Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

In the starter town I get 40fps at 2560x1600, gtx 970 & 8700k. All minimum settings. Seems this game wants something better hardware wise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014

Ihmemies posted:

In the starter town I get 40fps at 2560x1600, gtx 970 & 8700k. All minimum settings. Seems this game wants something better hardware wise.

it wants a computer from 10 years in the future

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Ihmemies posted:

Make sure the game didn't go into borderless fullscreen. For me that knocked the FPS way down. I got ~70-90 FPS with a GTX 1080 and a 8700K at 1440P at high settings in actual full screen, but way less in borderless fullscreen, and it insists on going into borderless fullscreen the second you let your guard down.

Also, forests and some other areas knocked me consistently down to 30-ish FPS. So yeah, it's strangely heavy.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I would not buy this expecting it to get improved / fixed. If you don't want the current euro jank wait it out because these games get abandoned as often as they are fixed.

First town is 40-60 fps at Very High 1440p on a 1070.

Lots of mushy writing so far chewing up time. People were clipping through their clothes at the very start of the game. A restrictive save system is a poor fit for a game with inevitably high levels of jank and bugs.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Thanks, I'll try fullscreen next.

My first experience was getting my rear end handed by that drunk Kunesh? so I ran away. I then tried to steal his (my) axe instead but got caught and sent to jail. I died in jail, game over. Feels like 90's are back!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

ON AIR

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Yeah I managed to beat up the drunk but it was tough. Despite the pop up I don't really understand fighting. Everything felt very sluggish and I just kinda flailed at him no matter what I did. Won by just clicking a lot and ignoring the I'm tired vignette stuff.

I will say some of the art is very good and it definitely sells the atmosphere with the intro and in the village.

FuzzySlippers fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Feb 13, 2018

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The Rapture comes early.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Der Shovel posted:

Make sure the game didn't go into borderless fullscreen. For me that knocked the FPS way down. I got ~70-90 FPS with a GTX 1080 and a 8700K at 1440P at high settings in actual full screen, but way less in borderless fullscreen, and it insists on going into borderless fullscreen the second you let your guard down.

Also, forests and some other areas knocked me consistently down to 30-ish FPS. So yeah, it's strangely heavy.

And be careful adjusting your resolution with full screen borderless because the game has no issues going beyond the actual dimensions of your screen and there is no way to set it baaaack

Games should have a "confirm these settings within 30 seconds" prompt for resolution by law

E. If anyone else does this and have an Nvidia card you can use GeForce's optimization feature to force it back to fullscreen.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Feb 13, 2018

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

RPS posted:

character buffs like “Alpha Male”, which confers a +2 charisma boost when you visit the brothel.

Full review:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/02/13/kingdom-come-deliverance-review/

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game
I was definitely looking forward to this game. Obviously the whole internet went on in worshiping this game. Luckily we goons are a little more skeptical than the average low life redditor.
This game promises a lot if it manages to get fixed a bit and picked up by the modding community. Only the time will tell.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Lol. That's so specific that seems included by the alt-right dude just to piss off SJW.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

There need to be car and gun mods.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

There are a lot of loading screens in this game, christ

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Ihmemies posted:

I doubt it's a well-optimized game, but on the other hand, I'm not surprised a GTX 970 no longer always cuts it when playing on a resolution higher than 1080p.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

I doubt it's a well-optimized game, but on the other hand, I'm not surprised a GTX 970 no longer always cuts it when playing on a resolution higher than 1080p.

Even pubg runs better these days :v:

I'd upgrade but the gpu prices have not been reasonable for a reasonable upgrade. I paid 380€ for this, what can you get for 380€ these days? Nothing. 6GB 1060 is around 350-400€ for 15% difference in performance...

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Feb 13, 2018

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

FuzzySlippers posted:

Yeah I managed to beat up the drunk but it was tough. Despite the pop up I don't really understand fighting. Everything felt very sluggish and I just kinda flailed at him no matter what I did.

I played for 20+ hours and that was pretty much my feeling right until the end. The actual combat experience doesn't seem to match with the tutorials and is extremely frustrating.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So...wait for discount

DrHub
Jun 21, 2012
This game is extremely my poo poo. Its arma in medieval time. :black101:

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Despite this being one of those pc master race games the controls/interface seem very controller based. Is lockpicking pretty much controller only?

The entire interface is stupidly similar to Oblivion which is crazy because everyone hated that one and Bethesda managed to improve it at least a little with Skyrim. It's a big blocky awkward thing which has some nice style touches but isn't great to use especially with all the RPG bits.

The details are amazing though. Robard chill out and tell me about your sweet rear end clothing and wallpaper.

FuzzySlippers fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Feb 13, 2018

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I'm not overly impressed but I'm not unimpressed either. The story seems pretty good, at least at the start, and they seem to have changed a few small complaints at least.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Ihmemies posted:

Even pubg runs better these days :v:

I'd upgrade but the gpu prices have not been reasonable for a reasonable upgrade. I paid 380€ for this, what can you get for 380€ these days? Nothing. 6GB 1060 is around 350-400€ for 15% difference in performance...

I got a GTX 1070 (combined with an i7-6700k) for not much more almost two years ago, and I'm very satisfied with it. But as I understand, real prices have actually increased since then, due to the dumb Bitcoin craze.

What I'd do in your situation is turn down your resolution to something with the same aspect ratio, I'd say you have some margin there.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Reading the RPS review I can't help but feel that The Witcher 3 has rather spoiled us when it comes to this genre.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

So far the game runs pretty well on my 6 year old PC and it seems pretty great. Combat is a bit janky but it's better than Skyrim of course. Game design is somewhat old school 'gently caress you get better' but I like what I've seen so far. It definitely won't appeal to everyone so middle scores from reviewers seems fair, but overall it's a good first impression.

Small prologue spoiler when you get to the part where you have to get a horse and ride to Tamberg, it looks like you can try to save the people in the house. I just stole a horse and rode off but a conversation later made it seem like you could have saved the people from the Cumans, so give it a shot I guess.

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
This game doesn’t even have interesting writing to hold up the terrible gameplay

this is garbage

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
Rockpapershotgun review added to OP.

Modders, give us a quicksave option or unlimited saviour's schnapps please.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

bees everywhere posted:

Small prologue spoiler when you get to the part where you have to get a horse and ride to Tamberg, it looks like you can try to save the people in the house. I just stole a horse and rode off but a conversation later made it seem like you could have saved the people from the Cumans, so give it a shot I guess.

I think its pretty much impossible to fight those dudes, but if you run up and hit one of them the lady runs off and you can then flee and that counts as saving them

The plot beats aren't bad but further you get from the main plot the more the dialogue sucks and it just goes on too long.

I also hate the dialogue interface / framing. Walk up to dirty peasant, hit talk, slow fade to my dude's ugly mug, pick an option, fade over to wonky mocap acting, fade back to ugly mug, etc. It's too sluggish for how often the dialogue doesn't have much interesting to say.

FuzzySlippers fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Feb 13, 2018

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014
anyone else planning on doing a white genocide playthrough?

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

This is the kind of game you watch a streamer play, and laugh at the jank without the irritation or spending money.

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014

Double Bill posted:

This is the kind of game you watch a streamer play, and laugh at the jank without the irritation or spending money.

i have it on good authority this game is free for soyboys and sjws

maninthesuit
Jul 13, 2017
100 minutes in and still in the prologue I think. Dad sent me off to get money from a drunk who hasn't paid up in months. Now despite me setting up Henry as the silver-tongued (by level 1 peasant standards) charmer, I failed to get any money. So I needed to look for other ways. During the conversation Henry had threatened the guy by informing the bailiff of his debts so I went looking for a guard, any guard, to talk to. Well they weren't talkative so my plan B involved stealing the stuff the drunk hadn't paid for, selling it off, then use the money to get the stuff dad wanted me to buy.

But curses, a locked chest and no way to open it. Well, one of Henry's friends might know what to do, but I told them off earlier because frankly, Henry's friends seem pretty unpleasant and he can do better. Plan C involved selling the herbs I'd picked on a whim but those were so cheap that Henry wouldn't even offer them up for trade. My plan D was to sell the clothes I was wearing but that seemed a bit desperate so I went with plan E first. Gambling. I grabbed one of the drunk's things which he'd left outside the house, sold it, then gambled my earnings into more money. I have to say, flailing about and improvising was far more amusing than just winning a speech-check and getting a bag of coin would have been.

After I finished dad's chores, the plot started. I'll spoiler it, but if you've paid attention to some of the trailers or just know videogame story 101, you can probably guess the broad strokes of what happens. An army shows up and gets down to raping, pillaging and burning. The horse chase was quite tense, with Henry bleeding out and the guys after him being all too willing to put some more arrows in your back if you slow down. Which sinks your health like a stone and reduces your stamina so you can't run all-out as long, meaning you have to slow down even more so more arrows etc. If a cutscene hadn't happened when I saw my destination in the distance, I don't think I would have made it. The horse-speed controls are a bit awkward in my opinion though. I would have preferred a separate button for galloping instead of double-tap.

bees everywhere posted:

I did that. I figured you were supposed to just keep running, because single unarmoured peasant who can't even kill a stick versus three armoured soldiers? I wasn't going to put any odds on succeeding but I had alcohol so I decided to give plan stupid a go. I ran up to them, bonked one on the head once (didn't seem to hurt him at all), then bravely ran away to the nearest horse and then onward to the hills. Going by Henry's bragging later, it seemed to be enough. Turned out to be not as hard as I thought it would be, fumbling with trying to get on a horse aside.

Current verdict. The mud and grass looks pretty as hell, amusing gameplay if you're willing to step outside the box a bit. Of course, I've only played the first area which can be expected to be one of the most polished sections of the game to entice people to keep playing instead of getting a refund, so I'll have to see if it keeps up. For one thing, Henry actually has a past so when you talk with one of the locals (only a few actually let you into a conversation. Most just tell you to stop bumping into them), you get some banter and ribbing that tells you that yes, Henry and those two guards at the gates are drinking buddies. One cutscene in particular really impressed me. In it a guy tells Henry to go a certain way. Now because said guy is on top of a castle-wall, he's little more than a blurry speck on the screen. Yet the animators still had him wave in the direction he wants Henry to go. It's a nice little touch. Conversations outside of a cutscene look far more stilted however, with more generic animations. Also, every cutscene ends with a black loading screen. And since cutscenes can start in the middle of regular dialogue, then go back to said dialogue after its over, it breaks the flow of the scene.

Downsides are restricting saves to a consumable which for a compulsive quick-saver like me is frustrating. Combat targeting is awkward with a mouse. I haven't tried a controller yet, but I feel like a thumb-stick will be much more intuitive here. Also every time you pick a herb, Henry goes into a third-person animation. Once is fine, but if you're trying to fill your bags, it soon starts to take too long to watch him bend down every single time. Overall, I have the feeling that the developers went heavy on clunky mechanics for the sake of REALISM. Food, sleep, can't save whenever you want. That alone means this game is not suited for people who prefer a more streamlined experience. If potentially frustrating busywork clunk is your thing however, you'll have a better time at dealing with it. Oh, and changing graphics-options led to a very long black loading screen, as if it was rebooting the whole game. All I did was turn off motion-blur.

I can't really judge combat yet. The sword-tutorial wasn't enough to get a good verdict as it didn't teach me about blocking and Henry in the early game is definitely set up as someone who barely knows which end of a sword to hold. I also chose not to do any of the things that might have led to a brawl so Henry and instructor banging sticks together for three minutes is all the combat experience I have.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Looks like it is really buggy right now from a few reviews on top of the jank. Still looks good I will probably wait for a sale.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Ihmemies posted:

Insert 12 year old Crysis / NASA supercomputer joke here.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I guess I am hosed with my GTX770. I suppose I should upgrade. It's only been four years.

What's a good sweet spot given how screwed GPU prices are? Apparently I have plenty of time since I still don't have a loving key.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I guess I am hosed with my GTX770. I suppose I should upgrade. It's only been four years.

What's a good sweet spot given how screwed GPU prices are? Apparently I have plenty of time since I still don't have a loving key.

Wait for the 11-series to come out unless you enjoy paying insane price inflation because a hero has not rose amongst us to Punisher all the coin miners.

Skoll fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Feb 13, 2018

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Skoll posted:

Wait for the 11-series to come out unless you enjoy paying insane price inflation because a zero has not rose amongst us to Punisher all the coin miners.

I will probably end up waiting a bit for them to patch up their game anyway based on everything I am hearing.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I kind of wish devs would stop using Cryengine for these types of games, regardless.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Skoll posted:

I kind of wish devs would stop using Cryengine for these types of games, regardless.

These guys fell into the same trap as Star Citizen, since at the time they started development UE wasn't as good an option. At least this game didn't try to make the engine do something it was never designed for.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

The subreddit is currently a masterclass of rationalisations and moved goalposts, it reminds me of happy times in the andromeda thread :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mem
Sep 1, 2005
Still in the prologue but I'm enjoying it so far.

My laptop is running on very high settings with full draw distance and it's mid 40s + fps wise at 1080p (gtx 980). It was getting around 30 fps with everything maxed on ultra. I think ssd is probably the biggest game changer, conversations load instant versus the stream I was watching where the guy was getting the loading icon quite a bit. That would get old quick.