Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Falcon2001 posted:

loving skyblock base design is my worst thing. I at best have several stacked planes.
There's not really any incentive to build nicely since you never get a vantage point from the outside.

The only time I ever build nice things is on a server where other people are going to see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Okay, it's real simple. You've made a setup somewhere on your flat plane that's nearly automated or doesn't need constant access. Take that series of machines and pipes and what not, consider if you need to expand it by stamping down similar copies later on, then put down a building (with walls!) to encompass that. Build something else that relies on its output? Place down a building adjacent to it of different dimensions. Hell, build it on top or throw down a basement if you want to change up the verticality.

Skyblock starts off with big farms for trees and food. FENCE THAT FUCKER IN. Build little floating cobblestone islands, top them up with dirt to hide that nasty surface look and dot them with trees. Build little bridges to them.

Once you've got a handle on that you can pre-plan things and like attempt to hide the pipes/conduits behind walls/subfloors or throw in columns because columns are sweet.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Why would I want to do anything in a skyblock that prevents me having as quick access to everything I'm doing as possible? Walls just get in the way.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Yeah, I ended up with a 'laning' system in MSB2 that I liked a bit, where I had 'roads' that extended out from spawn in 4 directions, and then periodic grids between them.

That being said, I like having half floors, or just tall ceilings on lower floors. Have a six block gap between floors and it gives you room to both have some stuff down onthat floor and run conduit/etc for the floor above.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Black Pants posted:

Why would I want to do anything in a skyblock that prevents me having as quick access to everything I'm doing as possible? Walls just get in the way.

Because you are a person somewhat concerned about the aesthetic of your solutions instead of being thoroughly oriented towards the goal.
Neverending cobblestone drives me slightly nuts. :v:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

stone bricks at minimum

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Sage Grimm posted:

Because you are a person somewhat concerned about the aesthetic of your solutions instead of being thoroughly oriented towards the goal.
Neverending cobblestone drives me slightly nuts. :v:

I make everything out of grass.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Sage Grimm posted:

Neverending <Name your block of choice> drives me slightly nuts. :v:

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Cobblestone, but a poorly tiled chisel variant as the lower half slab so bobs can’t spawn

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

This is close to the end of MSB2

(im ramping up my black ingot production to make the elite crafting stuff..... but the stacking of everything sucks. ie, one you make a basic crafting table, you need to make another 2 to make the next level, and then it looks like almost 4 of those for the elite as you need 4 intermediate parts to make 1 elite...)

But here is what im left with (my tinkers smeltry goes up to max height) (and i never found out how to make the proper end portal so i just cheated in the normal one after trashign the mats to make it.) And the double white carpet set up in the distance makes all of the botania guardian fights a cake walk.

This is my 3x ore processing/crafting setup

My tower of empower (with the remnants of my embers mod progression that survived the wither escaping)

My main power set up. The reactor runs at max temp, the rf is not used, it only created the precursor to blutonium. My entire base runs easily off the chaotic solars you see. The induction cube is maxed power too....with top cells. But you can see my bank of culinary generators that powered my first blocks of empowered stuff....

My botania set up was initally going to be elaborate. The i found that gourm's suck, so just bonsai endoflames. The far side is my villager town. Its just rows of doors.... the villagers dont mind though. When the mana pools get full i do 34 terrasteel ingots

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

:staredog:

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
Enderman Evolution, right?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Toadsmash posted:

Enderman Evolution, right?
Yeah, that's from Evolution. At least they'll leave you alone if you don't attack them.

So anyway, I restarted MSB3 again, but this time I was going in with a goal. My problem was that I was always rushing through Sky Resources, so I ended up not having enough basic resources once I got towards the end of the initial tiers. This time around I made sure to get resources (TiCon's kama makes that a lot easier since it shears leaves), and I did a more focused base build.

View from the top of my alchemy tower:

Now all I need is a blaze rod and to do the slime trees and I can move to the next tiers.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

I'm having trouble finding the mod this is from. "Enderman Evolution" doesn't seem to return anything useful.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Evolution is the modpack,

endermen are what are stealing the snow blocks.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

McFrugal posted:

I'm having trouble finding the mod this is from. "Enderman Evolution" doesn't seem to return anything useful.

Apparently it's from https://minecraft.curseforge.com/projects/enderman-evolution .

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Hmm okay, I assumed since the endermen in the image on that page weren't glowing green it was something different.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

This is going to sound stupid, but which mod in MSB3 is adding the durability numbers to the interface? I went through the list but didn't see a mod that specifically did that.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

So someone went out of their way to make endermen more annoying than usual?

MSB2 Question

I see i need an armour ingot singularity. Armour shards only drop in goblin fortresses? or can i catch a crab, bring it home and mob duplicate it?

If not, draconic or chaotic core in a spawner?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Meskhenet posted:

So someone went out of their way to make endermen more annoying than usual?

MSB2 Question

I see i need an armour ingot singularity. Armour shards only drop in goblin fortresses? or can i catch a crab, bring it home and mob duplicate it?

If not, draconic or chaotic core in a spawner?

Check to see if it's got a mystical agriculture seed maybe?

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.

Evil Mastermind posted:

This is going to sound stupid, but which mod in MSB3 is adding the durability numbers to the interface? I went through the list but didn't see a mod that specifically did that.

That's In Game Info XML, which as you might guess by the name, is configurable strictly by XML file. If you track down a guide for it, please let me know, because the default configs for that mod are terrible for almost every pack it's used in and I've been hunting for one for ages. Pack authors don't bother customizing it even when its default configs dump HUD elements directly over other mods' stuff that's used for their pack's core progression and it drives me insane.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Toadsmash posted:

That's In Game Info XML, which as you might guess by the name, is configurable strictly by XML file. If you track down a guide for it, please let me know, because the default configs for that mod are terrible for almost every pack it's used in and I've been hunting for one for ages.\
Ah, thanks. I did find this site, but I don't know enough about XML to tell how good it is.

Where does MSB3 keep the actual XML files? Or does it use defaults?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I'm still messing around with this Blightfall play-through until I've tuned everything. Last time I just quit when I had the sustainable means of getting all the Dawn Machine essentia, but this time I'm trying to optimize that. Along the way, I was running into problems with channels. A bunch of my essentia level emitters and essentia export buses weren't getting channels. I had a dense cable that something like only 7 things used on it at the maximum. Then I figured out it whizzed under one of my ME drives, somehow plugged into it, and formed an ad hoc network. Is that some kind of rule with ME drives? Most things don't directly connect to them, so I was surprised to see a drive did.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I'm still messing around with this Blightfall play-through until I've tuned everything. Last time I just quit when I had the sustainable means of getting all the Dawn Machine essentia, but this time I'm trying to optimize that. Along the way, I was running into problems with channels. A bunch of my essentia level emitters and essentia export buses weren't getting channels. I had a dense cable that something like only 7 things used on it at the maximum. Then I figured out it whizzed under one of my ME drives, somehow plugged into it, and formed an ad hoc network. Is that some kind of rule with ME drives? Most things don't directly connect to them, so I was surprised to see a drive did.

No, you can make an ad-hoc network with an ME drive. It's just another component -- things plug into it like normal. That's typically my first network -- ad-hoc with an ME drive and a crafting terminal only.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Drives carry channels/power yeah, so do block-style interfaces and molecular assemblers. I don't think anything else does though. But I guess it's so you can have a chain of drives without needing to connect a cable to every single one. Same goes for interface/assemblers, you can make a big pile to maximize interface-assembler surface area.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I should maybe expand what I'm trying to talk about. This was roughly what I was doing:

1. I had an ME controller at the center.
2. I had this one dense cable running out from it.
3. Along the way, it ran under an ME drive and connected to it.
4. Beyond that, the dense cable was servicing a series of essentia level emitters and essentia export buses.

What I saw was the cable at #2 was servicing 0 channels. The cable after the drive was servicing 7. I had devices without channels.

I had to reroute the cable around the ME drive and suddenly everything came online.

My theory that I checking here is that when that dense cable connected to the ME drive, it formed an ad hoc network that would only service up to 8 devices--of which 1 was the drive itself. I just thought it absurd given I had the line terminating at my controller.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
For anyone who really didn't like Forever Stranded, the new reboot of Forever Stranded: Lost Souls is pretty different, not just rebooted in the Nether. It doesn't have temperature regulation, or thirst.

It has similar Ex Nihilo with sieves, but it also has exploration/oregen in the Nether, which isn't so bad. I don't think I'd start with Hardcore, though, there's a few bullshit mobs.

The big thing that gates progress is skill levels, which you buy with experience - e.g. you have to have Mining 6 to use an iron pickaxe, Building 4 to use chests, etc. It doesn't take many mob kills to get the experience to mine with flint, and then mining Nether Coal gets you progressing pretty fast.

It also uses PrimalMod as an early mod for making flint tools a little trickier - flaking flint on stone in order to use it, etc. I think having this mod set in the Nether makes this aspect feel better, since I'm breaking cool nether plants instead of stupid overworld plants to make twine.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I should maybe expand what I'm trying to talk about. This was roughly what I was doing:

1. I had an ME controller at the center.
2. I had this one dense cable running out from it.
3. Along the way, it ran under an ME drive and connected to it.
4. Beyond that, the dense cable was servicing a series of essentia level emitters and essentia export buses.

What I saw was the cable at #2 was servicing 0 channels. The cable after the drive was servicing 7. I had devices without channels.

I had to reroute the cable around the ME drive and suddenly everything came online.

My theory that I checking here is that when that dense cable connected to the ME drive, it formed an ad hoc network that would only service up to 8 devices--of which 1 was the drive itself. I just thought it absurd given I had the line terminating at my controller.

I would have said that having the cable run directly through an ME block would only pick up 8 channels after the block because it's an ME network rule. But since your dense cable was running adjacent it might be what you're theorizing.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Sage Grimm posted:

I would have said that having the cable run directly through an ME block would only pick up 8 channels after the block because it's an ME network rule. But since your dense cable was running adjacent it might be what you're theorizing.

I don't think it's an issue of the former since I have a three pairings of 1k storage with extra crafting CPUs after it, and I have far more than 8 devices after them. It seems to be peculiar to the ME drive.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Starting to play minecraft again after a couple years away. Are there any new modpacks like Terra Firma Craft?

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Nnnnnno? Nothing quite like the full overhaul of TFC, anyway. Though if you like, TechNodeFirmaCraft EZ is probably still available some pages back in the thread where I decided I wanted to play it again.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Homestead on the ATlauncher is based on TFC

https://www.atlauncher.com/pack/Homestead

I was doing quite well in it and then winter hit and all my crops died.

I think it is more of a team based since I was spending so much time chopping down trees (which fall and need to be chopped and the leaves hacked through) that I hadn't advanced enough to get the item that will warm your crops.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Feb 13, 2018

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

OgNar posted:

I think it is more of a team based since I was spending so much time chopping down trees (which fall and need to be chopped and the leaves hacked through) that I hadn't advanced enough to get the item that will warm your crops.

I never played this, but if it was anything like terrafirmacraft, you just straight up had to collect enough food to last the winter, because there was nothing available other than hunting game.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I never played this, but if it was anything like terrafirmacraft, you just straight up had to collect enough food to last the winter, because there was nothing available other than hunting game.

Bugs, specifically cooked termites, are an amazing and renewable early food supply. Wheat is mega slow but carrots or Pam's veggies grow pretty quick, as do vanilla beets.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

dragonshardz posted:

Bugs, specifically cooked termites, are an amazing and renewable early food supply. Wheat is mega slow but carrots or Pam's veggies grow pretty quick, as do vanilla beets.

If this is a "realism" mod those carrots and other vegetables will rot quickly. Wheat grains preserve forever, much better for winter.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
It doesnt have the rotting part of TFC in it, I did figure out later that Pams crops are not affected by winter or freezing. But seeds can only be found by breaking grass. No Pams food clusters and crops cannot be turned into seeds.

Its a decent 1.10 hardcore modpack over all for someone like me who hates anything with a gregtech like level of complication.

I have been drifting between Homestead and DW1.12.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Rutibex posted:

If this is a "realism" mod those carrots and other vegetables will rot quickly. Wheat grains preserve forever, much better for winter.

OgNar posted:

It doesnt have the rotting part of TFC in it, I did figure out later that Pams crops are not affected by winter or freezing. But seeds can only be found by breaking grass. No Pams food clusters and crops cannot be turned into seeds.

Its a decent 1.10 hardcore modpack over all for someone like me who hates anything with a gregtech like level of complication.

I have been drifting between Homestead and DW1.12.

I've gotten to the point where I can make Soulforged Steel but holy gently caress it's a labor-intensive, highly manual process. Place clay block on turntable and spin it down to an urn, run a bunch of ground netherrack through a soulsand filter hopper, cook end stone block-by-block down into ender slag, cook the slag into soul flux, then combine coal dust, steel, soul urn, and soul flux in a crucible to make one (1) soulforged steel ingot.

I need to figure out a way to automate this poo poo.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Has the optimal MSB2 patch changed? Last I heard 2.5.5.5 was best. Also I am just starting, what's with the various island types? It looks like the snow start forces you to make a mob dropper before anything else since all you have is infinite snow. The sand start looks like it forces you to make compressed cactus to build with??? At least you have an easy source of food with the sand start since you can eat cacti after making a cactus cutting knife out of thorns. I can't tell what you're supposed to do with the wood start since all you have is water, one string, and 8 wood. Or maybe more than 8 wood since you can use the water to carve out the bottom of your island. Really curious how you get a sapling in any island other than grass.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

McFrugal posted:

Has the optimal MSB2 patch changed? Last I heard 2.5.5.5 was best. Also I am just starting, what's with the various island types? It looks like the snow start forces you to make a mob dropper before anything else since all you have is infinite snow. The sand start looks like it forces you to make compressed cactus to build with??? At least you have an easy source of food with the sand start since you can eat cacti after making a cactus cutting knife out of thorns. I can't tell what you're supposed to do with the wood start since all you have is water, one string, and 8 wood. Or maybe more than 8 wood since you can use the water to carve out the bottom of your island. Really curious how you get a sapling in any island other than grass.

I don't know what the "optimal" patch is, but the latest one is fine I guess?

Snow requires you to make a dark room early. It doesn't have to be a dropper; I just made a 2x8 enclosed space 24 blocks away from the main area, then watched the minimap for hostile mob spawns, then went over there and chucked heavy snowballs at monsters.

Wood island is all about fishing. You make a survivalist fishing rod, and just fish and fish and fish until you get dirt and saplings. It's stupid.

Press the G key for the super early game stuff about Sky Resources. It teaches you how to get dirt and a sapling in each route.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I don't know what the "optimal" patch is, but the latest one is fine I guess?

Snow requires you to make a dark room early. It doesn't have to be a dropper; I just made a 2x8 enclosed space 24 blocks away from the main area, then watched the minimap for hostile mob spawns, then went over there and chucked heavy snowballs at monsters.

Wood island is all about fishing. You make a survivalist fishing rod, and just fish and fish and fish until you get dirt and saplings. It's stupid.

Press the G key for the super early game stuff about Sky Resources. It teaches you how to get dirt and a sapling in each route.

Well I mean didn't later patches get seriously grind-tastic?