Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Lock picking sucks, and the pickpocketing is worse. The training scenario is unbeatable, at least for me. During the first phase, its entirely up in the air whether i get detected or not. And when I do happen to access the next menu, the timer is so short I can barely see the menu, much less do anything. What gives? Is it a bug?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

You have to hold the button down to give yourself more time to rummage through the person's pockets, but the chance of getting caught goes up the longer you hold the button. It's tricky, but not terrible, I don't think.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

The deeper red it goes, the more likely you are about to get caught, I believe. Once in, you have to go to the pocket, select the item and make it to the door icon in time. It's janky, and awkward. And far too easy to get caught doing..

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I use it to train stealth. Level 5 motherfuckers time to stab people.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Krolm posted:

Well, I caved and installed the save anywhere mod after losing 45 minutes of play after a random rear end pickpocket detection. Honestly, I'm amazed they went for this save system with the way pickpocketing is almost entirely luck based it seems.

I'm amazed they went with this bullshit system considering you can get turbofucked to death by REALLY weird stuff. Like try to fast travel through a town? Chances are you'll be attacked by a guard whose been following you demanding to check your bags / light a torch for 3 km and is now in aggro mode.

Go for a walk in the woods? Whoops there's 8 Cumans in top armor and gear, oh and btw they're faster than you and literally don't run out of stamina so you're dead.

Add to this the game breaking bugs this game is lousy with, and the save system is just so loving bad.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Pylons posted:

You have to hold the button down to give yourself more time to rummage through the person's pockets, but the chance of getting caught goes up the longer you hold the button. It's tricky, but not terrible, I don't think.

I think there's a bug somewhere in that "hold the button" stage though, as sometimes you will almost immediately get caught when it begins (even by sleeping people).

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Der Shovel posted:

I'm amazed they went with this bullshit system considering you can get turbofucked to death by REALLY weird stuff. Like try to fast travel through a town? Chances are you'll be attacked by a guard whose been following you demanding to check your bags / light a torch for 3 km and is now in aggro mode.

Go for a walk in the woods? Whoops there's 8 Cumans in top armor and gear, oh and btw they're faster than you and literally don't run out of stamina so you're dead.

Add to this the game breaking bugs this game is lousy with, and the save system is just so loving bad.

I wonder what it was like to QA this game? If they had this save system during QA, lol..

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Lock picking is satisfying because when you click it you feel like you really accomplished something. Pickpocketing blows because it feels entirely random.

Related, I did some testing. It appears that any item that was stolen but is under 400 gold in value will have it's stolen tag fall off after a day or two. Anything above 400 gold will never fall off (I waited five days and still nothing) and must be sold to an actual fence.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Bow shooting in this game is so awful I turned on my monitor crosshair. You can just see it shaking all over which makes rabbit hunting hard as hell.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Trying to lockpick a chest and every time it opens the two sleeping people nearby immediately stand up. Can't even kill the two in their sleep since they apparently lie there with their eyes open

Vastakaiun
Apr 16, 2008

I exterminate half the hare population in Bohemia and this dick tells me I suck at hunting.

That whole hunting quest is ridiculous. Doesn't matter that you can't shoot an arrow straight to save your life, you can just run next to any of the million bunnies around and shoot it.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
daaamn check out this comely horse

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I basically have to restart at this point as my reputation is so low in all the cities thanks to my many crimes, that now none of the shopowners will talk to me and my money is worthless. The game is apparently closer to Oblivion style guard awareness than I realized. poo poo ah well

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Taintrunner posted:

I basically have to restart at this point as my reputation is so low in all the cities thanks to my many crimes, that now none of the shopowners will talk to me and my money is worthless. The game is apparently closer to Oblivion style guard awareness than I realized. poo poo ah well

Your rep only goes down if you get caught or there are witnesses, reputation travels a bit too

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Taintrunner posted:

If you have garbage reputation you can get thrown in jail and reset it to positive. Not very positive, but like 18

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

so what are the consequences for taking miller missions, is my reputation gonna be hosed?

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

The archery shakes are pretty absurd. Do they get better as you level up? It is also a weird idea in a game that likes to trumpet realism and immersion. IRL I have no particular skill at archery but I don't wobble around like I'm having a seizure.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

FuzzySlippers posted:

The archery shakes are pretty absurd. Do they get better as you level up? It is also a weird idea in a game that likes to trumpet realism and immersion. IRL I have no particular skill at archery but I don't wobble around like I'm having a seizure.

Something I noticed which allowed me to get a bullseye on basically every shot in the competition - for me, at least, the wobbling was only happening from side to side, not up and down.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

frajaq posted:

so what are the consequences for taking miller missions, is my reputation gonna be hosed?

Don't get caught.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Is there no way to train archery? I'm at the point where I should be able to but I guess it's BYOB (Bring Your Own Bow)?

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Got this on PS4 and put about six hours in so far. I’m knocking around Rattay, but I seem to have encountered a problem- I can’t use any beds. Even the one at the first place you wake up post-prologue; I get the ‘sit’ prompt but nothing happens when I press x. Given the retarded save system it means that I have only one more opportunity to save beyond auto saving due to lack of schnapps/money for schnapps, and of course it doesn’t save on quit.

If I was on the pc it’d be modding time, but PS4. Any workarounds or am
I just completely out of luck and needing to restart?

Woohoo
Apr 1, 2008

GyverMac posted:

Lock picking sucks, and the pickpocketing is worse. The training scenario is unbeatable, at least for me. During the first phase, its entirely up in the air whether i get detected or not. And when I do happen to access the next menu, the timer is so short I can barely see the menu, much less do anything. What gives? Is it a bug?

You need to queue up like 7 seconds to fetch the dagger from farthest slot. And more often than not you'll be "caught" in 5 or 6 seconds. I think the color behind number, red to green, shows how quickly you can move between pocket slots

It's a total idiocy though. Pickpocketing in Skyrim sucked balls and this is supposed to be Skyrim killer?

Woohoo fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Feb 14, 2018

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I still think that's an odd comparison. The Skyrim killer where you can't roll a character or change their class? You can't really be a thief you can just take off your armor and steal some things but you are a wannabe knight no matter what. If it is like any Bethesda game it is Redguard.

Even those Gothic (or related) games where the character was stuck at least had distinct fighter / thief / wizard choices. Here its more like Batman. Do you want to get better at punching first or sneaking? You can fill out both eventually but you get the choice of which first.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

frajaq posted:

Only if you get caught and leave witnesses

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Sheep posted:

Don't get caught.

Phi230 posted:

Only if you get caught and leave witnesses

glad to hear

he's the fencer for stolen stuff too, right?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

frajaq posted:

glad to hear

he's the fencer for stolen stuff too, right?

He isn't, but once you get the ring he will send you to the guy who is.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

He isn't, but once you get the ring he will send you to the guy who is.

That dude doesn't even have a fast travel point which is bullshit.

Got the stealth stabbing skill and man, these nameless townspeople and villagers are hosed. If i run across anyone by themselves out on the road its stabby time. Those random dudes on the road wanna duel me? Win or lose its stabby time.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Also holy poo poo captain bernard does NOT gently caress around if you do mace practice with him.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Oh dang you can fail quests if you take too long to do them, failed the one in Sasau monastery (I think) where you got to save a patientby making him a potion.

Also I broke my starting horse while taking him to the place where you buy an actual horse

Buccaneer
Jun 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I am going to keep calling this game condom cum until they let you play as an african american

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Black people never existed back in the olden days, the lead dev told me himself

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Buccaneer posted:

I am going to keep calling this game condom cum until they let you play as an african american

I'd play Shaft in bohemia

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Jusupov posted:

Also I broke my starting horse while taking him to the place where you buy an actual horse

Whistle (x) and it unbreaks them.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Party Plane Jones posted:

Whistle (x) and it unbreaks them.

Can't whistle the starting horse since it's just a quest horse or something

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, I went all the way back to when you wake up at the miller's and am playing it straight, it feels a lot better now that I'm done with the combat tutorial, that poo poo actually makes some sense now. Aiming your sword blows and the rapidness of it all makes it start to feel like a rhythm game, in a sense.

Turkina_Prime
Oct 26, 2013

So you can get rich just selling herbs. Grab those nettles folks!

dpf
Sep 17, 2011

Anyone know how to level up stealth other than paying? I'm just poo poo atm

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

DangerousDan posted:

Knock out and rob sleeping people. Then you can also stab them to death for sword exp

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

If I strip down to my skivvies no one seems to spot me but I haven't tried pickpocket so this is just for riffling through noble's poo poo. Stealth skill hasn't moved at all.

I think the melee combat system is pretty cool, but it seems a shame so far the directional control is pointless. As someone mentioned misdirecting a strike doesn't seem to lessen the chance they'll block or parry. I haven't noticed a big difference striking people on their less armored bits. Parry striking seems the most important skill.

When you pull off a few parry strikes it feels very cinematic. Squaring off with a group and trying to keep them at distance before parrying and hitting each as they came in felt better than any first person melee game I can recall. When that mocap animation is working right it is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

DangerousDan posted:

Crouch while lockpicking and pick-pocketing. I leveled it up by doing the pick-pocket training over and over again.