Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

SwissCM posted:

It's still around and being used, I have karaoke songs in CD+G format from just a few years ago (around when I stopped collecting karaoke songs).

I played this so much on my Sega CD (it was packed in with it)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmYPQq7JcEg

I made the chili from the recipe found here. It was pretty good.

Actually, it wasn't the whole album, just 2 songs from INFOSEC. Here was the real pack in disk: https://www.amazon.com/Rock-Paintings-CD-Hot-Hits-Adventurous/dp/B0007YI4F2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Lowen SoDium posted:

I played this so much on my Sega CD (it was packed in with it)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmYPQq7JcEg

I made the chili from the recipe found here. It was pretty good.

Actually, it wasn't the whole album, just 2 songs from INFOSEC. Here was the real pack in disk: https://www.amazon.com/Rock-Paintings-CD-Hot-Hits-Adventurous/dp/B0007YI4F2

Gee. Thanks for making me feel old. I not only remember seeing them once in concert but also remember the short-lived "Pure Energy" cocktail. It was vodka and that exciting new drink Red Bull.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Humerus posted:

It's genuinely not a joke, the fewer physical buttons on a phone, the better. I can't believe we're 10 years into the iPhone and just now they're getting rid of their physical home button. I've never owned a smartphone with a physical home button, my first had capacitive buttons but since then it's all software. Makes way more sense.

I like mechanical controls.

I can control every function of my car without my eyes leaving the road because it's all mechanical switches, buttons, and knobs. They never break and they provide haptic feedback because they are real things.

My wife's car has a touchscreen that I have to look at to change all the normal things that I'd do without thinking. When I drive her car, I have my 9 year old daughter come with me as the chief of the boat.

"Sonja, make our radio station 104.7 and set drivers side steering wheel heat to on."
"Aye Aye Captain."

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

mostlygray posted:

I like mechanical controls.

I can control every function of my car without my eyes leaving the road because it's all mechanical switches, buttons, and knobs. They never break and they provide haptic feedback because they are real things.

My wife's car has a touchscreen that I have to look at to change all the normal things that I'd do without thinking. When I drive her car, I have my 9 year old daughter come with me as the chief of the boat.

"Sonja, make our radio station 104.7 and set drivers side steering wheel heat to on."
"Aye Aye Captain."

d'aww

I think it's a thing people will find quaint in a couple of years - the time people put touchscreens on everything in the 2010s.

Or the joke's on me and I'll have to boot my VR rig to buy a train ticket.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Vic posted:

d'aww

I think it's a thing people will find quaint in a couple of years - the time people put touchscreens on everything in the 2010s.

Or the joke's on me and I'll have to boot my VR rig to buy a train ticket.

Touchscreens are the cheapest, laziest, most profitable thing. They will never die.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

shovelbum posted:

Touchscreens are the cheapest, laziest, most profitable thing. They will never die.

And they wouldn't be an issue if we had self-driving cars worth a drat. As it stands touchscreens are kind of putting the cart before the horse, to use an old idiom.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

shovelbum posted:

Oh I'm aware and I'm not hating on touchscreen, It's the way they are used that's not ideal and in case of humans driving downright stupid dangerous.

My grandma absolutely loves her iPad as it's probably the only thing she can use as she's bedridden basically, and is able to do so much stuff with it just intuitively. It revolutionized how people use their computers but some people got the wrong idea and replaced whole car consoles with it.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Touch screen car consoles suck, but they're making them 'better'. I think VW has a system now where little IR sensors detect your oncoming hand and immediately enlarge the buttons.

My wife's Buick has capacitive hazard lights which is the stupidest thing. So now when someone's hand brushes across the console my loving hazards come on. Come on, it was a simple button that gets pressed a dozen times in a car's lifetime unless you're one of those idiots who turns them on when it rains.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Krispy Wafer posted:

Touch screen car consoles suck, but they're making them 'better'. I think VW has a system now where little IR sensors detect your oncoming hand and immediately enlarge the buttons.

My wife's Buick has capacitive hazard lights which is the stupidest thing. So now when someone's hand brushes across the console my loving hazards come on. Come on, it was a simple button that gets pressed a dozen times in a car's lifetime unless you're one of those idiots who turns them on when it rains.

No, those are "I can park wherever I want" lights and they see a great deal of use.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Krispy Wafer posted:

Jesus Christ :psyduck:

I thought hazard lights were supposed to be physically hardwired by law, in the same way that the steering wheel must be physically connected to the front wheels.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Vic posted:

Alexa, tell me of the screens again.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

evobatman posted:

I thought hazard lights were supposed to be physically hardwired by law, in the same way that the steering wheel must be physically connected to the front wheels.

I'm pretty sure electronic steering has been a thing for a while. Not electric, electronic.

http://www.autocarhire.com/travelblog/featured/infiniti-q50-to-introduce-first-steer-by-wire-technology/

quote:

The drivers will be able to adjust the steering via a touchscreen as part of the Infiniti drive mode selector. This option offers up to four pre-programmed settings but there is also an individual setting which allows the driver to customize the steering weight and response in order to suit their preferences as well as the road type.

This was 2013 so they hadn't figured out how bad touchscreens were yet.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Krispy Wafer posted:

I'm pretty sure electronic steering has been a thing for a while. Not electric, electronic.

http://www.autocarhire.com/travelblog/featured/infiniti-q50-to-introduce-first-steer-by-wire-technology/

Looking at the diagram they posted it appears there is still a mechanical linkage between the steering wheel and rack though.

You really wouldn't want to have a purely electronic steering system - what happens if there's an electrical failure while you're at speed and you completely lose the ability to steer?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Geoj posted:

Looking at the diagram they posted it appears there is still a mechanical linkage between the steering wheel and rack though.

You really wouldn't want to have a purely electronic steering system - what happens if there's an electrical failure while you're at speed and you completely lose the ability to steer?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Vavrek posted:

Wait, what do we have now? All my pants have zippers and buttons are an older technology. What strange 21st century fasteners do your jeans have?

I’ve been a strong advocate for Velcro fly jeans for years. Magnet fly might be cool and elastic waistbands are also superior to zippers.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

blugu64 posted:

I’ve been a strong advocate for Velcro fly jeans for years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F89McWFENTs

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

https://youtu.be/xGcrvGTMgkg

Proteus Jones has a new favorite as of 00:08 on Feb 14, 2018

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Crap. I did not think ZZ Top could do a completely terrible song...

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I thought hazard switches HAD to be physical switches. Are you sure there isn't a backup physical one anywhere?

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!

blugu64 posted:

I’ve been a strong advocate for Velcro fly jeans for years. Magnet fly might be cool and elastic waistbands are also superior to zippers.
By all means, let’s replace a manual zipper that might accidentally grab your junk if you’re sloppy while zipping up with an array of neodymium magnets actively hunting for a fold of tender flesh to crush any time you dare to separate them.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Lazlo Nibble posted:

By all means, let’s replace a manual zipper that might accidentally grab your junk if you’re sloppy while zipping up with an array of neodymium magnets actively hunting for a fold of tender flesh to crush any time you dare to separate them.

Button fly is important because you can reconsider your sinful desires

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Lazlo Nibble posted:

Especially ones that so ignore flesh they can cause necrosis by pinching intestines together when swallowed.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Just cut your dick off. Then it can't get caught in a zipper. #lifehaxx

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

blugu64 posted:

I feel hook and loop technology is incompatible with public hair.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It's really expensive to safely cut off dicks, sadly. :smith:

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

T-man posted:

It's really expensive to safely cut off dicks, sadly. :smith:

Really, they should pay people to do it.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

:q::hf::q:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

spog posted:

I feel hook and loop technology is incompatible with public hair.
You shouldn't make it public in the first place, that's the whole idea.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

My crotch has a touchscreen :whatup:

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Vic posted:

My crotch has a touchscreen :whatup:

thought it was a button

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

evobatman posted:

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I thought hazard switches HAD to be physical switches. Are you sure there isn't a backup physical one anywhere?

Best I can find by Googling is that hazard switches have to be 'seperate' switches. So a big red button, not an option five menus deep. However capacitive seems to be okay.

...and by okay I mean legally, not functionally:

quote:

Ford is adding MyFord Touch as an option to seven more models this year. In doing so, it addressed another common problem that current owners cannot fix with new software: a touch-sensitive area under the touch screen that activates the hazard lights has been replaced with a mechanical button, because Ford learned that drivers were inadvertently turning on the hazard lights as they rested their hand while waiting for the system to respond.

Bonus hazard switch LOL:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujgtbQQXXQI

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Geoj posted:

Some older Citroëns (SM, CX, XM) and some Citroën era Maseratis (Quattroporte II and Khamsin) had hydraulic steering on the higher trim levels, called DIRAVI. It was fully hydraulic, no direct mechanical connection* between the steering wheel and the front wheels. Sort of like on big earthmoving equipment and the like.

Most people found it very odd, because there was absolutely no steering feedback, and the wheels would always return to point straight ahead if you released the steering wheel, even if the car wasn't moving. Steering was completely effortless because of the hydraulics, but as speed increased it also increased the auto-centering force, in effect firming up the steering, not by making the wheel harder to turn (as in modern cars), but by making it more forceful in returning to center.

I don't see why a similar system couldn't be used on a modern car, just electric instead of hydraulic. People are already used to very little steering feel now, due to electrically-assisted steering winning out over hydraulic assist.

* Not quite true, as there was a mechanical fallback, in case hydraulic pressure was lost. It made the steering extremely heavy with a lot of slop, but it was possible to steer the car (sort of).

KozmoNaut has a new favorite as of 15:46 on Feb 14, 2018

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The "you don't want a purely electronic steering system" thing has nothing to do with drivefeel or whatever it is you're talking about. It's entirely about not having the vehicle become entirely uncontrollable (and turning the steering wheel does literally nothing) if there's a fault in the fancy-schmancy steering system. That's almost certainly the reason that the hydraulic steering system you described also had a mechanical fallback!

But yes, you could probably do a primarily-electronic steering system with whatever steering response you deemed appropriate, just as long as it did have that mechanical fallback. What that buys over regular old power steering I'm not sure.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Jabor posted:

The "you don't want a purely electronic steering system" thing has nothing to do with drivefeel or whatever it is you're talking about. It's entirely about not having the vehicle become entirely uncontrollable (and turning the steering wheel does literally nothing) if there's a fault in the fancy-schmancy steering system. That's almost certainly the reason that the hydraulic steering system you described also had a mechanical fallback!

You know airplanes that carry hundreds of people haven't been built with a physical linkage between the steering wheel and the control surfaces for decades now, right? And that there's absolutely no mechanical fallback?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Phanatic posted:

You know airplanes that carry hundreds of people haven't been built with a physical linkage between the steering wheel and the control surfaces for decades now, right? And that there's absolutely no mechanical fallback?

Yeah but your average pilot is far more skilled and experienced than your average driver - Vic, for example.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Jabor posted:

But yes, you could probably do a primarily-electronic steering system with whatever steering response you deemed appropriate, just as long as it did have that mechanical fallback. What that buys over regular old power steering I'm not sure.

That was my point, you can definitely have a fallback. A simple spring-loaded coupling held back by an electromagnet could work very well.

Going fully electrical would make it a lot easier to do variable-rate steering, as well as "fake" feedback that doesn't affect the actual steering. The wheel could shake slightly to wake up a drowsy driver, without affecting the direction. There are a number of neat things that could be done with the steering wheel decoupled from the driving wheels.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Phanatic posted:

You can generally trust that an airplane in commercial operation is going to get fairly regular maintenance. Airlines that don't maintain their planes tend to get their operating license revoked.

A private automobile is often run for far longer without any attention beyond a semi-regular oil change (if that).

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Arivia posted:

Yeah but your average pilot is far more skilled and experienced than your average driver - Vic, for example.

True as that might be, I could do better posting than you by just using the hazard lights button.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

KozmoNaut posted:

Some older Citroëns (SM, CX, XM) and some Citroën era Maseratis (Quattroporte II and Khamsin) had hydraulic steering on the higher trim levels, called DIRAVI.
Even the scrub tier CX had hydraulic steering. I learned to drive in a base level CX20, later replaced with a CX24 Pallas. Both had hydraulic steering (and the old style barrel tach and speedo).

KozmoNaut posted:

Most people found it very odd, because there was absolutely no steering feedback, and the wheels would always return to point straight ahead if you released the steering wheel, even if the car wasn't moving. Steering was completely effortless because of the hydraulics, but as speed increased it also increased the auto-centering force, in effect firming up the steering, not by making the wheel harder to turn (as in modern cars), but by making it more forceful in returning to center.
Yeah, you could turn the wheel and it would center without the car moving. I think that in speed it also tightened the radius or something, since just a nudge on the wheel would make it change direction. It was an awesome highway cruiser, comfy as heck. Stable, too, due to the front having a wider track than the rear, and always level due to the suspension.

KozmoNaut posted:

* Not quite true, as there was a mechanical fallback, in case hydraulic pressure was lost. It made the steering extremely heavy with a lot of slop, but it was possible to steer the car (sort of).
Happened more than a few times and yeah, it was heavier than a standard servoless car even. Turning the wheel at a standstill was next to impossible.

The brake pedal was also hydraulically assisted and the lightest tap compared to a regular car would slow it down. Hard braking, though, was wonderfully dynamic when you got used to it.

The CX is the Frenchest car ever. Wonderfully quirky and for anyone having driven one, imagine learning to drive in the thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

JazzmasterCurious posted:

The brake pedal was also hydraulically assisted

Aren't they all?

e: Well, the brakes, not the pedals.