Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Spoiler for the drunkard quest

If you help your friends at the tavern you can get them to beat him up for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

PaybackJack posted:

I also love that the game told me speech was an option so I chose it as one of my starting stats, then trolled my by making me fail my first speech check against the drunk. Well played, game. At least I was able to beat him down the third time I tried.
That fight against the drunk was harder than the three you do after the prologue

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Lodin posted:

Unless you absolutely can't stand Sterling then watch this thing. Jesus fecking Christ.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fE12Z9YJJtg

paraphrased: “battles play out like sex with me. Long anticipation followed by a very short experience than does not satisfy.”

:lol:

I’ll get DW9 someday on sale as a mindless podcast game but I’m happy with KCD for sure.

mem
Sep 1, 2005
I beat the drunk pretty handily just throwing jabs. Throwing hooks got me hit pretty much every time.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Spoiler for the drunkard quest

If you help your friends at the tavern you can get them to beat him up for you.

Just like IRL.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

mem posted:

I beat the drunk pretty handily just throwing jabs. Throwing hooks got me hit pretty much every time.

That's the opposite of what I did. I'd move in close enough for him to throw something, back up enough for it to miss then hit him with a hook. Jabs consistently landed but it seemed like he was always blocking them.

Also I haven't gotten far enough to find out if speech is good or not, but much like Elex I'm going to guess that all the points will be thrown into Strength and Vitality so you can actually survive combat without having to be speedrunning youtuber levels of good.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Kingdom Come doesn't really have "throwing points", though. You do something, you get experience in that something. Get enough experience in that something, and that something goes up a level. Every other level up you get a perk point in that something. A Speech perk point can't be used for Warfare or Swords, and vice versa.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Der Shovel posted:

Kingdom Come doesn't really have "throwing points", though. You do something, you get experience in that something. Get enough experience in that something, and that something goes up a level. Every other level up you get a perk point in that something. A Speech perk point can't be used for Warfare or Swords, and vice versa.

Is there any sort of curving based on the starting points? Like if you put all your starting points in Strump is it easier or harder to raise Strump further?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Der Shovel posted:

So the starting choices are just essentially just giving you 2 free levels in whatever skill(s) you choose? I haven't played past the prologue but when I was brawling with the drunk I got a level in unarmed and a level in strength so I knew they went up as you used them but it wasn't clear if there would be more points where I'd get to level them outside using them.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

PaybackJack posted:

So the starting choices are just essentially just giving you 2 free levels in whatever skill(s) you choose?

Yep. After that whatever you do, you get better at it. And if you want to do it when it counts, boy you'd better do a lot of it! Like for instance, before you hit Bow level 5, you can't even hold the bow right and will injure your arms every time you shoot unless you wear vambraces.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Is there any sort of curving based on the starting points? Like if you put all your starting points in Strump is it easier or harder to raise Strump further?

Every subsequent level needs a bit more XP to go up, but other than that, I don't think so. Essentially you just get a couple of free skill ups, but you go from level 1 to level 2 in any skill so quickly anyway it doesn't really matter in any way.

You can view the details by going to Inventory, Player and then Skills / Combat / whatever, and pressing Q on the skill you want to find out more about.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So are you guys actually enjoying this game or should I request a refund

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Der Shovel posted:

Yep. After that whatever you do, you get better at it. And if you want to do it when it counts, boy you'd better do a lot of it! Like for instance, before you hit Bow level 5, you can't even hold the bow right and will injure your arms every time you shoot unless you wear vambraces.

So bunny hop a lot to raise vitality?

I'm gonna need to macro this poo poo aren't I

Just powerlevel bunny hop

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What's to prevent Henry from just maxing out everything?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What's to prevent Henry from just maxing out everything?

Max level cap?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Der Shovel posted:

you can't even hold the bow right and will injure your arms every time you shoot unless you wear vambraces.

That's hilarious.

One concern I actually do have beyond the clunky interface is regarding the survival stuff. During the prologue it was already bugging me to get some food, which I never did. Is food plentiful and readily available, and how often does the game bug you to munch an apple? Related: how is the inventory system, can carry a hundred apples around and never worry about being hungry or am I going to get overloaded at 5 apples?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
The steam forums helpfully explain that cooked apples feed you more than uncooked ones somehow, which is realistic apparently (that's according to the poster, this isn't just a snide joke I'm making)

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Empress Brosephine posted:

Keep it and make YouTube montages of bugs for people to enjoy

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Empress Brosephine posted:

It's certainly buggy, but so far it seems like a very fun game. Certainly not "the usual".

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

PaybackJack posted:

That's hilarious.

One concern I actually do have beyond the clunky interface is regarding the survival stuff. During the prologue it was already bugging me to get some food, which I never did. Is food plentiful and readily available, and how often does the game bug you to munch an apple? Related: how is the inventory system, can carry a hundred apples around and never worry about being hungry or am I going to get overloaded at 5 apples?

Food is plentiful, so much so that I've eaten too much both times I tried food

They don't really tell you when you're full and can stop eating until you get the fatso effect

mem
Sep 1, 2005
Food spoils over time, but it's pretty easy to get. I haven't had an issue with it at all.

Edit: ^^ you overeat if you go over 100 on whatever that meter is called, comfort I think.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Phi230 posted:

Food is plentiful, so much so that I've eaten too much both times I tried food

They don't really tell you when you're full and can stop eating until you get the fatso effect

Isn't that what the "Nourishment" stat is for? Or am I misinterpreting that one.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Fame Douglas posted:

Isn't that what the "Nourishment" stat is for? Or am I misinterpreting that one.

There's a nourishment stat?

TheCoon
Mar 3, 2009

There's already a mod for the pc version to enable saving in the menu. Having to use a potion to save would still be bad even if the game wasn't buggy as poo poo.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
but thats not realistic, i make sure to drink my save potion daily

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
At least autosave on quitting for Christs sake

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

corn in the bible posted:

The steam forums helpfully explain that cooked apples feed you more than uncooked ones somehow, which is realistic apparently (that's according to the poster, this isn't just a snide joke I'm making)

It's true, cooking releases a fruit's nutrients more easily by breaking down tough fibrous plant matter into more easily digestible sugars. It's why humans bother cooking.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
So this game is a Breath of the Wild cooking rip off.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Chalks posted:

Reading the RPS review I can't help but feel that The Witcher 3 has rather spoiled us when it comes to this genre.

This game isn't in the same genre as Witcher 3.

Its in the same genre as Mount & Blade and Skyrim.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Phi230 posted:

At least autosave on quitting for Christs sake

This would genuinely be nice. Before I left to get lunch I auto saved but my hard save is less than 10 minutes before the quick save so I’ll probably just load the hard save and mash through the conversation quickly so I don’t get hungover

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Is it that difficult to make the save potions? I dont have the game yet but I don't remember people being too upset about ink ribbons

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Hopped in game during my lunch break. 1440p with high settings, getting 90+ fps

No performance issues over here :) Looks great, plays smooth. I'm expecting I'll run into some zany bugs when I get to play more, but whatever.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

StabMasterArson posted:

Is it that difficult to make the save potions? I dont have the game yet but I don't remember people being too upset about ink ribbons

They give you a drunk effect in the game

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

exquisite tea posted:

It's true, cooking releases a fruit's nutrients more easily by breaking down tough fibrous plant matter into more easily digestible sugars. It's why humans bother cooking.

True, although I think most people do it because it tastes way better.

This game is set in early 1400s Bohemia, right? Can you become a Hussite and get burned as a heretic?

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
uh so on the first quest I stole the axe, hammer and nails and sold them to the trader but I still don't have enough money for 10 bags of charcoal? Was I supposed to do something else with them?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

fuf posted:

uh so on the first quest I stole the axe, hammer and nails and sold them to the trader but I still don't have enough money for 10 bags of charcoal? Was I supposed to do something else with them?

You should have plenty of money by selling

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The problem w the schnapps is that it not only makes you drunk it subsequently makes you hungover

Both bad things just to save

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Phi230 posted:

The problem w the schnapps is that it not only makes you drunk it subsequently makes you hungover

Both bad things just to save

Lmao. It really is like some HARDCORE skyrim mod

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Phi230 posted:

You should have plenty of money by selling

I tried bartering but she didn't wanna give me any extra because they're stolen... I am like 2 or 3 short of the 5 I need for the charcoal

Vastakaiun
Apr 16, 2008

I just nicked the hammer and asked my dad for the rest of the money.

(This game really wants you to do illegal poo poo)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Vastakaiun posted:

I just nicked the hammer and asked my dad for the rest of the money.

(This game really wants you to do illegal poo poo)

welp I accidentally stole something and died in jail so I'll try that way instead this time