Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

This was not bad. Was expecting a bit more flavour to seep into the beans, which maybe they will over the next couple of days, and is a real shame because the onion stew was great.

Probably one of the cheapest meals I've ever cooked too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Speaking of bean recipes!

I’ve been seeing a vegetarian recently, and am working on impressing them with cooking. Mardi Gras is coming up and I want to impress them with some Cajun dishes. The simplest seems to be red beans and rice, and I’ve previously done the vegetarian version from gumbopages.

http://www.gumbopages.com/food/red-beans.html

However, I tried out the Kenji López recipe that includes added pickled pork to the dish, and it was the single greatest pot of red beans and rice I have ever made (bearing in mind that I also fell asleep drunk and a friend had to take it off heat after it stewed an extra hour or so).

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2017/05/new-orleans-style-red-beans-rice-recipe.html

So, what should I add to account for the extra vinegar taste to cut the beans’ richness? Just add straight vinegar? Pickle some onions and add them? Any other suggestions?

Also, what are some other amazing vegetarian/vegan Cajun recipes that folks have? This person I’ve been seeing eats dairy and occasionally fish, but I’m down for full-on vegan, as with the red beans and rice above.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

fr0id posted:

So, what should I add to account for the extra vinegar taste to cut the beans’ richness? Just add straight vinegar? Pickle some onions and add them? Any other suggestions?

I'd say some piccalilly on the side would be awesome

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Goguma Bap, Korean Sweet Potato Rice. Nice but not great for nutrition

Vege burgers. Potato, onion, carrot and black bean patty before I added the other bits and pieces.

Bread with Zaatar spice to go with the Prebanac, but every photo of that looked aggressively unappetising.

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!
Lentilbased pastasauce:

About 100g lentils (red and or black/beluga)
2 carrots
2 stalks of celery
1 onion
2 cloves of garlic
1 can of tomato paste (140g)
1 can of tomatoes (400g)
Vegetable stock as cube/powder
Spices as you prefer (I use basil, oregano and bay leaf)
Salt + pepper
Oil

Dice carrots and celery. Mince onions and garlic. Rinse lentils in a sieve or wash by hand in a bowl (put lentils+water in bowl and stir, then replace water until it stays mostly clear - just putting it in a sieve and letting the tap run is much easier).

Sauté onions in some oil in a pot at medium-high heat. Add garlic and sauté further. Ideally you'd put the sautéed stuff into a bowl here for later, then add carrots/celery until the bottom of the pot is mostly covered, then continue until everything is sautéed nicely, but I usually just dump in the carrots and celery - doing this means it gets boiled rather than fried, but I'm lazy.

Add tomato paste, tomatoes, lentils and flavorings. Let it simmer for 20 minutes. Add water if too dry, let it simmer without lid if too wet.

Add salt and pepper to taste.

Serve with pasta, rice or diced potatoes, and maybe a few pieces of bread. For bonus points, garnish with fresh basil.

I'll try to grab some photos and more exact measurements next time I cook this, although I just made a bunch yesterday, so it'll be a while.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Made some frijoles negros. How have I never eaten this before in my life?

I used This Recipe except for using cumin seeds instead of ground cumin, a different type of vinegar because I don't own sherry vinegar, and no olives, because my partner hates them.

Goddamn that was tasty. Can see this becoming a common dinner.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
I've never seen them with olives or wine before, what the hell is that poo poo? Cumin seeds is superior to cumin powder so you did nothing wrong - 1/2 tsp is nothing anyway.
Frijoles negros has always the been the best bean stew for me too, although it is not photogenic.
As soon as black beans were easily available here it's my go to for bean stews. Apple cider, red wine or balsamic vinegar usually works fine anyway - I usually do 1tsp of one type and 1 tsp of another so it's not just 'one note' vinegar flavour. (E: adjust for more at the end of course)

But anyway, there's a bean thread I guess, so it shouldn't be all about beans here. Looking forward to frying up the remainder of my veg for a stirfry with garlic and soy tomorrow.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jan 28, 2018

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Get you a sherry vinegar, though. It's a phenomenal ingredient. As is actual sherry, for drinking or cooking with.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Fo3 posted:

Apple cider, red wine or balsamic vinegar usually works fine anyway -

Yeah I went with apple cider.

PT6A posted:

Get you a sherry vinegar, though. It's a phenomenal ingredient. As is actual sherry, for drinking or cooking with.

A cursory google search informed me that a LOT of people are very passionate about sherry vinegar. If I see it somewhere I'll probably try it out.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

This is tasty, I'm probably gonna keep some around for breakfast/lunches with toast. My partner is usually lukewarm to vegan dishes but really liked this. Needed a bit more cayenne next time though.

Not a looker though.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Yeah I don't think there's really any way to make baked beans look pretty, especially right out of the oven when the top is dry and crusty. I like them for breakfast on toast too! Glad you liked the recipe.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Yeah I don't think there's really any way to make baked beans look pretty, especially right out of the oven when the top is dry and crusty. I like them for breakfast on toast too! Glad you liked the recipe.

uhhh don't you recall all that beautiful bean footage. Unfortunately I think that dog was the camera dog too.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

So I went to the next suburb over, which has the largest African immigrant population in my city and bought some berbere from a man who didn't speak English, and made some Misr Wat as per this recipe

It went down really well, and the spice mix was fantastic, but I'm definitely not adding that much water next time, was a bit soupier than I would have liked.

I wanted to make some of the correct flatbread to go with it, but couldn't find the teff.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Berbere spice is good. I made some for missir wat ages ago, and when I went for a creole, texmex or mexican spice mix last week I found my home premade stuff missing and most needed components as well. Ever since I moved here stuff has been thrown out. So I went with berbere mix instead and it was good .
Nearly every missir wat recipe I have uses tomato: some just tomato paste, others a whole can, or 1-2 fresh ones. Normally a lot of onion too: 1 large - 2 medium. Personally I use more ginger and less berbere powder (my stuff was hot!)

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Jan 31, 2018

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Today in, "I didn't choose veganism for health reasons":

After trying to find a recipe for peanut brittle (because surely I thought someone had done it without butter but nope) I just went gently caress it and poured toffee over peanuts.

:effort:

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
woops

Cyberpunkey Monkey fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Feb 3, 2018

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
This is the no fake poo poo thread.

Speaking of real food, here's breakfast from the other day, via this recipe (without the shrimp, obviously):

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

General cooking advice question, if a recipe calls for "non dairy butter" what exactly is that referring to? Is margarine fine, or is it asking for nut butter or another solid non animal fat?

e. not sure if verboten, sorry.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
It depends on the recipe. Typically it's asking for a butter replacement, which is like margarine but with less water. But often you can ignore that and just replace it with margarine or with oil.

JuulPodSaveAmerica
Aug 29, 2012

TychoCelchuuu posted:

This is the no fake poo poo thread.

Speaking of real food, here's breakfast from the other day, via this recipe (without the shrimp, obviously):

as a vegan, i find this very appealing

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Chana Masala for lunch today. Not bad for an hour's work!

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Zenithe posted:

General cooking advice question, if a recipe calls for "non dairy butter" what exactly is that referring to? Is margarine fine, or is it asking for nut butter or another solid non animal fat?

e. not sure if verboten, sorry.
what would the use be? subbing the butter in a pie recipe is different from subbing it in a roux

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Tonight I just roasted the gently caress out of:

Potatoes
Sweet potatoes
Carrots
Sprouts
Beetroot
Golden beetroot
Onion
Garlic
Cherry tomatoes (on the vine)
Apple

Plus some seitan-esque patties my partner fried up and a tahini sauce. Simple as hell but so tasty.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Elizabethan Error posted:

what would the use be? subbing the butter in a pie recipe is different from subbing it in a roux

It was for a dessert. For most recipes that call for butter for use as the fat, I just use oil (and did before I cared about not using butter too now I think about it). I've read so many different things to use instead but I'm not sure which one to go for.

Also have not been feeling well so I made some nice bland Dahl Bhat which was actually a bit more flavourful than I expected.

1 cup red lentils
1 onion
2 cloves of garlic
some ginger
1/2 tsp of mustard seeds, coriander seeds, tumeric powder and cumin seeds
water to get desired consistency

Serve with rice topped with coriander and spring onion (and chilli when I'm feeling better)

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Made some Malaysian Sayuran (vegetable) curry, and it turned out pretty good.

The base is mostly lemongrass and chillies, plus ginger, turmeric and a bit of sugar and salt. Fry up some firm tofu and then add the rest of the veges and water, boil until done. Like all my curries, I add the personal touch of forgetting to add the coconut milk until the meal has been served. Traditionally it's made with mostly eggplant, but I don't think that's going to work with a bulk made soupy curry after a day or two.

Also went to a Malaysian restaurant and forgot that "vegetarian" in a lot of these places means no onion or garlic. Won't be making that mistake again.

:negative:

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
""vegetarian" in a lot of these places means no onion or garlic"

Huuuh?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

von Braun posted:

""vegetarian" in a lot of these places means no onion or garlic"

Huuuh?

Vegetarian carries the implication of following a strict Buddhist diet in a lot of Chinese influenced areas, and they also don't eat onion or garlic. Kind of like Kosher or Halal instead of what is usually referred to as vegetarian in the west.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Zenithe posted:

Vegetarian carries the implication of following a strict Buddhist diet in a lot of Chinese influenced areas, and they also don't eat onion or garlic. Kind of like Kosher or Halal instead of what is usually referred to as vegetarian in the west.

Right. The thought is that garlic/alliums disturb the mind. It's why you'll see a lot of "vegetarian" versions of Asian sauces that normally are anyway.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

Zenithe posted:

Okay, never seen nor heard of that. I get it.

Popsicle
Mar 5, 2007

Infophile
I was pretty enamored by how well some mapo tofu w/ tempeh last night turned out.

Original recipes:

Edit: Removed salad recipe with a fake bacon product

Popsicle fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Feb 18, 2018

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
NO MEAT SUBSTITUTES IN THIS THREAD. Take your fake bacon to a fake food thread if you want! NO FAKE poo poo. THIS IS IN THE OP. I MEAN IT.

Popsicle
Mar 5, 2007

Infophile

TychoCelchuuu posted:

NO MEAT SUBSTITUTES IN THIS THREAD.

It's been removed, thanks --and sorry! To contribute with some non-fake poo poo to partially compensate: the bottom corner of my fridge hosts fermented foods. Right now there is kimchi and sauerkraut.

Kimchi, homemade and store bought kraut. The store bought sauerkraut has zero color.

Having a big tub of kimchi is awesome because it can be put on rice, used in pancakes, stew such as jjigae, or just eaten plain.

Popsicle fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Feb 18, 2018

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank
On kimchi pancake chat, I made a couple of these tonight:

Never made them before; but the recipe turned out well. Even managed to flip the drat thing without it breaking up, which I certain can't do with regular pancakes. I wouldn't say I'm the world's biggest kimchi fan, but actually, combined in with everything else here and fried up, everything tasted really good. And the spinach salad's not an afterthought either - it was a decent accompaniment and definitely worth not skipping over.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

I made some Mujaddara, which was actually pretty bad. I made it with brown rice instead of white, but I was amazed how little flavour was in it.

1 cup rice
1 1/2 cups green lentils
Cumin, Allspice, Cinnamon, Turmeric, salt and pepper
Caramelised onions both in the dish and used as a garnish.

There is a version of this recipe which owns, but that was not the one I made tonight. If anyone has had some success with this I'd love the recipe.

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

I made this beautiful pot of perfection; it lasted me like 2 days even though it took a whole day to make but it was so good. Any idea what kind of dish this is so I can look up more recipes like it?

Also does anyone have recommendations for vegan snacks? I get the munchies and for some reason, I am usually very lazy at the time. The vegan candy options are basically shaped sugar and taffy. I'm thinking I might make my own trail mix.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
How about like dark chocolate and nuts? Maybe dried fruit and berries. I don't think candy is really a snack more than a junk food.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Eat The Rich posted:

I made this beautiful pot of perfection; it lasted me like 2 days even though it took a whole day to make but it was so good. Any idea what kind of dish this is so I can look up more recipes like it?
Check out this cookbook, which incidentally is linked in the OP already.

Eat The Rich posted:

Also does anyone have recommendations for vegan snacks? I get the munchies and for some reason, I am usually very lazy at the time. The vegan candy options are basically shaped sugar and taffy. I'm thinking I might make my own trail mix.
Hummus/bean dip + vegetables, crackers, or flatbread.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Eat The Rich posted:

I just keep a bag of nuts (usually peanuts) in the pantry. Fruit is good too.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Almost all snacks are vegan. Potato chips are vegan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed

Zenithe posted:

I made some Mujaddara, which was actually pretty bad. I made it with brown rice instead of white, but I was amazed how little flavour was in it.

1 cup rice
1 1/2 cups green lentils
Cumin, Allspice, Cinnamon, Turmeric, salt and pepper
Caramelised onions both in the dish and used as a garnish.

There is a version of this recipe which owns, but that was not the one I made tonight. If anyone has had some success with this I'd love the recipe.

Your recipe is pretty similar to mine. I don't think of it as a super flavorful dish, more of a nice side/base to accompany something else, but I'm happy with mine. Here's a couple differences:

I toss with some olive oil
I serve with a squeeze of lemon over it

Maybe try more salt? Or using a veggie broth/bullion to cook your rice/lentils in? Adjust the spice proportions? Aside from the salt and pepper those are all pretty earthy spices to go along with the earthy lentils, so maybe adding some lemon would help brighten it up.