Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Baron Corbyn posted:

if EVIL looked like SANADA then little Kazu would need to be worried about his spot

Meltzer basically said the same thing a couple of weeks ago. If EVIL had SANADA's body and athletic ability, he'd be unstoppable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
couplea good-rear end fed matches this week, not gonna HM for either of them but

Hideo Itami vs Roderick Strong, 205 Live 2/6 - hotter crowd, a different time, a different place, this is a definite HM. Here, it's still a loving solid match, and at least got the crowd to wake up for the end. Probably Itami's best match in WWE, beating out Itami/Black at TakeOver Brooklyn III. Also probably Roddy's best singles match in WWE? Though I haven't seen Strong/Dunne yet

The Undisputed Era vs SAnitY, NXT 2/7 - Just a good-rear end brawl of a match. Great pacing that keeps this tornado tag feeling as fast as the name implies it should be

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire
Hideo vs Roddy was a 4+ star match in front of an ice cold crowd, so it came off like a 2.5. If that was at a Takeover or in Receda, we’d be at least talking HM.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

mkay0 posted:

Hideo vs Roddy was a 4+ star match in front of an ice cold crowd, so it came off like a 2.5. If that was at a Takeover or in Receda, we’d be at least talking HM.

If it was in Receda, Dave would be talking about how it was better than all 3 Omega/Okada matches.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

reseda

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I post my lucha recs in the lucha thread every few weeks and everybody that probably cares already clicks on that but here's the top 2 from my most recent post. Not necessarily HMs but I guess there's no reason not to post it in here too:

Averno, Chessman, Súper Fly © vs Aerostar, Drago, Raptor vs Angelikal, Bengala, Máscara de Bronce vs Carta Brava Jr., Mocho Cota Jr., Tito Santana [AAA TRIOS] – AAA – 01/26/2018 – GREAT
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/222760866?t=01h25m48s
A match in one of the most classic lucha formats: put a ton of guys out there so they can do all their coolest moves. And wow do they ever. The “story” actually breaks down into the tecnicos teams doing the wildest flips possible while the rudo teams do the most mask ripping possible. Aerostar doesn’t climb the lighting rig in this one but don’t let that stop you from seeing the insane thing he does do.

Psycho Clown vs Rey Escorpión [bull terrier] – AAA – 01/26/2018 – GREAT
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/222760866?t=01h53m04s
This ended up being my favorite match on Guerra de Titanes. A top quality brawl with added humor constructed around how stupid bull terrier/chain/strap matches are with their “touch the corners” rules. The part where Rey Escorpión finally gets the chain on made me laugh harder than anything in wrestling in a long time. And then they bleed a lot all over the place. The finish is a AAA finish, but what can you do.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
MOTYC: The Brian Kendrick vs Shinsuke Nakamura: nL Universe Mode, Smackdown Live Feb 8 2018

Holy poo poo. Absolutely catch this when they throw it up on youtube!

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
veto

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

MOTYC: Open the Dream Gate Championship - Kzy vs. Masaaki Mochizuki, Dragon Gate Korakuen Hall 2/7

What a loving match, Kzy's come a long way from his longtime role as an ugly jobber.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Dimebags Brain posted:

MOTYC: Open the Dream Gate Championship - Kzy vs. Masaaki Mochizuki, Dragon Gate Korakuen Hall 2/7

What a loving match, Kzy's come a long way from his longtime role as an ugly jobber.

2nd. I don't think I've seen too many matches end off the trading pinball attempts spot and it made the end exciting and cool.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Senerio posted:

MOTYC: The Brian Kendrick vs Shinsuke Nakamura: nL Universe Mode, Smackdown Live Feb 8 2018

Holy poo poo. Absolutely catch this when they throw it up on youtube!

2nd

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

HM: Young Bucks vs Best Friends - Honor Reigns Supreme 2-9-18

Chucky and Trent doing the "Deal with it" meme while putting Matt in an abdominal stretch was amazing

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

HM: Ospreay v Takahashi - New Beginning in Osaka 10 Feb 2018

So much fun

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

HM: Will Ospreay (c) vs Hiromu Takahashi for the IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship, New Beginning in Osaka 2018

A lot of fun with lots of great flippy poo poo but it was lacking that certain something to make it MOTYC-level special.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

extradite THIS! posted:

A lot of fun with lots of great flippy poo poo but it was lacking that certain something to make it MOTYC-level special.

Agreed, was great to watch but just lacked that thing that keeps me totally captivated like MOTYC do.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

extradite THIS! posted:

HM: Will Ospreay (c) vs Hiromu Takahashi for the IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship, New Beginning in Osaka 2018

3rd, had all the spots I was hoping for that made me :gonk:

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Gonna 4th that one.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'll add in a 5th, Ospreay and Hiromu are amazing.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Will loves to punish his own body and Hiromu loves to punish his opponent’s body, it was a match made in heaven

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Gonna give a dishonorable mention to Goto vs EVIL at New Beginnings in Osaka 2/10.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

MOTYC: Kazuchika Okada vs SANADA, New Beginning in Okasa

This got so god damned good down the home stretch

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

St Evan Echoes posted:

Agreed

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

St Evan Echoes posted:

yeah!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'll say HM for Okada vs Sanada. The ending was magnificent but most of the match felt like they were struggling with the surprisingly quiet crowd and it hurt it a bit.

But the ending stretch was incredible.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I'll go with a HM as well.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

St Evan Echoes posted:

MOTYC, that was better than the Naito match imo

Actually

MOTYC: Will Ospreay vs. Hiromu Takahashi

too

GEORGE W BUSHI fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Feb 10, 2018

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

St Evan Echoes posted:

Nth. This match won over a crowd that was pretty subdued all night.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
MOTYC for Sanada vs Okada.

Takuan
May 6, 2007

MOTYC: Ospreay vs Hiromu
HM: Okada vs SANADA

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

MOTY: Kazuchika Okada vs SANADA, New Beginning in Osaka

gently caress candidate, this is it. :colbert:

Also gonna give a MOTYC to Ospreay/Hiromu, but fuuuuuuuuck that main was so good.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbfF69obWl4&t=74s
This is the The Brian Kendrick vs Shinsuke Nakamura match that Junpei and I nominated. Absolutely worth a watch!

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

MOTYC: Sanada vs Okada, Hiromu vs Osprea New Beginning in Osaka

Both were so drat good

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Hideo Itami vs Roderick Strong, 205 Live 2/6 - hotter crowd, a different time, a different place, this is a definite HM. Here, it's still a loving solid match, and at least got the crowd to wake up for the end. Probably Itami's best match in WWE, beating out Itami/Black at TakeOver Brooklyn III. Also probably Roddy's best singles match in WWE? Though I haven't seen Strong/Dunne yet

Going to nth this one. Being there live was amazing. I was so sad that the crowd (outside of a small group of us) were just ice cold for this match. In our defense Smackdown was really long, the MMC match was ok, and the video packages between the two matches just really drained the energy from the crowd. Plus a lot of the crowd probably had no idea who Hideo Itami and Rodrick Strong even were (it was a lot of families). At one point some girl screamed out "TIGHTY WHITIES PIN HIM AND GET THIS poo poo OVER WITH!"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah I really wish they'd had a better crowd because the match was real good and Roddy is being a real MVP for WWE at the moment.

I still think the Itami/Black match was better, but that was helped by the crowd being really into it.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

MOTYC: Kenoh (c) vs. Yuko Miyamoto (GHC Heavyweight Championship 2/2 NOAH Navigation for the Future)

Video here. Another great match from NOAH's champ. If you're one of those people who complain about NJPW's matches being overly long then check this out. Less than twenty minutes and very hard hitting.

HM: Naomichi Marufuji vs. Kaito Kiyomiya (same show)

Video. This is a follow up to a match they had last year where Marufuji beat the poo poo out of Kaito for ten minutes. This one is a lot more even and Kaito earns the respect of the veteran. This is honestly more of a recommendation to keep your eyes on Kaito than anything but the match is great. Also it's pretty wild that Kaito's whole deal is wanting to be Misawa when he was like 12 when Misawa died.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

MOTYC: Rush, Soberano Jr. and Mistico vs. Los Hijos del Infernos, CMLL Puebla 2/12/2018

Absolutely standout performance by Rush here. Must-see.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Baron Corbyn posted:

HM: Naomichi Marufuji vs. Kaito Kiyomiya (same show)

Video. This is a follow up to a match they had last year where Marufuji beat the poo poo out of Kaito for ten minutes. This one is a lot more even and Kaito earns the respect of the veteran. This is honestly more of a recommendation to keep your eyes on Kaito than anything but the match is great. Also it's pretty wild that Kaito's whole deal is wanting to be Misawa when he was like 12 when Misawa died.

Thanks for this. By total fluke I happened to catch a docuseries on TV tonight called The Wrestler, and they did a little profile on Kaito (while he traveled around Canada with CFW who were doing shows at indigenous reserves up here) - which btw is a good series worth looking into, it airs on Viceland in Canada and is a project from Damian Abraham (singer for hosed Up)

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

HM: Taichi vs Naito - Jan 23rd

Finally got around to watching and it's the best Taichi singles match I've seen

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

NuclearPotato posted:

MOTYC: Rush, Soberano Jr. and Mistico vs. Los Hijos del Infernos, CMLL Puebla 2/12/2018

Absolutely standout performance by Rush here. Must-see.
Link to the match: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdElAX5ilgE&t=4525s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
HM: Tony Nese vs Drew Gulak, 205 Live 2/13

This was a real good match, that would be a high HM in front of a not dead crowd, but still ekes into HM in my mind for how it played out.