Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Backer rewards came in the mail! :toot:

That is one sexy map

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Have you heard of the High Elves?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Zaphod42 posted:

Same. Drinking to save kinda sucks but savescumming also sucks and if I can, I will. Too much of Skyrim is saving every literal 30 seconds. Playing not that way just feels like you're being punished.

But there's probably a better game design solution here, its just not a simple one. Maybe some kind of Dark Souls style system where you lose something when you die and have to try to get it back?

It's called "having integrity"

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

corn in the bible posted:

It's called "having integrity"

Oh my god everybody, this guy is such a badass he doesn't savescum videogames! :rolleyes:

Dude get over yourself. If you don't agree you can just ignore us.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
The saving system was a good idea in theory but so was *checks notes* communism?

dongmaster1999
Nov 23, 2017
anyone know if this would be bearable to play on a i5-3570k and gtx 760?

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
re: opening credits

can you win the fright?

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

The music is fine when it's just generic fantasy elevator music like the near-entirety of Jeremy Soule's oeuvre, it's pretty bad when it tries to be dramatic, like the near-entirety of Jeremy Soule's oeuvre

Save system is garbo

Skill system is bad too but it makes me feel like I'm cheating the system when I use the infinite time in the tutorial area to harvest plants and jump repeatedly so its a wash

A lot of the perks are dumb and feel more like starting traits you'd pick in fallout

First impressions I award this a Risen out of Gothic 2

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I think the save system would be fine if you didn't have to buy the booze. If you just had to go to a tavern and refill for free and over time you could buy bigger flasks that'd work out alright. (basically Dark Souls estus) With having to purchase it turns into a pretty severe reverse difficulty curve where at the start you are broke and can never save, but later you won't care. Saving gamers from quick saving their enjoyment away is a worthy thing for devs to do.

Also no save on exit is crazy.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Lockpicking is loving stupid

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
Anyone saying this is a bad game is outright lying and for some reason thought it was going to be a clean running game deep down. This game is a beautiful mess. Like if Brad Pitt suffered a stroke that left the right side side of his body paralyzed, level pretty and mess though.

Hop in now if you can deal with that, if not wait and see if patches/physical therapy can make it work better

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

FuzzySlippers posted:

This part is the dealbreaker for me - I'm down with not savescumming and making sure that there is risk or whatever but I also need to be able to stop playing when I want to. Made me go PC and install that save game mod straightaway.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Randomzx posted:

does the game have any warning about which lord's hunting ground you are in?

I believe that would be the Holy Roman Emperor, and his hunting ground is specifically all of it.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Is there any way to repair armor, or should I just drop the various bits of loot from the discarded bodies of my enemies since it's already at condition 0?

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
So overall im hearing the game is fairly fun, looks good and has reasonable sword combat. The rpg elements are lacking compared to Bethesda titles but for sword swinging adventure its a good no-fantasy time.

Appenrtly the English voice acting is awful but German is fine. Also bugs a plenty make the game feel more like a beta.

Would goons agree the current verdict is good but wait for the bug fixes patch to come out?

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Just finished the Uzhitz quest line and holy poo poo that was hilarious.

Gridlocked posted:

So overall im hearing the game is fairly fun, looks good and has reasonable sword combat. The rpg elements are lacking compared to Bethesda titles but for sword swinging adventure its a good no-fantasy time.

Appenrtly the English voice acting is awful but German is fine. Also bugs a plenty make the game feel more like a beta.

Would goons agree the current verdict is good but wait for the bug fixes patch to come out?

I just binged it for ten hours today, it's a good game with some flaws here and there but nothing you can't easily look past. Don't go into it expecting AAAAA fifty million dollar budget Skyrim and it'd be hard to be really disappointed.

Also literally every RPG lacks compared to Bethesda titles :rolleyes:

Sheep fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Feb 14, 2018

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Gridlocked posted:

The rpg elements are lacking compared to Bethesda titles

what in the goddamn

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Phi230 posted:

Lockpicking is loving stupid

This is probably the worst lockpicking I've ever seen in a game. If there's a mod/cheat to disable it I'm gonna immediately use it.

Gridlocked posted:

Yeah I'd wait to see what the first big patch does. It isn't a proper sandbox RPG like TES, Fallout, or even Gothic. It is more like a AAA 'open world' game like Shadows of Mordor, GTA, RDR, etc (some of these guys did Mafia 2 so makes sense). I think the English voice acting is pretty good. The dialogue sometimes sucks, but the people speaking it do a fine enough job.

They do the usually Hollywood thing of native country speakers == British while everyone else has whatever accent. It's just funny to hear heavy German accent character being harassed by the locals going 'Oi us people here in Bohemia don't like your kind around here!'

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

please tell me there's a way to get rid of loading times for every single loving conversation

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Zaphod42 posted:

Backer rewards came in the mail! :toot:

That is one sexy map

the game comes with a cat?

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Gridlocked posted:

Yes but key thing on 'rpg elements are lacking' is in skill system not in how the world reacts.

It's a definite buy, but wait

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

Internet Kraken posted:

Watching a guy swing his sword at an invincible NPC to grind a bunch of levels at the start of the game.

It really is like Oblivion.

HELLO HENRY :downs:
I SAW A MUDCRAB THE OTHER DAY :downs:

I'm having fun with this game but I would make the caveat that I'm having fun because of how janky it is. I'd say that it's a jank/fun combination similar Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, but without the boot of justice.

I found an npc guard in the starting castle that became invulnerable but not plot protected from being stabbed, so I just stabbed him under a bridge until I was level 16 and broke Sir Rodzharhagdhghg's sword on him. I find the idea of weak peasant blacksmith boy going under a bridge, roughing up a man with a sword he's supposed to give someone, and then coming out as the incredible hulk that can crush people's heads through plate armor with his bare hands.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I got the hang of lockpicking.

Burglary in this game is awesome

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

This was 23 minutes into the game for me

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
Tip: turn the spoken language to German. Feels a lot more authentic- 13th century Bohemians speaking fluent Queen's English is kind of awkward.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I just got done escaping and I feel genuinely bad about leaving that woman to the rapists but I had guys surrounding me and I just couldn't even look I had to book it. I am a monster.

Someone mentioned a savegame mod though? I don't see it in the OP but I mean...I am an adult and need to be able to turn the game off when I need to stop playing and have it save so kinda important.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

If nothing else, I think it’s worth picking up on sale because it really is something different - the story isn’t like amazing but it is playing out like a neat piece of historical fiction, which isn’t something we get a lot of in games. They also put a bunch of detail in the codex and item descriptions.

Like, I give them credit for having an idea and really going for it. They fall on their asses a bunch but a bunch of people make lovely games that are also stale and derivative and at least this isn’t the latter.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You can punch chickens and they explode into an edible item

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Are the stupid helmets every guard in this game wears historically accurate?

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
The helmets that mankind have made are amazing, yes.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Internet Kraken posted:

Are the stupid helmets every guard in this game wears historically accurate?

Medieval times were not known for their fashion sense.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
When is the big patch? I knowd its only been a day or so since release but have the devs floated a bug fix date yet

gasman
Mar 21, 2013

hey now
How can you not like kettle hats?

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Gridlocked posted:

When is the big patch? I knowd its only been a day or so since release but have the devs floated a bug fix date yet

Next patch is 2 weeks out, according to the devs.

Still trying to figure out if I like being Henry, the Forrest Gump of 1400's Bohemia.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

gasman posted:

How can you not like kettle hats?

Everyone looks like they have lampshades on their heads.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
where's the easiest place to get lockpicks in the starting hamlet place

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Internet Kraken posted:

Everyone looks like they have lampshades on their heads.

Yes that’s what they made with the technology they had. Form often followed function.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

FuzzySlippers posted:

I think the save system would be fine if you didn't have to buy the booze. If you just had to go to a tavern and refill for free and over time you could buy bigger flasks that'd work out alright. (basically Dark Souls estus) With having to purchase it turns into a pretty severe reverse difficulty curve where at the start you are broke and can never save, but later you won't care. Saving gamers from quick saving their enjoyment away is a worthy thing for devs to do.

Yeah you're using your brain here. If they were free refils and you could always safe on quit (but loading the game back up consumes that save or whatever) then it'd be a pretty solid and fair system.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

where's the easiest place to get lockpicks in the starting hamlet place

If you talk to Klaus or whatever that one friend of yours is with the raspy rear end in a top hat voice he'll give you 4 of them after you talk to that dude who owes you an axe and nails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014

The Chad Jihad posted:

The music is fine when it's just generic fantasy elevator music like the near-entirety of Jeremy Soule's oeuvre, it's pretty bad when it tries to be dramatic, like the near-entirety of Jeremy Soule's oeuvre

Save system is garbo

Skill system is bad too but it makes me feel like I'm cheating the system when I use the infinite time in the tutorial area to harvest plants and jump repeatedly so its a wash

A lot of the perks are dumb and feel more like starting traits you'd pick in fallout

First impressions I award this a Risen out of Gothic 2

protip: you can also punch the horses near mum & dads house, if they path towards mum and dads house when they flee you are basically guaranteed easy levels in warfare, strength and unarmed combat

watch out for guards because if they catch you punching horses they will resist your persuasion attempts and throw you in prison where you will die over an 80 coin fine. No matter how many times you flee and surrender and try to explain this is an important mission from important guy that requires horses to be punched.

the no exit save has basically guaranteed i have gotten no further than meeting my friends at the tavern and thats it so far. But I've been having fun trying to break the game for the 5 min bursts of gameplay I've been able to have.

Rock Puncher fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Feb 14, 2018