Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

https://i.imgur.com/sbBoGku.webm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

What are good operators to pick up for ranked? I have Smoke and Mute on defense, Ash and Sledge on attack.

I try to play mute or ash every time if possible.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

try Hibana instead of ash

try Bandit instead of mute

attack:
  • Thatcher
  • Twitch
  • Dokkaebi
defend:
  • Lesion
  • Mira
  • Valkyrie

on top of it all these ops have about as much replay value as utility that they bring to the team

edit: also if you like ash/sledge then Zofia is basically a sort of hybrid of the two as she has a launcher that basically makes an insta-sledge hole wherever it hits

and if you go with hibana - idk why but i swear to got her main rifle (Type 89?) actually somehow loving works better with a silencer than any other attachment

Thief fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Feb 14, 2018

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Oh yeah, whilst I was on the 'what the gently caress are you smoking?' bandwagon, we already have several Defenders who make Shields incredibly sad (Smoke & Lesion, for starters, as well as ELA who makes everyone sad), whilst still being good Operators in their own right, so that makes the desire for a shield wrecking Operator extra wacky.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Shockeh posted:

Oh yeah, whilst I was on the 'what the gently caress are you smoking?' bandwagon, we already have several Defenders who make Shields incredibly sad (Smoke & Lesion, for starters, as well as ELA who makes everyone sad), whilst still being good Operators in their own right, so that makes the desire for a shield wrecking Operator extra wacky.

tbh its annoying that some of the shield ops can get into a corner and unless you have the counter you just have to literally watch them forever.

Thief posted:

and if you go with hibana - idk why but i swear to got her main rifle (Type 89?) actually somehow loving works better with a silencer than any other attachment

Don't suppressors lower damage? seems bad

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

Thief posted:

embrace toxicity ftw :350:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCLzfQJYmO0

yeah smoke owns and a good operator to get into because he fairly underplayed outside of high ranked games.

in addition to screening, one thing that i see a lot of smoke players don't take advantage of enough is the fact that smoke is the only person that can run through dank memes with no damage

sometimes the situation will even allow you to use this to tricking the enemy into thinking you are trapped in a corner when you are already rotating or ready to unexpectedly flank their push from a different angle

he pairs well with many operators, including lesion who with enough barbed wire can act as an early warning ping to blanket an area in aoe damage while they try to pull the thing out of their foot while simultaneously burning the clock

As a note, unless it's changed recently, Glaz can see through Smoke's warcrime cans. 3 Speeds can skirt the edges without damage sometimes too, it takes a moment. Or that poo poo lingered weird clientside.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Don't suppressors lower damage? seems bad

insignificant DPS loss compared to how much better the weapon handles. if you're that worried about dps you can just use a flash hider but from my experiences the suppressor+acog on this particular rifle makes cheesing headshots much easier than any other options it has

fwiw she's my #3 most played attacker w/over 20 nerdy hours experimenting so i'm not just quoting some esports chart i found on reddit

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Thief posted:

insignificant DPS loss compared to how much better the weapon handles. if you're that worried about dps you can just use a flash hider but from my experiences the suppressor+acog on this particular rifle makes cheesing headshots much easier than any other options it has

fwiw she's my #3 most played attacker w/over 20 nerdy hours experimenting so i'm not just quoting some esports chart i found on reddit

I thought all a silencer did was lower the damage and sound, I didn't know it increased handling. BTW what's the difference between flash hider and compensator? Ingame it says the comp is much better but everyone is using flash hider from what I can tell.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

BTW what's the difference between flash hider and compensator? Ingame it says the comp is much better but everyone is using flash hider from what I can tell.

Flash Hider heavily reduces recoil for the first 3 shots. Compensator reduces recoil a little bit for all shots.
Flash Hider is better for getting headshots. Compensator is better for magdumping.
You should be aiming for headshots. You shouldn't be magdumping.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I thought all a silencer did was lower the damage and sound, I didn't know it increased handling. BTW what's the difference between flash hider and compensator? Ingame it says the comp is much better but everyone is using flash hider from what I can tell.

It doesn't, but removes tracers and masks sounds allowing you to compensate for a fuckup.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

and if you're coming from ash main practically everything is going to feel like a slight dps nerf anyway, except maybe twitch's famas and fuze's ak

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

This weeks challenge made me play a bunch of Echo and I discovered that he's actually a roamer.
You just sit your rear end under some desk or in a random toilet during prep, do your normal Yokai work around the objective as usual, but when the poo poo hits the fan you're in a perfect position to get in on them from behind with that silenced SMG.
It really made me consider that Echo sitting in some corner inside the objective is a mistake.

On a different note, how the gently caress do you play Ying on a normal team that aren't a hivemind capable of perfectly timing everything?
I couldn't even find any decent way to use Candela to bang'n'breach from the windows properly, it doesn't seem to last that long.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Feb 14, 2018

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Jack Trades posted:

how the gently caress do you play Ying

You don't. You just don't.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

keyframe posted:

You don't. You just don't.

Ying seem to be picked a lot in the Invitational.
Every time I try to play her I find the gun to be really crap...

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

ying is cool and i think she is a lot of fun. watch them through x-ray hud. use the candela on walls and floors like you would fuze. in terms of timing, think of it like dokkaebi when you know someone is at a bottleneck and ready to push

on maps with a lot of roaming room or hallways i sometimes take her shotgun. the chinese pistol is on par with the russian one (slightly bigger mag but slightly less dmg iirc?) so its not like a couple ranged engagements are that big of a problem. this is probably a bad idea once you are climbing out of gold rank but it's fun. the cool thing about shotgun ying is that it sucks for breaching but really kills the poo poo out of people from even medium range thanks to its minimal spread. it pairs with her ability very well when you have to deal with an idiot camping a corner.

Jack Trades posted:

This weeks challenge made me play a bunch of Echo and I discovered that he's actually a roamer.
You just sit your rear end under some desk or in a random toilet during prep, do your normal Yokai work around the objective as usual, but when the poo poo hits the fan you're in a perfect position to get in on them from behind with that silenced SMG.
It really made me consider that Echo sitting in some corner inside the objective is a mistake.

echo is a great roamer in ranked because the enemy team tends to spawn in several locations so you can gank them one by one much easier than in casual

but tbh this kind of applies to any operator and i think they can all roam effectively.

the only immediate exception i can think of is mute in that his jammers are almost always best used on or near site to delay breaches/drones. but even then, if you know someone on the other team likes to play a character like jackal a lot you can go to a common rotation area and just put jammers in the most loving annoying spots and grief him when he comes to find you thinking you'll be an easy kill. also nitro is automatically roamer's delight.

edit: like rook, idc how good mute is because his ability is pretty boring :ssh:

but at least he has a unique gun with some cute skin options

Thief fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Feb 14, 2018

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

Jack Trades posted:

On a different note, how the gently caress do you play Ying on a normal team that aren't a hivemind capable of perfectly timing everything?
I couldn't even find any decent way to use Candela to bang'n'breach from the windows properly, it doesn't seem to last that long.

I've been playing Echo as a roamer for a while now, no one expects his fat rear end to walk up behind them while they're droned, it's hilarious. Really wish he was a 2/2 though. As for Mute, I've been leaning towards planting his jammers at key walls and anything else gets thrown in areas to make it harder to find roamers instead.

Nebiros fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Feb 14, 2018

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Shockeh posted:

I think people get way too reactionary when people are just discussing something like this. I just viewed it as a funny thought exercise 'if you were going to make a shield counter' not HOLY gently caress SHIELDS gently caress THEM LETS MAKE AN ANTI SHIELD TRAP #SHIELDSOPFUCKYOU. Either way, Ubisoft clearly does not take their ideas or inspiration from the SA forums so this is all hot air.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

unlawfulsoup posted:

Either way, Ubisoft clearly does not take their ideas or inspiration from the SA forums so this is all hot air.

I'll have you know, my uncle works at Ubisoft.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

unlawfulsoup posted:

I think people get way too reactionary when people are just discussing something like this. I just viewed it as a funny thought exercise 'if you were going to make a shield counter' not HOLY gently caress SHIELDS gently caress THEM LETS MAKE AN ANTI SHIELD TRAP #SHIELDSOPFUCKYOU. Either way, Ubisoft clearly does not take their ideas or inspiration from the SA forums so this is all hot air.

It wasn’t just you though, there was a series of ‘counter shield’ theory drafts, it was rather odd.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Nebiros posted:

It doesn't, but removes tracers and masks sounds allowing you to compensate for a fuckup.

Also, people get hung up on the fact that it lowers damage, but all it does is make the gun take one extra bullet to kill. In a game where all the guns fire ten rounds a second, it's fairly insignificant. Blackbeards SR25 is a double-tap kill from across the map, and when you aren't putting out tracers or much sound and you've got your shield up, you've got a LOT of time to sit and wait. I was upside-down peeking on Tower last night and got 3 kills in 45 seconds just waiting like a spider until they popped up in one of their impact holes or the doorway.

It actually got me hatemail; apparently BB is a bitch-tier operator for big pussies and takes no skill unlike Ela.

The toughest thing to adjust to is the fact that the recoil changes up, but if you force yourself to play with suppressors for a few days you can see why they're very useful.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

unlawfulsoup posted:

Either way, Ubisoft clearly does not take their ideas or inspiration from the SA forums so this is all hot air.

lol when the Clancyverse adds a consumable energy shield like in elysium

meanwhile:

https://i.imgur.com/xx3S7GT.webm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOjqwHGMekY

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Shockeh posted:

It wasn’t just you though, there was a series of ‘counter shield’ theory drafts, it was rather odd.

Sometimes its just fun to brainstorm i think you may be fixating.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Thief posted:

I am kind of surprised we don't have goofy exo op, just punch through walls.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

ZeusCannon posted:

Sometimes its just fun to brainstorm i think you may be fixating.

Indeed, theory-crafting is fun.

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?

Thief posted:

The Ghost Recon F2P game they had for a few years had poo poo like this.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

You guys are my spirit animals.

I'm getting better thanks to y'all

Soon, I'll be fuzeing the hostage 100% of the time. :)

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

Oh my God what the fuck am I?
So one thing I am slowly getting better at is recognizing operator silhouettes. I’m still pretty weak at it though. Is there a resource anywhere where I can see the operators as they appear in game? I know it will come with time through normal play but I’d like to get better at actually calling out who I’m seeing to my team. Some of the ops still look very similar to me at distance and I see better players in videos calling out instantly when they see a few pixels of a head.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

because of the sheer amount of comedy option skins available in this game your best bet is to just use silhouettes as a guide.

a big part of it is their location, behavior and sounds they make from footsteps to guns and abilities. unique gear like weapons or helmets help

if you want to study the models just look at them in game while you're between matches. you can even examine individual skins in the store using a built in model viewer

e: that said ubisoft does do unique things like straps and reflective pieces that are unique to a class. even there will often be skin variants that totally negate this.

for example, doc usually has a white shoulder plate. this is a dead giveaway but there is also a black skin that essentially deletes this identifier

Thief fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Feb 14, 2018

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
No joke i blame a death I had last night on sledges elite skin. Im not great at parsing it yet so when i looked around a corner my reaction was juuuust slow enough for him to wreck me. Luckily i had a buddy running vigil who carried us but im still a bit ashamed about it.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

I like spending real life money for rainbow but, so I can buy elite skins

Ektor
Oct 16, 2007

unlawfulsoup posted:

there are no R6 devs here, you can talk quietly

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Silencers are bad on paper but cool and good in practice, except on certain guns that just really really need the flash hider/comp to be controllable I guess

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Thief posted:

because of the sheer amount of comedy option skins available in this game your best bet is to just use silhouettes as a guide.

i still can't tell Vigil apart from a recruit.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I've been falling in love with Sledge recently. I love going room to room and just clearing it with my shotgun. Smashing holes in the walls and killing anyone inside is so satisfying, especially if I drone them out beforehand and can just smash and instantly put them down like the dogs they are.

It makes pushing objective much nicer for the team as we know for a fact that the floors above / below are cleared and safe of roamers.

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Ying I can't seeee!!!

https://streamable.com/5d3gz

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
so when did ying go from everyone deciding she was awful to being picked in almost literally every single game of the six invitational

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I love Ying's gadget, it's one of my favourites, but god drat I can't play her. People can still just look away and not get flashed, especially if they're tucked in a corner. So I'll trust in my gadget, only to enter a room full of people who can still see just fine. I've since stopped playing her.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I played for about two hours with a few friends. Every single round the rando on the team picked Ying and team flashed me. Ying can go to hell!

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
Did the secondary, less damaging pistols get a buff recently? The never-used GSh-18 does 44 damage (now?) and I don't think it used to do that much.

It seems a lot more viable than I remember it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Q8ee posted:

I love Ying's gadget, it's one of my favourites, but god drat I can't play her. People can still just look away and not get flashed, especially if they're tucked in a corner. So I'll trust in my gadget, only to enter a room full of people who can still see just fine. I've since stopped playing her.

Gotta go faster. Ying is immune to her own flashbangs, so use the time theyre going off to be fighting.