Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
except me. my city now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
for the longest time I would get bleedman and shadman mixed up

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

for the longest time I would get bleedman and shadman mixed up

Not that much of diff, tbf.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

FunkyAl posted:

Computers are bad for kid's eyes and books aren't expecially! and the refresh rates on monitors make computers are both distracting and hard to look at for extended periods because it's like...a flashing light, the fascinating thing we all like to look at. It aint rocket science its just one of the other kinds, of science, and it doesnt have to be your or your hypothetical childrens death sentence its just something to watch out for, and not everyone on earth is gonna be attentive about this so that's just something else to consider. The elsa videos are weird because they're more about color training and repetitive hypnotic patterns than than like if a kid watched a movie with the f word or stabbing or boobies in it.

who was arguing this?

non-CRTs aren't "flashing" any more than standard office lighting at worst, and there's no terrible hypnotic effect associated with staring at the walls of office buildings. Computers are addictive 'cause they're Skinner boxes and everything on them that isn't solely intended as a work tool for professionals was designed at great length and expense to foster compulsive interaction for tiny incremental rewards, forever. The closest a book can really get is ending every chapter on a cliffhanger. Your kids will be fine so long as you restrict them to Excel and QCAD and absolutely never let them get an internet connection.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Feb 12, 2018

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

FunkyAl posted:

Computers are bad for kid's eyes and books aren't expecially! and the refresh rates on monitors make computers are both distracting and hard to look at for extended periods because it's like...a flashing light, the fascinating thing we all like to look at.
How about an e-reader like the Nook or Kindle

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Until your child matures around eight or so they shouldn't use computers or tvs. Or books. Or houses.

They should be under the watchful tutelage of a survivor expert and learn how to kill and scavenge so they'll be ready for the nuclear climate hosed environment they will come into adulthood in. Anything else is abuse and bad parenting.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Standard office lighting is actually really bad for sleep schedules isnt it?

I was so much happier once I moved out of an office that used cheap flourescents because the constant strobing was irritating.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

GlyphGryph posted:

Standard office lighting is actually really bad for sleep schedules isnt it?

I was so much happier once I moved out of an office that used cheap flourescents because the constant strobing was irritating.

to be clear the worst fluorescents you'd find in an actual screen cycle quite a lot faster than a standard AC-powered office light, and a normal one has an order of magnitude faster frequency than the defective lights where you can actually see and be bothered by the flicker. LED light is totally consistent. Fluorescent lighting almost certainly isn't a great substitute for sunlight, it's got a super hosed up spectrum and sitting in the dark staring at things right up in front of your face all day is gonna gently caress with you, but you're not getting subliminally hypnotized by the wrong kind of lightbulb and it doesn't particularly matter whether you're inside all day staring at paper or a computer.

back when I was a kid the same people were yelling PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY at anyone suggesting cigarette companies were bad news, which is why I look cool as hell and kids these days are a bunch of nerds

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Feb 12, 2018

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
In my time as a child, there was television, which was engineered to keep my dumb rear end glued to it all drat day by experts whose job it is to plan content in a way that does this to a dumb kid like 99.99% of the time, and I wanted to stay glued to it all drat day because like c'mon, Nickelodeon and poo poo, but my parents didn't let me. This is different from tablet games and the internet today because,

EDIT: The point is, if you let your children use the internet and read webcomics, they will become webcomic authors. Please do the responsible thing and (gently!!) place any and all children in a dense thicket so they may be taught the ways of the world by woodland critters.

Fortis fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Feb 12, 2018

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

World Famous W posted:

Until your child matures around eight or so they shouldn't use computers or tvs. Or books. Or houses.

They should be under the watchful tutelage of a survivor expert and learn how to kill and scavenge so they'll be ready for the nuclear climate hosed environment they will come into adulthood in. Anything else is abuse and bad parenting.

What good is that training when nobody yet knows how to dress a turbo radiation deer

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Fortis posted:

In my time as a child, there was television, which was engineered to keep my dumb rear end glued to it all drat day by experts whose job it is to plan content in a way that does this to a dumb kid like 99.99% of the time, and I wanted to stay glued to it all drat day because like c'mon, Nickelodeon and poo poo, but my parents didn't let me. This is different from tablet games and the internet today because,

EDIT: The point is, if you let your children use the internet and read webcomics, they will become webcomic authors. Please do the responsible thing and (gently!!) place any and all children in a dense thicket so they may be taught the ways of the world by woodland critters.

Nickelodeon came with an expectation of curation that the internet really lacks. Nowhere on the internet is safe in the way a book or even a purchased video game is.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Fortis posted:

You can't carry a TV around with you 24/7 and use it between classes, while you're on the bus, when you're in bed. I'm not saying that phones are the devil, but cell phones are a way bigger part of a kid's life than TV ever was.

Niton posted:

Nickelodeon came with an expectation of curation that the internet really lacks. Nowhere on the internet is safe in the way a book or even a purchased video game is.
Also this.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/average-american-watches-5-hours-tv-day-article-1.1711954

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Niton posted:

Elysiume posted:

You can't carry a TV around with you 24/7 and use it between classes, while you're on the bus, when you're in bed. I'm not saying that phones are the devil, but cell phones are a way bigger part of a kid's life than TV ever was.

Yeah but I can't remember a time before I was like 10 that my parents weren't at least listening to what sounds were coming out of the TV while I was watching it. Frequently they were in the room. They were monitoring everything and restricted my screen time. I wasn't allowed to have a Game Boy until I was 12, and then I was immediately banned from taking it to school due to An Incident. As a 33 year old technology-dependent weirdo, I don't understand how you could willingly give a kid a smart phone until they're like 14. I understand a phone for a kid, I don't understand giving them one that's any fun. It's for emergencies, drat it!!

And I get no one's arguing against good parenting, but I'm seeing a lot of talk like computers and smartphones are THAT far removed from TV and video games, which they aren't, in a very basic sense. They're natural evolutions of things we have proven ways of mitigating the harmful effects of on children. Maybe pretty much everyone has, in fact, been saying that it is more important now than ever for parents to monitor their kids' screen time and put sensible limits on how many pregnant spider elsa videos they can watch, but the poo poo about the flicker of monitors affecting kids and poo poo was getting on my nerves so I was goofin' on it.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Fortis posted:

And I get no one's arguing against good parenting, but I'm seeing a lot of talk like computers and smartphones are THAT far removed from TV and video games, which they aren't, in a very basic sense.

It's more a question of quantity than of quality here I think. Back then, most homes didn't have individual TVs for each family members so at some points the adults wanted to hog it to watch ultra-boring stuff like the weather broadcast. Also none of it was on-demand so there was a time for cartoons and then the cartoons were over. Whereas now there are plenty of families where there are enough smartphones and tablets that everybody might be looking at their own screen.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

back in my day my parents were accomplished cooks and I was working landscaping jobs from about age 14 onward ergo childhood obesity isn't actually a problem

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Its about boredom and the lack thereof. Even rich kids had to deal with long stretches of boredom where they weren't engaged by anything except their own thoughts and maybe a book or a magazine. Now kids never have to unplug except during class.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Jackard posted:

How about an e-reader like the Nook or Kindle

I'm excited for the future development of this technology! They're releasing devices with color e-ink screens this year and I predict we'll all be using those kinda displays in ten years, barring of course the possibility that we'll all be dust bowl era soylent farmers praying to god to get equitably drafted into the next iteration/continuation of the great war so that our families will be legally allowed to lease livestock from the amazon store

Fortis posted:

And I get no one's arguing against good parenting, but I'm seeing a lot of talk like computers and smartphones are THAT far removed from TV and video games, which they aren't, in a very basic sense. They're natural evolutions of things we have proven ways of mitigating the harmful effects of on children. Maybe pretty much everyone has, in fact, been saying that it is more important now than ever for parents to monitor their kids' screen time and put sensible limits on how many pregnant spider elsa videos they can watch, but the poo poo about the flicker of monitors affecting kids and poo poo was getting on my nerves so I was goofin' on it.

I don't think we've yet mitigated the effects TV has on kids, or adults, yet, either. I know we're all used to it, but Broadcast Media is suspicious in both its concept and application and I do not think it has a positive effect on society as a whole.

If I have kids I am going to only take them to live vaudeville shows run by the real shabby, untrustworthy adults in my community. it's the only way!

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Cat Mattress posted:

It's more a question of quantity than of quality here I think. Back then, most homes didn't have individual TVs for each family members so at some points the adults wanted to hog it to watch ultra-boring stuff like the weather broadcast. Also none of it was on-demand so there was a time for cartoons and then the cartoons were over. Whereas now there are plenty of families where there are enough smartphones and tablets that everybody might be looking at their own screen.

I admit I didn't consider the quantity of devices that can exist in any given household, it was definitely A Different Thing in the 1990s, which I continue to raspily insist was "not THAT long ago" as I become dust and blow away in wind.

I also have to admit that I didn't really give enough critical thought to the concept of children having unrestricted YouTube/Netflix/Hulu access until just now and all I can say is, "gently caress."

Edit: We can't get rid of the internet yet though, I haven't finished my webcomic.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

FunkyAl posted:

I'm excited for the future development of this technology! They're releasing devices with color e-ink screens this year and I predict we'll all be using those kinda displays in ten years, barring of course the possibility that we'll all be dust bowl era soylent farmers praying to god to get equitably drafted into the next iteration/continuation of the great war so that our families will be legally allowed to lease livestock from the amazon store
Oh sweet. I bought a Nook when those first appeared, but it can't read PDFs. Also picked up a used Kindle Fire recently, but that's more like a crappy tablet

Jackard fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Feb 13, 2018

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Fortis posted:

Yeah but I can't remember a time before I was like 10 that my parents weren't at least listening to what sounds were coming out of the TV while I was watching it. Frequently they were in the room. They were monitoring everything and restricted my screen time. I wasn't allowed to have a Game Boy until I was 12, and then I was immediately banned from taking it to school due to An Incident. As a 33 year old technology-dependent weirdo, I don't understand how you could willingly give a kid a smart phone until they're like 14. I understand a phone for a kid, I don't understand giving them one that's any fun. It's for emergencies, drat it!!

It's still a curation issue, though! With Nickelodeon, parents have a reasonable expectation of what might be coming up next, so they can do other things while listening in, and be 100% sure that there's nothing crazy about to happen. Youtube can (and frequently does) serve videos that are completely inappropriate because they share names and/or demographics with an innocuous one.

It's almost impossible to solve unless you want to solve it, and Youtube has shown no interest in doing so. Parenting in the digital age is quickly becoming about making sure that you and your children are the consumer, rather than the product - never let your children interact with media that you're not specifically paying for, or you risk being the (accidental) victim of people trying to make a quick buck.

..man, this future sucks.

Niton fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Feb 13, 2018

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Anyone else reading Ava’s demon? I just caught up and it seems pretty cool! Just wish I had a way to conveniently slow down gifs so I can actually try to figure out what’s happening in the newest pages though.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
The implication seems to be that Nevy and Wrathia had a childhood thing but then Wrathia got amped up on absolute power and royalty, Kill Six Billion Demons-style, and ended it. Pedri was original adjunct/confidant to Nevy (telescope panel) and maybe they tried to kill Wrathia (knives panel) but Wrathia got wise/jealous and seduced him away (fawning Pedri panel). Wrathia is still terrible always basically.

Ava's Demon is beautiful but we're years in and haven't the characters been traveling for like a week?

Pierson fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Feb 13, 2018

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Like, three days.

Day one: school gets attacked, protagonists flee, crash on forest world.
Day two: recuperate on forest world.
Day three: go to titanworld, melt titanworld.

It's a creative story, but the protagonists are so diverse in their motivations that I'm not expecting it to have a clear story path.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I mean that isn't a bad thing but the single-panel method of telling a story AD has gives the entire thing a really weird sense of things happening but no time passing. I can't really think of how to describe it but a decent comparison I can make is Check! Please which also kind of does a similar thing of releasing in episodic batches of panels/minipages, but that comic has solid things and progress happening in it. AD meanwhile feels like a bunch of stuff has happened but they've barely made headway besides "assemble protagonists" and "Titan is bad". Just finally kind-of sorta maybe all of them finally becoming aware they're all in pacts has taken 1800+ pages when it's been teased for years. Ava literally told Maggie "we are both in Pacts" at panel 900 or so.

I enjoy reading AD but I'm not convinced it's good. Dunno how else to put it.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Wait how long has this been running? I didn’t realize it moved so slowly. Now that I think about it, the story seems fine when I was marathoning but it did have a lot of pages to get through what I feel like is still an introduction phase. Oh well I guess that’s slow rear end webcomic pacing for you

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Xun posted:

Anyone else reading Ava’s demon? I just caught up and it seems pretty cool! Just wish I had a way to conveniently slow down gifs so I can actually try to figure out what’s happening in the newest pages though.

Here are the frames in a more convenient static format.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Xun posted:

Wait how long has this been running? I didn’t realize it moved so slowly. Now that I think about it, the story seems fine when I was marathoning but it did have a lot of pages to get through what I feel like is still an introduction phase. Oh well I guess that’s slow rear end webcomic pacing for you
Three or four years at this point I think?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Cat Mattress posted:

Here are the frames in a more convenient static format.

Pierson posted:

The implication seems to be that Nevy and Wrathia had a childhood thing but then Wrathia got amped up on absolute power and royalty, Kill Six Billion Demons-style, and ended it. Pedri was original adjunct/confidant to Nevy (telescope panel) and maybe they tried to kill Wrathia (knives panel) but Wrathia got wise/jealous and seduced him away (fawning Pedri panel). Wrathia is still terrible always basically.

Thanks for the static images. I do wonder how much of Wrathia's and Nevy's memories/stories are true. Both seem to be quite good at self-delusion, and Pedri doesn't seem in any hurry to contact Wrathia, so I doubt their relationship was quite a peaceful as either of these two think it was.

edit: Is Pedri wearing the skull of the thing in the knives panel?

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Feb 13, 2018

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Bobulus posted:

Like, three days.

Day one: school gets attacked, protagonists flee, crash on forest world.
Day two: recuperate on forest world.
Day three: go to titanworld, melt titanworld.

It's a creative story, but the protagonists are so diverse in their motivations that I'm not expecting it to have a clear story path.

For a second, I thought you were talking about Paranatural there.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
My favorite thing about Ava's Demon is that Ava just murdered lots and lots of people.

I mean, it's a terrible thing to do, but so many stories would have pulled away from the consequences of that and had everybody miraculously survive.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
most recent backlash:

quote:

Gee, Billy, how come you get to have Eustal’s phone number?

eustal is basically an international demon crime kingpin so actually yes i am curious as to how he's on mutually shared phone contact basis w billy here :v:

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Pierson posted:

I mean that isn't a bad thing but the single-panel method of telling a story AD has gives the entire thing a really weird sense of things happening but no time passing. I can't really think of how to describe it but a decent comparison I can make is Check! Please which also kind of does a similar thing of releasing in episodic batches of panels/minipages, but that comic has solid things and progress happening in it. AD meanwhile feels like a bunch of stuff has happened but they've barely made headway besides "assemble protagonists" and "Titan is bad". Just finally kind-of sorta maybe all of them finally becoming aware they're all in pacts has taken 1800+ pages when it's been teased for years. Ava literally told Maggie "we are both in Pacts" at panel 900 or so.

I enjoy reading AD but I'm not convinced it's good. Dunno how else to put it.

1800 panels is a bit closer than 1800 pages since it's basically a very long storyboard. Given an average of 5 panels per page, it'd be about 360 pages.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I've given up reading Ava's Demon because of the update delays and schedule. I'll read it when (if) it is finished. Not holding my breath.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Are some people still remembering Octopus Pie? It's author has started with a new project a point and click adventure game called Perfect Tides

If you liked that comic and want to see more like it (and/or if you like adventure games), I suggest you go click on that kickstarter-link and help out, it's 14 days until the kickstarter ends and Meredith Gran is painfully, heartbreakingly close to the goal but could still fail it.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
90% with 14 days left is a guaranteed green light.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Typical Pubbie posted:

90% with 14 days left is a guaranteed green light.

I highly doubt that, not with such a small-scale project.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Tollymain posted:

most recent backlash:

eustal is basically an international demon crime kingpin so actually yes i am curious as to how he's on mutually shared phone contact basis w billy here :v:

This is a fun read! Lots of cool character designs; Betty is currently my favorite.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Libluini posted:

I highly doubt that, not with such a small-scale project.

Nah, it's incredibly uncommon for Kickstarters to get that far in their first two weeks and fail. Most projects have a big influx at the start, then drop down for a few weeks before spiking again in the last couple days. The rare few that make it to 50% and don't succeed are usually smaller creators who don't have the networking or pull of someone like Meredith Gran; they exhaust their reader pool, and can't draw in enough new blood to finish things. Even though this an entirely new thing for her (also, she's never done a Kickstarter before), she's got a big enough fanbase to pull it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Is the Ava's Demon Titan lady supposed to be Dresden Kojak because lol