Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

MC Hawking posted:

Excellent post, very informative. Pretty much the only non Google suite application I think I'd be using is direct TV now and some kind of .cbr file reader. And if dual boot to GalliumOS is as easy as you say, I can just use that for what mild image manipulation I may need.

I'll just add that I've had my c302 for a couple of weeks now and it's been perfect for doing basic bullshit that I need to do in class/on campus. I can't stand the keyboard layout on the Samsung, although I think I would prefer the 3:2 display at this point since most of what I do on this is word processing/online test taking/research, but I'm not willing to shell out for the pixelbook to have the 3:2 display and a non-lovely keyboard. I remote into a VM on my home server if I need to do any heavy lifting and it works well enough on the school's painfully slow internet. Printing through google cloud print works fine for me.

It's a nice little machine with good battery life (and USB-C charging), a solid keyboard, and a really nice build quality. I think you'd be happy with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

MC Hawking posted:

Excellent post, very informative. Pretty much the only non Google suite application I think I'd be using is direct TV now and some kind of .cbr file reader. And if dual boot to GalliumOS is as easy as you say, I can just use that for what mild image manipulation I may need.

I've never done dual-booting or used GalliumOS though. I've used Crouton to install Ubuntu though, and it's pretty simple and functional albeit not even needed for my purposes (there's a link in the OP almost right at the top.)

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Okay, thanks for the input gang. I did some more digging on available chrome applications, available android apps, and the Crouton environment. I find it hilarious that I could install that, steam, and then Civilization. If only I could dig up a copy of Alpha Centari I'd really be meta. ;)

Unfortunately Amazon Warehouse ran out of the $398 units and the cheapest is $422. I also scoured ebay and Best Buy has refurb units for $417, so not really an appreciable difference, and way longer shipping time. Not a big deal though, 30 day returns if this turns out to not be to my liking. And if it is good enough, great! If google is really dedicated to long term support of these devices and continual improvements of the OS, I'll be a happy camper. It'll be nice to have integration between my phone, laptop, and desktop without having to jump through fifteen different hoops.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
C302 came in the mail today. All I gotta say is gang, this screen is bananas good.

I'll add more thoughts as I get into the nitty gritty of this device.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

*i slowly unbutton ur RAM hatch*

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So I picked up an Acer R11 today. It's definitely the most plastic computer I've ever used... but holy crap I can't believe how well Android apps work on it. I literally cannot.

I've tried so, so many devices to do the tablet + laptop thing and this one might be the best yet. Windows 10 tries, it really does, but the apps aren't there. The iPad Pro, even with the Smart Keyboard cover, doesn't quite get it right.

I'm gonna recommend this thing to everyone I know. I only wish it was slightly more premium feeling.

[Edit: is there any way to skip tracks playing through an Android app with a keyboard shortcut? I can always pull up the notification so it's not a big deal if there's not.]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Feb 11, 2018

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

MC Hawking posted:

Okay, thanks for the input gang. I did some more digging on available chrome applications, available android apps, and the Crouton environment. I find it hilarious that I could install that, steam, and then Civilization. If only I could dig up a copy of Alpha Centari I'd really be meta. ;)

https://www.gog.com/game/sid_meiers_alpha_centauri

Six bucks at GOG. The Windows version runs great under Wine.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
- Handling multiple google account logins is a little whacky. The first account logged in is assigned as "device owner/admin", and any subsequent account you add on the login screen does not have access to the Play Store. I cannot figure out how to change this. Not a big deal though because of point 2:
-After a bit I figured out how to sign secondary accounts in Chrome Browser, which means I can be logged in my main administrator account, yet still swap over to my school linked account for Drive and Docs access. Not immediately evident that this is an option, but for grandma who isn't juggling 5+ accounts it won't be a problem.
-This thing is stupid quick at application switching, screen rotation, and booting up. I really liked that it immediately grabbed several OS updates not ten minutes after I booted up and logged in, and installed them in almost no time flat.
- Bluetooth doesn't want to pipe sound to my speaker for some reason. It'll connect no problem, it just doesn't want to output. I don't know why this is and I'm going to get ahold of some other bluetooth enabled devices to see if this is why this device was sent back to Warehouse. Glad to see that Google is consistent in being bad at wireless.
-Swapping between laptop and tablet mode is quite good. Windows could take some lessons in UI design here. Interestingly though, location services are only easily accessed inside the sandboxed instance of Play Store/Android Settings. I found that rather odd since Direct TV wouldn't work properly without location access and wouldn't activate unless I cycled that several times*
-Keyboard is quite good. Screen and build quality are also very good. I don't really have a basis for comparison on other high end IPS displays, but hey looks darn good to me.
-Hangouts Video Chat inside Chrome Browser does not work (when clicking on an existing chat video icon with no one in it), but it works if you install the Hangouts application from the play store and call out. Bizarre compartmentalization there.
- After installing LightroomCC and saving an image to local storage for editing, the OS refuses to let me delete either the folder Lightroom created, or the image I saved off Space-x's Flickr account to edit. The right click menu option for delete is greyed out, and the keyboard shortcut won't work either. What the ever loving hell.

Edit:I can't find location settings anymore, all I can access is when a website asks for location in Chrome Browser. Right clicking on a play store application in the utility launcher lets you bring up permissions for that specific app. *I had access to a fully sandboxed Android setting screen, it even showed that it was Android 7.1. I got there via Play Store>Hamburger Menu> Settings. Now when I go Play Store>Hamburger Menu>Settings, I only get generalized licensing information. I want that full menu back. How do I find that?
Edit: When sent a direct hangout url from another client, it will open up in browser no problem. I do not know why when browsing hangouts.google.com when the dialogue window pops up, it won't launch a video chat from a prior hangout when tapping the little film camera icon.
Edit: After rebooting the machine, I could delete the original image I saved in the Files utility, however the folder Lightroom created refuses to be deleted. Is there a way to force delete items such as this?

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Feb 12, 2018

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
hi here are some questions:
- what's the build quality on the pixelbook i mean i assume it is good but what's up gimme the deets
- could i get a pixelbook refurb for ~800 maybe
- i can see that wine support is growing and thats cool, is it good at all yet
- whats the deal with crouton and is there any specific reason i would want a more typical dual boot setup if i decide i want to primarily use linux
- is there anything that occupies the area between a chromebook pro/c302 and a pixelbook

AverySpecialfriend fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Feb 12, 2018

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

AverySpecialfriend posted:

- what's the build quality on the pixelbook

I've never used a better put together piece of hardware.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

lelandjs posted:

So I picked up an Acer R11 today. It's definitely the most plastic computer I've ever used... but holy crap I can't believe how well Android apps work on it. I literally cannot.

I've tried so, so many devices to do the tablet + laptop thing and this one might be the best yet. Windows 10 tries, it really does, but the apps aren't there. The iPad Pro, even with the Smart Keyboard cover, doesn't quite get it right.

I'm gonna recommend this thing to everyone I know. I only wish it was slightly more premium feeling.

[Edit: is there any way to skip tracks playing through an Android app with a keyboard shortcut? I can always pull up the notification so it's not a big deal if there's not.]

Now you can see why the R11 is one of my recommendations! Also, don't tell silence_kit how well Android apps work, he'll have an aneurysm.... :jerkbag:

For a more "premium" version of the R11, that would basically suggest a metal-bodied device, no? If that'd do it for you I'd suggest either the Asus Flip C101 (ignore the C100) for a 10" device or the Acer R13 for a 13" one. You could also go for the Samsung Pro/Plus or the Asus Flip C302, but those are generally going to run $400-500 depending on specs, sales, and new/refurb status whereas the first two I mentioned are around $300.

As far as the music skipping in an Android app, no, you can't just use the keyboard for that unless the app were configured to do so. Remember, Android apps are primarily designed to be used with a touch interface, and they don't necessarily know when they're being run on ChromeOS instead. You can't just start an app on your AndroidOS phone, for example, and force open the on-screen keyboard and expect it to do something; the commands have to be explicitly mapped to keys.

MC Hawking posted:

- Handling multiple google account logins is a little whacky. The first account logged in is assigned as "device owner/admin", and any subsequent account you add on the login screen does not have access to the Play Store. I cannot figure out how to change this. Not a big deal though because of point 2:
-After a bit I figured out how to sign secondary accounts in Chrome Browser, which means I can be logged in my main administrator account, yet still swap over to my school linked account for Drive and Docs access. Not immediately evident that this is an option, but for grandma who isn't juggling 5+ accounts it won't be a problem.
-This thing is stupid quick at application switching, screen rotation, and booting up. I really liked that it immediately grabbed several OS updates not ten minutes after I booted up and logged in, and installed them in almost no time flat.
- Bluetooth doesn't want to pipe sound to my speaker for some reason. It'll connect no problem, it just doesn't want to output. I don't know why this is and I'm going to get ahold of some other bluetooth enabled devices to see if this is why this device was sent back to Warehouse. Glad to see that Google is consistent in being bad at wireless.
-Swapping between laptop and tablet mode is quite good. Windows could take some lessons in UI design here. Interestingly though, location services are only easily accessed inside the sandboxed instance of Play Store/Android Settings. I found that rather odd since Direct TV wouldn't work properly without location access and wouldn't activate unless I cycled that several times*
-Keyboard is quite good. Screen and build quality are also very good. I don't really have a basis for comparison on other high end IPS displays, but hey looks darn good to me.
-Hangouts Video Chat inside Chrome Browser does not work (when clicking on an existing chat video icon with no one in it), but it works if you install the Hangouts application from the play store and call out. Bizarre compartmentalization there.
- After installing LightroomCC and saving an image to local storage for editing, the OS refuses to let me delete either the folder Lightroom created, or the image I saved off Space-x's Flickr account to edit. The right click menu option for delete is greyed out, and the keyboard shortcut won't work either. What the ever loving hell.

Edit:I can't find location settings anymore, all I can access is when a website asks for location in Chrome Browser. Right clicking on a play store application in the utility launcher lets you bring up permissions for that specific app. *I had access to a fully sandboxed Android setting screen, it even showed that it was Android 7.1. I got there via Play Store>Hamburger Menu> Settings. Now when I go Play Store>Hamburger Menu>Settings, I only get generalized licensing information. I want that full menu back. How do I find that?
Edit: When sent a direct hangout url from another client, it will open up in browser no problem. I do not know why when browsing hangouts.google.com when the dialogue window pops up, it won't launch a video chat from a prior hangout when tapping the little film camera icon.
Edit: After rebooting the machine, I could delete the original image I saved in the Files utility, however the folder Lightroom created refuses to be deleted. Is there a way to force delete items such as this?

I've heard that about multiple accounts and Play Store access before; I'm still not sure if it's a limitation or an intentional design choice to lock down the device to secondary users for security reasons. :shrug:

Could you share how you switched accounts within the browser? I know how to do it in the Windows version of Chrome but don't see the option in ChromeOS's browser interface. I don't have multiple accounts that I need to switch between but it'd be a good idea to know how to do so!

As I mentioned, the dual-partition system is really nice because those OS updates take place in the background, so as soon as they're done you basically just reboot and are instantly up-to-date. To be fair, there are occasional major updates that require a few minutes of work after a reboot but for the most part the ChromeOS update process is quick & painless. One thing I'll add is that because of a TPM vulnerability, everyone should Powerwash their ChromeOS devices once, which will prompt you to upgrade the TPM firmware and then you're done with that. I'll have to add this to the OP now that I've remembered it.

Over the years, I've found Bluetooth to be a little wonky in general, across many devices. I've heard a story or two similar to yours describing difficulty streaming via A2DP, however I just tested this device a moment ago (HP 13) and I was easily able to connect to a BT speaker thing I use in the bathroom and it worked exactly as expected. :shrug: I'd definitely suggest trying to connect the CB to a different BT speaker.

I can't offer any advice on Hangouts because I've literally never used it. :shobon:

I think the issue with Lightroom is permissions-related; if you uninstall the app then it will probably delete its folder, but otherwise it's most likely Linux-permissions wonkiness.

Open the main Settings menu and type "location," which should lead you to some of the options you're looking for. Regarding Play Store settings, I've found that [mainly on AndroidOS actually] after I've let some updates run their course the Store is kind of "crippled," for lack of a better word, and making sure it closes (as opposed to just task switching back & forth) will restore it to normal.

hi here are some questions:
- what's the build quality on the pixelbook i mean i assume it is good but what's up gimme the deets
- could i get a pixelbook refurb for ~800 maybe
- i can see that wine support is growing and thats cool, is it good at all yet
- whats the deal with crouton and is there any specific reason i would want a more typical dual boot setup if i decide i want to primarily use linux
- is there anything that occupies the area between a chromebook pro/c302 and a pixelbook

I don't have the Pixelbook yet, but I'm probably going to break down and buy the i7 because I'm terrible. It has universally acclaimed build-quality though; just keep in mind that that probably means it's glued together and may be difficult to repair, but I don't see an iFixit repair score or anything like that (nor have I heard anybody having to actually fix anything on it.) I can tell you that the first two CB Pixels are excellent all-around.

The base model i5 PB is $1k but they've twice had $100-off sales; first it was that amount off on any model, and then in January it was a free stylus, which is normally $100 and is one of the semi-unique draws of the PB and you might've ended up buying it anyway. I highly suspect more sales in the near future if you're willing to be a little patient. You can also check Amazon periodically for Warehouse Deals on returns/lightly-used devices, and I think $800 is totally doable one way or the other if you keep an eye out.

I haven't tried Wine (I have actual Windows systems where necessary) but you could give it a shot either in [Ubuntu] or via the Wine for Android beta.

Crouton is a set of scripts that installs Ubuntu/Debian on ChromeOS, then you can run [Ubuntu] simultaneously and switch back and forth like you were switching terminals. I've previously described how I uninstalled Ubuntu because I didn't need it, but the only issue I experienced (and this was a while ago) was occasional graphical glitches after switching back & forth multiple times (and this may not be an issue anymore.) With that being said I'd lean towards suggesting dual-booting if you were going to primarily use Ubuntu (and to clarify, ChromeOS is a Linux distro itself) however as I recently stated I never bothered with dual-boot myself, and of course I'd suggest to simply try Crouton first because it may work just fine for your purposes.

The Asus Flip C302 and the Samsung Pro are the bridge up to the Pixelbook; the base models of the first two are in the ~$500 range, and then there are upgraded variants upcoming to put them closer in performance & capabilities to the PB. They can be hard to find now, but you can buy the upgraded m5 C302 on Amazon, and the C302 itself was originally launched with like 8 different variants, but not all in the same markets (there was a m7/16 GB RAM/128 GB storage version I think only in the UK for like US$1k-equivalent, bizarrely.)

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Atomizer posted:

Now you can see why the R11 is one of my recommendations! Also, don't tell silence_kit how well Android apps work, he'll have an aneurysm.... :jerkbag:
The only apps I’ve tried that haven’t worked perfectly are the aforementioned Prime Video (but the website works great, so the only loss there is offline viewing) and Dropmix (which I didn’t expect to work anyway due to reliance on the proprietary Bluetooth-connected game board). Heck I even sideloaded the Apple Music .apk (because Apple apparently blacklisted Android tablets) and it works great.

Atomizer posted:

For a more "premium" version of the R11, that would basically suggest a metal-bodied device, no? If that'd do it for you I'd suggest either the Asus Flip C101 (ignore the C100) for a 10" device or the Acer R13 for a 13" one. You could also go for the Samsung Pro/Plus or the Asus Flip C302, but those are generally going to run $400-500 depending on specs, sales, and new/refurb status whereas the first two I mentioned are around $300.

I think the R11 will be fine for me for now. In a couple years I’ll probably gift it to my daughter and pick up a newer, metal-clad Chromebook for myself though.

Atomizer posted:

As far as the music skipping in an Android app, no, you can't just use the keyboard for that unless the app were configured to do so. Remember, Android apps are primarily designed to be used with a touch interface, and they don't necessarily know when they're being run on ChromeOS instead. You can't just start an app on your AndroidOS phone, for example, and force open the on-screen keyboard and expect it to do something; the commands have to be explicitly mapped to keys.
I had a feeling this was the case. If I recall correctly there were some Android apps that enabled track skipping with phone hardware buttons (specifically long pressing the volume keys). I doubt they’d work with the ChromeOS, but I’ll do some testing and report back.

For what it’s worth, my Airpods’ “tap twice to skip track” works, so that might be good enough for me. I didn’t usually listen to music without headphones anyway.

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
What are the prospects for installing win or maybe even macos on a pixelbook? I want to do music recording on it which I'm sure is doable in your average linux distro though idk how well

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

What are the prospects for installing win or maybe even macos on a pixelbook? I want to do music recording on it which I'm sure is doable in your average linux distro though idk how well

From what I can tell from some cursory googling, the effort involved is probably not worth the extra couple hundred you'd spend on a laptop that comes with Windows or OS X from the manufacturer.

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
But I'm poor :( and anything past $800 comes out of pocket (my apartment got broken into and my x250 got swiped - ty renters insurance) so I'd like something $800 or less

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

But I'm poor :( and anything past $800 comes out of pocket (my apartment got broken into and my x250 got swiped - ty renters insurance) so I'd like something $800 or less

There are plenty of good new or used laptops that will do what you want and more in the $600-$800 range. Check eBay for used MacBook Pros, as someone that has a mid-2014 MBP I can confirm that, even though it's a few years old, it still runs DAW software like a champ.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Feb 12, 2018

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
Yea I'm considering a macbook for the first time but it's scary I'm a literal windows baby and have been using windows since I was a toddler (with a brief 2yr stint on a chromebook) but I will consult other threads ty

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

What's the situation for "productivity" apps under ChromeOS? I've got Cold Turkey Pro for a Windows and I like that feature set. Specifically the hard lockout at certain times and the break allowances. I've tried to get something similar working on my Android phone and haven't quite got there.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Not at all productivity apps but oh my goodness Dosbox Turbo works perfectly on my R11. DOOM!

But, more importantly, installing Steam via a Ubuntu Crouton meant that I could see if Portal works.

It does. There are some framerate hitches, but it actually goddamn runs.

[Edit: IT CAN PLAY PORTAL 2. Why has Steam not partnered with Google with a special Chromebook version of Steam? One that checks to see if the hardware can reasonably run games so you don't get fools trying to install, I dunno, Bioshock Infinite...

Actually I gotta find an SD card so I can see if Bioshock Infinite can run.]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Feb 13, 2018

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

I tried the settings menu and searching for location, all it does is bring up denying websites access to location. Far from location control I found in the Android sandbox which is was exactly like the settings menu in Nougat, right down to a full app list and an interface just like I have on my phone. It's really annoying not having that kind of control over a Chromebook when implementation could be done quite easily. I did some digging and couldn't find anyone else being able to replicate what I managed to do totally by accident. It may have been patched out at some point during updates. :(

Switching accounts in Chrome Browser is exactly like it appears on a Desktop version of Chrome. The only thing I noticed is the built in Drive application defaults to the logged in owner account and has no account switcher, but the web-based Drive interface allows account switching. A little ungainly to work around, but not the end of the world.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

lelandjs posted:

Not at all productivity apps but oh my goodness Dosbox Turbo works perfectly on my R11. DOOM!

But, more importantly, installing Steam via a Ubuntu Crouton meant that I could see if Portal works.

It does. There are some framerate hitches, but it actually goddamn runs.

[Edit: IT CAN PLAY PORTAL 2. Why has Steam not partnered with Google with a special Chromebook version of Steam? One that checks to see if the hardware can reasonably run games so you don't get fools trying to install, I dunno, Bioshock Infinite...

Actually I gotta find an SD card so I can see if Bioshock Infinite can run.]

i wonder if heroes of might and magic 3 would run on one..

E: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ubisoft.mightandmagic.heroesiii&hl=en

:stare:

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
:siren:I FOUND A WORKAROUND TO ACCESS THE ANDROID STYLE SETTINGS MENU WITH MORE SYSTEM OPTIONS/INFORMATION:siren:

Go to Play Store> Installed Apps> Contacts. Open up Contacts then tap the hamburger menu. Scroll down to tap "Settings." In the new window, tap "Accounts". This opens up the Android 7.1 sandbox. Just tap the hamburger menu again to open up the Android style "settings home" menu overlay. Those observant of you will note there's now a AndroidOS style Settings Gear icon on the launch bar. This gear icon can be pinned for future use. You now have access to the full range of system setting just like an Android phone, but displaying everything on your Chromebook including the ability to 100% disable location data, individual application permissions, and getting access to the developer menu.

I hope this is helpful to those of you who can't resist the urge to poke around in the guts of everything you own.

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Feb 14, 2018

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

MC Hawking posted:

:siren:I FOUND A WORKAROUND TO ACCESS THE ANDROID STYLE SETTINGS MENU WITH MORE SYSTEM OPTIONS/INFORMATION:siren:

Go to Play Store> Installed Apps> Contacts. Open up Contacts then tap the hamburger menu. Scroll down to tap "Settings." In the new window, tap "Accounts". This opens up the Android 7.1 sandbox. Just tap the hamburger menu again to open up the Android style "settings home" menu overlay. Those observant of you will note there's now a AndroidOS style Settings Gear icon on the launch bar. This gear icon can be pinned for future use. You now have access to the full range of system setting just like an Android phone, but displaying everything on your Chromebook including the ability to 100% disable location data, individual application permissions, and getting access to the developer menu.

I hope this is helpful to those of you who can't resist the urge to poke around in the guts of everything you own.

It's actually a lot easier to access than that. Open up the ChromeOS settings, scroll down to the "Google Play Store" section, tap the box under it, then tap "Manage Android preferences".

Unless I'm only seeing that because I have Developer Mode enabled. I will never not need to sideload .apks on any device I could conceivably sideload .apks onto, I even hacked my Nook eReader back in the day because I wanted to be able to install a .cbr reader... and the Awful app.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Feb 14, 2018

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
I am the walking epitome of a facepalm right now.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

MC Hawking posted:

I am the walking epitome of a facepalm right now.

Eh, the fact that you can get to Android settings with the method I outlined isn’t obvious. The only reason I knew about it was because I had to enable .apk sideloading on my Chromebook to install Apple Music.

So I’m now three days into Chromebook ownership and I’m still being impressed by it. There’s one website in particular that I use to read comic books that is incredibly resource heavy on every device I’ve used it on (including my MBP and iPad) but the Chromebook doesn’t even break a sweat. It never has, even when I spent a half hour playing Portal 2 it only got moderately warm in my lap.

So far the only real “issue” I’ve encountered is that it doesn’t work great with my AirPods—the volume will randomly decide to halve itself while listening to music, and a reboot only fixes it sometimes. Also, when I play a video, the audio is slightly out of sync not only with the video but also between the two earbuds, which was a very strange experience when I first tried it.

That said, I didn’t really expect the AirPods to play nice with a Chromebook anyway so it’s not a huge issue.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
I actually started encountering some heavy pops & clicks out of the left hand speaker earlier this evening. Pretty sure that's why this was a warehouse return on Amazon. Everything else other than Bluetooth has been stellar. I would still recommend this device to anyone interested in Chromebooks, but I may begin the RMA process within the next few days :(

Edit: Processing RMA. Will replace with another one just like it :) Lets hope this Warehouse return isn't because of the exact same issue. ;)
If this one has a wonky speaker I'll send it back and give a Samsung Pro a spin.

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Feb 16, 2018

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

So apparently 1Password can run on Chrome OS now - I might have to dive my Dell CB13 another try as a solo computing device.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
Have any Pixelbook owners been experiencing glitchy horizontal bars flashing across the screen, and/or the display randomly turning off with no input, then refusing to wake up for seconds to sometimes minutes?

I RMA'ed my first device (bought NIB) through Google, and the second one does the same things. The Google support process amounts to reset -> powerwash -> recover -> RMA, so to get two devices with what seem like hardware issues has been frustrating.

I bought it back in December so I doubt I could get Amazon to take it back. Maybe I could just sell the next NIB one they send me. Just wondering if anyone else has heard of this issue because I can't seem to find anything online about it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Mine's been rock solid, haven't seen anything like that.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
I actually really like it and want it to work. Having two bum units seems weird since they seem so well built.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Looking to pick up a Chromebook Plus for my partner, they really like the Acer R11, the Rockchip processor is the only thing I'm a little nervous about and would be willing to contribute to a refurb Pro even though it's slightly out of budget.

Is the Chromebook Plus fine for daily use as a primary computer?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm not convinced Samsung has ever resolved the touchscreen issues on them.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

If you're interested in running android apps, ARM chips perform better.

If you're interested running other Linux distributions, Intel chips have much wider compatibility.

This is especially true for the Samsung Plus/Pro.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

There's rumors that Linux containers in ChromeOS are going to be announced at I/O. If that's the case, then Intel may be the better bet if you want that functionality.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Ahh yeah no Linux functionality required, the base functions of Chrome OS are totally fine for their use case.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

bull3964 posted:

There's rumors that Linux containers in ChromeOS are going to be announced at I/O. If that's the case, then Intel may be the better bet if you want that functionality.

Yeah I just read about this.........

This will be a very cool addition to ChromeOS, particularly if you can do so without going into developer mode.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

the milk machine posted:

Have any Pixelbook owners been experiencing glitchy horizontal bars flashing across the screen, and/or the display randomly turning off with no input, then refusing to wake up for seconds to sometimes minutes?

I RMA'ed my first device (bought NIB) through Google, and the second one does the same things. The Google support process amounts to reset -> powerwash -> recover -> RMA, so to get two devices with what seem like hardware issues has been frustrating.

I bought it back in December so I doubt I could get Amazon to take it back. Maybe I could just sell the next NIB one they send me. Just wondering if anyone else has heard of this issue because I can't seem to find anything online about it.

This is the first I've heard of that issue, on the PB or any other device. You could try a hardware reset, which is distinct from a Powerwash. Also, the next thought is that if you're having such an issue, on two separate devices, it could be related to your own software configuration, i.e., installed extensions. You could attempt to diagnose this by signing in with a fresh, test account (or possibly using Guest mode) to see if the device behaves the same way.

NewFatMike posted:

Looking to pick up a Chromebook Plus for my partner, they really like the Acer R11, the Rockchip processor is the only thing I'm a little nervous about and would be willing to contribute to a refurb Pro even though it's slightly out of budget.

Is the Chromebook Plus fine for daily use as a primary computer?

The CB Plus should be absolutely fine; you'd never even notice the CPU and the one it has is a pretty satisfactory hexa-core. What blunt & bull mentioned is absolutely true, but doesn't apply to everyone's use-case. Also, bull mentioned touchscreen issues, however while that wasn't an issue in my limited experience with the device the keyboard is more substantial; it's got a deep travel and/or short deck, so if you don't hit the keys dead-center then you end up hitting the deck with your fingers. Again, YMMV but it might be prudent to test one out at a retail store to see if this bothers your partner at all.

Also, if you keep an eye on woot.com they often get in a handful of refurbished Samsung Plus & Pros at substantial discounts (i.e. the former for $350, the latter $400, although I believe they were even cheaper more recently but sold out before I got a chance to post here.)

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So I have discovered an (rather minor) issue with my R11: it consumes more battery in sleep mode than any other laptop I've used. At first I thought it was because I had the "Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep" enabled, but even after disabling it, the laptop drains about 25% of its battery when left in sleep mode for 10-12 hours.

After some googling, it appears this issue is something that plagues all of Acer's Chromebooks. There doesn't seem to be a solution, per se, but then I remembered that Chrome OS takes all of maaaaybe 15 seconds to boot up from shutdown. So now I just shut down my Chromebook if I'm gonna be leaving it unplugged for more than a few hours.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Atomizer posted:

This is the first I've heard of that issue, on the PB or any other device. You could try a hardware reset, which is distinct from a Powerwash. Also, the next thought is that if you're having such an issue, on two separate devices, it could be related to your own software configuration, i.e., installed extensions. You could attempt to diagnose this by signing in with a fresh, test account (or possibly using Guest mode) to see if the device behaves the same way.

Yeah, google has had me do all that, to no avail. I'm stumped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Atomizer posted:

The CB Plus should be absolutely fine; you'd never even notice the CPU and the one it has is a pretty satisfactory hexa-core. What blunt & bull mentioned is absolutely true, but doesn't apply to everyone's use-case. Also, bull mentioned touchscreen issues, however while that wasn't an issue in my limited experience with the device the keyboard is more substantial; it's got a deep travel and/or short deck, so if you don't hit the keys dead-center then you end up hitting the deck with your fingers. Again, YMMV but it might be prudent to test one out at a retail store to see if this bothers your partner at all.

Also, if you keep an eye on woot.com they often get in a handful of refurbished Samsung Plus & Pros at substantial discounts (i.e. the former for $350, the latter $400, although I believe they were even cheaper more recently but sold out before I got a chance to post here.)

Thanks! Yeah, Woot hasn't had any when I checked the last week or so, but refurbs come up in a bunch of places.

We'll definitely be on the lookout for touchscreen and keyboard issues. I haven't seen those in reviews, so that's interesting.