Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

codenameFANGIO posted:

I have been playing Yakuza 0 and Shadow Of The Colossus and Bloodborne and I have to say. I feel like I have almost attained true enlightenment. Soon I can ascend to Gamer Nirvana.

Reach the mountain top of killing big rear end monsters(and mister shakedown)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Raxivace posted:

Man I need to play the Xillia games at some point.

Don't try and play them both in a row

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

happy valentine's day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W91fE-cUcPc

In Training posted:

drat I should play Bloodborne again

I was just about to get my second playthrough to the DLC... and then Monster Hunter came out

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

The Colonel posted:

that's called a DOUBLE DEMON FANG

no that's using demon fang twice in a row, doubledemon fang has a completely separate proficiency

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Monster Hunter has helped me determine that I do not wish to have a career in egg delivery.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

chumbler posted:

Monster Hunter has helped me determine that I do not wish to have a career in egg delivery.
please deliver the eggs, edith massey needs eggs

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

chumbler posted:

I've only done one of those quests and hated every second of it

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Use the ghillie mantle

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

So what's new and hot in PC land anyway, I've been in MH World purgatory for weeks and I've got a new monitor to put to its paces here

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm still enjoying captain rainbow but i think this game has a really weak middle, compared to chibi-robo where you're always getting new tools and upgrades that open up potential to reach new areas and the story is always progressing and giving you new interactions with the family each day, captain rainbow never does anything to change its core gameplay loop and it wants you to repeat that loop roughly a dozen times. it's saved by having generally really fun writing around most of its cast and actually decent minigames, but because its loop is about sending people off from the island that also creates an issue where characters are very limited in the interaction they can have so after you're done with them you don't really have much to do but send them away or else it becomes slowly apparent how little they have to say. plus, the way the game handles shooting star nights creates a situation of it being so easy to hit one that you'll end up sending off the characters who do have lasting interactions because they're your only current options and you don't want to waste your time

otoh,

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Andrast posted:

Use the ghillie mantle

It's not the monsters that are the problem, it just takes an age to go from the rathian nest in ancient forest all the way back to the starting camp which I think is the only one you can deliver to since the others need you to crawl. And that's with the carrying stuff faster skill.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

The Colonel posted:

i'm still enjoying captain rainbow but i think this game has a really weak middle, compared to chibi-robo where you're always getting new tools and upgrades that open up potential to reach new areas and the story is always progressing and giving you new interactions with the family each day, captain rainbow never does anything to change its core gameplay loop and it wants you to repeat that loop roughly a dozen times. it's saved by having generally really fun writing around most of its cast and actually decent minigames, but because its loop is about sending people off from the island that also creates an issue where characters are very limited in the interaction they can have so after you're done with them you don't really have much to do but send them away or else it becomes slowly apparent how little they have to say. plus, the way the game handles shooting star nights creates a situation of it being so easy to hit one that you'll end up sending off the characters who do have lasting interactions because they're your only current options and you don't want to waste your time

otoh,

what is this like fuckin gamecube chulip

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

chumbler posted:

It's not the monsters that are the problem, it just takes an age to go from the rathian nest in ancient forest all the way back to the starting camp which I think is the only one you can deliver to since the others need you to crawl. And that's with the carrying stuff faster skill.

Oh, oh god, no, you can go right around back to the ancient forest camp. Two quick clockwise loops.

You poor soul.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

chumbler posted:

nah, you can loop back around to the ancient forest camp if you go inside the tree, its shorter but its still annoying

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

The White Dragon posted:

what is this like fuckin gamecube chulip

it's similar and the director founded the company the director of chulip worked at before making chulip, but captain rainbow is directed by kenichi nishi who co-directed chibi-robo, and chulip was directed by yoshiro kimura and is also a better game

captain rainbow is basically chulip but it's about a washed-up super hero who's sad the kids don't like him cause he isn't cool anymore going to an island that grants wishes and helping out a bunch of nintendo characters nobody remembers or likes and also little mac

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
what's up my dudes

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I finally gave up and looked up how to find the heart room in the second level of Celeste

How in the hell would I have ever thought to do that. I'm angry

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Feb 14, 2018

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i'm trying to come up with exciting legendary armor names for mundane clothing

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The White Dragon posted:

i'm trying to come up with exciting legendary armor names for mundane clothing

Seraphs sack cloth jerkin

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Sack jerkin

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Ciaphas posted:

So what's new and hot in PC land anyway, I've been in MH World purgatory for weeks and I've got a new monitor to put to its paces here

Kingdom Come: Deliverance. It's janky as gently caress but I can't stop playing it. The voice acting and story, at least so far, is exceptional.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://i.imgur.com/rOq85ri.mp4

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Propaganda Hour posted:

Kingdom Come: Deliverance. It's janky as gently caress but I can't stop playing it. The voice acting and story, at least so far, is exceptional.

sadly jank (at least as we usually use the term) is a thing i've mostly run out of patience with :(

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Y'all what's with that cutscene in Shadow of the Colossus where Wander has a vision of the future? I saw it again the other day and like nobody ever talks about it.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm gonna recommend bit generations: soundcatcher to anyone who wants a cool gba game built around playing it with your eyes closed using sound. the bit generations games in general are some rad stuff, stylish and really intuitive puzzle games

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Raxivace posted:

Y'all what's with that cutscene in Shadow of the Colossus where Wander has a vision of the future? I saw it again the other day and like nobody ever talks about it.

The short one after you kill the 8th colossus? Never thought much of it, just saw it as a "oh yeah this is why you're here again" cutscene.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

exquisite tea posted:

The short one after you kill the 8th colossus? Never thought much of it, just saw it as a "oh yeah this is why you're here again" cutscene.
That's all I saw it as until I realized the way the camera violently pulls back seems to evoke Wander getting sucked into the light in the ending.

The dream sequence even has a variation of the Colossus death theme playing, just like in the ending.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think its narrative purpose is to convey the growing sense of inevitability to Wander's quest while informing the player that the game hasn't totally forgotten the story. I think it's when you also start to see Wander deterioriating in close-ups.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Raxivace posted:

Uh oh, you were not supposed to see this. Paging Fumito Ueda.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

Subnautica is cool and fresh and really loving good. If you like the idea of small vehicles being deployed out of bigger ones as much as I do, it’s a must-play. I hope you can handle being in the darkest depths of the ocean, relying on a sonar ping every few seconds to warn you about the incoming jaws of a sea monster, because it simulates that kind of horror really perfectly (but also some of the writing is genuinely funny, so maybe that can help)

I was just thinking about my list of “games that made me upgrade my PC”. First was Fallout 3, then Deus Ex Human Revolution, then Dark Souls 3, and now Subnautica!

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
https://twitter.com/remedygames/status/963730390107279360

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Macaluso posted:

I finally gave up and looked up how to find the heart room in the second level of Celeste

How in the hell would I have ever thought to do that. I'm angry

I think it's better dependent on you noticing that leaving a room resets your dash, which I think you need for like one strawberry that I luckily did manage to figure out, but the game never directly tells you.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Starting January I decided to finish like 5 Sonic games I had left a quarter/over half-way through and right now after being done with Forces/Mania and continuing Lost World/Generations I feel like this guy is my spirit animal
https://youtu.be/pKYLATrnvDE?t=1h20m31s

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

oddium posted:

link... he come to town :D :twisted: :peanut:

Hell yea system of a mf down

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What should I name my three ships in Subnautica? There’s a speedy sub, a big bulky sub, and a mech suit

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Subby McSubface

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Jay Rust posted:

What should I name my three ships in Subnautica? There’s a speedy sub, a big bulky sub, and a mech suit
Zippy, Nautilus, Z'Gok.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Jyuratodus

e: watched that resident evil damnation yesterday, it was ok. sort of cgi but realistic? Not quite like that Beowulf from a while back but a little bit reminiscent. anyway it had Leon and Ada in it and a couple of Tyrants and a bunch of Lickers and it was very silly. To be honest I wasn't sure if it was a video games one or a Jojovich one and I just set it to record a couple of days ago.

anyway for free it was worth a punt

McDragon fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Feb 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

Way, Sandwich, & Zero

• Locked thread