Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Responding to fishmech in a self-driving car derail: not even once!

I read the Justine Musk interview; it sounds like a marriage that was under an enormous amount of pressure with the death of their first child and Musk running three companies and Justine getting bored and never seeing him. It's not surprising that she felt pressured to abandon her career and become a trophy wife, especially with five young kids, and it's not surprising that neither of them were happy in the relationship, and it's not surprising that he divorced her, and it's not surprising either that he married a much younger woman.

It's not surprising that his second wife divorced him after a rocky relationship.

Just seeing him in public it's clear that he's not very good with people in general. He's also a posh expatriate from a deeply weird country who got very rich very quickly. I don't doubt he's got a laundry list of character flaws.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Feb 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Self-driving cars will be as revolutionary and massively successful as the Segway was for walking: discuss.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

Weatherman posted:

Self-driving cars will be as revolutionary and massively successful as the Segway was for walking: discuss.

When will we get self driving Segways? Thats what society really needs.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Blut posted:

https://youtu.be/tH69LiVibWE

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Blut posted:

Boring, wake me up when we have self driving segways tagging up poo poo with dot matrix street art

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Blut posted:

Will self driving segways be more efficient at throwing techbros off cliffs?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Horses poop everywhere and bite. I just never go anywhere it's much easier.

If it weren't for having a job, I probably wouldn't leave the house often, considering how many things can be delivered to me now.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Clearly the answer is for horses to drive cars.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Imagine how easy it will be to shitpost when we're all in self-driving cars. No more waiting for red lights!

Fishmech will only be a believer, of course, when you can read one of his posts in one go without looking at the road while driving on an unmarked road packed with pedestrians during a blizzard while an earthquake is happening.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Can we please please please ban self driving car chat in this loving thread jfc

i just want to laugh at the silly tech bros

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
As a daily cyclist, I welcome our attentive robotic driving masters. The reported issues with bicycles namely effect curb huggers, which is a bad idea anyway.

Seriously most drivers are distracted and overrate their own abilities.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Arglebargle III posted:

Responding to fishmech in a self-driving car derail: not even once!

I read the Justine Musk interview; it sounds like a marriage that was under an enormous amount of pressure with the death of their first child and Musk running three companies and Justine getting bored and never seeing him. It's not surprising that she felt pressured to abandon her career and become a trophy wife, especially with five young kids, and it's not surprising that neither of them were happy in the relationship, and it's not surprising that he divorced her, and it's not surprising either that he married a much younger woman.

It's not surprising that his second wife divorced him after a rocky relationship.

Just seeing him in public it's clear that he's not very good with people in general. He's also a posh expatriate from a deeply weird country who got very rich very quickly. I don't doubt he's got a laundry list of character flaws.

I know a handful of men like this. Workaholics, totally unable to relate to other humans, with large child broods that they don't take care of very well, that have these trophies at home. Is there some archetype I'm missing or are all of these symptoms of some type of disorder?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the new update sucks rear end.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

mycomancy posted:

Is there some archetype I'm missing or are all of these symptoms of some type of disorder?

It's totally an archetype. It's the "traditional" (50s 60s) sort of view of manhood, work, and marriage. It's bad for most involved.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

mycomancy posted:

I know a handful of men like this. Workaholics, totally unable to relate to other humans, with large child broods that they don't take care of very well, that have these trophies at home. Is there some archetype I'm missing or are all of these symptoms of some type of disorder?
Look who doesn't have a broken braindead father

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
men are often expected to provide financial security and stability, which is increasingly difficult to achieve in american society (relative to how it could be obtained during the midcentury period when modern social expectations are rooted) and so men sometimes overcompensate by working themselves to the point of damaging their health and family lives. so, toxic masculinity and the drive to have control over the uncontrollable

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I think most people are married at some point in their life so if someone was a workaholic at all they would probably at some point be a married workaholic. Like a majority of traits anyone could have will be a thing that applies to married people since after a certain age traditionally a majority of people are married.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Vegetable posted:

Look who doesn't have a broken braindead father

My father was an illiterate drunk that I never met, thank you very much. :colbert:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Elon Musk explicitly told Justine Musk that he wanted to have many children in case some of them turned out to be duds.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Elon Musk explicitly told Justine Musk that he wanted to have many children in case some of them turned out to be duds.

Unironically, please source your quotes.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Arsenic Lupin posted:

That is absurdly out of context, they have twins and triplets because they had IVF, and that is simply how that works, they fill you up with embryos and you hope some work out. Then you either have a bunch of twins or you do some sort of dangerous surgical abortion of just a certain number of children.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

elon musk courting amber heard is the most hilarious thing and it must own being rich because lol is that insanely outkicking your coverage.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

That is absurdly out of context, they have twins and triplets because they had IVF, and that is simply how that works, they fill you up with embryos and you hope some work out. Then you either have a bunch of twins or you do some sort of dangerous surgical abortion of just a certain number of children.
However, it is an accurate quote of Donald Trump: "I want five children . . . because with five, then I will know that one will be guaranteed to turn out like me."

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

mycomancy posted:

To be honest I'm just happy he's using his powers for good.

Also they stayed together through losing their first child in infancy; that to me says something positive about their marriage. Yes Elon is a weirdo, yes Justine later felt that her life was spiraling into self-parody, but they stuck together through a huge trauma that splits up many couples.

Also I'm a little unsympathetic to her complaints about the financial documents she signed because she got a multimillion dollar mansion in the divorce. That's a pretty big windfall for a writer and enough to live comfortably for the rest of her life should she choose to sell it.

Like look at Zuckerburg or the Walton heirs, Musk is both undeniably self-made and has chosen to do things that don't backfire and put Duterte or Trump in power.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Arglebargle III posted:

Also they stayed together through losing their first child in infancy; that to me says something positive about their marriage. Yes Elon is a weirdo, yes Justine later felt that her life was spiraling into self-parody, but they stuck together through a huge trauma that splits up many couples.

Also I'm a little unsympathetic to her complaints about the financial documents she signed because she got a multimillion dollar mansion in the divorce. That's a pretty big windfall for a writer and enough to live comfortably for the rest of her life should she choose to sell it.

Like look at Zuckerburg or the Walton heirs, Musk is both undeniably self-made and has chosen to do things that don't backfire and put Duterte or Trump in power.

Fair enough on all points.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Arglebargle III posted:

Musk is both undeniably self-made

The child of mutli-millionaires is never self-made.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

Multimillion when he’s worth billions is nothing.

Also Musk is as self made as Trump is. Wish I could get a mere million dollar or whatever loan from my parents!

Or enough for a down payment for a house...

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

elon musk courting amber heard is the most hilarious thing and it must own being rich because lol is that insanely outkicking your coverage.

best part of it is he dumped her

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

How out of touch with reality do you have to be to consider being born a millionaire “nothing” when it comes to the challenges of succeeding in this world?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

when the benchmark for rich failson is wyatt "ugly shirts" koch

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Trabisnikof posted:

How out of touch with reality do you have to be to consider being born a millionaire “nothing” when it comes to the challenges of succeeding in this world?

Most billionaires come from wealthy families. Building a fortune takes a few generations. Unless you are absolutely incredible like Oprah it's pretty much impossible to get there from zero.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

fishmech posted:

The child of mutli-millionaires is never self-made.

Also true for upper middle class children like me who parents could afford the tuition at an Ivy or similar.

Musk went to the same school I did (UPENN).

I’m smart enough to realize the advantages I had.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

What happens "in decades" exactly? If you think it's impossible now what changes in 2070 that makes it possible? What technology are you saying we are waiting on? specifically and what sets the timeline?

Artificial general intelligence.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

It's not easy being a millionaire, guys. Cut the poor millionaires some slack.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
Can we just bring back the great chain of being with dollar signs? It’ll save time.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Arglebargle III posted:

he's not.

shrike82 posted:

best part of it is he dumped her

LOl no loving way.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

VideoGameVet posted:

Also true for upper middle class children like me who parents could afford the tuition at an Ivy or similar.

Musk went to the same school I did (UPENN).

I’m smart enough to realize the advantages I had.

Right. Even if rich parents never give their kids a single penny after they graduate, they have amazing advantages - private school, first-class university without loans or work, rich cultural experiences etc.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

BarbarianElephant posted:

Right. Even if rich parents never give their kids a single penny after they graduate, they have amazing advantages - private school, first-class university without loans or work, rich cultural experiences etc.

Honestly that is true for everyone in the first world compared to most humans on earth. Free school, colleges existing locally, food and clean water, No one is self made.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

BarbarianElephant posted:

University without loans is such a god drat life-trajectory-setting leg up that it can't be overstated. It's seriously the difference between someone retiring a millionaire and someone retiring on SS alone.

The Millennials are getting hosed so drat hard. When we start hitting our 40s and 50s the retiring Xers are going to be floored at how much poo poo gets collectivized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
On the range of outcomes and the range of upbringings, I'd put him on the self-made side of things. It's a kind of observation rarely made in isolation, though, it's almost always freighted with "hey it's a meritocracy" or "hey poo poo's rigged".