Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
My work laptop was 3300 canadian dollars lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xThrasheRx
Jul 12, 2005

Surrealistic
I feel lucky with my work laptop after reading some of the answers here.

I have a Dell 5580 - i7-7820HQ, 32 GB of RAM, 512 GB NVME SSD - 4 lbs weight

Preeeeeeeeeeeeeetttttty nice compared to the brickhouse Dell M4800 I had before.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
My work laptop is overkill.

Lenovo IdeaPad Y700-15

Intel Core i7-6700HQ, GeForce GTX 960M, 256GB SSD, 2TB HDD, 16GB Ram, 2.6KG weight

I'd trade it in for a lighter laptop if I could.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bob Morales posted:

"Why are emails being delayed? <whoever> sent me an email at 8:47 and it just came in at 9:07a."

:derp:

Should I reply with:

"It's not called instant messenger"

"Your fat rear end didn't even get to work until 8:52"

"Rackspace is looking into it"

"I received your email at XX:XX can you tell me what time you sent it?"

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Wiggly posted:

My dream job. Boss still buys hard drives. :emo:

I make up the entirety of the IT "department" so I get to set the standards :D

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Things you don't want to hear as the MSP provider: "I think it'd be faster, and cheaper, to build a whole new dc, build out a clean domain, and reconnect all 250 users to this new domain than to go through and fix all these network and gpo issues."

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

They’re probably not wrong.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
That sounds like an insane amount of billable hours either way, so yeah certainly not the worst thing to do.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

The Fool posted:

They’re probably not wrong.

Yeah sometimes it's the far better choice.

Like this client I'm doing it for who have a Windows 2000 domain with all FSMO roles living on long-decommissioned DCs (and by decommissioned I just mean turned off, natch, not actually decommed) with servers on the domain running such an old version of Oracle that Oracle has said they're happy to sell the client extended support (because, Larry) but they don't actually have anyone who would know how to fix it anymore. Plus any and all other misconfiguration problems you can imagine in a W2k domain that's still being used in the year 2018.

So yeah.....

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
One day we will burn down our existing AD, and all the cruft and dead accounts and garbage GPOs with it. One day :smith:

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Antioch posted:

One day we will burn down our existing AD, and all the cruft and dead accounts and garbage GPOs with it. One day :smith:

Our AD is a .local... Started life as a 2000 functional level, was raised to 2003, where it stays to this day. We still have 3 active 2003 DCs, so still using FRS replication.

One day I will be able to switch to DFS replication... One day...

But I have also been good about keeping it clean. Old accounts are deleted when no longer needed. New GPO for every setting, GPOs are named for what they do. Makes cleanup easy. Unlike an acquaintance of mine that puts EVERYTHING into the Default Domain Policy.

stevewm fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Feb 13, 2018

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015
Ours also started life as a .local, but I had to go through the rigamarole of converting it late last year when our Exchange SSL cert expired and they wouldn't issue us a new one with the .local domain included.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

ilkhan posted:

Things you don't want to hear as the MSP provider: "I think it'd be faster, and cheaper, to build a whole new dc, build out a clean domain, and reconnect all 250 users to this new domain than to go through and fix all these network and gpo issues."

Now, before the sun comes up, we're going to build on this site an exact replica of the DC...

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

You son of a bitch, you remade the domain but you left the buffaloes, didn't you? You son of a bitch, you left the buffaloes and you only moved the dc!! YOU ONLY MOVED THE DC!!! WHY?! WHY?!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Ghostlight posted:

You son of a bitch, you remade the domain but you left the buffaloes, didn't you? You son of a bitch, you left the buffaloes and you only moved the dc!! YOU ONLY MOVED THE DC!!! WHY?! WHY?!

:perfect:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The curse raises its head as I promptly receive this ticket:

=======
Ticket Summary: [Remote employee] can't hear people on calls

Ticket Details: They can hear her (I tested) but she can't hear them. Have restarted Jabra wireless headset but no joy. She does not have the Jabra Wireless as an option in her skype for business dropdown box just mic and speakers by the looks. Can you please check settings

Contact Info: Phone

Urgency: Urgent
=======

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Repair install the Jabra software and/or update it. That was an issue that supposedly been fixed with the newer versions of the software.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Had a salesman complaining that he couldn't maximize any window in our EDI app.

Seems the Windows 10 1709 update brought in a bug with Remote App windows and the taskbar.

If you have the taskbar set to auto-hide, when you maximize any RemoteApp window, the RemoteApp window will go haywire and half disappear. Setting the taskbar to not auto hide fixes the problem immediately.

https://social.technet.microsoft.co...n10itprogeneral

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Okay why has everyone apparently decided that "cyber" now means exclusively "cybersecurity"?

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Data Graham posted:

Okay why has everyone apparently decided that "cyber" now means exclusively "cybersecurity"?

Wait, really? That's a thing now? Because when I hear "cyber" the first thing I think of is 2000 era chat rooms and hot singles in my area.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Garrand posted:

Wait, really? That's a thing now? Because when I hear "cyber" the first thing I think of is 2000 era chat rooms and hot singles in my area.

the amount of family members who think I do "cybersecurity" is staggering

like i investigate endpoints guys. calling that cybersec is ridiculous

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

A ticket came in:

Customer states that the firewall we manage has been breached and they have been hacked. Their timer board is showing "Glory to Ukraine, Death to USA".

Investigation reveals that they have the thing plugged straight into their modem and a public IP assigned to it. Further investigation reveals that no credentials are required to login and modify it.

After explaining this to the customer, the only reply we get is "thx".

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Garrand posted:

That definition got overtaken by teledildonics.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Garrand posted:

a/s/l?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Data Graham posted:

I blame CSI: Cyber.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

A delivery came in

Hope the PCs inside boot up.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

If I have to listen to one more person talk about the "old laptops" we give them because we buy thinkpads and they don't look as modern as their macbooks...

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I blame CSI: Cyber.

I picked up the first season of CSI:Cyber super cheap and was watching it just to laugh at everything that was so hilariously wrong. My favorite was their visual depiction of tracking traffic through the deep web as if the deep web were a physical place below the internet, indicated by big scary red glowing letters that said DEEP WEB.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
And then I have to deal with my mom saying "But I saw it on CSI and they say that CSI is based off of real life so it's real!!!!!!"

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

GreenNight posted:

I do like the 840's. Still using the side dock instead the poo poo USB3 or Thunderbolt docks.

I'm using a Lenovo USB C dock with my T470 and it kicks rear end. Every USB3 dock I've seen has sucked, which is the main reason I went with USB C. I figured, surely they've figured it out now?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Kurieg posted:

I picked up the first season of CSI:Cyber super cheap and was watching it just to laugh at everything that was so hilariously wrong. My favorite was their visual depiction of tracking traffic through the deep web as if the deep web were a physical place below the internet, indicated by big scary red glowing letters that said DEEP WEB.

So darktrace decided to go full bore on the CYBER GRAPHICS poo poo and it's incredibly infurating to use this slow as hell web service that's running a ridiculously fancy and ridiculously useless topology in the background.

My dude. If I'm analyzing DNS logs seeing some fancy CSI crap is exactly what I don't want or need.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

I'm using a Lenovo USB C dock with my T470 and it kicks rear end. Every USB3 dock I've seen has sucked, which is the main reason I went with USB C. I figured, surely they've figured it out now?

This one? https://www3.lenovo.com/us/en/accessories-and-monitors/home-office/Thinkpad-USB-C-Dock/p/40A90090US drat it why did they put a VGA and not either a dvi or hdmi instead ><

We're trying to find a usb c docking solution that works with both our macs and our dells and we just keep hitting wall after wall. There's one that my husband uses at his office that is like $300 that he likes alot but we aren't ready to put that kinda cheddar down. We're also looking at possibly changing from the dells to something else if we can find the power of the m4800s at a lower price point with less bulk maybe.

Here's to getting more dell try and buys in. ugh.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I gave up on docks, I plug my XPS 13 into a USB-C DisplayPort MST splitter that outputs to two displays, and then the USB hub in my monitors, and power. If you get monitors that support DisplayPort chaining (newer Dell UltraSharps) then you don't need the MST hub.

Yeah it's three things to plug in rather than one, but it's reliable.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

wa27 posted:

If I have to listen to one more person talk about the "old laptops" we give them because we buy thinkpads and they don't look as modern as their macbooks...

I had one lady email her boss and CC me complaining when she started because she didn't like the "extremely used" laptop we gave her. The only thing wrong with it was the paint on some of the home row keys wearing off.

It's crazy how entitled people are - I'd understand if it was your personal property but it's a company PC, you don't get to keep it, why do you care if some paint is missing?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I bought one of the Lenovo big TB docks and have been surprised that my boss hasn't complained about it. She used to use an X1 with one of those small monolith USB docks and those could get wonky with USB accessories, like wireless mice.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Sheep posted:

I had one lady email her boss and CC me complaining when she started because she didn't like the "extremely used" laptop we gave her. The only thing wrong with it was the paint on some of the home row keys wearing off.

It's crazy how entitled people are - I'd understand if it was your personal property but it's a company PC, you don't get to keep it, why do you care if some paint is missing?

Not saying that this is the condition your stuff was in but if you're paying someone decent money and their first day at your company has them sitting on a poo poo chair using a dirty keyboard and staring at a monitor covered in fingerprints then you're doing things wrong.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah hardly anyone below C level gets new equipment. It just doesn't happen.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

The Iron Rose posted:

So darktrace decided to go full bore on the CYBER GRAPHICS poo poo and it's incredibly infurating to use this slow as hell web service that's running a ridiculously fancy and ridiculously useless topology in the background.

My dude. If I'm analyzing DNS logs seeing some fancy CSI crap is exactly what I don't want or need.
This is literally why my last place didn't go with them. I think my exact words when asked about it were "it's like I'm hacking in a 90's movie GUI, at 90's CPU speeds".

Also I really didn't like it that you could dismiss a notification almost by accident with no confirmation required, but there didn't seem to be a way to list the notifications that you had previously dismissed so you could examine or restore them. But mostly the GUI thing.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

Not saying that this is the condition your stuff was in but if you're paying someone decent money and their first day at your company has them sitting on a poo poo chair using a dirty keyboard and staring at a monitor covered in fingerprints then you're doing things wrong.

I made sure stuff was clean, and we were on a 3 year lifecycle anyways so everything was quite new. This lady was just being annoying for no good reason. I could have handed her the laptop her coworker had just returned to me which was covered in animal hair and food crumbs, which I actually trashed instead of trying to clean or salvage since it was a borderline biohazard situation and there isn't an MSDS for cat piss as far as I am aware.

Unrelated: My first day at my current place I had a desk but my chair was an OSHA violation. Great way to start off on the right foot - "when someone leaves, the vultures swoop in and take all their stuff". My chair is still garbage compared to the ones everyone else has but whatever.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Feb 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

silicone thrills posted:

This one? https://www3.lenovo.com/us/en/accessories-and-monitors/home-office/Thinkpad-USB-C-Dock/p/40A90090US drat it why did they put a VGA and not either a dvi or hdmi instead ><

We're trying to find a usb c docking solution that works with both our macs and our dells and we just keep hitting wall after wall. There's one that my husband uses at his office that is like $300 that he likes alot but we aren't ready to put that kinda cheddar down. We're also looking at possibly changing from the dells to something else if we can find the power of the m4800s at a lower price point with less bulk maybe.

Here's to getting more dell try and buys in. ugh.

Not sure of the exact model off hand but that looks like it. My coworker with a Mac plugged in his usb c to test it and it came up on my dual monitors almost instantly. I’m using DisplayPort to both my monitors from the dock, so no issues there.