Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

There's the weird thing where you can see the island if you're shallowly submerged, too. That sure got my attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Captain Monkey posted:

I went into this game blind and kept trying to attach air hoses to my base from an above-water pump for a while. My logic was 'I need an air source, then I'll add power for a fabricator!'

I got frustrated and slapped a solar panel on it after a few tries, and was actually pretty surprised when I could suddenly breathe inside.

Thank gently caress that wasn't just me

ALSO I'm now at the point where i have to build the rocket and I'm not sure I can be bothered. I always seem to get bored with these games once I've explored everything. Will I be missing anything cool?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Invalid Validation posted:

Not sure why they even need to be hidden. The game barely has any direction as is.

The world would be a lot less intimidating if you can just see land from the top of your lifepod.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I don’t think it matters myself. But it’s super subjective.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I can see how it's a trade-off. Standing on your life pod at the beginning and seeing nothing but your burning wreck of a ship surrounded by trackless seas is very effective. On the other hand, the islands would make a very nice breadcrumb for the early-game.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Skippy McPants posted:

I can see how it's a trade-off. Standing on your life pod at the beginning and seeing nothing but your burning wreck of a ship surrounded by trackless seas is very effective. On the other hand, the islands would make a very nice breadcrumb for the early-game.

I mean, they give you breadcrumbs directly to both of them already, they just delay it slightly.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
This might seem like an odd question, but how do you actually turn ON the alien arches? I've always gone to the gun island second and never really gave much thought to it after stealing or scanning everything

I don't even know if that's worth spoiling, but just in case

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Danaru posted:

This might seem like an odd question, but how do you actually turn ON the alien arches? I've always gone to the gun island second and never really gave much thought to it after stealing or scanning everything

I don't even know if that's worth spoiling, but just in case

You put a cube in them

Some of the ones you find need to be turned on from the other end

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

TheGreasyStrangler posted:

You put a cube in them

Some of the ones you find need to be turned on from the other end

Is the one at the floating island one of those? I swear I rubbed tablets and cubes all over it and couldn't get anything working. The one in the gun base too but I didn't spend as much time investigating that one

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Danaru posted:

Is the one at the floating island one of those? I swear I rubbed tablets and cubes all over it and couldn't get anything working. The one in the gun base too but I didn't spend as much time investigating that one

You spent all your time at the terminal end of that pair.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Thank gently caress that wasn't just me

ALSO I'm now at the point where i have to build the rocket and I'm not sure I can be bothered. I always seem to get bored with these games once I've explored everything. Will I be missing anything cool?

The ending is pretty cool, but you could watch it on youtube if you don't have the mats for the rocket on hand and can't be arsed to farm them.

I do know that the achievements for building the rocket and launching a Time Capsule are currently bugged, though, so there's no harm in waiting is that's something you care about.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Well for what its worth I didn't know about the island at all so realizing there was actually dry land to walk on was pretty cool. Wouldn't of been as much of a surprise if I saw it from the lifepod.

Rynoto posted:

It all comes from a time early in production when the map was supposed to be a placeholder for the eventual open world proc-gen game that they abandoned and never bothered fixing.

The game will probably turn out better for a single run experience by not being proc gen, but I have to say I'm still disappointed this isn't the dream survival game I've always wanted. At least I'll get the thrill of being an ocean explorer this one time though.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I went back into the Aurora to fix the drive and explore the Laboratory (which I missed my first time through). I got a data download that according to the wiki was supposed to give me a signal for an energy discharge, but it's not showing up on my list. Is that just Gun Island?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Will I get a way to recharge batteries anytime soon? I know copper and shrooms aren't exactly uncommon but recharging my seaglide is kind of annoying.

I don't know if it was the right thing to do but I beelined to the habitat thingy and built a foundation right by my lifepod, a single tube hallway, a solar panel, and like fifty goddamn lockers. Nice having storage space..

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

Will I get a way to recharge batteries anytime soon? I know copper and shrooms aren't exactly uncommon but recharging my seaglide is kind of annoying.

I don't know if it was the right thing to do but I beelined to the habitat thingy and built a foundation right by my lifepod, a single tube hallway, a solar panel, and like fifty goddamn lockers. Nice having storage space..

You can find fragments for both battery and power cell chargers inside various wrecks. Check the wiki if you want to know which specific ones to look for.

The game doesn't do a great job of communicating this to you., but in general, salvaging wrecks is the primary way you advance your tech.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Without a world map I am never ever going to be able to figure out or remember where everything is. I get disorientated enough in 2D space let alone having 3D oceanic space and caves to work out. :saddowns:

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

Without a world map I am never ever going to be able to figure out or remember where everything is. I get disorientated enough in 2D space let alone having 3D oceanic space and caves to work out. :saddowns:

Beacons are your friend. Also, Pod 5 sits pretty much dead center on the map so you can use it to find and navigate to most landmarks.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Ciaphas posted:

find and scan the fragments for a "beacon" they are all around the safe shallows and you can almost certainly find a wreck with 3+ beacons to scan within ~100m of the lifepod

Copper + Titanium to build and it takes 1 inv spot so you can pack a few whenever you're exploring. Deploy them anywhere and they will stay in place neutrally buoyant and you can give them a name "Seabase" or "Wreck" or "<Biome Name>" or "Cave Entrance" or whatever

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Oh gently caress, that's right, you don't start with the Beacon by default. That's dumb!

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Ciaphas posted:

I looked on the wiki and spent an inordinate amount of time trying to get battery + cell chargers. I finally got a battery charger, and it turns out that the only (second, I'd scanned one cell and one battery charger in the first couple of hours of playing) cell charger left was in a dunes wreck near a leviathan. Since I was in the prawn suit it left me alone and I was able to get out, scan the power cell (on top of the wreck, the wreck has one door you can't open or cut open) and finally got the blueprints. The mushroom forest wrecks had gently caress all in them, same with the sea treader's path and other wrecks mentioned on the wiki. I think the second battery charger one I found was in a bulb zone wreck.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Skippy McPants posted:

Oh gently caress, that's right, you don't start with the Beacon by default. That's dumb!
You used to! Along with laser cutters, which I even now see spawning 3+ behind doors I needed a laser cutter to open in the first place :v:

There has been one notable improvement to navigation at least. They did polish up the lifepod with the compass. Back when we had signals to every single lifepod, there was one left out. A duplicate #3 (#6? been a while) lifepod, which was where the compass used to be stashed. Making the compass the single most missed databox in the entire game in that time.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Feb 14, 2018

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Magus42 posted:

Did you not listen to the warning when you entered the base that said "Oxygen production offline" ? :)

No, I listen to music when I play because the sounds terrify me late at night. :colbert:

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I waited too long to check the radio and as such the Sunbeam was glitched and wouldn't stop dying to the deactivated containment cannon.

Those last two bugged achievements taunt me so, but I've got a time capsule out in the rotation now:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Section Z posted:

You used to! Along with laser cutters, which I even now see spawning 3+ behind doors I needed a laser cutter to open in the first place :v:

There has been one notable improvement to navigation at least. They did polish up the lifepod with the compass. Back when we had signals to every single lifepod, there was one left out. A duplicate #3 (#6? been a while) lifepod, which was where the compass used to be stashed. Making the compass the single most missed databox in the entire game in that time.

I don't think I've ever actually navigated via the compass. I just orient myself around the beacons I've placed.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Internet Kraken posted:

I hatched a friendly crabsquid and immediately wanted to get more and surround my house with them.

5 minutes later I regret this horribly. He keeps sending out emp blasts that seem harmless but shatter my eardrums. :saddowns:

Crabsquid are poo poo pets.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I have put 100 hours into this game and I only just realized that the prawn uses two powercells and not just one....

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Grognan posted:

Crabsquid are poo poo pets.

But they're so cute! I had to put it down though, it was driving me crazy.

I'm so sorry squiddles :qq:

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
I'm now imagining an alternate path to winning by surrounding the gun facility with crabsquids and just emp-ing the fucker to death and then leaving and spreading your aids all over the galaxy.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

I wish the time capsule was big enough to hold a crabsquid.

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, señor!
40 hours in to the game, I just learned you can hold down shift to run while on foot...

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

PerOlus posted:

40 hours in to the game, I just learned you can hold down shift to run while on foot...

To be fair the only time I ever need to run in this game is when I'm trying to scan everything on the floating island so I can make with the base building :v: and that's less of a necessity and more "I'm not hunting for loving multipurpose room chunks to scan"

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I actually thought the island obscuring clouds were a great addition. Yes, technically its not realistic, but in terms of behaviours it encourages its exceptionally lifelike. It accurately simulates how you would want to act when at sea - you dont find islands so much by looking for them directly, but by watching the skies and looking for atypical weather patterns and cloud formations that indicate land.

Looking for island clouds was one of the first things I did in game and it was exceptionally satisfying to be rewarded for it!

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Skippy McPants posted:

The ending is pretty cool, but you could watch it on youtube if you don't have the mats for the rocket on hand and can't be arsed to farm them.

I do know that the achievements for building the rocket and launching a Time Capsule are currently bugged, though, so there's no harm in waiting is that's something you care about.

My first delve to the lava area with the cyclops i ended up crawling around with the prawn drilling everything, since it's got drill nodes for every single material it's easy to just spend a half hour or so running around doing nothing but gathering materials

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

GlyphGryph posted:

I actually thought the island obscuring clouds were a great addition. Yes, technically its not realistic, but in terms of behaviours it encourages its exceptionally lifelike. It accurately simulates how you would want to act when at sea - you dont find islands so much by looking for them directly, but by watching the skies and looking for atypical weather patterns and cloud formations that indicate land.

Looking for island clouds was one of the first things I did in game and it was exceptionally satisfying to be rewarded for it!

That's an interesting take, though I don't know if I'd credit it as deliberate.

Still, foibles aside, this is one of the most innovative and captivating worlds I've come across. And honestly, it doesn't have that much jank by the standards of open world games.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Feb 14, 2018

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Speaking off pet crab squids. I got one of them, and released it outside my base, thinking it would keep pesky stalkers away.

Turns out they are aggressive to your Seamoth. I also had to put it down sadly :(

Finished the game, what a journey. Put a stasis rifle with a nearly full ion battery, the compass thing and the scanner room HUD upgrade in my capsule. I would love to get those things early on.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Sloober posted:

My first delve to the lava area with the cyclops i ended up crawling around with the prawn drilling everything, since it's got drill nodes for every single material it's easy to just spend a half hour or so running around doing nothing but gathering materials

I did the same thing in Lost River. I was bound and determined to never run out of mats ever again.

Still managed to burn through my copper and magnetite supplies crafting dozens of range upgrades when I went around and plopped down scanning outposts in every biome, just because.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

420 Gank Mid posted:

find and scan the fragments for a "beacon" they are all around the safe shallows and you can almost certainly find a wreck with 3+ beacons to scan within ~100m of the lifepod

Copper + Titanium to build and it takes 1 inv spot so you can pack a few whenever you're exploring. Deploy them anywhere and they will stay in place neutrally buoyant and you can give them a name "Seabase" or "Wreck" or "<Biome Name>" or "Cave Entrance" or whatever

also rename the "Spooky Alien Tower Island :)" to "YOU MOTHERFUCKERS AAAAAA"

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I do wish the Beacons let you filter by color and/or type. I got to a point pretty quick where I was limiting how many I dropped because the screen took forever to scroll through.

Edit: And I still can't get over the fact that the water filtration machine takes up half the power output of a nuclear reactor. Like, less than an hour into the game you can easily find plants that sate your basic needs literally forever, so why bother making it cost so much?

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Feb 14, 2018

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Skippy McPants posted:

I do wish the Beacons let you filter by color and/or type. I got to a point pretty quick where I was limiting how many I dropped because the screen took forever to scroll through.

Edit: And I still can't get over the fact that the water filtration machine takes up half the power output of a nuclear reactor. Like, less than an hour into the game you can easily find plants that sate your basic needs literally forever, so why bother making it cost so much?

Less clicks = bad to the devs. My next playthrough will probably have that turned off since it's only ever a problem early on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Sloober posted:

Less clicks = bad to the devs. My next playthrough will probably have that turned off since it's only ever a problem early on.

I understand the need for a set number of clicks to keep the pace steady, but it woulda been cool if they'd gone with something like what Stardew Valley has where you gradually unlock more automation and quality of life stuff as the game progresses.