Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
1080ti, 1440p, high settings, first town was 75-90 fps. Haven't run in to any weird stuff yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Does anyone else suspect that Henry looks strangely like one of the members of the development team?

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I guess I am hosed with my GTX770. I suppose I should upgrade. It's only been four years.

What's a good sweet spot given how screwed GPU prices are? Apparently I have plenty of time since I still don't have a loving key.

Don't buy a GPU now. For what I paid for my 1080 half a year ago you'll be very lucky to get a 1070 now, it's ridiculous.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Haha, literal blue screen "your PC ran into an error and needs to restart" the instant I tell Steam to run the game

Magical

edit: now it's redownloading the entire game again

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Feb 13, 2018

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

goty of all years?

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Does anyone else suspect that Henry looks strangely like one of the members of the development team?

They motion captured the face and behaviour of actor Tom McKay for Henry.

Updated the OP with more goon opinions.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

From the streams I'm watching the game is pretty funny. You can group up with your 3 hooligan buddies and beat up an old man for his stuff. goty

Hope I can get it later.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah I watched a stream of the german quest and I loved it. Bought it I scantly.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Seems the game is back to preorder status on Steam. That's something I've never seen before.
I thought it maybe had something to do with the first patch but that was supposedly baked into the preload.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
After PMing the community team they fixed my account. Downloading now so I can enjoy a slideshow later.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What's a good sweet spot given how screwed GPU prices are? Apparently I have plenty of time since I still don't have a loving key.

Don't buy a GPU right now. Bitcoin idiots have pushed prices up to insane levels and it's not even remotely worth it right now. You'll literally pay double MRP in many cases.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'm glad they let you save Theresa from being raped. I ran up behind one and smacked him in the head and she ran off, and I got a quest complete (optional) thing so I guess its a real thing. I tried and stand and fight against the guy that follows you immediately and he was like an expert swordsman who killed me in like 2 moves

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Phi230 posted:

I'm glad they let you save Theresa from being raped. I ran up behind one and smacked him in the head and she ran off, and I got a quest complete (optional) thing so I guess its a real thing. I tried and stand and fight against the guy that follows you immediately and he was like an expert swordsman who killed me in like 2 moves

heh, i like that. thats cool.

Jusupov posted:

goty of all years?

a true goon trait.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

If you have an nVidia card, the game supports Ansel. Press ALT-F2 to enable it at any point in the game, after which you can move the camera freely and apply all kinds of filters to make gorgeous screenshots.

Alternatively, you can accidentally clip the camera inside a random villager and get this:

Some random villager's head from the inside, and the view from inside his (or her?) torso, looking up at the head.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Der Shovel posted:

Some random villager's head from the inside, and the view from inside his (or her?) torso, looking up at the head.

Bah. I was hoping they had a historically modeled Bohemian anus for each character.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
How do I go through doorways? Trying to do some quest and even when open the door seems to still be there

Also geez how hard is it to lockpick in this game. Three tries and your lockpick breaks so you can barely even practice it

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Took me forever to figure out you can't swing with a gamepad without locking on. Mouse has no such problems.

Still a fun game.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Combat is not nearly as bad as I was expecting. It's actually kinda fun, but hard as helk

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
Im a few hours in and enjoying it. Matching most others, it’s jank but I’m having fun. It could use some patches and mods. For my $40, I’m satisfied

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Scott Forstall posted:

Im a few hours in and enjoying it. Matching most others, it’s jank but I’m having fun. It could use some patches and mods. For my $40, I’m satisfied

Where did you find it for 40

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Nthing the opinion that it’s often dumb, and occasionally goes beyond “jank” toward frustrating/broken.

That said, there is something here - they’re doing a decent job with broad story and context, the combat is weird, but more engaging than, say, what Bethesda does. I’m enjoying it. Maybe I’ll hit a point where it turns me off with its problems but I don’t regret buying it.

I think if you can see past the turd layer covering the hidden gold in most Piranha Bytes RPGs you’ll enjoy this ok.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
holy poo poo i cant believe this oblivion mod is $60 loving dollars

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Thread title spotted

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

KyloWinter posted:

Where did you find it for 40

Cdkeys, a few days ago. Not sure if the price has gone up though. Certainly better than the $60 I was going to pay for DW9, up until this past weekend when early impressions did not seem promising.

I have a few level points to use but I'm not sure what I want to go with. I want to use speech as much as possible. I've passed all but one speech check at this point when I said I wanted to go back home to bury my parents.

How do I learn to read? I like that sitting in a pub near a window gives you a reading boost.

Scott Forstall fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Feb 13, 2018

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Scott Forstall posted:

Cdkeys, a few days ago. Not sure if the price has gone up though. Certainly better than the $60 I was going to pay for DW9, up until this past weekend when early impressions did not seem promising.

I have a few level points to use but I'm not sure what I want to go with. I want to use speech as much as possible. I've passed all but one speech check at this point when I said I wanted to go back home to bury my parents.

How do I learn to read? I like that sitting in a pub near a window gives you a reading boost.

So does a latrine

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Scott Forstall posted:

Certainly better than the $60 I was going to pay for DW9, up until this past weekend when early impressions did not seem promising.
Unless you absolutely can't stand Sterling then watch this thing. Jesus fecking Christ.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fE12Z9YJJtg

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Doorknob Slobber posted:

This needs to be the thread title.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i cant stand Sterling

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Jim "nazi outfit" Sterling

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

corn in the bible posted:

Jim "nazi outfit" Sterling

I guess he changed to a carnival barker circus theme thing some time before the whole Nazis being a thing in the news again started up

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Woah guys, let me tell you about my hot takes on a youtube reviewer.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Imagine what jim sterling smells like

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Nah, imagine what Sterdust smells like after one of his wrestling shows.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I thought you guys were dissing Raheem Sterling.

Is there a good YouTube review/overview out at this point?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
This was $40ish bucks in my country, it's pretty rough. The combat system and the animations feel like they'd started designing everything for VR and then when they realized that most people don't have VR said gently caress it and just pushed it out as it stands.

I also love that the game told me speech was an option so I chose it as one of my starting stats, then trolled my by making me fail my first speech check against the drunk. Well played, game. At least I was able to beat him down the third time I tried.

I figure if I made it through Elex's first ten hours I can make it through this. Though that game did promise me laser weapons...

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
So is speech a poo poo stat then? Pump strumph?

edit: is there an agreed upon good build or not yet?

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Feb 13, 2018

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Jusupov posted:

How do I go through doorways? Trying to do some quest and even when open the door seems to still be there

Congrats, you ran into the same bug I ran into several times. If you're outside, just leave and come back later to try again. If you're inside... well, hope you saved recently.

(sometimes you can kinda kludge your way through the doorway by closing it, then as you open it again, just keep pressing down W. If that doesn't work, try to kinda flail your mouse around as you walk into the doorway, and sometimes you'll find the magical angle that will let you through. But not nearly every time. poo poo sucks.)

Scott Forstall posted:

Find a scribe and pay them. I think it costs 50 money for a basic lesson. Reading is kinda neat, because when your skill isn't too high yet, the letters in the words are all scrambled and it's up to you as the player t decipher what they mean.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Feb 13, 2018

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

So is speech a poo poo stat then? Pump strumph?

People are apparently failing the first speech check, doesn't mean it's useless for the rest of the game.

I'd be tempted to put points into it, but I don't want to get wrecked during combat

Der Shovel posted:

Congrats, you ran into the same bug I ran into several times. If you're outside, just leave and come back later to try again. If you're inside... well, hope you saved recently.

lol and now I remember why I'm waiting for the first round of patches to hit

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Your speech is modified by things such as:

Your reputation

Your appearance (You will fail tests if you are dirty or bloody)

The disposition of the target

You will always fail w Kunesh. Either beat his rear end, stealth knock him out, or break intok his house and steal the stuff, or pick pocket him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mem
Sep 1, 2005
Aside from an occasional animation glitch the only issue I have had is Henry has hell of problems getting up certain staircases. I didnt encounter this till i was out of the prologue.

Combat is fun and I haven't really had any issues except for the final fight of the prologue where I got my rear end handed to me. I think that's supposed to happen. Enemies go down pretty quick once you start using feints, dodges, and timed blocks. I'm pretty terrible at the archery through.