Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
Is there a legit way to get older versions of Pages? I'm still on El Capitan, but I need to work with someone on a Pages document.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Baronash posted:

Is there a legit way to get older versions of Pages? I'm still on El Capitan, but I need to work with someone on a Pages document.

App Store version doesn’t work?

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
Sierra is the minimum now.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

What about the iCloud version? That should just run in your browser.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

funmanguy posted:

yeah, that seems to be a dealbreaker for my bosses. oh well.

I would echo the "get help" sentiment too, but I get it. Definitely read up on the Jamf Pro Admin Guide if you're going it alone. How many clients are you looking at managing? How are they deployed 1:1, labs, both?

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
What's the best driver for an XBox 360 Wired Controller? I found a few searching Google and other sites but I'm not sure if one is better/more reputable than others. I'm running High Sierra if that makes a difference.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I use this and it works absolutely flawlessly.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

nitsuga posted:

I would echo the "get help" sentiment too, but I get it. Definitely read up on the Jamf Pro Admin Guide if you're going it alone. How many clients are you looking at managing? How are they deployed 1:1, labs, both?

Both. I think the CIO is going to decline. I have made it known that it would be much better to pay for the guy to come down and work with us. Might happen in the future, but not this year.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Is there a way to prevent the dock from popping up when a particular application is in front?

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

wdarkk posted:

Is there a way to prevent the dock from popping up when a particular application is in front?

You can fullscreen it

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Pivo posted:

I use this and it works absolutely flawlessly.

This works great, thanks!

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

The Milkman posted:

You can fullscreen it

Not an option due to app "design" problems. I'll try just putting the dock on the side.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Question for you guys...I feel liek im overthinking this and can't find the answer but is there anwyay to move eamil from Mac Mail to Outlook 365? I did a google search that said to save it as a mbox but this girl has literally 8k emails she needs transferred so it just doesn't work or is VERY slow, even for about 20 emails. Is there a easier way or a way to export as PST?

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

funmanguy posted:

Both. I think the CIO is going to decline. I have made it known that it would be much better to pay for the guy to come down and work with us. Might happen in the future, but not this year.

Sure, keep it interesting. How many? 100s, 1,000s? I can PM some of the things we’ve got that work pretty well (policies, maybe a config profile or two). We’re moving to DEP for our Macs, so a lot is going to change, but we’ve got some of the framework.

Anyway, I think the basics are pretty intuitive and you can do a lot with a little. You can always throw questions out on Jamf Nation, plenty of helpful guys there. Otherwise, even the IT thread here has some Jamf folks.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Empress Brosephine posted:

Question for you guys...I feel liek im overthinking this and can't find the answer but is there anwyay to move eamil from Mac Mail to Outlook 365? I did a google search that said to save it as a mbox but this girl has literally 8k emails she needs transferred so it just doesn't work or is VERY slow, even for about 20 emails. Is there a easier way or a way to export as PST?

I don't think you can export it as a PST.

You could try adding her O365 account to Mail.app and then essentially copy/pasting the old emails into the O365 account.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

nitsuga posted:

Sure, keep it interesting. How many? 100s, 1,000s? I can PM some of the things we’ve got that work pretty well (policies, maybe a config profile or two). We’re moving to DEP for our Macs, so a lot is going to change, but we’ve got some of the framework.

Anyway, I think the basics are pretty intuitive and you can do a lot with a little. You can always throw questions out on Jamf Nation, plenty of helpful guys there. Otherwise, even the IT thread here has some Jamf folks.

We've only got like 250 macs on campus. Fun thing is the inventory data is really poorly maintained, and I just started a couple months ago, so we could have another 100 or so macbook pros that live offsite.

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC
Anyone have experience running windows off an external SSD on your mac? I've tried a few different methods I managed to scrounge up (like this one: https://hackernoon.com/how-to-run-bootcamp-windows-10-on-a-usb3-86551dc3def8), but nothing seems to be working. Anyone done it in the pass with success?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Installing Windows on a USB drive, Bootcamp or no is entering a world of pain. I think MS has an official way to do it on approved drives, but I don't think it's really meant to be on a USB drive.

I just install Bootcamp on my Mac normally, and then because Windows can't use the Fusion Drive properly (no access to the SSD, so Windows is slooow), I use a USB SSD to install games/apps and to store my Chrome profile so at least those load at a decent speed.

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

I tried the bootcamp approach, when it goes to install windows it throws me a partition error (even with no other devices connected). I thought maybe since I have a 250 gb Samsung T5 it'd actually be better to try to run off of that, but man I just can't seem to get it to work.

On a side note, gently caress Advanced Mac Cleaner. I've tried to get rid of it probably 50 times now using all sorts of different tips, and still it comes back.

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal
This is the guide I used a couple of years ago to get the same kinda setup going.

http://bleeptobleep.blogspot.com/2013/02/mac-install-windows-7-or-8-on-external.html

Pretty sure I used VMWare for all the windowsy bits. If you happen to have access to a copy of enterprise or education editions of windows they include a windows to go tool that automates all this stuff. You used to be able to download a 30 day trial of enterprise but i'm not sure if that is the case anymore.

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Actually education is exactly what I’m trying to use. I’ll give this a try!

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jose Oquendo posted:

I don't think you can export it as a PST.

You could try adding her O365 account to Mail.app and then essentially copy/pasting the old emails into the O365 account.

This worked, thanks :D

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

FiestaDePantalones posted:

I tried the bootcamp approach, when it goes to install windows it throws me a partition error (even with no other devices connected). I thought maybe since I have a 250 gb Samsung T5 it'd actually be better to try to run off of that, but man I just can't seem to get it to work.

On a side note, gently caress Advanced Mac Cleaner. I've tried to get rid of it probably 50 times now using all sorts of different tips, and still it comes back.

Are you on APFS/High Sierra?

The new file system stores constant time machine snapshots in all the free space. You need to use terminal and tmutil to delete those snapshots before boot camp will work.

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

I am, and I didn't know that! I found an Apple support thread regarding deleting them, so I'm going to give that a try, though I think I'd still rather have everything windows related on my external and my mac's hard drive not partitioned at all. Is that possible?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

I am, and I didn't know that! I found an Apple support thread regarding deleting them, so I'm going to give that a try, though I think I'd still rather have everything windows related on my external and my mac's hard drive not partitioned at all. Is that possible?

Not without constant headaches. I just gave it 60gb and use a t5 250gb for everything else and it works great. Though sometimes I wiggle the SSD loose and it all comes crashing down but it’s not a huge deal.

its HIM
Oct 22, 2013

tuyop posted:

The new file system stores constant time machine snapshots in all the free space. You need to use terminal and tmutil to delete those snapshots before boot camp will work.

This is a goddamn abomination that needs to end.

I like to work on my files locally and then move them to my NAS when I'm done with a project. So, load 200 GB to the local drive, work a few days, offload them to the NAS, repeat.

Except it fails to give me my space back every. loving. time. because of those local TM snapshots.

This is a desktop computer with a permanently-attached TM drive that is perfectly up to date - why do these snapshots exist at all, much less lingering for days after the original files are gone? I'm sick of having to manually remove them in Terminal. The most brain-dead "feature" ever.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
I prefer to avoid time machine altogether. I stopped storing anything work related on a local volume. If I am doing the work on a large dmgs or somesuch, I just vnc into a server connected to a chunk of the SAN. I've seen enough gently caress ups with time machine to not feel comfortable using it in any situation.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
What's the best way to purchase MS Office for Mac? Should I go directly to MS or Apple's App store? Are there reputable shops for discount codes/downloads?

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

First make sure your school/employer don’t provide it for free.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo

First make sure your school/employer don’t provide it for free.

Yeah, already tried that. No dice.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Go directly to MS. Mac App Store sucks. I try to keep software licenses far away from that thing as much as I can.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
Ask your job to provide 365 for you. :D

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

SnatchRabbit posted:

What's the best way to purchase MS Office for Mac? Should I go directly to MS or Apple's App store? Are there reputable shops for discount codes/downloads?

Definitely purchase from MS. Amazon offer product codes for Personal (1 user) and Home (5 users) that are supplied by MS, but there are enough complaints about them that I’d stick with MS on these.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
I'm very happy with my family's subscription to Office 365, especially as it means it's on my laptop, my wife's laptop, the family desktop, and all the iPads/iPhones in the family, with no hassle.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Not that anyone seems to give a poo poo, but macOS High Sierra 10.13.3 Supplemental Update is out, it fixes the bug where you can crash if someone sends you an iMessage with a specific Telugu character.

It was about 40 MB and patches macOS X 10.13.3 to build 17D102.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Proteus Jones posted:

Definitely purchase from MS. Amazon offer product codes for Personal (1 user) and Home (5 users) that are supplied by MS, but there are enough complaints about them that I’d stick with MS on these.

You can often pick up a 1-year prepaid subscription at heavily discounted prices on Amazon too. On Black Friday, for example, I got a code for 50% off. I haven't paid full price for a long while.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I know it's possible to dual boot with Linux on a Mac. And I know it's possible to run Linux in a VM.

However, is it possible to do both? Have the Mac setup for dual booting, and if I need to do a quick thang, can I access that second partition in a VM?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Parallels can do it with Windows. See if that’ll work? It’s paid so feel free to ask sales

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

VMWare Fusion will do the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I did exactly that with Wandows and Fusion, so I can't imagine Linux being any different.