Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
I feel like the Leafs should trade Soshnikov (even thou I like him) and/or Leivo for a competent Dman. They don't seem to want to use either one over Komarov. I mean Sosh can kill penalties too which seems to be the main reason Komarov even exists anymore. At least Babcock seems to like Kapanen, calling him a difference maker. Maybe they can somehow trade Martin to someone!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Damnit Flyers.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
josh leivo is 24 and has yet to prove that he can be a consistent contributor at the nhl level, why do people think he has significant trade value

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004

DuhSal posted:

I feel like the Leafs should trade Soshnikov (even thou I like him) and/or Leivo for a competent Dman. They don't seem to want to use either one over Komarov. I mean Sosh can kill penalties too which seems to be the main reason Komarov even exists anymore. At least Babcock seems to like Kapanen, calling him a difference maker. Maybe they can somehow trade Martin to someone!

Leivo + Soshnikov will not get you a competent defender

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Nobody’s trading a competent defender in this NHL for the Leafs scratches, especially knowing they have a winger jam. The Leafs need an upgrade on D but their avenues for getting one are slim and they’ll have to give more to make it happen.

The rentals out there are pretty brutal, best they can hope for is poaching a guy with term from a team starting the rebuild (like, oh, McDonagh) but with like their 1st and Brown + mid pick/prospects. Anybody that thinks they’re moving Nylander/Marner is dreaming though.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

Pillbug
I guess I overvalue players lol maybe I can get Bergervin's job.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Koopa Kid posted:

Nobody’s trading a competent defender in this NHL for the Leafs scratches, especially knowing they have a winger jam. The Leafs need an upgrade on D but their avenues for getting one are slim and they’ll have to give more to make it happen.

The rentals out there are pretty brutal, best they can hope for is poaching a guy with term from a team starting the rebuild (like, oh, McDonagh) but with like their 1st and Brown + mid pick/prospects. Anybody that thinks they’re moving Nylander/Marner is dreaming though.

Rumor has it Boston is hot to trot for McD but LOL at that package offer for him that you threw out there.

My personal opinion is he gets moved at the draft.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

Rumor has it Boston is hot to trot for McD but LOL at that package offer for him that you threw out there.

I mean I don’t actually think that’d get the deal done but he’s a 1 year UFA and most people overestimate what their stars are gonna get back, so prepare yourself. Hamonic cost a few picks and he was in a much better contract/career position than McD last year.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

abuse culture. posted:

People make fun of ‘grit and heart’ and poo poo but you can get away with so much clutching and grabbing in the playoffs that it made Roman Polak look like an effective player. That kind of no skill high minutes defenceman might be more valuable in the playoffs than a 3rd/4th line skill guy who will get completely erased.

the problem is, those guys grow on trees. the coyotes wouldn't want gaborik without compensation but you could have luke schenn and nick cousins for shore and maybe a 3rd or young ahl C tier prospect

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

Pillbug
There's always Bozak and JVR too (JVR being the more attractive piece). Not sure if they do that though.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Koopa Kid posted:

I mean I don’t actually think that’d get the deal done but he’s a 1 year UFA and most people overestimate what their stars are gonna get back, so prepare yourself. Hamonic cost a few picks and he was in a much better contract/career position than McD last year.

The rangers can retain, giving you a legit first paring D who can eat 25+ a night against top lines and might find his offense again in a non-poo poo AV system for under 3m of a cap hit. There's nothing to prepare for, someone will pay, we might just have to wait for the draft.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

The rangers can retain, giving you a legit first paring D who can eat 25+ a night against top lines and might find his offense again in a non-poo poo AV system for under 3m of a cap hit. There's nothing to prepare for, someone will pay, we might just have to wait for the draft.

I don’t think cap hit is the issue, I just don’t see a team that publicly declared a rebuild to the entire league having a lot of patience or leverage in negotiations, and I doubt any playoff contender is going to give anything resembling a decent roster player for a 28 year-old with one year to UFA on pace for 4 goals. Contenders pay in futures, not guys who contribute. But good luck, hope some GM is dumb enough to rebuild the Rangers for them.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

DuhSal posted:

There's always Bozak and JVR too (JVR being the more attractive piece). Not sure if they do that though.

I don’t think there’s any way the Leafs deal those guys, and they have no value to a rebuild anyway. They’re non-assets if the Leafs have decided to go for it, at least on the trade market.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

So now much of Dion's salary is LA even paying? I assume Toronto is paying some too.

Edit: Nope Ottawa took all his Salary.

:lol:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

abuse culture. posted:

Leivo + Soshnikov will not get you a competent defender

It could get you *checks chart* Erik Gudbranson! He's pretty close, right?

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

Pillbug

Koopa Kid posted:

I don’t think there’s any way the Leafs deal those guys, and they have no value to a rebuild anyway. They’re non-assets if the Leafs have decided to go for it, at least on the trade market.

How about in a Veteran Presence way for a young team to show them how to etc? Isn't that why the Leafs got Marleau? Though it doesn't make sense to lose guys that provide something you wanted to add in the first place.

Seems like the Leafs are hosed for the deadline in hopes of upgrading the D? Who would they move? If they stay pat, I'd like them to call up Holl again and launch Polak into space, anyway.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Canucks trading a No.1 d-man for a couple of AHLers? Vancouver says no.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Matt Zerella posted:

I feel like McD to Boston is the type of trade that would somehow upset the weird magic that Boston has had most of the year and be the cause of an unexpected early playoff exit

So I’m all for it

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I think it’s more that Boston’s March schedule is actually pretty tough from a rest/travel perspective but that inevitable dip would totally get blamed on their trade acquisitions and that would kill the magic/chemistry so I’m down no matter what.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Im glad Chicago is embracing the tank.

Im not glad the teams below them are all somehow still worse and losing just as much so the Hawks cant even claw their way closer to a better pick.

loving Edmonton. :mad:

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Koopa Kid posted:

Hamonic isn't near the defenseman McDonagh is

I don't think the Leafs would be smart to trade for McDonagh honestly because I don't think they're a real contender this year or next but I don't think people can just go down their roster/prospect list and go "eh this guy is alright but we can live without him so let's throw him into the deal and say it's good enough"

If the Leafs want some help on D for a rental they could look at Holden who would cost them a pick or so. He's actually solid enough if you're not trying to rely on him as a top pairing guy (or pairing him with Marc Staal)

This is always the same poo poo with fans when talking about a trade for a big player. No one wants to give up anything of value and they rationalize how they can offer poo poo and no that's really actually a good deal and blah blah

e: That said I suspect the Rangers are going to have a hard time getting a good young roster player in return but they should be scoring at least one blue chip prospect in all of this, not a b level prospect

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Levitate posted:

I don't think the Leafs would be smart to trade for McDonagh honestly because I don't think they're a real contender this year or next but I don't think people can just go down their roster/prospect list and go "eh this guy is alright but we can live without him so let's throw him into the deal and say it's good enough"

If the Leafs want some help on D for a rental they could look at Holden who would cost them a pick or so. He's actually solid enough if you're not trying to rely on him as a top pairing guy (or pairing him with Marc Staal)

This is always the same poo poo with fans when talking about a trade for a big player. No one wants to give up anything of value and they rationalize how they can offer poo poo and no that's really actually a good deal and blah blah

You mean my dream of Seabrook for McDavid isnt going to become a reality? :ohdear:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

N: Preds last 5: 3-0-2, all in OT or shootout

v: I love shorties.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Levitate posted:

The Leafs are in a weird spot because it’s hard to imagine adding yet another mid-level guy to a pack of 4-5 mid-level guys as an improvement, it’s just deck chairs past a certain point, but at the same time they’re not in a spot where going for it is imperative. Personally I think the best move is just to let Tampa and Boston’s top guys age out a little bit and make a move later but the future’s so hazy it’s a gamble, I don’t mind making a push but they’re too future-oriented to move a lot of guys.

Whatever you think of the market, no playoff team is going to cripple their actual roster for a glorified rental and nobody’s given me an example of a different scenario. McD’s value is going to be in futures no matter who trades for him, and if the Rags hold on to him to the draft and a team gets one playoff run out of him instead of two he’ll be worth less, not more.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The Leafs have 25MM of cap space at the end of the year, I'm sure they can upgrade somewhat with that, even with guys they plan to re-sign factored in. De Haan's available, Carlson's available, and there are also less impactful guys who are still improvements over what they have like Barberio, Cole, Hamhuis, etc.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Feb 14, 2018

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

The Leafs have 25MM of cap space at the end of the year, I'm sure they can upgrade somewhat with that, even with guys they plan to re-sign factored in

The FA market kinda sucks though. Plus if Lou is still the GM you just know they’re gonna sign some old bastard over 35.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Koopa Kid posted:

Whatever you think of the market, no playoff team is going to cripple their actual roster for a glorified rental and nobody’s given me an example of a different scenario. McD’s value is going to be in futures no matter who trades for him, and if the Rags hold on to him to the draft and a team gets one playoff run out of him instead of two he’ll be worth less, not more.

I agree no team is going to cripple their playoff roster for him (though calling him a glorified rental is weird), but when looking at a team like Tampa you could argue that it doesn't hurt them to trade Sergachev for McDonagh. Sergachev plays sheltered minutes and does quite well with them but McDonagh can play 25+ minutes per night in all situations and give you an incredible 1-2 punch with him and Hedman. That improves Tampa right now and gives them two shots at a cup run with that setup.

Does Tampa want to do that? Who knows. I'm sure they view that as a painful cost and have to decide whether it's worth it. It improves their team right now and gives them a better chance at the cup, but 3+ years down the road maybe it's not worth it if they don't win a cup.

On the other hand, maybe it's better for the Rangers to clean up on prospects and picks as you're not going to get as good a player as McDonagh in return anyways.

With the Leafs, I dunno, I'm not going to make guesses on what they might want to give up or not right now. I guess the only thing would be what their cap situation is, who needs new contracts and when, and what that means to a potential window they might see opening. Personally I'm not sold they're a contender but there may be other factors.

Your argument is also kind of funny in that you're saying "the Rangers shouldn't expect to get much for him because they're under pressure to trade him now and if they don't he'll lose value". His value is low so you have to trade him before he loses value. I don't totally buy it.

Ultimately I'm sure I"ll be disappointed in the return though.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

Pillbug

Koopa Kid posted:

The FA market kinda sucks though. Plus if Lou is still the GM you just know they’re gonna sign some old bastard over 35.

I sincerely hope Lou retires after this year. Put Dubas in charge imo.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I don’t mean to say the Rangers won’t get much, just that I expect the return to be more towards picks and guys on the cusp as opposed to outright young stars/contributors.

I have no doubt that dude’s gonna get a package of picks and prospects but to me someone like Sergachev for a 28 year old who walks next year is crazy.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Don't think Boston will go for McDonagh unless the Rangers sell low/for picks and prospects exclusively

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

abuse culture. posted:

That kind of no skill high minutes defenceman might be more valuable in the playoffs than a 3rd/4th line skill guy who will get completely erased.

Gaborik got a long term extension from the Kings entirely on the strength of his exceptional playoffs in 2013-14.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Gonna go ahead and trademark the term "Battle in Seattle" when Columbus or Vegas is in town.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Furnaceface posted:

Im glad Chicago is embracing the tank.

Im not glad the teams below them are all somehow still worse and losing just as much so the Hawks cant even claw their way closer to a better pick.

loving Edmonton. :mad:

They just lost to Arizona.

Also they're pulling a referse of lastyear where they went from bubble team to best-in-the-west by winning every game in February. This year they're going to lose every single game this month, and also not get swept in the playoffs. Progress! (?)

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

I'd laugh forever if the Rangers put out that stupid letter and then trade literally nobody, or maybe just unload some random goober AHLers and call it good

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Wamsutta posted:

I'd laugh forever if the Rangers put out that stupid letter and then trade literally nobody, or maybe just unload some random goober AHLers and call it good

Or if they make the playoffs somehow. That would be gold given the warning letter.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

CBJSprague24 posted:

Or if they make the playoffs somehow. That would be gold given the warning letter.

That's looking alarmingly possible

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Koopa Kid posted:

The Leafs are in a weird spot because it’s hard to imagine adding yet another mid-level guy to a pack of 4-5 mid-level guys as an improvement, it’s just deck chairs past a certain point, but at the same time they’re not in a spot where going for it is imperative. Personally I think the best move is just to let Tampa and Boston’s top guys age out a little bit and make a move later but the future’s so hazy it’s a gamble, I don’t mind making a push but they’re too future-oriented to move a lot of guys.

Not really? A team gets bounced. They thought they were contenders. They realize they need a cornerstone piece. And now the market is expanded beyond the 4-5 teams near the top of the playoff bracket.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Another thing to consider with McDonagh and Boston is that he's not going to be put on the first pairing there. And probably not even the minutes you'd expect from a 2nd pairing because they'd want to use Krug a lot too.

So his cost could be too high for where they'd use him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Sports Poetry Thread

The NY teams are still bad. I'm still mad

• Locked thread