Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

Foxhound posted:

You can even pre-tranq while they are napping and once you throw down the trap they will be captured instantly.

Remember that there are some material that you can only get from carving and won't show up as rewards from capturing. But since you generally get a special arena anyway there is no reason not to cap the first of every monster you fight.

drat thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
cool tip: press the start button to skip the 10 second long cinematic camera pan that happens when you capture or kill a monster

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

i'm pretty sure there aren't carving only rewards in this one. anything on the list at the research center that drops for carves you can also get for capturing. there are break/sever only rewards, like if you don't break a rathians wings you won't get the reward whether you capture or carve. i have almost every rarity 6/7/8 sns and i haven't had a problem with getting materials from only capturing :shrug:

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
also i really must recommend covering your entire face and neck with the giant solid tattoo set to maximum glossy & metallic. seeing my face glowing like a red stop light has allowed me to enjoy dumb story cutscenes

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

mysterious loyall X posted:

i'm pretty sure there aren't carving only rewards in this one. anything on the list at the research center that drops for carves you can also get for capturing. there are break/sever only rewards, like if you don't break a rathians wings you won't get the reward whether you capture or carve. i have almost every rarity 6/7/8 sns and i haven't had a problem with getting materials from only capturing :shrug:

im pretty sure rubies on most monsters are carve only but they also show up in investigation rewards so its not that big of a deal

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

HolePisser1982 posted:

cool tip: press the start button to skip the 10 second long cinematic camera pan that happens when you capture or kill a monster

I put like 100 hours into 4U before I learned this, even though there's an onscreen prompt every time

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

i feel like im retarded i am having a bitch of a time capturing the barroth. i get him limping or sleeping or with the skull above his icon, hit him with electric trap, two tranq bombs and nothing, i don't get it.

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

a Loving Dog posted:

i feel like im retarded i am having a bitch of a time capturing the barroth. i get him limping or sleeping or with the skull above his icon, hit him with electric trap, two tranq bombs and nothing, i don't get it.

if the capture doesnt trigger but theyre still in the trap, just start doing damage and sometimes its enough to push em over the threshold

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

thanks yeah i think that might have been it. i also tried aiming more for the body since previously i was trying to hit the head with the tranq

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

a Loving Dog posted:

thanks yeah i think that might have been it. i also tried aiming more for the body since previously i was trying to hit the head with the tranq

oh ya its weird, i think the game tells you to hit the monsters head with the tranq bombs, but it seems like youre actually supposed to aim for dead center

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
I created an Imp Zone Squad last week so if any of you need an invite let me know. Unfortunately the person that makes a squad is the only one who can invite, and the person they’re inviting also has to be ingame in the same lobby. Kinda lame but w/e...

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Several of us were hanging around that Gathering Hub where you can see other players. I wish more people used it

Oh Long Johnson
Oct 22, 2010
Those lightning unicorns :stare:

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

HolePisser1982 posted:

If you go to the handler for quests, you can also press L2 to speed up the book opening animation

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Also you can definitely get gems from capturing, I have two that were explicit capture rewards

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

Control Volume posted:

If you go to the handler for quests, you can also press L2 to speed up the book opening animation

oh hell yeah

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Control Volume posted:

Also you can definitely get gems from capturing, I have two that were explicit capture rewards

ya i have like 15 rathian rubies i got while trying to get one rathian plate fuuu

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Several of us were hanging around that Gathering Hub where you can see other players. I wish more people used it

I wanna join but I get weird connection issues.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

HolePisser1982 posted:

btw, with the hammer if you release the level 3 charge with the stick neutral, you do an actual useful attack instead of the worthless spinning bludgeon

Thank you times a million

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

Lumpy the Cook posted:

I created an Imp Zone Squad last week so if any of you need an invite let me know. Unfortunately the person that makes a squad is the only one who can invite, and the person they’re inviting also has to be ingame in the same lobby. Kinda lame but w/e...

Im down. I'll do this tomorrow prob

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I wanna join but I get weird connection issues.

You can join anyway. Ain’t no thing but a chicken wing...

a Loving Dog posted:

Im down. I'll do this tomorrow prob

I’ve got nothing going on tomorrow so I’ll be playing MHW all day. Cool

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Lumpy the Cook posted:

i'd get in on that but i wont really be able to play until saturday. im down to kill some stuff then though

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Oh Long Johnson posted:

Those lightning unicorns :stare:

enjoy fighting the tempered ones! several of their most powerful attacks have no telegraphing!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Mods please change my name to Pablo Nergigante.

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
my journey.. so far

with a uh...
little detour lol

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

lol

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Wow Avatar 2 is looking great

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Mods please change my name to Pablo Nergigante.

Lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Oh my God

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

It’s...magnificent!

Oh Long Johnson
Oct 22, 2010
This game is so drat good

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

lmfao

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Lmfao. Hell yeah

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

HolePisser1982 posted:

also i really must recommend covering your entire face and neck with the giant solid tattoo set to maximum glossy & metallic. seeing my face glowing like a red stop light has allowed me to enjoy dumb story cutscenes

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
the bazelgeuse showing up all the time and loving with me is a pain in the rear end but its theme song is freaking epic :stare:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

HolePisser1982 posted:

btw, with the hammer if you release the level 3 charge with the stick neutral, you do an actual useful attack instead of the worthless spinning bludgeon

if you let it spin 3-4 times and press attack again you'll do a golf swing for enormous damage

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

apropos to nothing posted:

the bazelgeuse showing up all the time and loving with me is a pain in the rear end but its theme song is freaking epic :stare:

Shoot him with turds

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

apropos to nothing posted:

what lyle said but also if you've got time it's worth just killing that fucker. he's not as hard as he looks

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Yeah Beetlejuice looks tough cause it's huge but all its attacks are telegraphed 1 billion years in advance so just dodge that poo poo. Also it's not really friends with any other monster so you can always let it wear down whatever you're fighting and then chase your original monster when it runs away. Beetlejuice generally won't follow very far if it's invading a region.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

lmao