Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

spasticColon posted:

But discreet GPUs would still be a lot better for buttcoin mining. 704 SPs at 1250MHz on slower DDR4 RAM ain't going to mine a bunch of buttcoins like a dedicated video card would.

You need a CPU in your mining rig anyway, might as well have it do some work. Also, a GTX 1060 or RX 580 were $500 GPUs at the worst of this, so the price / perf of these iGPUs actually isn't bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Twerk from Home posted:

You need a CPU in your mining rig anyway, might as well have it do some work. Also, a GTX 1060 or RX 580 were $500 GPUs at the worst of this, so the price / perf of these iGPUs actually isn't bad.

CPU or APU mining doesn't make sense in terms of profit-per-watt, and power limits are usually the actual limitation for most miners (or at least those without 100A 240V service).

edit: and I never saw 1060s for $500... $350-400 at most. Which is absurd enough, but $500+ is really more like 1070 territory.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Feb 13, 2018

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

Twerk from Home posted:

Well then death to the buttcoiners.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

CPU or APU mining doesn't make sense in terms of profit-per-watt, and power limits are usually the actual limitation for most miners (or at least those without 100A 240V service).

edit: and I never saw 1060s for $500... $350-400 at most. Which is absurd enough, but $500+ is really more like 1070 territory.

A friend of mine is elbow deep in the poop, and because of GPU prices going up he's switched to buying quad-socket AMD Opteron 6380 servers. He's got 10 of them so far at I believe an average price a bit under $800 each. You mine the coins like Monero or Verium that aren't easy to GPU mine.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

spasticColon posted:

Well then death to the buttcoiners.

We'll set up a dedicated GPU (Guillotine Processing Unit) just for them, with a high MH/s (Making Headless per Slice) rate. :haw:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Twerk from Home posted:

A friend of mine is elbow deep in the poop, and because of GPU prices going up he's switched to buying quad-socket AMD Opteron 6380 servers. He's got 10 of them so far at I believe an average price a bit under $800 each. You mine the coins like Monero or Verium that aren't easy to GPU mine.

People do it, especially given how bare the GPU market is at the moment, but it's still a stupid idea. Take a 1920X, you get half the Cryptonight hashrate of a Vega 56 for the same power, at roughly the same price (current market price).

If you can find some older hardware with tons of L3$ very cheaply it's not a terrible idea, any more than it's a terrible idea to pick up GCN 1.0 hardware if you can find that cheaply. Cheap hardware is cheap hardware. But most people are more constrained by their wiring than anything, and half the hashrate at the same power = half the power efficiency. If you are really going elbow-deep in the poop you need to think about efficiency because you can only run so much hardware on your standard 15A-peak/12A-continuous household circuit, and that's going to become your bottleneck. 120V really cannot carry all that much power.

Unless you have spare 240V circuits, of course. Those can carry a lot more power, but still, only a couple of rigs per circuit. Or if you go ahead and rent out a commercial space with commercial electricity - which is probably a smart idea if you don't want heatstroke.

The math for scaling out your mining op beyond a handful of rigs favors running Celerons and putting the money into an extra GPU or two instead of a super-powerful processor, both in a profit-per-dollar and a profit-per-watt sense. I really doubt you would see many professional mining ops with Ryzens, Threadrippers, or Opterons.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Feb 13, 2018

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Twerk from Home posted:

so how hard do you think you can laugh at him before he isn't your friend anymore?

Paul MaudDib posted:

professional mining ops

oh, are those the ones where they use metal ikea shelves instead of plywood and zipties or milk crates?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Klyith posted:

oh, are those the ones where they use metal ikea shelves instead of plywood and zipties or milk crates?
They're the ones you don't see pictures of. An academic institution I'm associated with received a donation of 140 rack mounted systems with GTX 560 Tis in them during one of the bitcoin crashes that happened around the dawn of asics.

They were reasonably well maintained. Some of the GPUs had reliability issues after a while, but they were used 24/7 for crypto then 24/7 for research so really how long can they last? I'd say around 80% of them are still fully functional and they've been in use 24/7 since the 560 Ti came out. None are underclocked or anything. They run at stock settings.

I can't imagine there are many/any like that in the US anymore.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Feb 14, 2018

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
https://wccftech.com/amd-zeppelin-soc-isscc-detailed-7nm-epyc-64-cores-rumor/

AMD presentation on the underlying details of Zen. Definitely a "look at a pretty pictures" kind of article, WCCFT's words here are so utterly devoid of meaning they could have just done lorem ipsum and had about an equal amount of content added.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

SwissArmyDruid posted:

https://wccftech.com/amd-zeppelin-soc-isscc-detailed-7nm-epyc-64-cores-rumor/

AMD presentation on the underlying details of Zen. Definitely a "look at a pretty pictures" kind of article, WCCFT's words here are so utterly devoid of meaning they could have just done lorem ipsum and had about an equal amount of content added.

Surprise, at least 99% of the Internet is filled byno-effort crap for viewcount raking ad revenue.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Which is fine, this is just the first place I'd seen post the slides from that presentation, just a friendly note to skip any words that aren't on pictures.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Looks like the bullshit at NewEgg caught up with them regarding the APU prices:

https://www.gamersnexus.net/industry/3236-newegg-partially-refunds-customers-for-overpriced-apu-purchases

:lol:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7o1ITMw-O2o

Speaking of GN and APUs, I wasn't originally going to link this, but three things:

1) APUs appear to be a monolithic die, as opposed to an MCM.
2) AMD does what Intel doesn't, and have an island on the backside of their heatspreader. I'm hoping that because of the island, there's less thermal paste that heat has to get to to get to the heat spreader, and is basically what I've been saying Intel should do for nigh-on a loving decade now.
3) That is one thick-rear end heatspreader. Seriously, almost the entire thickness of the heatspreader is solid, it's just a small island and a slightly-taller parapet. One wonders if they couldn't have gotten away with thinner if they had not insisted on allowing the re-use of AM3 cooler mounting hardware.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Feb 14, 2018

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
(0) Oh Steve, you so sassy.

(1) Ryzen is a monolithic die too, that's not actually surprising.

(2) The island is a good idea. I've actually gone farther and said that I think they should flip the interposer upside down, connect the MCM dies to the backside and draw the heat down. Maybe even with a peltier (since there will not be that much heat overall). That way they could have an active interposer on the top (now bottom). I mean, the problem is the dies stacked on top that aren't letting heat through, right? Let's turn that frown upside down.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

People do it, especially given how bare the GPU market is at the moment, but it's still a stupid idea. Take a 1920X, you get half the Cryptonight hashrate of a Vega 56 for the same power, at roughly the same price (current market price).

If you can find some older hardware with tons of L3$ very cheaply it's not a terrible idea, any more than it's a terrible idea to pick up GCN 1.0 hardware if you can find that cheaply. Cheap hardware is cheap hardware. But most people are more constrained by their wiring than anything, and half the hashrate at the same power = half the power efficiency. If you are really going elbow-deep in the poop you need to think about efficiency because you can only run so much hardware on your standard 15A-peak/12A-continuous household circuit, and that's going to become your bottleneck. 120V really cannot carry all that much power.

Unless you have spare 240V circuits, of course. Those can carry a lot more power, but still, only a couple of rigs per circuit. Or if you go ahead and rent out a commercial space with commercial electricity - which is probably a smart idea if you don't want heatstroke.

The math for scaling out your mining op beyond a handful of rigs favors running Celerons and putting the money into an extra GPU or two instead of a super-powerful processor, both in a profit-per-dollar and a profit-per-watt sense. I really doubt you would see many professional mining ops with Ryzens, Threadrippers, or Opterons.

I talked to the guy about it, and he's got 2 30A 240V circuits going to where the rack is, and one power rail of the rack plugged into each circuit. It looks like those Opteron 6380s hash at about the same rate as an R7-1700 or 1700X, so $200 per socket all-in including CPUs, power supplies, RAM, cases, etc sounds like a decent deal. It also looks like cryptocurrency mining is best case workload for CMT.

Now, he's still hosed if prices go any lower, but buying used hardware seems like a saner way to do this.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Feb 14, 2018

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Twerk from Home posted:

I talked to the guy about it, and he's got 2 30A 240V circuits going to where the rack is, and one power rail of the rack plugged into each circuit. It looks like those Opteron 6380s hash at about the same rate as an R7-1700 or 1700X, so $200 per socket all-in including CPUs, power supplies, RAM, cases, etc sounds like a decent deal. It also looks like cryptocurrency mining is best case workload for CMT.

Now, he's still hosed if prices go any lower, but buying used hardware seems like a saner way to do this.

Nice. I still think he could probably squeeze a bit more out of his budget/power with GPU mining (even at current eBay prices) but if he can push a couple hundred H/s per socket that's doing pretty well for CPU mining on cost/power.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/7xhren/raven_ridge_ryzen_5_2400g_delidding_beforeafter/du916i5/

Non-APU parts to continue to be soldered, straight from the fingers of someone over at AMD purporting to be Robert Hallock. I don't think that was a worry, though.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I keep seeing people talking about deliding, which I didn't know was actually a thing. How hard can you push these if you delid it and toss a better cooling solution on?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

The regular CPUs (R# 1XXX), probably not much. I believe all SKUs are already soldered where the Intel units all have TIM.

Delidded APU results are still coming through.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

NewFatMike posted:

The regular CPUs (R# 1XXX), probably not much. I believe all SKUs are already soldered where the Intel units all have TIM.

Delidded APU results are still coming through.

GN posted their delid results last night already. Basically boiled down to 11-15c drop in temps. OC'd on air it thermal throttled on normal TIM.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
But they still haven't posted what that translates to in terms of overclock or benchmark yet. I can see why AMD would just TIM the caps if some other factor is the bottleneck.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

But they still haven't posted what that translates to in terms of overclock or benchmark yet. I can see why AMD would just TIM the caps if some other factor is the bottleneck.

cost is

Solder is more expensive. Intel wants to protect its margins.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I mean in the sense of "there's not much more room to overclock beyond what was already possible with TIM" GN's overclock shows them already pushing 3.8GHz @ 1.4 volts, after all.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Buy a Ryzen APU with your AM4 board, but have no way to update the board's BIOS so it actually works? Don't worry, AMD will mail you a new in box A6-9500.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/02/amd-sending-out-free-processors-to-solve-firmware-flashing-catch-22/

AMD wants you to send it back after... but just the chip. You can keep the HSF and box(?). Thats one way to write off the deadstock i guess.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

That is all kinds of cool. Do they just include a little return envelope and plastic sheath or something to drop the chip in?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Cygni posted:

You can keep the HSF

on a related note, if I throw my stack of old stock heatsinks into the recycling, will they be able to do anything with them?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Cygni posted:

Buy a Ryzen APU with your AM4 board, but have no way to update the board's BIOS so it actually works? Don't worry, AMD will mail you a new in box A6-9500.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/02/amd-sending-out-free-processors-to-solve-firmware-flashing-catch-22/

AMD wants you to send it back after... but just the chip. You can keep the HSF and box(?). Thats one way to write off the deadstock i guess.

Okay that's pretty loving nice of them TBH

I'm starting a better job in a couple months and will be looking at a THREADRIPPER V2 or whatever it's going to be called.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Read that yesterday and slammed in my order for that PC Mate for $50 after MIR + $20 mouse. I was going to RMA return this 2200G to Newegg but if AMD will help me update the BIOS then I'm down for a mobo deal.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Klyith posted:

on a related note, if I throw my stack of old stock heatsinks into the recycling, will they be able to do anything with them?

It depends on the recycling program. Some of them won't take random stuff that's not an obvious food container or marked with a plastic recycling number. I think stuff they can't handle just goes into the trash. An e-waste program will usually take random computer stuff and sort it for reselling or scrapping or whatever.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
It's dumb that USB flashback isn't standard nowadays, but good on AMD for helping out.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

It's dumb that USB flashback isn't standard nowadays, but good on AMD for helping out.

I only saw Asus motherboards having this feature (and not on all models). Are there any other manufacturers? 'Cause if not, is probably because of some lovely patents. Asus motherboards have 2 fantastic features that I haven't seen anywhere else: ASUS Q-Connector and USB BIOS flash. The only explanation I have is that ASUS must have some patents or some other exclusivity deal on them, because it's obvious that both features are extremely useful.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Gigabyte has it on some boards as well.

edit: looks like MSI and Asrock have it on some boards too.

Nobody really implements it consistently across all their boards, though, which is annoying. It doesn't seem like it would be that hard a feature to implement and it's very useful. Maybe it is a patent situation then...

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Feb 17, 2018

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Klyith posted:

the non-fan parts are just blocks of pure aluminum

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Volguus posted:

I only saw Asus motherboards having this feature (and not on all models). Are there any other manufacturers? 'Cause if not, is probably because of some lovely patents. Asus motherboards have 2 fantastic features that I haven't seen anywhere else: ASUS Q-Connector and USB BIOS flash. The only explanation I have is that ASUS must have some patents or some other exclusivity deal on them, because it's obvious that both features are extremely useful.

I think every motherboard manufacturer has the feature, it's just restricted to the top-end boards.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Klyith posted:

If you have enough of them you can bring them to a metal recycler and get money for them. They're paying €0,85 per kg of aluminium and €4,30 per kg of copper locally. Probably not worth the gas money for aluminium but if you had a dozen of those old 700g solid copper Zalmans it could be interesting. Personally i'd just throw them in the metal recycling bin we have at the recycling center.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Over here in Belgium, if you bring an overabundance of copper to the recycler, they will want to have receipts of where you got that poo poo. So if you bring a lot of heatsinks to them, they might get antsy whether you stole that poo poo or not.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Saw this float by on r/amd, apparently Threadripper is bulletproof :haw:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Combat Pretzel posted:

Over here in Belgium, if you bring an overabundance of copper to the recycler, they will want to have receipts of where you got that poo poo. So if you bring a lot of heatsinks to them, they might get antsy whether you stole that poo poo or not.

yeah it's like 6, not 100

but it's junk I'm not using and never will use in the future and I wanna get rid of it, but have always been loath to just trash it. guess I'll throw it in the recycling and hope for the best

New Zealand can eat me posted:

Saw this float by on r/amd, apparently Threadripper is bulletproof :haw:

wtf did the pump violently self-destruct or did someone actually shoot their pc?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Klyith posted:

wtf did the pump violently self-destruct or did someone actually shoot their pc?

It was the Gigabyte assassin killer the in the computer room with the heatsink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Pump doesn't sit over the CPU die. Looks like someone shot it.