Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
The crazy thing about this rejuvenated Cavs team is Kevin Love is going to replace Cedi Osman by playoff time. I made a good choice watching the Cavs over the Mavs tonight.

It's too bad the worst recent year for the Mavs has a million teams with only 18 wins at this point in the season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The Rockets made one fewer three than the Wolves attempted and also shot them at a much higher percentage, it owns

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

i personally can't wait until the 2021 rockets start shooting from behind half court

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

LBJ has passed Artis:

code:
NP	Player
6701.88	Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
5220.64	LeBron James
5215.4	Artis Gilmore
5186.28	Reggie Miller
5149.28	Karl Malone
4791.64 Shaquille O'Neal
4755.96	Charles Barkley

Spacebump posted:

It is the year 2035. The most elite NBA Players have a combination of the following stats: 9+ in threes, 9+ in speed, 9+ in steals. Elite big men have a combination of 7+ speed, 8+ in threes, and 7+ in blocks. Somehow a large amount of the league has developed the ability to jump in excess of 20 feet then dunk/land safely or be knocked out of the air without long term consequence.

Is it the shoes?

Yes, in the future the greats will all jump from the 3P line and put in a floater a few feet from the basket before quickly curling into a ball and tumbling into the stanchions.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Quizzlefish posted:

Forgive me if I misunderstand but isn't it pretty amazing for LeBron to be there considering his team barely outscores it's opponents on average?

Whereas harden being near the top is kinda predictable (not taking anything away from Jim's great season).

It is harder to be good on a bad team but no, it's not like you're thinking.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Anyone remember back in October when I asked who would have more winshares this year Dirk or Melo? I just did and decided to check. Dirk currently has 3.9 and Melo has 3.2.
lol.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Spacebump posted:

Anyone remember back in October when I asked who would have more winshares this year Dirk or Melo? I just did and decided to check. Dirk currently has 3.9 and Melo has 3.2.
lol.

lmao

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Quizzlefish posted:

Forgive me if I misunderstand but isn't it pretty amazing for LeBron to be there considering his team barely outscores it's opponents on average?

TPA is basically a graphing of Offensive Box Plus/Minus by Defensive Box Plus/Minus, so the answer is a deceptive No because OBPM, DBPM, and BPM (which is OBPM+DBPM) don't actually come from crunching numbers on a player's cumulative Plus/Minus scores, but from a much more complicated formula outlined here-- https://www.basketball-reference.com/about/bpm.html

It's a good stat and I like it

Also the writeup is from a few years ago and Westbrook had the greatest BPM season of all time last year

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Feb 14, 2018

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Spacebump posted:

lol.

I'm glad Dirk's still contributing at his age, such a likable guy. I'm quite positive he's a Mav for life but I wonder if they got calls, he still shoots extremely well.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Dejan Bimble posted:

The old proposal was, get rid of the corners. But now that above the break threes are de rigeur for the elite teams, what can you do? Just pull the entire line out 3 feet, ? Reward midrange jumpers with 2.5 points? Give post up baskets 2.2?

My proposal years ago was that points are now calculated based off the distance the shooter is from the hoop

Free throw line dunkers are now the new market inefficiency

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

1 + 2 * (distance / 23')

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Steph Curry owns the 4th best BPM season of all time, you guys might remember it because that was the season he won the first ever unanimous MVP and then his team blew a 3-1 lead in the NBA finals

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Super rangy guys like Curry are still super valuable because now the 27' shot is worth more than the Bruce Bowen corner 3

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

WhyteRyce posted:

Super rangy guys like Curry are still super valuable because now the 27' shot is worth more than the Bruce Bowen corner 3

range will be the new wingspan

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
How big an impact on shot selection would scoring baskets by 3s and 4s have

Just keep ratcheting up those numbers until you find the ideal balance between the values of shots inside and outside the arc. It's simple math folks

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:
Oh yeah I forgot to mention that the Spurs are garbage, they aren't going to win 50 games, and Kawhi's tendon is degenerative and he's going to be limited the rest of his career if he can even play.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Rockets are 0.5 games behind the Warriors now :ohdear:

IMO freeze Chris Paul in carbonite and don't defrost him till the WCF

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

WhyteRyce posted:

1 + 2 * (distance / 23')

someone check this math and finish it for me please:

NBA court length = 94'
width = 50'
center of basket (distance from which shot length is calculated) is 5'2"ft away from the baseline,

longest possible shot is:
less than the square root of [(94' - 5'2")^2 + (25')^2 ]

= how many points??

I'm personally excited to see basketball scores with decimals in them

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
imagine losing a game by a few thousandths of a point

haha imagine losing a game due to rounding up or down

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Feb 14, 2018

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Bashez posted:

Oh yeah I forgot to mention that the Spurs are garbage, they aren't going to win 50 games, and Kawhi's tendon is degenerative and he's going to be limited the rest of his career if he can even play.
There's good news and bad news

There's an important attachment of the quad to the knee that's avascular, so if it tears you would expect degeneration, because there aren't veins to deliver blood to the area.

What seems important is surgery as soon as possible.

What's probable is a consistently weaker quad post injury. But they have great trainers and that can be resolved over a few years.

Hopefully he weakness won't cause more knee stuff, and jumpers knee is usually seen in young athletes with quad tendon tears, so there's already some knee issue to work through.

The sky isn't falling, but if the Spurs want to do one of their patented one year tanks for a great player, next year is probably a good year to try. Trade Lamarcus, let Kawhi mend himself, build the team around he and Lebron James Jr.

This year's draft is supposed to be weak after the lottery, but smart teams will always find 4 or so players of those 11-30 guys

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

WhyteRyce posted:

My proposal years ago was that points are now calculated based off the distance the shooter is from the hoop

That's a great idea. SecondSpectrum or whatever the camera system is called now can calculate that in real time. You want more points, you either jump further or camp out by the announcers' table

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Spacebump posted:

It is the year 2035. The most elite NBA Players have a combination of the following stats: 9+ in threes, 9+ in speed, 9+ in steals. Elite big men have a combination of 7+ speed, 8+ in threes, and 7+ in blocks. Somehow a large amount of the league has developed the ability to jump in excess of 20 feet then dunk/land safely or be knocked out of the air without long term consequence.

Is it the shoes?

It's gotta be the shoes

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

EvanTH posted:

imagine losing a game by a few thousandths of a point

haha imagine losing a game due to rounding up or down

players all busting out ti-89s to contest a call

coaches arguing with refs about the area under a curve

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

WhyteRyce posted:

Dunks are the least efficient shot. A shameful proposal.

xbilkis posted:

How big an impact on shot selection would scoring baskets by 3s and 4s have

Just keep ratcheting up those numbers until you find the ideal balance between the values of shots inside and outside the arc. It's simple math folks

This is actually the simplest idea if you want to get away from the Rocket shot chart.

Although right now the #3 and #4 team in the west hardly shoot 3s at all and the Timberwolves are the 3rd best offense in the league. They put up 108 against Houston. Offense and shot selection is not their problem.

Spurs and Wolves are both showing that you can be a good team with a good offense and not be based around 3s. Even with Kawhi the Spurs are primarily a midrange team (in 2018 terms.)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I'm glad the Cavs are good again. That is a sick bench unit now.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Spacebump posted:

lol.

lol

dirk can't do anything but shoot nowadays so he just decided to have his best shooting year ever by eFG

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Dejan Bimble posted:

I lament the death of the midrange as an area "where basketball may be played by non superstars/tiny guards with slick slick slick floaters" but drat, you can't play the rockets and expect to win by attempting like 30 points fewer-worth of shots. The wolves boys need to make their way past the arc.

The old proposal was, get rid of the corners. But now that above the break threes are de rigeur for the elite teams, what can you do? Just pull the entire line out 3 feet, ? Reward midrange jumpers with 2.5 points? Give post up baskets 2.2?

What if you make a midrange shot outside the paint, you get the ball back. I think that's fair. But the other team can rebound your make and if they get it, it's normal check and back to play.

You get way more dunks when people aren't clogging the lane by popping out/spotting up for mid range shots. I'd rather have more 3s/dunks than mid range jumpers.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Panzeh posted:

You get way more dunks when people aren't clogging the lane by popping out/spotting up for mid range shots. I'd rather have more 3s/dunks than mid range jumpers.

I'm trying to find total # of dunks per game per year to see if dunking correlates with 3pt attempts

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://streamable.com/zbchl

what the gently caress, Toronto

Also I am glad that I turned off the Wolves game to watch the Olympics when I did, jesus christ.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

IcePhoenix posted:

https://streamable.com/zbchl

what the gently caress, Toronto

Also I am glad that I turned off the Wolves game to watch the Olympics when I did, jesus christ.

:same:

Switzerland v Sweden women's hockey was a real good match.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

euphronius posted:

I'm glad the Cavs are good again. That is a sick bench unit now.

after that january/early feb it's like a blast of fresh air

Good Work You Get An HIV
Feb 22, 2016

I forgot bashez exists solely to bash the Spurs his favorite team

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dutchy posted:

lol

dirk can't do anything but shoot nowadays so he just decided to have his best shooting year ever by eFG

Hey man, Dirk can do anything.
https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/status/961836173852270592

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
The race just to make the playoffs in the West is close:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Can't believe the Spurs are in 3rd with roster of rec league dudes Pop picked up at the Y

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

zoux posted:

Can't believe the Spurs are in 3rd with roster of rec league dudes Pop picked up at the Y

Dang I know people dislike LaMarcus but no need to be so rude

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Brolander posted:

after that january/early feb it's like a blast of fresh air

More importantly, unless there are some massive moves (which is possible) I don't know what team that can offer Lebron a max would be better than the current Cavaliers squad, especially given they can make one more move with the Nets pick if they want. I don't think Lebron moves to go be a 2nd round team in the West.

Philly I guess, but that just feels weird.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What in the hell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ept29ceiVfk

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

This could have been goodentertaining if it was with the people from the commercials instead of the TNT crew.

The line at the end was funny at least though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I'm making a separate post for this because it's very important.

Youtube TV just added TNT to their base package. Life is incredibly good.

• Locked thread