Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

https://twitter.com/rainbowfission/status/963134776814292996
https://twitter.com/rainbowfission/status/963135023321964545

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry

Can I get a muscledudes mural delivered? Like nothing but this, times ten. The glistening really makes it.
Never be afraid to post just art words, either. It's helpful and it's not like we got an art discussion thread.

Spinster posted:

I've got an idea for another joke thread, I don't have the hours and hours to properly practice drawing (MAN I know I need to)---- what kills me is perspective. I didn't for this one but what I'm going to have to do is find a photo I can use to get that, god.

Your relentless drawing IS your hours and hours of practice!
I mean, you could search for some tutorial on basic perspective and pull your hair out because NOTHING looks right OR you could learn to fudge it by obscuring the things that would show perspective. That's what I do.
Also I love one tiddy one cup.

I tried to draw a Shame demon, and ironically it came out so bad I'm too ashamed to show it to anyone. Success!?

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Can I get a muscledudes mural delivered? Like nothing but this, times ten. The glistening really makes it.
Of couse, the expensive part is the magical seal to prevent the musclemen from busting out of the wall and creating a public nuisance

Sharpest Crayon posted:

I tried to draw a Shame demon, and ironically it came out so bad I'm too ashamed to show it to anyone. Success!?
aw poo poo speaking of magical seals, you may have actually conjured a Shame demon. the only solution is to find someone totally lacking in shame to foist it off onto

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Did a paint your partner paint and pour. I’m satisfied with the result.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

I feel like most of the time I spend drawing people is having to redraw hands :rolleyes:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
im pretty sure i need 1000 more hours to draw a hand near that good so i declare humblebrag 😘

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Al! posted:

im pretty sure i need 1000 more hours to draw a hand near that good so i declare humblebrag 😘
well maybe :blush: but at any rate into the digital garbage oblivion it goes

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

even in death, still loyal. what a good doggie :)

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

ok this might be a bit phallic

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Al! posted:

I see nothing penis about that mother father. I mean....

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Al! posted:

I see a pizza slice.

And a penis. Just so we're clear that's definitely a penis with a pizza slice sticking out its back.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Random question but what digital painting tutorials took you guys the farthest? I have been watching some of Marc Brunet's and of course there is Ctrl + paint - but I am curious if you guys have favorites.

Content incoming.

Daily drawing

Zbrush doodle

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Feb 14, 2018

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

Al! posted:

Seriously no-one gonna say it? Ok, it's gotta be me. *ahem*

UR MUMS DILDO ARRIVED

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Celeste is really good and I wanted to draw it.

https://twitter.com/rainbowfission/status/963536023782379520

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

sigma 6 posted:

Random question but what digital painting tutorials took you guys the farthest?

NO TUTORIALS WE DIE LIKE MEN

..whaddya mean "it shows"?

Edited to add: not having watched any tutorials is the reason I've not recommended any to anyone on here, ever, sorry! I've tried to watch a couple tutorial videos but they move so goddamn slow I just get frustrated and decide I'd much rather bang my head on a wall and learn that way.

Sharpest Crayon fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Feb 14, 2018

sinc
Jul 6, 2008
Practicing some shading with the boringest of all genres, stuff found in the kitchen

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

^^^ I find still life paintings boring as hell but that's a great rendering!

Sharpest Crayon posted:

NO TUTORIALS WE DIE LIKE MEN

Edited to add: not having watched any tutorials is the reason I've not recommended any to anyone on here, ever, sorry! I've tried to watch a couple tutorial videos but they move so goddamn slow I just get frustrated and decide I'd much rather bang my head on a wall and learn that way.

Hehe. Doesn't have to be video tutorials. I always like this one for fundamentals.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Feb 14, 2018

d3c0y2
Sep 29, 2009

I really, really like this one.

It's got real nice linework that compliments your cartoon-style.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

sigma 6 posted:

Hehe. Doesn't have to be video tutorials. I always like this one for fundamentals.
yeah I don't really watch video tutorials either but for written tutorials I like handprint

e: oh and how could I forget, Gurney Journey!

e2: you know, I don't know why that is. I can easily spend an hour reading written guides but I get bored trying to watch a 20 min video tutorial

a hole-y ghost fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Feb 14, 2018

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

sinc posted:

Practicing some shading with the boringest of all genres, stuff found in the kitchen

Good work!

d3c0y2
Sep 29, 2009

a hole-y ghost posted:

yeah I don't really watch video tutorials either but for written tutorials I like handprint

e: oh and how could I forget, Gurney Journey!

e2: you know, I don't know why that is. I can easily spend an hour reading written guides but I get bored trying to watch a 20 min video tutorial

Im the exact same way. I like to digest the information at my own pace and often find videos are rather...slow in dripfeeding me the information I want.

Also ironically considering I'm trying to learn to be a better artist, I'm not a visual learner haha.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

d3c0y2 posted:

Im the exact same way. I like to digest the information at my own pace and often find videos are rather...slow in dripfeeding me the information I want.

Also ironically considering I'm trying to learn to be a better artist, I'm not a visual learner haha.

my art education is i have a friend/mentor who every once in a while says "you should try this" and i try it and make a huge leap. posting itt helps too

d3c0y2
Sep 29, 2009

Al! posted:

my art education is i have a friend/mentor who every once in a while says "you should try this" and i try it and make a huge leap. posting itt helps too

Yeah the biggest leap forward I'd made in months, happened thanks to this thread. The improvement happened so quick even I noticed it. I've slowed down again since then, but I guess expecting improvement to be constant - especially at that pace is impossible.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

d3c0y2 posted:

I really, really like this one.

It's got real nice linework that compliments your cartoon-style.

Thanks! It helps that the art from the game itself is really good.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

d3c0y2 posted:

Yeah the biggest leap forward I'd made in months, happened thanks to this thread. The improvement happened so quick even I noticed it. I've slowed down again since then, but I guess expecting improvement to be constant - especially at that pace is impossible.
It'll happen again. Improvement comes in lurches. It's actually kind of a good thing, especially for exhibiting artists—this means you have periods of relatively consistent art instead of every piece being worse than the one that comes after.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

a hole-y ghost posted:

It'll happen again. Improvement comes in lurches. It's actually kind of a good thing, especially for exhibiting artists—this means you have periods of relatively consistent art instead of every piece being worse than the one that comes after.

thats the thing i'm realizing from actually working at it this long, its all peaks and plateaus (that graph that someone (you?) posted earlier made me depressed but it's pretty correct)

anyways, heres another ghost gif..... i'm having a lot of fun doing these, u can call this my ectoplasm period

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

ddddouble post, my style might be radically shifting in some ways

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
I never made a metal logo before but did this for a joke:

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

Neon Noodle posted:

I never made a metal logo before but did this for a joke:

Too easy to read!

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

I realize that now! I am shame. :smith:

I have been following this fun twitter account called @conceptsbot, it tweets weird surreal ideas. I took one of them and did it as a 90's computer magazine ad:

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
I got a digitizer tablet and I've been trying to make art stuff which is something I've never been good at or tried to be good at. It's actually turning out better than I imagined it would, I love ctrl-Z compared to using a pencil, but I can still see plenty of flaws.

1st try to figure out brushes and how krita works:

2nd go, copying the style of the sprites from a recent jam game:

A Marian to go with Robin - this time I tried making a body and draping clothes off it, to partial success:

I got some critiques on the shading, so I'm going to work on that in the short term, but I wanted to post these for posterity. Feel free to critique, I am super happy to get input.

d3c0y2
Sep 29, 2009

Al! posted:

thats the thing i'm realizing from actually working at it this long, its all peaks and plateaus (that graph that someone (you?) posted earlier made me depressed but it's pretty correct)

anyways, heres another ghost gif..... i'm having a lot of fun doing these, u can call this my ectoplasm period

Your work-rate must be so drat high, you seem to post another high quality GIF in this thread every day.

I like your ectoplasm period.

a hole-y ghost posted:

I hope so. I've been focusing mainly on reading these books and doing the exercises in them (With a little modernization in the case of Ruskin. For gently caress sake Ruskin I do not have a pen knife to score out ink, stop telling me to do it)

d3c0y2 fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Feb 14, 2018

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

I can't believe Boston Dynamics tricked me into drawing mecha.

https://twitter.com/rainbowfission/status/963859443938152449

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Somehow I can get myself back into the daily drawing groove, god damnit.

https://twitter.com/Shinmera/status/963907154452369413

I spent way too long trying to get this sea to not look like poo poo. Had to give up in the end.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

d3c0y2 posted:

Your work-rate must be so drat high, you seem to post another high quality GIF in this thread every day.

I like your ectoplasm period.

thanks!!!! it really only takes me 1-2 hours to do most gifs, 4-6 if im really trying and more for a commission obviously. aseprite is actually a really really good program in most respects for quickly doing animations, there are a couple of things that bug me about it but ultimately it fits my working style and taste like a glove.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Al, would you ever consider learning a more full-featured animation program like OpenToonz?

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Shinmera posted:

Somehow I can get myself back into the daily drawing groove, god damnit.

https://twitter.com/Shinmera/status/963907154452369413

I spent way too long trying to get this sea to not look like poo poo. Had to give up in the end.

Next time a suggestion from a total ignoramus (me) is having the umbrella be almost taking water, just barely not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

Al! posted:

It was me, I depressed you. Getcher dreams ruined right heah!
At least just like bitcoin, you can only go up! up! UP! on that graph.
I'm digging the subtle sugarskull adds to this one btw.

I love that terrible rasterization, it's absolutely perfect. A special brush? Special filter?

I drew the shame demon again, and this time I thought it came out better, but then I looked at it again and it looked like SHIIIIIIIIIT FUUUUUCK and then I looked at the previous shame demon and I was all like "huh wtf that doesn't look that bad actually why the gently caress did it look like a child scribbled it on toilet paper when I made it?" so now I'm gonna post both, confident that they'll both look even better tomorrow when I look back at them.