Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

baldurk posted:

Yeh I'm dead.

I’m sorry for our loss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

baldurk posted:

Yeh I'm dead.

Okay cool.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
:yum:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Poor Baldurk. His mom asked everything in the world not to harm her precious boy but forgot to ask the SA Forums. We just seemed so harmless.

Cuveball Sliders
Oct 9, 2007
So I'd really appreciate some feedback and advice. I would like to start a semi-blind playthrough of Ultimate General: Civil War starting sometime in March. I've put together a test OP and update that I would appreciate some feedback on. I apologize if I've broken any standards here as I haven't LP'd anything in years so I'm not sure what the standard is these days.

Specifically I would appreciate feedback on the picture size, as I resized them all to 800x600 and I'm worried they look too warped and blurry. Should I leave them at their native resolution or is that too table breaking?

Also is it entertaining enough to read? I have a plan to smatter letters, stories from primary sources, and excerpts from some good (and not so good) books throughout the thread, but if the battles aren't entertaining to read about then there isn't much point. Is it easy to understand what's going on? Does it give good context? Is it enjoyable?

Finally, does screenshot work for this game or should I get fraps and do it as a VLP or hybrid?

Here's the test OP. The test update will be posted shortly after. Thanks for taking the time to read and help me out.

https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=150230

Cuveball Sliders fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Feb 2, 2018

Cuveball Sliders
Oct 9, 2007
Sample update

Cuveball Sliders fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Feb 2, 2018

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Use the test poster for your sample updates, please.

Cuveball Sliders
Oct 9, 2007
Yeah those pictures look tiny and awful. What size is the standard these days?

Edit: My bad, moved to test poster.

Cuveball Sliders fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Feb 2, 2018

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
If you want to get them archived, keep to 900px or narrower. Try actually running the game at a smaller resolution, or possibly cropping the screenshots so they don't show the entire screen.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Happy birthday, LP Archive! :toot:

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Howdy, I am looking to start a short LP of BATTLETECH, the upcoming PC strategy game. I am going to use another game, MEKHQ as a campaign simulator, and then fight out the giant robot battles using the Battletch Founders Beta as commentated battles. I have drafted a first post and I was wondering if anyone had any feedback before I let it loose!

https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=150244

Edit: \/\/\/\/ Sorry, fixed!

Phrosphor fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Feb 4, 2018

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Phrosphor posted:

Thread! Vote on our first mission, and if you are wondering what the game looks like, here is some sneak peaks:

Don't do this in the sandcastle, just show us a basic example of an average update. Also use the SSLP test poster.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Phrosphor posted:

Howdy, I am looking to start a short LP of BATTLETECH, the upcoming PC strategy game. I am going to use another game, MEKHQ as a campaign simulator, and then fight out the giant robot battles using the Battletch Founders Beta as commentated battles. I have drafted a first post and I was wondering if anyone had any feedback before I let it loose!

https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=150244

Edit: \/\/\/\/ Sorry, fixed!

It looks fairly decent for a post with no particular gameplay elements, so the structure is fine.

Your larger images are extremely large and I'd recommend scaling them down a bit.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

dscruffy1 posted:

It looks fairly decent for a post with no particular gameplay elements, so the structure is fine.

Your larger images are extremely large and I'd recommend scaling them down a bit.

Thanks, the two huge images were just a scaling mistake. I'll fix those shortly.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Teledahn posted:

Don't do this in the sandcastle, just show us a basic example of an average update.

yeah, you'll get, like, one or two votes in here. you'll want to save your actually voting for the thread proper.

baldurk
Jun 21, 2005

If you won't try to find coherence in the world, have the courtesy of becoming apathetic.
I've cleared out the archive queue, if you haven't been emailed then drop me a line.

Side-note, do people not use the master list anymore? I found that a large number of the LPs didn't have entries there and I had to add them manually.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

baldurk posted:

Side-note, do people not use the master list anymore? I found that a large number of the LPs didn't have entries there and I had to add them manually.

I can't speak for anyone else but I honestly tend to forget that it exists. If I need to *find* an LP, either I know there's one going on right now because I saw the notice in the new LP thread, or I do the search on the lparchive.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I use it to check on LPs that haven't updated in a while, to check if they are Ongoing or actually Abandoned.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I didn't even know it was a thing anyone can edit until just now that you brought it up and I spotted the credentials in the OP of this thread. Huh.

I imagine most people likewise simply don't know it exists, I don't think it's mentioned anywhere on the LP archive site itself at least.

baldurk
Jun 21, 2005

If you won't try to find coherence in the world, have the courtesy of becoming apathetic.
It's not part of the public lparchive, it's only for the benefits of this forum, but it used to be that pretty much every LP would be in there. Either added by OPs themselves or someone else. Hell there used to be slap fights over the reservation list before LPs were even started (high five old LP peeps)

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

baldurk posted:

I've cleared out the archive queue, if you haven't been emailed then drop me a line.

the mod team still use it :lpsalute:

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I've definitely used it a fair amount for looking stuff up, but I always assumed it wasn't publicly editable since I probably found out about it from somewhere else than this thread.

I'll try to make better use of it from here on out.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
^^^^^^ edit: information has been quoted in the Sandcastle OP! Take a look there!

Also, a link and a blurb explaining the Master List have been in the Sandcastle OP for a while, for anyone interested. If you're feeling industrious and want to help keep the list updated, you'd be doing a service for the LP Subforum!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

baldurk posted:

I used to try to keep the Master List up to date, but it just got to be overwhelming doing it by hand so I kind of drifted away from doing it until I just stopped. I might look into keeping it up to date again or at least culling a lot of the ones that are still up there that are long since finished or abandoned.

baldurk
Jun 21, 2005

nine-gear crow posted:

or at least culling a lot of the ones that are still up there that are long since finished or abandoned.

Please don't do this - they have ongoing/finished/abandoned status for a reason. I was asking because I pull from the master list for the metadata when archiving threads.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

baldurk posted:

Please don't do this - they have ongoing/finished/abandoned status for a reason. I was asking because I pull from the master list for the metadata when archiving threads.

Oh no sorry I didn’t mean deleting their entries, I meant culling as in flipping LPs that have finished or been abandoned from Ongoing status to Abandoned or Finished.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Hooverbagel and I are going to be doing an LP of some DC games starting with PSO. I’m doing this using actual DC hardware running though a Performance VGA box, Etekcity VGA to HDMI converter, captured with an Elgato HD60.

I’d like feedback on the video, audio, and to a much lower priority the commentary... this is a test video that won’t be part of the LP proper as I plan on rolling a new character and running though the game in a different way. Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmBVZ7IJA_I

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

Hello everyone and welcome to Showdown in the Shadow of the Colossus. Where Youtuber/SA poster RandomNinja and I go head to head to take on the sixteen Colossi in the newly remastered Shadow of the Colossus.

While RandomNinja has some experinece of this game, I am going into it pretty much completely blind. Besides the name of the Colossi and images that I might have seen I know little to nothing about the fights, the mechanics, and even the design of the various Colossi.

Both of us did our own recordings and we mashed them together and provide post commentary about our runs, the game itself, and anything else that might come up as the conversation goes.

We do hope that everyone enjoys this series, both of us seem to really enjoy making it so far and it is only the first episode!

Why do a game even remastered, that came out in 2005?
Personally I can see the merit of this question as it will probably be asked, and the answer that is because I have never played/seen this game before. I am going into this with completely fresh eyes to the world and the characters within it. I also thought by doing it as a head to head competition, not only would it add a dynamic element to the commentary by adding RandomNinja, but it also gives us both a reason to try even harder to get our best times possible.

Why only the first Colossus in the first episode?
I am pretty new to the co-commentary thing on youtube so we decided to only do the first Colossus just as a test run, as well as to keep the length of the video to a decent time. Depending on the time it takes to do the other Colossi, we will either be doing only 1 or 2, as well as we plan on trying to post at least twice a week.

Table of Contents

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

People who have done screenshot LPs: what are some good guidelines for what shots to take and use? How much dialogue should I be transcribing versus screenshotting? How many steps of doing something do people need to see to follow an action?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It all depends on the game. I'm doing an LP with a looooooooot of text so I'm primarily screenshotting just important lines, introductions to scenes, and character action, but you might have less and need to take more just to keep the audience engaged. If an action is overly complex, consider a few screenshots, or hell, even that along with a straight-up description of the action. If that doesn't work, you might even consider a gif if you can fit the file size down.

e: for more complex scenes I'll traditionally capture as many shots in a row as I need to convey the action.

Arist fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Feb 14, 2018

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
I tend to be very comprehensive in my LPs (sometimes unnecessarily so, I worry), so I screenshot basically anything that's a deviation from just walking around, if that makes sense.

For dialogue, I tend to screenshot the beginning of any dialogue, plus any boxes that follow if the original didn't end in a full stop.

Here's an example of what I mean with the latter. From here, or if the original box ended in a full stop, I transcribe the rest.

That last question is kind of tough to answer without knowing what game you're planning on doing, but Arist's edit is good general advice.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

FactsAreUseless posted:

People who have done screenshot LPs: what are some good guidelines for what shots to take and use? How much dialogue should I be transcribing versus screenshotting? How many steps of doing something do people need to see to follow an action?

Most of it's just a judgement call, that's easier to make when writing IMO. Best way to decide what shots to take, though, is to record a video first and then extract screenshots from that via AvsPmod or the like. You might end up with more than you'll use, out of necessity for editting or just changing your mind later, but that's easier to deal with than having to go back way later to retake a thing you missed.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

When it comes to screenshots, I have a simple set of rules.

1) When it's dialogue, I screenshot the first line, then transcribe everything unless something happens on screen.
2) When I end up in a new place that is either fairly different from where I last was, or if the audience hasn't seen it before, screenshot it.
3) When something is happening that involves motion, figure out if I can GIF it first (applies largely only to sprite-based older games that compress really well), then figure out if I can describe it adequately instead. If neither applies, take a couple screenshots and describe as necessary.

Those three rules usually resolve any question I might have to "do I want to screenshot this", though at this point, it almost entirely runs on instinct with me.

And yeah, the optimal way to go about things is to capture lossless footage and then use that to take screenshots from. That way, you're 100% certain you'll get the images you want.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

FactsAreUseless posted:

Regarding screenshotting vs. transcribing: most SSLPs screenshot the entire screen with each screenshot, which leaves the reader wondering if there's non-text stuff going on in the screenshot that they should know about. So either only screenshot for establishing shots / when things change, or only screenshot the portion of the screen that contains the part you want to show to the user. The latter means cropping down your screenshots and very possibly having irregular screenshot sizes depending on how the game handles text boxes. I got a little flak from the sandcastle when I posted test updates that did this, but nobody reading the actual LP ever mentioned it. (And frankly, there was no way I was going to transcribe all the text in that game, it's gigantic)

Don't discount the possibility of including GIFs for action, or the occasional video. Some things don't translate very well with static screenshots.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

FactsAreUseless posted:

If you can find a game transcript online, you'll save yourself so much work in the long run. Being able to copy off a script makes doing dialogue a snap. As far as the "how many steps" thing, it's a gut feeling. I tend to use more screenshots to show actions, but explaining what's happening is also a good route. Or if you can work the necessary black magic, gifs are a great alternative.

But yes, like Dragonatrix said record first. That way you can scrub through the video at your leisure to find the perfect shot instead of mashing the screenshot key while you're playing.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I've considered video, but it's Morrowind, so there would be tons of downtime. Of course I could record video, then edit it and add post-commentary. My concern there would be making text readable.

What is AvsPmod? Any other good video to screenshot programs?

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

FactsAreUseless posted:

I've considered video, but it's Morrowind, so there would be tons of downtime. Of course I could record video, then edit it and add post-commentary. My concern there would be making text readable.

What is AvsPmod? Any other good video to screenshot programs?

AvsPmod is an IDE-like editor for AviSynth scripts. It lets you scrub through the active script/video frame by frame and take screenshots of the current frame.

It looks like this.

Rea fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Feb 14, 2018

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

FactsAreUseless posted:

The video is to make it easier for you to grab screenshots; you wouldn't (necessarily) be uploading it to YouTube or whatever. It just helps ensure that you don't have to try to time hitting the screenshot button with whatever event you want to record.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
AvsPmod is my lord and saviour.

Technically almost any video editor will do the basic job of letting you scrub through a video and find ~the perfect frame~ to use as your screenshot but AvsPmod adds a lot of useful extra features, like being able to dump all the frames from between two bookmarks to turn into a gif, and generally just being able to edit the avisynth script in real time to get your output looking exactly how you want it. Hit up the Tech Support thread if you want your ear talked off about this stuff and how much it rules, and how to use it to Get Results.

The only real advice about what screenshots you should use I have is... basically just to follow your gut, try things, and read them yourself while trying to imagine you haven't just spent the last hour staring at the video version, to see if it works. I guess, broadly, you're going to have the kinds of pictures that just punctuate the narration - the stuff that sets the scenes and lets people get their bearings - and the kinds where you specifically want to show people something, like a pretty landscape or a funny looking model or a nifty animation.

If you're doing any in-depth explainer/tutorial expert-level kind of playthrough then obviously you'll want to be thorough in making sure people can follow along with what you're doing and where you're going, but if you're doing a chill, humourous, not-getting-caught-up-in-minutiae-but-look-what-cool-poo poo-I-did-today kind of thing you probably shouldn't overthink it too much

Transcription in games like this works on similar principles; if something happens during the conversation that warrants a screenshot - whether that's some visual thing or just a really important line you want to emphasise - then maybe screenshot that. Otherwise, yeah, in a long conversation you mostly want to have talking-heads rather than fifty consecutive screencaps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
I know there have been instances of people deleting their LPs after years because they couldn't stand them anymore.
Has there ever been a case of someone redoing an LP of the same game they LPd ages ago because they felt the quality was not up to par? Asking for a friend