers defensemen and about 95% of nhl fans wouldn't be able to correctly identify it

Is it Sergey Zborovskiy or Hubert Labrie? Those are both real players on the Wolf Pack

Rangers system is depleted at defense - Hartford has 6 D, Greenville has 5 and has two guys on loan from the SPHL. One of those guys is listed as D/F and his statline in the ECHL is 26GP, 0G, 1A, 60PIM.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Zodijackylite posted:

Is it Sergey Zborovskiy or Hubert Labrie? Those are both real players on the Wolf Pack

Rangers system is depleted at defense - Hartford has 6 D, Greenville has 5 and has two guys on loan from the SPHL. One of those guys is listed as D/F and his statline in the ECHL is 26GP, 0G, 1A, 60PIM.

Hubert Labrie sounds like one of those dudes who put up middling numbers for the Habs during the Original Six Era and made the Hall despite having numbers that are like, sub-Horcoff

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

What the hell is wrong with the Oiler's home PK :psyduck:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

iospace posted:

What the hell is wrong with the Oiler's home PK :psyduck:

What's funny is that Edmonton's PK on the road is one of (if not the) best in the league, while their home PK is the worst in NHL history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
oilers bad

• Locked thread