Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Bruceski posted:

I'm disappointed because for years The Last Leg on the channel 4 site has had Foster's ads which were just low-key, calm, and quiet; a nice breath between bits of the show. Now they have Coors ones that are some guy dancing in an empty ice bar that feel like they go on for 10 seconds too long even though they're probably the same length. I'm sure I'll adjust, but it's jarring.

That "some guy" is Jean Claude Van Damme, you philistine!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

raditts posted:

That "some guy" is Jean Claude Van Damme, you philistine!

Jean Claude Van Damme, at this point in his dead career, is merely "Some Guy".

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I'm increasingly bothered by the Southern New Hampshire University commercial that contains the phrase "the world in which we live equally divides talent." Really? Talent is equally divided? Screw you guys, I'm off to go compete in the men's downhill at the Winter Olympics, but first I'm going to solve the Hodge conjecture and finish up my Mannerist interpretation of Guernica (its kinda scary).

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Thin Privilege posted:

Comcast tailors ads. The algorithm is hosed and potentially intentionally so. I’m using my moms Comcast and she watches exclusively news shows so it makes sense that I get stupid ads for COMCAST IS GOOD FOR YOUR BUSINESS. But why am I still getting ads for food when I watch depressing shows about starvation, etc? Or like, an ad for a discount store when I watch Hoarders? I know I’ve complained about this before, but I’m just pissed that they have so much $$$$ but can’t afford for someone to work on their algorithm. It’s not hard.

If show = depressing show
Do not show ad about said depressing subject making it HILARIOUS

*watching show about poor people who can’t afford medical treatment
FUNNY AD FOR EXPENSIVE HEALTH INSURANCE COMPANY THAT ONLY THE RICH CAN AFFORD

Maybe the programmers at Comcast hate their jobs so much that they’re doing this intentionally as some way to like, pass the pain on or something. Relieve the pain they face as Comcast employees.

E: on the App so there’s only 1-2 commercials: I am watching the show about Waco Texas where they just talked about how nobody took children out of the burning building with video of the huge burning fire— (25 children died and they’re talking about that). Cut to an ad about Chucky Cheeze. Is this a sick joke? What in the loving gently caress.

E2: first you have the show of Elizabeth Smart talking about how she is starving and near death and show an ad for Digiornos with this happy party of people eating pizza. Now there’s this poo poo about Chucky Cheeze following children goddamn burning to death!

I’m gonna go throw up.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

BioEnchanted posted:

Jean Claude Van Damme, at this point in his dead career, is merely "Some Guy".

He was just in a really great tv show.

Yeah it was cancelled but that's because Amazon doesn't know what they're doing.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

I’m 50% hoping it’s real cause it proves my point sort of, and 50% hoping it’s fake cause death by fire is horrible. :/

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
That stuff happens all the time, I'm sure it's real. Like getting ads to buy plane tickets on a story about a plane crash.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I'm starting to notice more and more commercials featuring diverse families and I haven't heard about any backlash in the media.

Or maybe I'm not looking the right(?) places?

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Mister Kingdom posted:

I'm starting to notice more and more commercials featuring diverse families

The Consumer Cellular commercial with the old lady and husband with their obviously biracial granddaughter infuriates me. Not because of race-mixing or anything, it's because of the smug rear end way that she is obviously looking at the lid talking about "we've had to get used to a lot..."

It's like "well she's not as good as Jimmy's all white grandchildren, but she'll do..."

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
That ColoGuard box is awfully chipper considering his destiny is to have someone rip the top of his head off and poo poo down it.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Thanks streaming app for the Chicago Auto Show ad that never plays and screws up the video. :fuckoff:

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
That Progressive Insurance box is awfully chipper considering his destiny is to have someone mistake him for a ColoGuard box, rip the top of his head off and poo poo down it.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Unkempt posted:

That Progressive Insurance box is awfully chipper considering his destiny is to have someone mistake him for a ColoGuard box, rip the top of his head off and poo poo down it.

Or maybe that's WHY he's so chipper.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Polygynous posted:

argh

Those commercials with the woman in the elevator weren't completely intolerable the first few one-and-a-half quarter of a time but they just don't stop.

Am I insane or does that woman look and sound just like Leeta from Deep Space 9?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Thin Privilege posted:

So it’s whoever is buying ad space is evil then? Marketer sees “show about children dying, ad space $1,000” and they’re like, “sweet! I can put my children’s theme park ad in this!”

Is that how it works? I do not know :smith:

So in general it works one of two ways in television, and is always led by the company placing the ads. Typically this is based on direction from the business filtered through an ad-agency to do their media buying, but not always.

1) The objective is to buy a specific audience, usually with some criteria to avoid fraud such as time of day. Think of every ad as worth a certain value of the audience the media buyer is looking to get, with each additional ad bought adding to this tracked value. For the media buyer, if the goal is 100 points of audience Adults 25-35 from between 6-9, it doesn't really matter where it ends up as long as its from 6-9 and enough spots run to earn that value. For cable provider, all they need to know is that they do in fact have 100 points of inventory of ads open from 6-9. Neither one of these two people both buying and planning the media will have any earthly idea what the creative is.

2) The objective is to buy a specific show, typically for prestige. With this, you tend to get locked into a contract to buy X number of episodes on the condition you get the agreed total value of ad points as above. Nobody involved in buying or selling these spots will have any idea what the content of a given episode will be, so they're just hoping the general alignment of the show works out. Further, if the ad points value of the show drops below the contract "make goods" are issued, where ads now run in front of shows they were not planned to run in front of to make up the difference from the contract.

Now to avoid some egregious conflicts, the best you can do in television is black listing. Black listing on TV isn't very complex though, and is limited to certain programs or types of programs, but not individual episodes i.e. specific content. You probably don't recall this since it was years ago but the U.S. version of the TV series "Skins" was effectively killed via blacklisting as basically every single major TV media buying group had direct command from their clients prohibiting them from having their ads run during that show.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Unkempt posted:

My personal head cannon is that they are brothers and it's a Sylvester and Frank Stallone situation. I'm not sure which is who yet.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Radish posted:

My personal head cannon is that they are brothers and it's a Sylvester and Frank Stallone situation. I'm not sure which is who yet.

Nobody rips off Sly's head and shits down it! Have some respect!

Frank, otoh, well...

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

1) The objective is to buy a specific audience, usually with some criteria to avoid fraud such as time of day. Think of every ad as worth a certain value of the audience the media buyer is looking to get, with each additional ad bought adding to this tracked value. For the media buyer, if the goal is 100 points of audience Adults 25-35 from between 6-9, it doesn't really matter where it ends up as long as its from 6-9 and enough spots run to earn that value. For cable provider, all they need to know is that they do in fact have 100 points of inventory of ads open from 6-9. Neither one of these two people both buying and planning the media will have any earthly idea what the creative is.

Who actually schedules the commercials for a channel? I picture them as being low level, especially when they play the same commercial twice in one break.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

Who actually schedules the commercials for a channel? I picture them as being low level, especially when they play the same commercial twice in one break.

So that depends, a lot of it is automated now but there historically was a person. The reason youd need a person at all is because of contract stipulations on how the ads can run.

In industry terms each ad break where mutliple ads are planned to run is called a pod. Most contracts stipulate that an ad may only run once per pod and only in one pod per program. Further complicating this, pods are divvied up between national ad slots and local ad slots, and a lot of big companies refuse to run in a pod that would also contained a competitor or must be the first ad in a pod.

At this point you may notice what was seemingly a lot of inventory from 6-9 pm for ads has dwindled considerably. There may only be one slot possible during a show and suddenly the only contractually allowed spot that allows the network to meet the contract audience point total is campbells soup is after a self inflicted gunshot wound. Not that the planner would ever know, if its a real person theyre lucky to even know the names of the shows during the slots their putting the pods into and a computer would never make that connection.

As for two of the same ad in a break there are a couple reasons this can happen. 1) Error 2) It is a make good and this is the only pod with a makegood 3) The advertiser bought both national and local ad slots and they got stiched together into one pod 4) They have too much tv budget and decided “gently caress it”

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
We’re born to do what can’t be done
Do what you can’t
Samsung

WHAT THE gently caress DOES THAT MEAN AND WHAT DOES SAMSUNG HAVE TO DO WITH IT

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

The 2018 "woke" commercial formula is now just generic inspiring message, followed by a company name, in the lamest way possible to try to make you feel a good feeling and associate that feeling with the brand.

It's so trite.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Radish posted:

Look up "Sly Stallone glass table" and you'll know the answer

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

So dominoes is still touting that sad gently caress speed making delivery boxes as if it's an incredible thing to advertise.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

WampaLord posted:

The 2018 "woke" commercial formula is now just generic inspiring message, followed by a company name, in the lamest way possible to try to make you feel a good feeling and associate that feeling with the brand.

It's so trite.

I'd like to buy the world a Coke.

:fuckoff:

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Man I just saw an ad for some depression prescription I’ve never heard of, it was so bad. It was some mopey woman constantly holding up a paper smiley face on a popsicle stick wooden handle. So weird.

And why do depression prescription commercials always portray depression as simply being sad and mopey?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Mahoning posted:

And why do depression prescription commercials always portray depression as simply being sad and mopey?

Because they can't show the full depths of depravity that depression causes on TV?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

Because they can't show the full depths of depravity that depression causes on TV?

My more cynical thought was they want to try to convince people who are simply unhappy to seek a prescription.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Mahoning posted:

Also, you ever notice it’s ALWAYS a wife and mother?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

A ton of effort goes into choosing for drugs what are considered representative but generalized and safe demographics. Harvoni, a Hep C cure, absolutely shows you nobody who looks like what you might imagine when you think "person who has hepatitis C" nor does the ad for Opioid Induced Constipation. Relatedly, Humira for instance covers a massive segment of the US populace, but focuses on typically 30-50 year olds in ads because it is a drug of last resort and the manufacturer doesn't want an influx of young people who aren't far enough down the drug funnel for the product.

Mahoning posted:

My more cynical thought was they want to try to convince people who are simply unhappy to seek a prescription.

Drug manufacturers don't want to waste time on people who aren't going to get a prescription, they want the people who will guarantee ably get it, especially with drugs that have typically long periods of time between initial diagnosis and prescription. The commercial shows that since, like diseases where the drug only promises to keep you alive for 3-6 more months before you die, the average TV viewer even if they have the issue, doesn't want to be exposed to that imagery. It is a very planned decision to be evocative of but not triggering.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I feel like Heineken spends a lot of money airing this “We Could Be Heroes” commercial with some famous F1 driver in it. But, and maybe I’m wrong, but I feel like no one in the US knows who that guy is. Americans would barely recognize Richard Petty or AJ Foyt or Mario Andretti, and those guys are absolute legends of racing in the US.

Is it just a matter of Heineken spent too much on that ad so they just are trying to get their moneys worth?

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

A ton of effort goes into choosing for drugs what are considered representative but generalized and safe demographics. Harvoni, a Hep C cure, absolutely shows you nobody who looks like what you might imagine when you think "person who has hepatitis C" nor does the ad for Opioid Induced Constipation. Relatedly, Humira for instance covers a massive segment of the US populace, but focuses on typically 30-50 year olds in ads because it is a drug of last resort and the manufacturer doesn't want an influx of young people who aren't far enough down the drug funnel for the product.

Drug manufacturers don't want to waste time on people who aren't going to get a prescription, they want the people who will guarantee ably get it, especially with drugs that have typically long periods of time between initial diagnosis and prescription. The commercial shows that since, like diseases where the drug only promises to keep you alive for 3-6 more months before you die, the average TV viewer even if they have the issue, doesn't want to be exposed to that imagery. It is a very planned decision to be evocative of but not triggering.

The funniest part of recent drug commercials is the legal phase "Don't take Opdivo if you're allergic to Opdivo" as if you'll forget that kind of problem in the last six months of your life.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 10 days!)

Mahoning posted:

I feel like Heineken spends a lot of money airing this “We Could Be Heroes” commercial with some famous F1 driver in it. But, and maybe I’m wrong, but I feel like no one in the US knows who that guy is. Americans would barely recognize Richard Petty or AJ Foyt or Mario Andretti, and those guys are absolute legends of racing in the US.

Is it just a matter of Heineken spent too much on that ad so they just are trying to get their moneys worth?

It's an international ad. They just air it in the us because who cares.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

The funniest part of recent drug commercials is the legal phase "Don't take Opdivo if you're allergic to Opdivo" as if you'll forget that kind of problem in the last six months of your life.

That's always bugged me because it's just so dumb but I assume it's some legal rear end covering thing.

"Do not take X if you are allergic to it (or its ingredients)" just sounds at once completely obvious and completely useless. Particularly with apparently new drugs because how the gently caress would you know until you start taking it.

and/or it's the "doctor it hurts when I do this" / "stop doing that" joke. done seriously. on every drug ad.

Polygynous fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Feb 23, 2018

Clamknuckle
Sep 7, 2006

Groovy
They brought back the Geico Cavemen. They are curling now.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
How does Geico run an insurance business when they spend one trillion dollars on ads annually?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
They insured their budget through Admiral and are performing insurance fraud.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities
That Red Bull ad with the dogs skeeves me out. The one where someone took the time to draw the mom dog's dugs and the dad dog's dong. I don't know if Europeans do those ads, but it feels like something weird Europeans would do with their cartoons.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Majorian posted:

That Red Bull ad with the dogs skeeves me out. The one where someone took the time to draw the mom dog's dugs and the dad dog's dong. I don't know if Europeans do those ads, but it feels like something weird Europeans would do with their cartoons.

I also hate that ad for the same reasons. I know sex sells and all, but gross.

The Kyleena commercial with all the women making this stupid face is also terrible:

Compounded by the fact that my mother complains about it at length every time she's over.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Labes for days posted:

I also hate that ad for the same reasons. I know sex sells and all, but gross.

The Kyleena commercial with all the women making this stupid face is also terrible:

Compounded by the fact that my mother complains about it at length every time she's over.

Yeah that ad seems like a parody ad Saturday Night Live would’ve done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
How is that real.

I can't avoid mentally adding some female version of the Tim Allen grunt. What the gently caress.