Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Hmm, you have to have an iOS device running iOS 11.2.5 and hold the device within six inches of the homepod during setup.. why? If they both go on the same WiFi network is there some ad hoc crap that has to run first?

was helping someone set theirs up and had to update their 6s and an iPad mini 4 to 11.2.5, they kept asking me 'what's taking so long' when the 6s and mini were still running iOS 9 and 10.. :argh:

and yes I carried their printer back to my place to fix

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Feb 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
how do you think the homepod gets on the wifi network to begin with?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
apple uses short range bluetooth from an already configured device to pass network name and credentials to the homepod

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

this also works for configuring an new iphone or ipad out of the box

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

infernal machines posted:

apple uses short range bluetooth from an already configured device to pass network name and credentials to the homepod

Wish your credentials would be passed to nearby devices, resulting in a ban for account sharing.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

infernal machines posted:

how do you think the homepod gets on the wifi network to begin with?

thought it used the ad hoc wireless, forgot about a bloo bloo tooth

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Feb 13, 2018

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
lol forcing people to use the dumpster fire that is ios 11 that's just the cherry on top

what a joke apple has become, ios leaks and tim just shrugs and goes back to mooning over celebs but woe betide any dumbass apple alexa purchaser if they don't have ios 11, the worst ios yet

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Casual Encountess posted:

autistic screeching

gently caress off, whoever you are

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

also had never used the home app up until now, never bought any of those wacky remote control light bulbs I keep seeing demo stations for at Micro Center

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Had to return my homepod cause i cant get IOS11 on my 3gs (the best iphone)

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i don't understand why anybody is buying any of these "personal assistants," not just the homepod

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

GameCube posted:

i don't understand why anybody is buying any of these "personal assistants," not just the homepod

I use mine for lights, doors, garage, ceiling fan, tv control

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Don Lapre posted:

doors, garage, ceiling fan, tv

whoa check out mr richie rich over here

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

ahaha shareholders

MacRumors posted:

Shareholders also asked a few frivolous questions, which ate into the Q&A time and limited what we heard from Apple executives. One asked about Apple's work in oral health, a topic Cook said Apple isn't focusing on, while another asked when Apple will introduce a waterproof iPhone (iPhones have been water resistant since the iPhone 7).

There was a question on Blockchain, which Cook avoided, and one investor, still using iOS 9, abstained from voting on board re-election because of Apple's "bad" software updates that have removed features. "I'm not gonna sell my stock or buy the competitor's stuff because it's even worse," he said.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

oral health is a legitimate question about market segments given their push towards other health stuff

healthkit integrated toothbrushes make as much sense as any other iot product

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

healthkit integrated toothbrushes make as much sense as any other iot product

in other words it has no real value at all

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

of course it’s already a thing, https://oralb.com/en-us/products/genius-8000-electric-toothbrush-with-bluetooth

the guy probably wanted to see his p&g shares go up or something

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
the shareholder abstaining from voting is a true hero for pointing out the ongoing decline in ios quality

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

but the shareholder is a member of the investor class, surely they should be guillotined in the street

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
well that goes without saying, but the important thing in the meantime is to work toward tim's ouster for the sake of apple's future

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

:agreed:

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

ahaha shareholders

quote:

one investor, still using iOS 9, abstained from voting on board re-election because of Apple's "bad" software updates that have removed features. "I'm not gonna sell my stock or buy the competitor's stuff because it's even worse," he said.

he's right tho

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/stevesi/status/963142502604779520

good series of like 50 tweets

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

how about writing a medium post instead of trying to shoehorn long form opinion pieces into loving twitter?

goddammit

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
If it was good enough to read they'd have written the 50 tweets as paragraphs and hosted it using one of the many options to do so.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
1/n super sekrit plan to improve apple software: get rid of tim

that's it

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Stymie posted:

1/n super sekrit plan to improve apple software: get rid of tim

that's it

this is a really good post, imo.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

is the 2015 mbp the last good one that doesn't suffer from tim's fear of useful things?

yes i have it and it’s very good

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
drat, I could have gone to the shareholder meeting and seen the new campus, and also asked tim what he thinks about quoting stymie

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

http://pogueman.tumblr.com/post/170722337727/head-to-head-does-the-apple-homepod-really-sound

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
is pogueman done beating his wife yet

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Don Lapre posted:

I use mine for lights, doors, garage, ceiling fan, tv control

i just stand up occasionally

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

graph posted:

in 2011 i was drunk and made a joke on twitter about david pogue beating his wife with an iphone and he DMed me asking me to hear his side of the story. i felt bad and deleted my account

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

GameCube posted:

lol

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

GameCube posted:

in 2011 i was drunk and made a joke on twitter about david pogue beating his wife with an iphone and he DMed me asking me to hear his side of the story. i felt bad and deleted my account

jfc

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

this man is a professional writer

people pay him to take thoughts and put them into words

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Penguissimo posted:

this man is a professional writer

people pay him to take thoughts and put them into words

tech “journalist” is not a writer

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

graph posted:

apple hasnt made a product yet that cant be lobbed in anger so no

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

GameCube posted:

Filthy casual

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

GameCube posted:

gently caress off, whoever you are

What is it about Apple thread that draws out all the slurposting? I would have expected the anroid thread to be the one full of grognards.