Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

snaeksikn posted:

Dees are gonna go undefeated and lose the grand final imo

Pls no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

https://twitter.com/abcmelbourne/status/961735743847636992

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Peter Gordon brought that up on 774 last week. The AFL came back and said the budget is the same, but the advertising budget was slashed and used to pay the wage increases. Hence the next to zero advertising for the league this year.

Also...
https://twitter.com/aflwomens/status/962895681206738944

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Oh my god people on the main board of Bigfooty are so loving stupid.

There's a dude arguing that Darrel Baldock in the worst legend in the hall of fame based on his statistics and is absolutely oblivious of the fact that Baldock is considering the greatest Tasmanian to play VFL/AFL and is rated higher than bonafide legends like Ian Stewart, Royce Hart & Peter Hudson.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Wait they’re trying to charge money for AFLC tickets? :laffo:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Solemn Sloth posted:

Wait they’re trying to charge money for AFLC tickets? :laffo:

The tickets here were originally $20, and they just dropped them to $10, so I imagine sales are going well

Adelaide has named a high powered AFLX squad, where the only first choice player is Jake Kelly, and beyond that only Cheney, Otten, Hampton, and CEY are recognisable to anyone not a fan.

Meanwhile Collingwood named only 14 players, which is the minimum I believe.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Feb 12, 2018

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

NTRabbit posted:

The tickets here were originally $20, and they just dropped them to $10, so I imagine sales are going well

Adelaide has named a high powered AFLX squad, where the only first choice player is Jake Kelly, and beyond that only Cheney, Otten, Hampton, and CEY are recognisable to anyone not a fan.

Yeah I just got an email offering me a special members deal for $10 tickets, fuuuuuuck thaaaaat

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Adelaide (18-man squad)
7. Jordan Gallucci, 8. Jake Kelly, 17. Curtly Hampton, 19. Jackson Edwards, 22. Andy Otten, 25. Kyle Cheney, 28. Cam Ellis-Yolmen, 31. Patrick Wilson, 34. Elliott Himmelberg, 35. Matthew Signorello, 37. Paul Hunter, 38. Harry Dear, 39. Tom Doedee, 40. Ben Davis, 42. Alex Keath, 43. Reilly O’Brien, 44. Lachie Murphy, 45. Ben Jarman

Collingwood (14-man squad)
11. Jarryd Blair, 14. James Aish, 21. Tom Phillips, 22. Steele Sidebottom, 24. Josh Thomas, 25. Jack Crisp, 28. Nathan Murphy, 29. Tim Broomhead, 32. Will Hoskin-Elliott, 35. Jaidyn Stephenson, 37. Brayden Maynard, 39. Ben Crocker, 40. Josh Smith, 44. Jack Madgen

Fremantle (20-man squad)
2. Griffin Logue, 3. Brandon Matera, 6. Danyle Pearce, 7. Nat Fyfe, 8. Andrew Brayshaw, 9. Bradley Hill, 10. Michael Walters, 11. Tommy Sheridan, 12. Mitchell Crowden, 18. Darcy Tucker, 19. Connor Blakely, 23. Cameron McCarthy, 26. Ed Langdon, 28. Brady Grey, 33. Cameron Sutcliffe, 36. Brennan Cox, 38. Luke Ryan, 41. Bailey Banfield, 42. Stefan Giro, 44. Taylin Duman

Geelong (18-man squad)
3. Brandan Parfitt, 10. Daniel Menzel, 11. Tim Kelly, 12. Wylie Buzza, 13. Lachie Fogarty, 21. Jordan Murdoch, 22. Mitch Duncan, 23. Aaron Black, 24. Jed Bews, 26. Tom Hawkins, 27. Sam Menegola, 31. Jordan Cunico, 32. Gryan Miers, 34. James Parsons, 39. Zach Guthrie, 40. Jackson Thurlow, 44. Tom Stewart, 46. Mark Blicavs

Port Adelaide (19-man squad)
9. Robbie Gray, 12. Trent McKenzie, 13. Todd Marshall, 15. Karl Amon, 17. Tom Clurey, 18. Jimmy Toumpas, 19. Jack Trengove, 23. Jack Watts, 24. Kane Farrell, 26. Riley Bonner, 27. Joel Garner, 29. Jasper Pittard, 32. Dougal Howard, 37. Jake Patmore, 40. Jarrod Lienert, 41. Dom Barry, 43. Dan Houston, 44. Cameron Hewett, 46. Sam Gray

West Coast (15-man squad)
10. Jarrod Brander, 14. Liam Duggan, 18. Daniel Venables, 21. Jack Petruccelle, 22. Hamish Brayshaw, 26. Francis Watson, 28. Tom Cole, 30. Jackson Nelson, 32. Ryan Burrows, 33. Brayden Ainsworth, 35. Josh Rotham, 39. Malcolm Karpany, 43. Matt Allen, 44. Willie Rioli, 45. Jake Waterman

You can tell that West Coast aren't taking it seriously at all with Liam Duggan & Willie Rioli being the most notable players for them. But why the gently caress are teams playing some of their very best players for AFLX? Fyfe & Robbie Gray have absolutely nothing to gain from AFLX

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I will blow up kardinia park myself if they steal mithen and cranston from us

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
The crows have 2 ruckman and a guy coming back from an ACL (CEY) in their squad.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Arden St is getting a $10m refurb for AFLW and VFL/VFLW games.

New changerooms for women and away teams, lights, scoreboard and presumably fencing.

https://twitter.com/NMFCOfficial/status/962915921189851136

This is stage 1. Stage 2 of their plan includes buying/getting the Melbourne City Council to buy like 2 blocks, close a few roads and create a second oval for training and to be used as parkland the rest of the time. All in an area earmarked for heavy redevelopment in the next 5-10 years as Arden station opens with the metro tunnel.

I don't think that second stage will happen when the land required is worth 80m.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Solemn Sloth posted:

I will blow up kardinia park myself if they steal mithen and cranston from us

That's what worries me about the introduction of the victorian expansion teams. They're unlikely to get players like Pearce & Brennan but players like Cranston, Mithen, Hannah Scott & Kirsty Lamb are the backbones that perform week in and week out; they're going to rob the teams of their depth for the new ones.

Couldn't they have just waited like 5 years for the talent pool to fill up before introducing expansion teams?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

drunkill posted:

This is stage 1. Stage 2 of their plan includes buying/getting the Melbourne City Council to buy like 2 blocks, close a few roads and create a second oval for training and to be used as parkland the rest of the time. All in an area earmarked for heavy redevelopment in the next 5-10 years as Arden station opens with the metro tunnel.

I don't think that second stage will happen when the land required is worth 80m.

I can't get behind their long term plan which involves closing down this organisation and replacing it with a training oval :colbert:

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
North are completely insane if they genuinely think that stage 2 plan will ever happen. Please let us have $80m worth of land and also please close the lost dogs home so we can make a football oval lmao. Move to Tasmania.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

realbez posted:

North are completely insane if they genuinely think that stage 2 plan will ever happen. Please let us have $80m worth of land and also please close the lost dogs home so we can make a football oval lmao. Move to Tasmania.

Get the right politician some decent hookers and coke and anything is possible

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

realbez posted:

Yep.

Probably closer to 100m + development costs.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Feb 12, 2018

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

drunkill posted:

Probably closer to 100m maybe.

And a PR battle with an organisation fronted by a fluffy kitten wearing a bow tie

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
That could be negotiated if the council did try to do this, relocated in a new space and they get to use a corner of the new park as an off leash area or something.

But yeah, it won't happen unless North got the AFL to kick in money for it (why would they, it is a training oval not a grandstand etc for events) or somehow raised a lot of money, the council won't do it. Vic Gov might throw in a few bones but they'd probably want to fund other projects and not an inner city park in an area where nobody lives yet before it is redeveloped.

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Let’s not forget who the real power player is here: Correct Accident Repairs (North Melbourne)

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
The park that is currently there is a popular and much used dog park

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Can't wait to see some knees rupture in an absolutely pointless competition before preseason even begins yeehaw!

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

NTRabbit posted:

Meanwhile Collingwood named only 14 players, which is the minimum I believe.

So much for the Crows "playing to win" I guess.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I don't understand why the AFL is choosing to cannibalise AFLW by running AFLX at the same time and cutting its advertising budget to finance AFLX.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

The AFL has approved Hannah Mouncey playing in the VFLW this year, proving beyond all shadow of a doubt that all decision making processes are the sole purview of a magic 8 ball.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

The AFL has approved Hannah Mouncey playing in the VFLW this year, proving beyond all shadow of a doubt that all decision making processes are the sole purview of a magic 8 ball.

The difference is that last time the pending decision was all over the news, now they can sneak it through while everyone is worrying about Barnaby nutting in some sheila

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Solemn Sloth posted:

At least their broken clock of a decision making process gets it right occasionally.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Petracca is basically guaranteed to do a knee in AFLX, probably tom McDonald too. At least Bugg will kill a few opposition players I guess

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Aaron Francis is taking mental health leave

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Testekill posted:

Aaron Francis is taking mental health leave

He's been struggling big time since the death of his brother,. He's also not helped himself by taking advantage of the help offered by the club, but I guess you really need to be in the right headspace to even feel up to seeking help in the first place and maybe he's not there yet.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
In a shocking news Nat Fyfe isn't playing AFLX

http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2018-02-13/fyfe-withdrawn-from-aflx-squad

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Oh no who would have guessed

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Look at how much the Bulldogs care about AFLX

2 Young 19 Webb 20 Richards 26 Gowers 27 Lipinski 28 Porter 30 Greene 33 Naughton 37 Smith 40 Mullenger-McHugh 43 Redpath (C) 44 English

Only player with any sort of experience is Redpath; otherwise it's either rookies (Gowers, Smith, Mullenger-McHugh), players trying to crack the best 22 (Webb) or kids. We didn't even name Campbell as ruckman or Collins at full back.

edit: https://twitter.com/AFLcomau/status/963641205304197122

Testekill fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Feb 14, 2018

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

We've named all the defenders auditioning for the third tall defender spot to replace snake leaver, and appear to have thrown open the medium defender spot to see if someone other than Jake Kelly works better with the replacement. Certainly our squad with a high count of defenders and untried midfielders is made for excitement.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Saints named a 20 man squad for AFLX and I'd expect 10 of them to be best 22 round 1.

I fully expect them all to do ACLs.

Jesus christ. Someone at AFL house is seriously hosed in the head (more than all the other idiots that seem to inhabit that place).

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

What I want to know is why don't they just put effort into promoting AFL 9's if they want a smaller version that can spread internationally.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Harder to claim credit for someone else's idea

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

Testekill posted:

What I want to know is why don't they just put effort into promoting AFL 9's if they want a smaller version that can spread internationally.

afl 9s is bad

aflx may be worse but lets wait and see all of our suspicions confirmed

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
I think there is some AFL 7s thing now too.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
The Feed on SBS got none other than Ricky Nixon on to talk about whether or not Hannah Mouncey should play in the AFLW.

He managed to not only make a bunch of arse backwards about transgender issues and genitals, but also made the argument that the lighter girls, like the Asian ones, might be at risk.

gently caress sake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

monolithburger posted:

The Feed on SBS got none other than Ricky Nixon on to talk about whether or not Hannah Mouncey should play in the AFLW.

He managed to not only make a bunch of arse backwards about transgender issues and genitals, but also made the argument that the lighter girls, like the Asian ones, might be at risk.

gently caress sake.

She wasn't even the best player in the ACT league. I think that VFLW will survive her just fine