Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Nobody's going to help you with your rebuild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Don't think Boston will go for McDonagh unless the Rangers sell low/for picks and prospects exclusively

picks and prospects exclusively is what a team should be looking for in a rebuild, there's no reason to aim for established roster players unless they're under like, 23

Call Your Grandma posted:

Nobody's going to help you with your rebuild.

tell that to the chicago blackhawks and the pittsburgh penguins

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
Yzerman already mentioned he’s not moving roster players. Are you calling him a liar?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/NHL/status/963791233184358400

God drat, MAF.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

Not quite Pavel Bure 2001 but that’s a determined man.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Hasek approves.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/geoffmang/status/963802316821450753

lmao

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
Fire Trotz.

Shoot Orpik into the sun.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Gunjin posted:

Fire Trotz.

A shorthanded tying goal with 15 seconds left in regulation would make me break stuff in my house.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Wonderllama posted:

Yzerman already mentioned he’s not moving roster players. Are you calling him a liar?

i said the exact opposite of that, actually

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

CBJSprague24 posted:

A shorthanded tying goal with 15 seconds left in regulation would make me break stuff in my house.

I would love to see the Torts meltdown if that happened to CBJ.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

iospace posted:

I would love to see the Torts meltdown if that happened to CBJ.

Eh, they already gave up a game winner with 43.2 to go in regulation and he was fairly mellow, if I remember right.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

yeah the Torts freakout thing seems to have largely passed. Guy seems to have mellowed out a lot in the last year or so from where he was.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
McDonagh is definitely being used like CBJ used Nash - to find out which players are potentially available from other teams. I don't think they trade him soon unless they manage to pry lose one of those almost untouchable pieces.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

That probably should have been a penalty

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

corn on the cop posted:

Not quite Pavel Bure 2001 but that’s a determined man.

Hall has been unbelievable. He is a top end game-changing player. I always thought he was the best possible complementary player but seeing him put the Devils on his back every night and create chances almost every rush is a treat and makes me realize he is a cornerstone guy you build a team around. Haven't had this since Kovalchuk.

Who did we trade to get him again?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Hall has been unbelievable. He is a top end game-changing player. I always thought he was the best possible complementary player but seeing him put the Devils on his back every night and create chances almost every rush is a treat and makes me realize he is a cornerstone guy you build a team around. Haven't had this since Kovalchuk.

You know usually I'm of the opinion that beings a sports exec is harder than we give it credit for and blah blah but I unironically think anyone on SAS would have done a better job with the Oilers than Chiarelli has done. How he still has a job is mystifying.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

CBJSprague24 posted:

With an empty net.

It's not even really surprising though. The Capitals have had an absurd number of overtime games this season.

e: 9-7 in OT by my count. So I guess that at least puts their 4 OT losses in the last month in perspective.

Chad Sexington fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Feb 14, 2018

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

https://www.japersrink.com/2018/2/14/17010868/brooks-orpiks-atrocious-season-capitals

He's not just bad, this year he's having single worst D performance by a Capital in the modern stats tracking era. Worse than Erskine, worse than Jurcina, worse than Chorney, god drat it worse than Tyler loving Sloan.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Canucks are holding a press conference of some sort. Probably to announce a Benning extension.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Gunjin posted:

https://www.japersrink.com/2018/2/14/17010868/brooks-orpiks-atrocious-season-capitals

He's not just bad, this year he's having single worst D performance by a Capital in the modern stats tracking era. Worse than Erskine, worse than Jurcina, worse than Chorney, god drat it worse than Tyler loving Sloan.

turns out when you run a man system, your slowest guys with the worst puck moving abilities tend to struggle even more

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Ginette Reno posted:

That probably should have been a penalty

If you're a goalie what are you supposed to do?!

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ElwoodCuse posted:

If you're a goalie what are you supposed to do?!

One of my favorite videos on youtube

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Levitate posted:

turns out when you run a man system, your slowest guys with the worst puck moving abilities tend to struggle even more

Trotz is definitely not maximizing his player usage or putting them in a position to succeed. His system is rear end, and it magnifies the extra assness that is Orpik. I've been down on Trotz as a head coach for a while, and am fully on board the fire Trotz train.

The RECAPITATOR
May 12, 2006

Cursed to like terrible teams.

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Sadness

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

a false posted:

i said the exact opposite of that, actually

Sorry, posted that late. I think that the rangers could be happy with a first, foote, and raddysh. One must imagine gorton happy.

Unfortunately, mackyD is a LD and we already got this hedman guy, and this sergachev behind him, and koekkoek and coburn....

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Wonderllama posted:

Sorry, posted that late. I think that the rangers could be happy with a first, foote, and raddysh. One must imagine gorton happy.

I'd be reasonably ok with that.

E: no retaining though

Matt Zerella fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Feb 14, 2018

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

a false posted:

picks and prospects exclusively is what a team should be looking for in a rebuild, there's no reason to aim for established roster players unless they're under like, 23

Right, what I mean is that the Rangers are going to want one of those established NHL young guys that Boston has. Pastrnak and McAvoy are untouchable but Heinen and Carlo? Maybe not. I meant I don't think Boston makes the trade if that's the ask instead of guys like Vaakaneinan/Lauzon/1sts.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The Caps employ Orpik to take the heat off Tom Wilson.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

iospace posted:

The Caps employ Orpik to take the heat off Tom Wilson.

Wilson's actually having a banner year — already matched his career high in points. Good example was last night — he created space for Ovi and Backstrom on that tap-in in the first period.

I actually don't know who should be getting most of the heat right now, if not Orpik. Oshie? Burakovsky? Really it all comes back to Trotz.

Ummagumma
Jul 19, 2004
skydog
The Jeff Glass era has come to an end in Chicago, as the Hawks just put him on waivers.

It was nice to see him get his first NHL start and win, but that was about as good as it got as he was clearly out of his depth. That said, I doubt calling up Berube is going to lead to much better results.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
happy valentines day I wrote you a poem

roses are red
sunflowers are bigger
the canadian media
thinks PKs a

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Teemu Pokemon posted:

roses are red
sunflowers are bigger
the canadian media
thinks PKs a

Lmao

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Chad Sexington posted:

Wilson's actually having a banner year — already matched his career high in points. Good example was last night — he created space for Ovi and Backstrom on that tap-in in the first period.

I actually don't know who should be getting most of the heat right now, if not Orpik. Oshie? Burakovsky? Really it all comes back to Trotz.

Orpik is the worst salary to performance ratio, there are others who are underperforming (Oshie, Beagle, Burakovsky) or were never good (Chiasson, Chorney), but none see as much ice time, in as many important situations, while performing as poorly and being as egregiously over paid. Trotz is the sour milk in the coffee, his crappiness flavors everything else about the team.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
Roses are red
Flames are as well
Jake Virtanen
Posts on r/incels

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Wonderllama posted:

Unfortunately, mackyD is a LD and we already got this hedman guy, and this sergachev behind him, and koekkoek and coburn....

Sergy gets sheltered minutes and McDonagh is a big upgrade to him right now

plus McD could play RD if they really wanted.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Right, what I mean is that the Rangers are going to want one of those established NHL young guys that Boston has. Pastrnak and McAvoy are untouchable but Heinen and Carlo? Maybe not. I meant I don't think Boston makes the trade if that's the ask instead of guys like Vaakaneinan/Lauzon/1sts.

Carlo's kind of rear end though, dunno much about Heinen. I agree there's no way they'd get Pastrnak or McAvoy

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Teemu Pokemon posted:

roses are red
sunflowers are bigger
the canadian media
thinks PKs a

:lol: holy poo poo

It sure is interesting how “big personality” has become a dogwhistle in the NHL.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
loving christ jim benning gets an extension

gently caress this loving team

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Benning has done kinda well lately hasn't he? Maybe he's reformed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

heeheex2 posted:

loving christ jim benning gets an extension

gently caress this loving team

I'm not surprised but god I wish this poo poo would stop happening to this team. Canucks fans deserve this though. I know I do.

T-Bone posted:

Benning has done kinda well lately hasn't he? Maybe he's reformed.

If you mean he actually sold at the deadline last year, then yes he's improved. Has he improved to the level where I'd say he's at least solidly below average? No.

• Locked thread